• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(MW:W Cir) Event 52: Battle to End Hunger- M2K Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The Kansas City Brawl/Melee Scenes will be hosting a tournament to benefit the nonprofit organization that I intern for. The organization, the Jubilee Cafe, is a program that feeds the homeless community of Lawrence through a twice weekly breakfast.

Rather than renting a venue and charging a standard venue fee, we will instead replace the venue fee with a required $5 dollar donation if you want to participate in the events. You can then feel free to donate more if you so desire. Typical groceries for the organization runs at about $250 per week. So 50 smashers would essentially feed between 75-100 of those in need for two mornings.

Venue
Fellowship Hall of First United Methodist Church in Lawrence.

The address is: 946 Vermont St. Lawrence, KS, 66044

The church is located one block of downtown Lawrence. Nearby the venue there are tons of places to shop and eat on Massachusetts St. one block over.

There are multiple parking lots throughout downtown, including two hour free lots adjacent to the venue and a free all day parking structure 3 blocks from the venue.

Cost/Donations/Payouts

$5 Venue fee/Donation
$10 Melee Singles
$20 Melee Doubles (per team)
$10 Brawl Singles
$20 Brawl Doubles (per team)

We will also accept setups of both TV's and Wiis/Gamecubes with respective games in leiu of a $5 donation.

Payouts will be standard except 15% will be entered into the KS-IA-NE-MO Circuit Pot in Brawl. They will be determined by number of entrants and percentage of entrants total fees collected unless I can find some form of sponsorship for the tournament:

Totals of pot awarded (after Circuit Cut for Brawl only):
1st=52%
2nd=26%
3rd=14%
4th=8%

Housing:

Unfortunately for Brawl Players, KC is fairly limited in housing in terms of being right next to the Venue. A majority of the housing will be closer to KC which is about 40 minutes away from Lawrence. However, my apartment in Lawrence could house 5 players from OoS if needed, more if you guys don't mind being cramped. Let me know if you are able to house people and I'll add you to the list on the thread.

(Lux) (5):
Stealth Raptor (5):
Jace08 (6):
Perfect Duck (4/8): Iowa

Rules:

Brawl

We will be using the BBR Universal Ruleset: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032

However, I'm going to be amending a few for the tournament. If there is no amendment, assume it's BBRUR:
* Players will be permitted to have coaching that sits with them during the match and may assist them. Between games, players may individually take up to 3 minutes to consult players but must make a counterpick or ban choice within 3 minutes of the previous match ending. If you do not make a CP or Ban choice within 3 minutes of the first game ending, you will lose that game. The lone exception to this is if there was a ruling question that required a TO's attention.
* Colorblind Rule: If a player is colorblind, they may choose their teams color. Teams with Lucario, Sonic and Pokemon Trainer must use Blue Team.
*- Winners Finals, Loser Finals, and Grand Finals will all be played on a Wii designated by a MW:W Circuit Official. Matches will not be considered valid unless approved beforehand.
*Sportmanship is mandatory - If you are caught performing unsportsmanlike conduct by the TO, you will be given a warning. After the warning if there is a second infraction, you will be disqualified from the tournament. This includes the use of inappropriate language including swearing and all forms of harassment.

Stage Lists--

Starters:

Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island
Final Destination
Pokémon Stadium 2

Counterpick stages: (each player receives 1 ban per set)

Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Brinstar
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon
Pictochat
Rainbow Cruise

For the circuit, it has been stated that we should for the most part use random seeding. Since most people don't like random seeding for bracket, I'm tentatively going to run the tournament on a compromise.

We will be doing random pools seeded with most likely 4-6 players each depending on number of setups. Pool play will consist of Best of 1 matches from stage striking from the entire stage list. EVERYONE will make it to bracket. Pool play is just there to help seed. If you are running late, you have the option to forfeit your pool sets, but you will be seeded as a bottom seed.

I will be very strict about DQing people because of time constraints. And I will not hesitate to kick people off of tv's regardless if it's a friendly or moneymatch. You have been warned.

Please read the above information carefully. By participating, you are agreeing to follow all rules. Any failure to do so can and will result in you being asked to leave (no refund). Also by participating you are agreeing not to hold us responsible for any property or personal loss or damage.

Melee

* All matches will be 4 stock matches, with a time limit set to 7 minutes.
* All sets will be the best out of 3 matches, except for the finals which are best out of 5.
* Items are OFF.
* If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.
* Wobbling is legal
* You will be disqualified if you use any freezing glitches, such as the Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo's Soul Stunner.
* Any non-first party controllers must be inspected by an official before use.
* Performance altering controller modifications are not allowed.
* Stalling a match is not allowed (such as wall-jumping under Battlefield), but recovery tactics such as Peach's Wall-Bombing, and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed.
* Dave's Modified Stupid Rule will be in effect. No player may pick a stage he's won on during one set.
* Pausing during a match will result in a loss of one stock during the match being played.

Neutrals 1v1:

* FD
* Yoshi's Story
* Dreamland
* Battlefield
* Fountain of Dreams

Neutrals 2v2:

* FD
* Yoshi's Story
* Dreamland
* Battlefield
* Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 1v1:

* Kongo Jungle
* Brinstar
* Rainbow Cruise
* Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:

* Kongo Jungle
* Brinstar
* Rainbow Cruise

Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. Loser choses ban before next match.

One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.

Modified DSR: You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player.

The player choice clause!:: If both players agree to a rule outside of this ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.

