• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My concept for a Captain Toad Sequel

Otoad64

Smash Lord
this is an idea I had for a Captain Toad sequel, that i'm calling Captain Toad: Labyrinth.

now, there may be some problems with this concept that would need to be ironed out depending on how bowser's fury ends up panning out, but this would bridge the gap between 3D World and Bowser's Fury.

It begins at the climax of 3D world, mario is hitting the giant POW Block, but we see that Captain Toad and Toadette are actually climbing on meowser's back, intending on retrieving the fairies. Mario then hits the POW Block a final time, sending Meowser flying, and exploding into a firework, except he isn't dead obviously, he just lost his power-up

we then cut to a rocky island, with a large hole near the center of it, decending down into what one would think is a cavern. Bowser, Captain Toad and Toadette all fall down the hole, we then cut to the inside where Toad lands in what look like underground ruins, and gameplay then begins.

the gameplay would, at it's core, be similar to the original game, however instead of collecting power stars, every level is now interconnected, with save spots in between to save, change characters and stuff like that, since captain toad's goal is not to track down treasure but rather to get the heck out of here. all the levels take place in an underground labyrinth, though in order for them to not all blend together the aestetic would differ for each of the challenges, though still sticking with the underground labyrinth theme. as well as including various gimmicks, of course.

There would also be special Yoshi levels, where Toad falls down a hole and onto a Yoshi egg, breaking it and releasing Yoshi. These levels would be larger than usual
he would have different abilities then usual, he can still eat enemies, but instead of making eggs he can now spit the enemies out, allowing for new ways to solve puzzles, and while he can't jump, he can flutter jump shortly in midair.

before every other save spot, there would be a boss. And this would be where the Bowser's Fury tie in would come in, see, Bowser landed in a spring of, let's call it fury goop, basically it's the black goop in Bowser's Fury. this apparently powers up you if you are covered in it, so he contacted junior (don't ask how) to test it. every boss in the game will be a classic mario boss, like Boom Boom or Petey Piranha, but bowser jr would power them up with fury goop.

the final boss would be a toned down version of fury bowser, smaller and less menacing. but then he would fall into all of the fury goop and absorb it all before exploding into a giant blast of fury goop, shooting captain toad into the sky and onto the island, the final level is captain toad trying escape the island as it's overtaken by the goop, eventually escaping with toadette and yoshi on plessie as bowser jr flys off in his clown car looking for help. the final shot is fury bowsers shell cacoon thingy rising out of the water.

I'm open to listening to suggestions or ideas if anyone has any.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
this is an idea I had for a Captain Toad sequel, that i'm calling Captain Toad: Labyrinth.

now, there may be some problems with this concept that would need to be ironed out depending on how bowser's fury ends up panning out, but this would bridge the gap between 3D World and Bowser's Fury.

It begins at the climax of 3D world, mario is hitting the giant POW Block, but we see that Captain Toad and Toadette are actually climbing on meowser's back, intending on retrieving the fairies. Mario then hits the POW Block a final time, sending Meowser flying, and exploding into a firework, except he isn't dead obviously, he just lost his power-up

we then cut to a rocky island, with a large hole near the center of it, decending down into what one would think is a cavern. Bowser, Captain Toad and Toadette all fall down the hole, we then cut to the inside where Toad lands in what look like underground ruins, and gameplay then begins.

the gameplay would, at it's core, be similar to the original game, however instead of collecting power stars, every level is now interconnected, with save spots in between to save, change characters and stuff like that, since captain toad's goal is not to track down treasure but rather to get the heck out of here. all the levels take place in an underground labyrinth, though in order for them to not all blend together the aestetic would differ for each of the challenges, though still sticking with the underground labyrinth theme. as well as including various gimmicks, of course.

There would also be special Yoshi levels, where Toad falls down a hole and onto a Yoshi egg, breaking it and releasing Yoshi. These levels would be larger than usual
he would have different abilities then usual, he can still eat enemies, but instead of making eggs he can now spit the enemies out, allowing for new ways to solve puzzles, and while he can't jump, he can flutter jump shortly in midair.

before every other save spot, there would be a boss. And this would be where the Bowser's Fury tie in would come in, see, Bowser landed in a spring of, let's call it fury goop, basically it's the black goop in Bowser's Fury. this apparently powers up you if you are covered in it, so he contacted junior (don't ask how) to test it. every boss in the game will be a classic mario boss, like Boom Boom or Petey Piranha, but bowser jr would power them up with fury goop.

the final boss would be a toned down version of fury bowser, smaller and less menacing. but then he would fall into all of the fury goop and absorb it all before exploding into a giant blast of fury goop, shooting captain toad into the sky and onto the island, the final level is captain toad trying escape the island as it's overtaken by the goop, eventually escaping with toadette and yoshi on plessie as bowser jr flys off in his clown car looking for help. the final shot is fury bowsers shell cacoon thingy rising out of the water.

I'm open to listening to suggestions or ideas if anyone has any.
I think the game proposal sounds fun, but I am not even familiar with the first Captain Toad! It would be very challenging for designers to think of plans that would eliminate or reduce the monotony of a continuous labyrinth, especially if it were... say, open-world... and what is this fury thing? I keep hearing about Bowser's fury, and now I hear its effects are not confined to Bowser, and that there is some kind of "goo." What is it exactly? (If you think I have been hiding in the wilderness somewhere, you would be right.)

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I think the game proposal sounds fun, but I am not even familiar with the first Captain Toad! It would be very challenging for designers to think of plans that would eliminate or reduce the monotony of a continuous labyrinth, especially if it were... say, open-world... and what is this fury thing? I keep hearing about Bowser's fury, and now I hear its effects are not confined to Bowser, and that there is some kind of "goo." What is it exactly? (If you think I have been hiding in the wilderness somewhere, you would be right.)
well, if you watch the trailer for mario 3D world + Bowser's fury, the "goo" is that stuff on the water where bowser is
the idea i've come up with is that bowser is being powered up by said goo, and that all the bosses in this hypothetical game are also being powered up by it

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
well, if you watch the trailer for mario 3D world + Bowser's fury, the "goo" is that stuff on the water where bowser is
the idea i've come up with is that bowser is being powered up by said goo, and that all the bosses in this hypothetical game are also being powered up by it
Now that is a scary Bowser! Sorry, but I did not actually watch the video (Data concerns are the problem. You may have noticed that I am usually sparing with the use of media in my posts.), though the cover reveals what Bowser should be in Smash Bros!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is really good!

Like the first game, you've done a good job integrating other Mario games into this one.

Can you give an example of a boss battle, how Captain Toad/Toadette defeat the black goop powering up the bosses?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
This is really good!

Like the first game, you've done a good job integrating other Mario games into this one.

Can you give an example of a boss battle, how Captain Toad/Toadette defeat the black goop powering up the bosses?
So, for example Boom Boom:

Captain Toad/Toadette will have just made through part of the labyrinth, before Boom Boom appears, then Bowser Jr. will show up and engulf Boom Boom in the "goop" turning him into "Fury Boom Boom" making him a bit larger and stronger, and slower. as well as making him black, with more spikes and glowing eyes, like Fury Bowser.

so basically he will start spinning, punching the ground, general Boom Boom like stuff however around the large arena there are various switches being covered by glass domes

if you can get boom boom to ram into one of these glass domes and destroy it then you can activate the switch, which will cause a giant turnip to fall out of the sky, which you can then throw at boom boom to deal damage to him, do this 4 times and he is defeated!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Maybe they could give Toad a link costume (based on the Concepts of the original game where link was planned as the main Character)

Top Bottom