• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MvC4

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Not probable, but I love me some Mahval. I might sign it.

But is this profitable to Disney or Capcom? They split they profits 50/50 and fighting game success depends more on tournaments than it does sales. So I doubt the juggernaut of Disney would take a risk like that.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
All I know is that if MVC4 happens, Mega Man better not be reamed out of a slot again. His disappearance from MVC3 was insane; that's almost like if Mario didn't appear in a Smash game.

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
Not probable, but I love me some Mahval. I might sign it.

But is this profitable to Disney or Capcom? They split they profits 50/50 and fighting game success depends more on tournaments than it does sales. So I doubt the juggernaut of Disney would take a risk like that.
Well it would be both because due to marvel movies so people would notice and want to buy it cuz iron man and hulk and stuff. If they just pack it with mcu characters and some classic characters (eg wolverine magneto and storm) and they are good. It'll sell

All I know is that if MVC4 happens, Mega Man better not be reamed out of a slot again. His disappearance from MVC3 was insane; that's almost like if Mario didn't appear in a Smash game.
I know that litterally like pissed me off. I considered not getting it but then I was like "well, c vipers pretty awesome..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I like how the petition is made out to Walt Disney instead of the Disney company. I guess they figure he'll come out of cryogenic stasis just to read it?

All joking aside, I'd definitely be down for Marvel vs. Capcom 4. Did Disney own Marvel when MvC3 came out? Disney and Capcom had such a good relationship in the past I'm begging them to get back together now that Disney's not making their own games anymore.

Also, I want Mr. Incredible, Kylo Ren, and Sora as guest characters :)

Twewy

Smash Lord
I'd definitely be up for a new MvC iteration.

Which characters from both universes would you guys want to see?
Marvel-wise I don't really mind as long as we get Taskmaster back. Maybe Daredevil or Howard the Duck? Capcom-wise I need my Gene and Dragon's Dogma reps. Gene especially. Did I say I want Gene? I want Gene.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Who owns the video-game rights to Marvel's properties? Is Spider-Man with Activision?

Edit: added "owns the".

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Who video-game rights to Marvel's properties? Is Spider-Man with Activision?
Video game rights towards Marvel characters do not matter, since Spider-Man and Deadpool's rights were under Activision at the time of MvC3. However, what does matter is the "ban" of sorts Marvel has placed on X-Men and Fantastic Four characters in video games to bleed Fox out of potential advertising. To explain, if MvC4 happened you should not expect:

ANY of the X-Men
Magneto
Sentinel
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Super-Skrull

to return, or expect newcomers from those franchises. However, you may be able to expect Scarlet Witch or Quicksilver due to the loophole used by Traveler's Tales and Marvel themselves to feature them in MCU-related stuff.

Last edited:

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
Video game rights towards Marvel characters do not matter, since Spider-Man and Deadpool's rights were under Activision at the time of MvC3. However, what does matter is the "ban" of sorts Marvel has placed on X-Men and Fantastic Four characters in video games to bleed Fox out of potential advertising. To explain, if MvC4 happened you should not expect:

ANY of the X-Men
Magneto
Sentinel
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Super-Skrull

to return, or expect newcomers from those franchises. However, you may be able to expect Scarlet Witch or Quicksilver due to the loophole used by Traveler's Tales and Marvel themselves to feature them in MCU-related stuff.
If they can fit in sentinel and wolverine, I'm good. Those guys are like icons and wolverine is dying soon and sentinel is not even in movies as far as I know

Twewy

Smash Lord
If they can fit in sentinel and wolverine, I'm good. Those guys are like icons and wolverine is dying soon and sentinel is not even in movies as far as I know
Then you won't be good. Capcom won't be able to get their licenses with this "ban" in effect.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

ANY of the X-Men
Magneto
Sentinel
Deadpool
Doctor Doom
Super-Skrull

Personally, I do not care much about the X-Men or Fantastic Four characters for MvC4, but it would feel pretty strange if they were not in there considering that the likes of Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, Dr. Doom etc had all played a role within past MvC games.

So is it safe to say that Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk and Spider-Man are pretty much guaranteed to be in MvC4?

Anyways, I predict that a 2018 announcement of the game would be ideal.

EDIT: Here is my current (not quite perfect) and ideal list of Marvel characters I would like to see in MvC4. I'll try this list without the use X-Men and Fantastic Four characters for now.

MARVEL Characters
  1. Iron Man
  2. War Machine
  3. Captain America
  4. Winter Soldier/Falcon**
  5. Thor
  6. Loki**
  7. Hulk
  8. She-Hulk
  9. Spider-Man
  10. Spider-Man Ally/Villain
  11. Dr. Strange
  12. Shuma Gorath/Dormammu
  13. Ghost Rider
  14. Blackheart
  15. Captain Marvel**
  16. Rocket Raccoon
  17. Star Lord**
  18. Hawkeye
  19. Black Widow**
  20. Black Panther**
  21. Ant-Man**
  22. Inhumans character**
  23. Iron Fist
  24. Defenders character (Luke Cage/Jessica Jones/Daredevil)**
  25. Thanos
  26. Cloak & Dagger**
  27. Howling Commandos character**
  28. Taskmaster
Tell me what you guys think and I'll come up with a list for the Capcom side later.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm not one for signing petitions But I'll sign this one. I loved the crap out of both MvC3 despite Capcom messing up releasing the games. Granted, Japan was hit by a huge earthquake that killed thousands when Capcom was planning on releasing DLC for it thus forced to make UMvC3 to get that content out. Not sure if that was really the issue though but I'll buy it.

As for which characters, I love how each game brings in entirely new characters and axes out old ones. Yeah, losing Mega Man, Gambit, Colossus, Jin, Iceman, Venom, Amigo, and others sucked but we got awesome characters to make up for it like Deadpool, Chris, Dante, Amaterasu, Thor, She-Hulk, and other creative additions. I want to see this carry over to the next game. I'll skip talking about cut characters bough and jump straight into characters that would be cool to be added:

Capcom
  1. Necalli (SF)
  2. Leon Kennedy (RE)
  3. Lord Raptor (DS)
  4. The lion guy from Red Earth
  5. The dinosaur trex boss from the same game.
  6. Ryu (breathe of fire)
  7. Wayne Holden (LP)
  8. A character from Dragon's Dogma
  9. Felyne
  10. Juri (SF)
  11. Sigma
  12. Saki (that puzzle game)
Marvel
  1. Black Widow
  2. Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel
  3. Luke Cage
  4. Star-lord
  5. Scarlet Witch
  6. Squirrel Girl just for lolz
  7. Man-thing
  8. Daredevil
  9. Emma Frost
  10. Vision
  11. Green Goblin
  12. Punisher

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Give me Rashid for Capcom and Venom for Marvel and I'll buy it in a flash.

And bring back Bison, why the hell was he cut?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I lost my copy after leaving it at the in-laws. In fact I left that and most of my gaming library and my Wii U setup in order to save of moving fees for when we moved. Back in April, 2 weeks after we moved, where we lived before (including my in-laws house) was hit by over 1,300 earthquakes including one that was over a 7.2. My Wii U was apparently smashed when a several heavy appliances fell on it so they threw all of it away. I was planning on sending it back to our new place during the summer. I've been wanton go play it but the PSN store no longer has it and the copies I found online are well over $36. Due to saving money and using what we don't save for our own things/helping repair my in-laws house, I probably won't be replacing even a quarter of what I had. I am beyond thankfully that my family was save and the house stood those earthquakes.

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Just make sure that Ryota Niitsuma and anyone else that was responsible for not including any version of Mega Man in MvC3 and UMvC3 isn't in charge of the game or at least deciding the roster, movesets, and balancing the game. I'm still pretty salty even to this day with reasons as to why they didn't include Mega Man such as "We couldn't think of a unique enough moveset for him even though he was in the previous 2 MvC games." and "While we did have a lot of requests for Mega Man to be included in UMvC3, he just simply didn't make the cut among the most requested characters even though X (an incarnation of the blue bomber) was #1 of the poll."

With statements like that, you're pretty much telling us that you don't like Mega Man and you don't think he is worthy enough of a roster spot. Not being included in Vanilla MvC3 already is a red flag, but not even getting added in an expanded updated version of the game through a poll despite claiming the top spot is just asking for a wanted poster and daring the Mega Man fans to come after you. I'm well aware that those games have other Mega Man characters like Zero and Tron Bonne as playable characters, but having a franchise included without its' most iconic character doesn't feel right. It's like cutting Mario from Super Smash Bros, you just don't do that.

And if you can't add him because he only has projectiles, then look up Super Smash Flash 2 and another game that you might have heard about called Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U for melee moves. Last time I checked, flame sword, slash claw, top spin, super arm, mega upper, and slide are melee moves, not projectiles. He has more than enough source material to work with. Besides, his old MvC moveset was fine the way it was anyway. Sure, it could definitely use some changes. But I still feel like I'm playing Mega Man even though Smash 4 did a much better job of giving you the feeling that you are in fact playing Mega Man from the NES and SNES days.

I sometimes wonder if game devs just simply don't care about their future status after pouring in a large amount of salt in an open wound. Just saying. Don't **** with your fans.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
There has been a rumor that Marvel Vs Capcom 4 could be announced at PSX/Capcom Cup later this week.

Take it with a grain of salt for now.

EDIT: Even though a number of sources which include Lupinko (the leaker who leaked out the entire MvC3 roster), Polygon (although I don't consider them as credible) now claims this:

"Fans of the series should expect Marvel vs. Capcom 4's roster of Marvel characters to draw strongly from the cinematic universe that Marvel Studios has popularized — and has full control over — during the past decade. That means fighting game fans will more likely see characters plucked from The Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy films, and not from properties like the X-Men. Expect to see superheroes like Ant-Man and Groot make appearances, with characters of mutant origin — think Wolverine and Magneto — sitting out this entry."

http://www.polygon.com/2016/11/28/13749536/marvel-vs-capcom-4-news

As I've already said in an earlier post, although I am not too bothered whether the X-Men or F4 characters come back, it still would be strange if they do not make it since they do play an integral part of the MvC history if this is true.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Infinity Gems won't be like SFxT. They're more like Grooves from CvS2 where it's a core part of the game. It'll be the replacement for XF as well.

The most concerning part is no assists for me, but I'm still excited and looking forward to when we see more though.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I hope the exclusion of X-Men isn't real. Magneto and Storm were two of my favorite characters in 3.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Captain America and Morrigan confirmed:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well, X and Captain Marvel makes me extremely excited and the graphics are pretty good despite some people griping that it doesn't look like SFV graphics. I have heard that characters from the X-Men and Fantastic Four series will not appear due to licensing issues and (most likely) Marvel wanting the game to focus on their cinematic universe rather than the comic book universe. This is most apparent with Cap's recent design being more akin to his Cap Am:Civil War look. Also I have a new game to keep track of after Sun and Moon was released.

I do hope we get some characters new to the MvC brand such as Daredevil, Luke Cage, Winter-Soldier, Misty Knight, (technically) Ant-Man, Starlord, Ultron, Loki, the Punisher, Vision, Falcon, Black Widow, and all those cinematic/Netflix universe characters. And it would be great to get a few more non-cinematic ones such as Namor, Squirrelgirl, Spider-gwen, Green Goblin, Agent Venom, Moon Knight, Kang, Sauron, and more. Capcom is a much smaller library to draw from but Necali or Laura would be greatly appreciated. As well as characters from Monster Hunter, Red Earth, Dragon's Dogma, Dino Crisis, and Asura's Wrath.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Not really too surprised that Captain America and Morrigan were announced.