Sportsmanship: It's important to remember that the venue is a church. Please refrain from using excessive inappropriate language or inappropriate behavior. This type of offense will be determined on a case by case basis by the TO's. You will be given a formal warning in the event it's determined to be warranted. On a repeated offense, you will be asked to leave. No refunds will be issued to those DQ'd for any reason.

Tentative Schedule on May 7th:

9am - Venue Setup
10am - Doors Open/Registration/Friendlies
11am - Singles Pools Begins
1:30 pm - Doubles Brackets
6 pm - Singles Bracket
12am - Venue closes

Contact Info:

TO - (Lux) - Philip ***uto - (785) 691-8560 - or PM/VM me - LOL @last name being censored.
Assistant TO for Melee -AmBa LaNce

DeLux

Attending Players

Brawl
Kansas City:
Rick City :metaknight: :metaknight:
(Lux) :popo: Wii/TV
Stealth Raptor :pikachu2: Wii/TV
Quote :kirby2: Wii/TV
Dnyce :mario2: Wii/TV
Ares :falco:
Scrub :metaknight:
Perfect Duck :rob:
Rockstar:lucas: Wii/TV
Lalu :pit:

Wichita

Zeton
Domo
Holms
4rce
leatherhead93

Manhattan
ENSiS

Missouri
Tmacc
Hylian
Radium88
Nicole
Future

Iowa

BPx
Joker
NoM
Wang
Yink

Nebraska:
MegaRobMan

Out of Region
Mew2King
Denti

Melee
Jace08
HondaFoo
DMac
Massive
z
phat
bunnyavenger
joemotion
pyro
jfro
raith
rezo
jturley
strong bad

Springfield MO Crew 4-6

Nebraska Melee Crew 4-10

PEEF!

DotHack

Smash Apprentice
rather than renting a venue and charging a standard venue fee, we will instead replacing the venue fee with a required $5 dollar donation if you want to participate in the event
Sounds like a venue fee to me. :dazwa:

DeLux

Sounds like a venue fee to me. :dazwa:
A standard venue fee goes to an organization that is a private entity to pay for renting a facility. This sort of "venue fee" is a donation because it goes to a non profit organization and not actually to the church who is providing the venue for us.

DeLux

If someone has recording equipment, the venue has internet so I imagine we could even do a livestream haha

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Is there any kind of estimate for this event as far as the melee turnout goes? If it's anything half decent, I'm sure my crew here in Springfield would be down for the drive. Mapquest says it's only a 3.25 hour drive, so once it gets us lost once or twice we're only looking at a four hour commute, which would be reasonable for a decent turnout.

What do you think?

DeLux

I'm going to be advertising this heavily at KU. Because it's a charitable event, the Center of Community Outreach which I coordinate through, is going to let me use their public relations budget to advertise in the university news paper from what I understand.

Smash is played heavily throughout the dorms I know for sure. I might incorporate N64 into the mix of tournies as well just to see if I can't get more casual player turnout that way.

But I'll ask the melee people what they think the turnout will be. I hope it's big.

Jace08

Smash Lord
oh yeah, we gotta have a 64 tourney. I can run it if needed, 64 is too good

and I picture the melee turnout as either really amazing or very good, considering the last few event 52s in this area

oh yeah and I can house people

DeLux

I added the melee ruleset from Apex for the tournament rules.

Also for Brawl, people should read the rule set especially in regard to pools. Instead of doing a random seeding bracket, I thought it would be more fair to do random pools based on Bo1s to help seed brackets.

@ MRM, Mr. Doom, and Tech - Should I list you as attending?

Also, I'm fine with running an N64 tournament as long as we can get enough setups.

Everyone please tell me if you're coming, if you need housing, and what equipment you're bringing!

TP

Smash Master
Just a heads up, your bracket is gonna look terrible. The good players tend to do terrible in pools that are just for seeding, and the bracket ends up essentially random because of that.

Also, lower the LGL. 50 ain't stopping anything. 35 is the standard for a reason.

DeLux

Why would a good player tend to do terrible?

I thought if you're good at this game, it increases your chance to win. IF it's because they're just screwing around, that's there fault, not mine.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
He means that if you're using pools just to seed, and not for elimination purposes. It doesn't make too much sense though, because the higher the seed the easier the bracket, so it wouldn't hurt to try. Although if they don't try, then you can end up with a pretty random bracket. I really don't see the harm though, as long as everyone understands that higher seeds get easier brackets when it's done right.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I'll be at this obviously!

btw what's the venue and its address?

DeLux

946 Vermont St. Lawrence, KS, 66044

It's the First United Methodist Church at 10th and Vermont St.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Yeah I'll be there. Will try and bring melee people so we can take all of your money...(see's hondafoo)...oh, uh......yep! Nebraska Melee will still win. Just don't let Arc find out about this.

DeLux

I still need a title for advertising purposes.

If we don't think of anything better, I'm going to call it "Smash4Food"

Kuares

Pizza
Smashed Potatoes and Gravy : P

There's also only 5 stages in the starter list and stage strike says 2-3-1, which would be a 7 stage starter.

DeLux

Thanks, I fixed that to the correct 1-2-1 striking. I am debating on how to do the full stage list striking procedure that isn't 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 for pools.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Lux, it depends on the expected turnout. We generally don't travel to MW:W unless it's legit. I can talk to my Michiganders and see whos interested. Haven't been out of state since January and I need some action ;)

I'm unsure right now.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hmmm 50 +? I dunno actually..lol but with Lain the expected turnout has to be large or I won't be able to convince him lol. First lemme find out whos interested. Not making any commitments yet as I generally want to be sure bfore I say I'm making an event. I shall let you know. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom