• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multiversus Officially Revealed

The rumors of a platform fighter featuring Warner Bros.’ biggest intellectual properties were understandably met with healthy skepticism by most at first, but cynicism quickly turned to excitement as evidence of its existence had been leaked online throughout the past several weeks. Now the Warner Bros. Games UK & Ireland YouTube channel has given us official confirmation in the best way it could: with a full reveal trailer and gameplay breakdown.

The 3-minute presentation sees director Tony Huynh introduce the game in full detail. Most notably, he confirms that Multiversus will follow a free-to-play business model, emphasize teamwork in its 2v2 mode, and aim to be as faithful as possible to the many characters and worlds that make up its roster and stages.

On that note, fans will no doubt be happy to know that longtime Batman voice actor Kevin Conroy will once again reprise his role as the titular caped crusader. Scooby Doo’s Shaggy is also confirmed to be voiced by Matthew Lillard, who has portrayed the iconic character in both animated features as well as the live-action films from the early 2000s. Shaggy will come equipped with moves inspired by the Ultra Instinct Shaggy meme.

Huynh particularly emphasized the game’s social features, with an MMO-style guild system and the game’s online experience. The game also promises cross-platform and cross-progression support with dedicated server-based rollback netcode.

Perhaps most exciting of all was the announcement of signups for upcoming playtests at the game’s website Multiversus.com. The presentation ended by announcing that Multiversus will be released in 2022 on Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PC, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X and S.

Credits
Graphics: @Zerp
Editing: @Sari
Social Media: @Zerp

Author’s Note: What are your thoughts on Multiversus? Who is your main going to be? What other characters do you want to see come to the game? Let us know in the comments section below as we continue following Multiversus up to and beyond its release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will "Octrockandroll" Bertazzo Lambert

Comments

I like that there establishing that there franchises are all part of one big multiverse.

Also if this is a Warner Bros fighting game I hope we get to have Scorpian, Gandalf, and Gumball as characters down the line.
I got good news for you, buddy. Gandalf is already in, by the looks of it.

Now if they add Shelob, then we'll be in business.

Attachments

While it's only matter of time before "Some" get unveiled, But kind of bummed out that Warner Bros didn't reveal at least one "Late 90's-Early/Mid 2000's" Cartoon Network IP/Cartoon Cartoons.

• Powerpuff Girls
  • Dexter's Laboratory
  • Johnny Bravo
  • Cow & Chicken
  • Courage the Cowardly Dog
  • Ed, Edd n Eddy
  • Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
  • Foster's home of Imaginary Friends
  • Camp Lazlo
Cartoon Network's intro's for the Cartoon Cartoons Friday block would always pump me up when I was kid and I absolutely love the comradery and interaction that all the cartoons had with each other.

From the list I expect Powerpuff Girls to be one of the frontrunners as it's the biggest IP from the bunch and wouldn't mind as it was one of my favorites growing up, Also doesn't hurt either that their built for fighting ,But I would be happy with almost any of these.

I also hope we get more Looney Tunes characters like Daffy Duck, Maybe a couple of more "Hanna-Barbera" cartoons and Animaniacs would be really cool too.

Last edited:
Selling might not be a factor, but retaining a playerbase, especially a competitive one and not just whales, could be.
Oh I agree. I have no good vibes from the fact it even is 'Free to Play'. Nothing good comes from it anymore. A tainted string of words that REALLY means 'Microtransaction and unbalanced Hell'.

I like the slower feel. Games could afford to be less frantic, and this reminds me of Brawl in a good way.
I really hope it was just slowed down for the presentation and it isn't THAT slow. It looked super sluggish. Speed could be dialed up just a notch, imo.

Everyone wants to dip their toes in the smash pool.
More the merrier. The genre has to evolve some more. Plenty of room to grow. The traditional fighting game scene wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting as it has if there wasn't a boom in the 90's-early 2000's. Some games failed hard but had incredible ideas that were eventually adopted by other games to further evolve the genre.

Oh I agree. I have no good vibes from the fact it even is 'Free to Play'. Nothing good comes from it anymore. A tainted string of words that REALLY means 'Microtransaction and unbalanced Hell'.
That's why I'm balking at this game. That, and the fact that WB and DC never had my favorite stable of characters.
Calling this right now: The new Space Jam will still be better than this game.

Does anyone else feel that a standalone platform fighter for any of the individual companies (like Cartoon Network, DC, Hanna-Barbera, even Tolkien) would've been better? As it is currently, it just feels like none of them can reach their full potential.

Does anyone else feel that a standalone platform fighter for any of the individual companies (like Cartoon Network, DC, Hanna-Barbera, even Tolkien) would've been better? As it is currently, it just feels like none of them can reach their full potential.
Possibly, its definitely a weird roster

Everything you mentioned except Tolkien, yes. Cartoons just fit the slapstick nature inherent to platform fighter mechanics way more than high-fantasy. Like I love LotR but I can't bring myself to care that I can wavedash with Gandalf.

Everything you mentioned except Tolkien, yes. Cartoons just fit the slapstick nature inherent to platform fighter mechanics way more than high-fantasy. Like I love LotR but I can't bring myself to care that I can wavedash with Gandalf.
Well it doesn't have to use percents and knockback. It can have stamina mode as the default.

Last edited:
Well it doesn't have to use percents and knockback. It can have stamina mode as the default.
Since the trailer only shows characters dying from being knocked off-stage it seems much more likely that Multiversus is not being designed around stamina mode as default.

This looks way better than nick brawl. Voice acting and liscensed music make a world of difference. This also has that smash aspect of crazy crossover with crazy stuff like Gandalf vs Bugs Bunny and Batman vs Shaggy. Nickolodeon's IPs are all pretty similar in genre with the exception of Avatar. I love that it's also trying to do sonething new with the mechanics instead of trying to be melee. I'm really excited for this one.

Top Bottom