• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Analysis of Ness (He's More Powerful Than Ever)

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
I've done some analyzing of Ness over the past couple days, and I gotta say, my first impressions of him are really good. He seems to have been buffed in a couple ways, which he needed pretty badly coming in from Brawl. So let me break it down a bit. I won't be talking about advanced techniques like double jump cancels or wavebouncing, as I don't know which, if any, of these techniques will be present in the game; rather, I'll talk about the basics--special moves, ground and aerials, Smash moves. I haven't seen any other sources talking about this stuff; again, these are completely my first impressions. So on that note, ladies and gentlemen of Smashboards, I offer to you, for your educational and viewing pleasure, a complete (or as complete as I can get from the few resources at this point) analysis of one of the original 12 veterans, Ness:

SPECIAL MOVES: By this I'm talking about Ness's B moves. PK Fire still is like Brawl, where enemies hit by the move will be trapped in a column of fire, but will be able to break out of it by DI-ing out. This move has the potential to do about 30% damage if the enemy remains in the fire for the entire duration of the move--roughly two seconds.
PK Thunder actually has the potential to KO enemies at around 100%--and this is just the bolt alone. I'm not sure how much damage it does because I didn't really see it used too often. PK Jibaku, on the other hand (PK Thunder2 as some of you call it), is VERY strong. It will also do about 30% damage, and as in Brawl it will have the capability to KO opponents at higher percentages, though how low kill percentage is for this move is unknown. The distance Ness receives from this move is also very good, closer to PM's rate than Brawl's rate.
Finally, PSI Magnet is the same as in Brawl, though the actual magnet itself forms a larger circumference than it did in Brawl and PM. It is unknown whether or not this move will have a hitbox like it does in PM, how much it will damage opponents, or how much damage will be healed when a projectile is absorbed.
As far as PK Flash goes, I didn't see it being used at all; the few times I saw it used, the player pressed B and let go right away, so I can't report on how fast and how far PK Flash will travel or how much damage it will do.

BASIC/TILT MOVES: Here I'll talk more on Ness's A moves. So I'll start with his jab. It's pretty much the same from Brawl, and will do about 10% damage if all three jabs are successfully landed. His dash attack will also be within this range, about 10-15% damage (about the same as Brawl), and will be like in Brawl and PM where a ball of energy appears in front of Ness as he performs the attack.
Now for his ground tilts. namely his Side- and Up-tilts, since I haven't seen much Down-tilt action from him. I'll start with the Side-tilt by saying that, while I don't know if the move can be angled like it can in Brawl and PM, it has the capability of dealing about 15% damage to an opponent--a slight but noticeable buff for this move; it is also likely to have KO potential at higher percentages as in Brawl and PM, though this is undetermined at this point. As for his Up-tilt, this move has been altered slightly from Brawl, with the addition of a ball of energy emerging from Ness's hands, similar to his dash attack. By itself, it will do around 10% damage, with an average amount of knockback.

AERIAL MOVES: Ness's aerial moveset has always been, more or less, middle of the road. Every character has five aerial attacks: four that use A and a tilt, and A by itself. I didn't get a chance to see his B-air or U-air being used, but I can at least talk a little bit about the other three aerials, all of which have been slightly modified coming into Sm4sh 3DS.
Ness's N-air, in Brawl, was decent, receiving a slight buff in PM. Here in Sm4sh 3DS, the move has changed slightly. Ness's arms and hands now extend slightly farther out, in the same way this B-air extends his legs and feet, to create a larger hitbox. It is unknown at this time how much damage this move will do, but the Brawl variant did around 10% damage, so I'm estimating it will be somewhere around here.
His F-air has changed slightly also. Whereas in Brawl he leapt outward with his hands extended and a ball of energy protruding from them, here Ness now jumps forward and uses only one hand, but still with a ball of energy protruding outward. First glances seem to point to the fact that the range for this move has been decreased slightly from Brawl. Possible damage rates for this move are unknown.
That brings us to his D-air, historically one of Ness's better options in the air. Like his other aerial moves mentioned here, this move also creates a ball of energy, while still retaining the slight lag between pressing the buttons and Ness performing the move that existed in Brawl. What consequences this will have on the move are unclear, and whether or not this will change the fact that the move creates a Meteor Smash is not yet known. Damage potential for this move is also unknown.

SMASH MOVES: Now we get to the fun part of the analysis. Ness's strongest smash moves is undoubtedly his Side-smash, with his yo-yo typically being used for creating distance or denying someone to return to the stage after being knocked off.
Let's start with his Side-smash--the baseball bat. In Brawl this move was rather slow, and in PM it was sped up slightly. In Sm4sh 3DS, the bat comes out at a speed that's somewhere between these two, though I feel it's slightly closer to PM's execution speed than Brawl's. When uncharged, this move will do about 25-30%, meaning that fully charged, this move has the potential to do some serious damage, not to mention the KO potential of this move.
His Up- and Down-smashes--those involving the yo-yo--feel more or less the same, with Down-smash being nerfed (I'll get to that in a sec). Ness's Up-smash is nowhere near as fast as it is in PM; it's closer to how it was in Brawl, though perhaps a tad faster. When executed without being charged, the damage will be around 15%, with average knockback at low percentages.
It's Ness's Down-smash, though, where a nerf can be found. In Brawl and PM, it didn't matter where an opponent was located; if the yo-yo hit, they would receive roughly the same amount of damage and suffer knockback. This is no longer the case in Sm4sh 3DS. If you are located closer to Ness and not at the farthest extent of the yo-yo, damage will be relatively low (1-5% uncharged), and there will be virtually no knockback. When located at the tip of the hitbox, though, the damage will be around 10-15% uncharged, with some knockback. This will make edge guarding interesting to analyze, seeing how this change-up will alter the way Ness can prevent opponents from getting back onto the stage. Oh, and the yo-yo comes out a little faster than it did in Brawl.

GRABS/THROWS: This is an area I'd love to talk about, as Ness is known for his incredibly fast grabs and strong throws. However, I saw absolutely no grabs or throws made.

So, there you have it. Like I said in the beginning, I am really liking what I'm seeing so far, and Ness's capabilities in the Smash Bros. community have only been buffed along with his powers. I still want to try new characters like Greninja and Mega Man, but I think it's safe to say that you'll be seeing a lot more fire in the not-too-distant future.

Here are some clips I found online that highlight some of the Ness gameplay I watched during some of the live streams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYmgqK7NgM (the first 25 seconds or so before the AI derps)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6C7q99k5-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u3WeHzSe2U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAuGEp6vx6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6mViKUKX4

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
This is a real nice analysis you have done here! I Myself easily noticed the buffs My Boy Ness has gotten, and I very impressed with The Improvements I saw and I have read about!; PK Flash seems partially useless again Ooo Red Text Anyway Ness has a custom PSI Magnet move which draws enemies in and Launches them away and I heard its pretty powerful as well plus Ness has all of Lucas's Specials for Custom Moves which is good? I dunno But I do really think that Ness has a great shot at actually being good this time around which is great!

Ignore the link Sorry I did not mean to post it!

Last edited:

Une

Smash Apprentice
goddamn I would read that except it's in red

Geo1576

Smash Rookie
NNID
geo1576
3DS FC
1306-6256-8837
Since you can change PK Flash to something different, does that mean there could be PK Freeze and something different? I mean what other options are there? Rockin Maybe?

Geo1576

Smash Rookie
NNID
geo1576
3DS FC
1306-6256-8837
each Special has 3 diffrent varients, so what is the third?

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
JoeInky is compiling a list of everyone's custom specials here - Ness' moves have been included.

As for your question, his third custom special is a "rising" PK Flash, which is pink in color and travels straight up instead of coming back down. It apparently can be detonated instantly and has a much larger hitbox than the default, which may be useful for catching characters with good vertical mobility and getting Star KO's after juggles. Can't exactly be used for edgeguarding, though the default is only useful against characters with predictable recoveries anyway.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
As someone who much prefers Lucas, I have a question for you. Besides all four of Lucas's specials being custom moves for Ness, is there anything else that really feels like it carried over from, or was mixed with, Ness's brother from another Mother?

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
As someone who much prefers Lucas, I have a question for you. Besides all four of Lucas's specials being custom moves for Ness, is there anything else that really feels like it carried over from, or was mixed with, Ness's brother from another Mother?
Well the game hasn't come out yet where I live, but from what I can tell, it doesn't appear that much of Lucas's playstyle has been transferred to Ness, outside of his special moves being incorporated as custom move options. I'll have to look into it when I get the game.
If any Japanese players are reading this and can shed some light on this question in the mean time, please feel free!

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
You skipped a lot of things. But what I hate the most so far (haven't played him yet) is that the yoyo stays in his hand when it's charged... Not only does it mean you can't hit people in front or behind you with it while it's charging, but also it makes no ****ing sense since you can't charge a yoyo in your hand IRL, you can do walk the dog IRL. I hope this is one of his custom moves, but seeing how custom moves might not be allowed at tournaments and doesn't work in every online mode I feel like I don't even wanna bother with them because I don't wanna ****ing jump back and forth with moves, I need them to stay the same so I can get better.

tehplanefreak

Smash Rookie
You skipped a lot of things. But what I hate the most so far (haven't played him yet) is that the yoyo stays in his hand when it's charged... Not only does it mean you can't hit people in front or behind you with it while it's charging, but also it makes no ****ing sense since you can't charge a yoyo in your hand IRL, you can do walk the dog IRL. I hope this is one of his custom moves, but seeing how custom moves might not be allowed at tournaments and doesn't work in every online mode I feel like I don't even wanna bother with them because I don't wanna ****ing jump back and forth with moves, I need them to stay the same so I can get better.
First of all, smash moves aren't custom moves. Special moves are. Second, holding the yo-yo in his hand lets Ness use his smashes on ledges. Third, SSB4 isn't meant to reflect real life; they reflect the abilities of video game characters.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
First of all, I didn't know that. Second, why does it matter? He could still use it on a edge. Third, I know... but it doesn't make sense to me and I like when things make sense. And it's about looks as well. Just one of the points. We're both hard core Ness mains, no need to fight brother. Except for in Smash. "Settle it in Smash!" XD

Last edited:
Top Bottom