Anyways, for my CAPCOM character request:

1. Ryu - Street Fighter - Confirmed
2. X - Megaman X - Confirmed
3. Morrigan Aensland - Darkstalkers - Confirmed
4. Chun-Li - Street Fighter II
5. Rashid - Street Fighter V
6. Akuma/M.Bison - Street Fighter series
7. Frank West - Dead Rising
8. Strider Hiryu - Strider
9. Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney
10. Dante - Devil May Cry
11. Vergil - Devil May Cry
12. Monster Hunter Rep
13. Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine - Resident Evil
14. Albert Wesker - Resident Evil
15. Captain Commando

Thats all I have at the moment.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well, X and Captain Marvel makes me extremely excited and the graphics are pretty good despite some people griping that it doesn't look like SFV graphics.
I'd say some of the gripes is that the art direction is more of an Injustice look in some ways.
http://i.imgur.com/D5aVMJi.png
More varied colors, but the saturation isn't really there. It's probably not going to change since the cg trailer is pretty much the same. The models themselves, I'm pretty sure they'll get better as it goes on.
Not really too surprised that Captain America and Morrigan were announced.

Anyways, for my CAPCOM character request:
I think mine would be somewhat similar. I'd prefer only 3 reps of SF right now at most though if the roster is less than MvC3. Replace one with another Darkstalkers rep (hopefully Jedah). I'd like them to fit in Nero this time somehow as well. And since X is in, I'd like to see Sigma included. 15v15 doesn't sound too bad for initial roster size if they're going to do another update one day. If they do, I won't mind having characters like Zero and Vergil sit this one out for now.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'd say some of the gripes is that the art direction is more of an Injustice look in some ways.
More varied colors, but the saturation isn't really there. It's probably not going to change since the cg trailer is pretty much the same. The models themselves, I'm pretty sure they'll get better as it goes on.

I think mine would be somewhat similar. I'd prefer only 3 reps of SF right now at most though if the roster is less than MvC3. Replace one with another Darkstalkers rep (hopefully Jedah). I'd like them to fit in Nero this time somehow as well. And since X is in, I'd like to see Sigma included. 15v15 doesn't sound too bad for initial roster size if they're going to do another update one day. If they do, I won't mind having characters like Zero and Vergil sit this one out for now.
For the roster number, I would think somewhere on the 30-36 would be a good count to start off with.

Well, Chun-Li is most likely to return for certain, but I would hope for at least 3-4 reps from Street Fighter series. I know I only put in just the one Darkstalker character who is officially confirmed for Infinite so far, but if there were another Darkstalker character, I would like it to be either Demetri, Lord Raptor or Jon Talbain.

I'm still pretty ecstatic that Megaman X and Captain Marvel made it in Infinite (as these 2 characters were on my request list since UMvC3), but I am still hoping that my faves Phoenix Wright, Strider Hiryu and Frank West will make it in.

Speaking of X-Men and Fantastic Four, what do you think of this post if true:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226049501&postcount=4524

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Speaking of X-Men and Fantastic Four, what do you think of this post if true:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226049501&postcount=4524
I've been following some of the GAF threads (since I do have an account there). He was the one that first told us about MvC:I happening, so I do think it's possible. It would make sense too since Marvel doesn't have to advertise the licenses under Fox, and they can make some good DLC money out of it when it comes to it.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I'm pretty excited for this game despite never really playing the Marvel games for more than a couple of minutes at someone else's house, since I've gotten really into fighting games in the past few years. On another note, do you guys think I should get UMvC3 on the PS4? I know the game is very unbalance, but I think I could end up still having tons of fun with the game and I think I heard some rumors of a possible patch to the game even though the game came out back in 2011.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just give me Scarlet Witch, Ant-Man, and Kamala Khan, in addition to bringing back Doctor Strange and Phoenix Wright, and I'm good. Everyone else high on my list is already confirmed or would just be bonuses. :p

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Yeah, I noticed that it lacks the over saturation of the previous titles but, hey, it's a step in an entirely new direction so why not try something different graphically.

I would like to see some love given to the old Capcom franchises such as Red Earth, Unknown Soldier, Power Stone and such. We need Hauzer for sure. Jin would also be a welcomed return.

And while focusing on the Cinematic Universe is fine, I do hope we get non-cinematic characters such as Magik and Sentry. Baddies such as Mephisto and Red Skull would be fun as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom