• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My current main may be holding me back so I want some advice

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
My current main is luigi, I love his playstyle and know almost everything about him but lately I've been thinking maybe I should swap mains but there aren't very many characters I really enjoy playing, I was thinking maybe puff she's my current second and I kinda like the way falcon moves, but I really don't know, I place really low at my weeklies but that doesn't bother me much, it's mainly that I feel like players don't take me seriously since I play such a low tier character

GenNyan

Smash Ace
If its mostly that you don't want people to look down on you, switching mains probably won't fix that. Beating them definitely will.

If you're good, you'll be taken seriously, no matter what character you main. It's just that playing well with a worse character is more difficult

Twinkles

Smash Lord
it might be kinda true though that they'd play a little more seriously against a better character, if only because they think more about using said character as a punching bag

it also seems true that most people just do not enjoy playing against luigi, might make it harder for you to get some serious games in with good players

but then again, you don't have to play them a lot, play enough to learn stuff you could improve on, spend the rest of your time practicing execution, then get good enough to where they can't ignore you

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
Okay, it
it might be kinda true though that they'd play a little more seriously against a better character, if only because they think more about using said character as a punching bag

it also seems true that most people just do not enjoy playing against luigi, might make it harder for you to get some serious games in with good players

but then again, you don't have to play them a lot, play enough to learn stuff you could improve on, spend the rest of your time practicing execution, then get good enough to where they can't ignore you
Yeah, I have my execution down, I'm just not that great because I can't practice that often

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Why do you care? If you want them to take you seriously, kick their butts when they sandbag and they will. I played Yoshi at my bracket and beat someone who was trying seriously. It's more important to be better, than just blaming your character for others attitudes. Plus Luigi isn't that low of a character. Certainly not a Roy.

weegee the green wonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hamby1
3DS FC
0232-9266-0923
Why do you care? If you want them to take you seriously, kick their butts when they sandbag and they will. I played Yoshi at my bracket and beat someone who was trying seriously. It's more important to be better, than just blaming your character for others attitudes. Plus Luigi isn't that low of a character. Certainly not a Roy.
You're right, it just got me down when I can't practice very often against actual people and I lose when I can play them, but I'm not gonna sit around and John about it, I'm gonna lab it up get pixel perfect and beat these guys, then I shall be content, thanks alot, I really mean it thanks

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Any improving player will realize they will never have their execution down, and it especially shows against people they lose to lmao

If you can't play often with people, be as focused as possible to learn as much as you can in the time you get. Physically taking notes can also help you jot stuff you can work/think about on your own time in case you forget.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
I get it, but going to weeklies is your practice. Ask what you are doing wrong. Sometimes something obvious to your opponent is completely foreign to you. Maybe quirks in your style give easy reads, maybe your opponent knows a point in your tech you don't do amazingly and are punishing it. And don't think of it as work, think of it as a learning experience and enjoy the process. This is a game after all.

Hikori

Smash Rookie
Okay, it

Yeah, I have my execution down, I'm just not that great because I can't practice that often
Thing is, I need to point out, if your issue is being unable to practice, luigi isn't holding you back, time and dedication is (or possible lack of it) and switching mains probably isn't going to help that much, because while higher tier characters offer easier forgiveness and higher potential, lack of ability to practice will likely result in you being unable to reach that potential. While the growth may be easier in theory, and you should consider practice a higher tier character to understand how they work to better your matchups, the end result will probably be you losing the same matches if it were just your character is holding you back. (aside from character counters, but still, that's besides the point.)

Not meant as a strike on you, just trying to put dedication into perspective.

Max?

Smash Champion
My current main is luigi, I love his playstyle and know almost everything about him but lately I've been thinking maybe I should swap mains but there aren't very many characters I really enjoy playing, I was thinking maybe puff she's my current second and I kinda like the way falcon moves, but I really don't know, I place really low at my weeklies but that doesn't bother me much, it's mainly that I feel like players don't take me seriously since I play such a low tier character
If you know everything about the character then you should be beating people and placing in tournaments. There is more to this game than just hitting buttons. I would say continue using Luigi, do not stress what others think about you, have fun, and just improve. If you really love this game and enjoy playing Luigi, over time you will get the results you want. Have a good attitude and have fun with it

PinballWizard00

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pinballwizard00
3DS FC
3325-1688-9149
Considering how Luigi has been doing recently, I'd say try to find a training partner and keep on improving your Luigi. Once you beat people and develop your Luigi well, before you know it, you'll be a great Luigi main.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Luigi is low tier. Isn't he apart of or at least at the borderline of the viable characters?

Anyways, Luigi is extremely fun. I think I enjoy my matchups vs fast fallers using Luigi a lot more than using Fox. When you start to really punishing those spacies and getting them with those long combos I am sure people are going to take you seriously. Get a tech chase or missed tech punish Shoryuken while you're at it. If you move clean and you're confident as well as a swell person to play against I can't see that being a bad thing.

Be careful about labbing. Labbing can only take you so far in terms of tech skill but you have to actually learn how to play the game. Playing human opponents and making quick and smart decisions is Melee, not tech skill (okay, maybe some tech skill). If you can, try playing online! It's great!

Good luck!

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
Even if you don't get much of an opportunity to play with others, there's still plenty you can practice on your own. With Luigi, wavedashing is going to be HUGE. If you can't wavedash 100 times in a row without jumping or rolling, that's still something you can focus on. And if you can? Start messing around with different wavedash lengths. Try going to Pokemon Stadium and hitting specific points on the map with different length wavedashes. Wavelanding effectively really speeds Luigi up too, and can watch Abate and see how quickly he slides around the map. Obviously experience against other players is incredibly important, but between L-canceling (including after hitting an enemy), Out of Shield options (aerials/ wavedashing oos, upsmash, up-b), and comboing cpus, there is still a ton that you can work on by yourself. The more work you can do on your own, the more you'll benefit when you do get time to play with other people because you'll have a ton of new tricks to try out, and you hopefully won't be dropping games because your execution is off.

EpicLuigiFan

Smash Cadet
Even if you don't get much of an opportunity to play with others, there's still plenty you can practice on your own. With Luigi, wavedashing is going to be HUGE. If you can't wavedash 100 times in a row without jumping or rolling, that's still something you can focus on. And if you can? Start messing around with different wavedash lengths. Try going to Pokemon Stadium and hitting specific points on the map with different length wavedashes. Wavelanding effectively really speeds Luigi up too, and can watch Abate and see how quickly he slides around the map. Obviously experience against other players is incredibly important, but between L-canceling (including after hitting an enemy), Out of Shield options (aerials/ wavedashing oos, upsmash, up-b), and comboing cpus, there is still a ton that you can work on by yourself. The more work you can do on your own, the more you'll benefit when you do get time to play with other people because you'll have a ton of new tricks to try out, and you hopefully won't be dropping games because your execution is off.
Luigi is one of those characters with loads of advantages and disadvantages.

For example, his combos (despite the ultimate nerf in his d throw) are still very strong in the aerials, his up air can combo a lot of fast fallers and potentially those floaty characters and a potential finish with neutral or Luigi cyclone. And his Super Jump Punch tends to kill under 80% with loads of characters. His Luigi Missle can help approach and recover, amounts those traits, his has amongst the best jumping and recover (darn it Falco).

However if used incorrectly the Jump Punch will be his downfall, his cyclone can be countered easily his moves may not have a lot of lag but technically not much damage and knockback outside specials, his back throws and back aerials, and the last one has the most lag of all his aerials.

So consider this when choosing a main, what are their best advantages, their weaknesses how can you counter his weaknesses, how can you combo all characters, and what happens if you face your own main and they know more about them then you do?

Take your research to realisable resources and players with experience and happy smash

Last edited:

Diosama

Stand User
Uh Luigi ain't low tier bro, but that's not important. Try to balance your play of Puff and Luigi, see if you get any varying results. If so, I. E. Puff places you higher, consider switching. If not, it's not the character, it's you, in which case you just gotta practice

Top Bottom