• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multiversus goes Primal: Spear and Fang Support Thread

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Welcome to the Spear and Fang Support Thread

Who are Spear and Fang?
Spear and Fang are the main characters of the Emmy award-winning adult animated show Primal, created by Cartoon Network veteran Genndy Tartakovsky for Adult Swim. Primal follows the unlikely friendship between a caveman (Spear) and a tyrranosaurus (Fang) as they explore a bizarre prehistoric world teeming with mystery and dangerous creatures. Bonded over personal tragedies, both Spear and Fang work together to overcome a wide variety of threats and survive in their hostile world. Primal is unique in that while its battle scenes are gory and visceral, there is almost no dialogue throughout the entire show, instead showing Spear and Fang expressing themselves through nonverbal cues and body language. This gives them both a ton of character and allows their personalities to shine through on the occasions when they aren't fighting for their lives.

Why Spear and Fang?
From facing spiders and bats the size of dinosaurs to struggling to survive against a gigantic zombie sauropod, Spear and Fang are no strangers to danger. Throughout the show, Spear and Fang prove themselves to be both brutal and efficient in their combat styles. Spear, the brains of the duo, uses a variety of caveman tools such as his namesake to attack prey while Fang uses her brute strength and fierce jaws to bash, chomp, and tear apart any opponent that gets too close.

How Would Spear and Fang Work in Multiversus?
For anyone who's seen Primal, Spear and Fang are both absolutely brutal in combat, more often than not leaving their opponents in a broken, gory pile. SInce Multiversus is definitely more kid friendly and we can't have Spear and Fang straight-up ripping opponents apart, a good start would be to turn down the bloody violence yet keep Spear and Fang's savage movements when they're fighting their opponents. Their combat style should be wild, reckless, and reward risky plays.

Another mechanic that would be pretty unique yet may be difficult to implement would allow Spear to be able to both ride and separate from Fang to perform certain attacks, and Fang could be sort of like a puppet fighter with less maneuverability when separated from Spear. For example, Spear could launch himself off of Fang to perform an extremely damaging spear thrust, though it would leave him vulnerable if he misses his mark, plus he'd need to make his way back to Fang in order to try again. This would play into the whole risk vs. reward gameplay idea for them, plus it would emphasize that Spear and Fang are at their strongest when they work with each other. After all, Spear and Fang are both formidable fighters by themselves, but when they work together this duo is nigh unstoppable.

Supporter's List:
PK-remling Fire PK-remling Fire
Michael the Spikester Michael the Spikester

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Add me to the support!

The question remains though is given Finn, Jake, Rick and Morty are all separate fighters. Would only one of them get in?

Honestly I'd prefer both being together. I think one of the following two would work.

Having Spear riding Fang the whole time.

or

You play as Spear but Fang is implemented into some of Spear's moves, think kind of similar to Maya Fey with Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Add me to the support!

The question remains though is given Finn, Jake, Rick and Morty are all separate fighters. Would only one of them get in?

Honestly I'd prefer both being together. I think one of the following two would work.

Having Spear riding Fang the whole time.

or

You play as Spear but Fang is implemented into some of Spear's moves, think kind of similar to Maya Fey with Phoenix Wright in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.
Yeah, I think with the themes of Primal, it would be best for both Spear and Fang to be in the battle together as a two-in-one character. An idea for them would be for the player to control Spear, but allow them to ride Fang under certain conditions, like with Iron Giant and his rage mode.

That or make them like a stance/puppet fighter where you mainly control Spear and can give limited inputs to Fang, then have him ride her if they have some kind of condition met.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I'm sad there aren't more supporters for these two...:(
It is a bit sad to see that Spear and Fang are a bit more niche than some of the other long-standing fan favorite picks. Though I think support for them has picked up a bit more on other platforms, as I'm seeing them get mentioned more and more in other forums/multiversus groups as wanted characters.

A user on the Multiversus subreddit also made this awesome render of what Spear and Fang would look like. Honestly, this looks like the perfect style for them.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Quickly bringing this thread back with some massive spoilers for Primal S2 Ep 10 below:

If Spear and Fang make it into Multiversus, another skin idea could be Spear's daughter and Fang's offspring
1663240035671148.jpg

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Finished up my moveset for these two.
Class
Tank

Passive Abilities
Spear rides on Fang. Attacks that hit Spear will do 115% of the DAMAGE and KNOCKBACK, whereas attacks that hit Fang only do 88% of the DAMAGE and KNOCKBACK.

Ground Normals
Neutral: Prehistoric Teamwork - Spear stabs with his spear up to three times. Fang does a kick each time Spear stabs, allowing this to hit both high and low. The kicks are stronger.
Side: Prehistoric Jab - Fang bends down as Spear stabs with his spear. Can be CHARGED.
Up: Prehistoric Thrust - Spear thrusts his spear straight up, while Fang stands on her tiptoes to give him a boost. Can be CHARGED.
Down: Prehistoric Hop - Spear hops a distance away from Fang, stabbing down with his spear. He'll then move back onto Fang. If Spear is hit in the process of hopping, he'll move back on top of Fang instead of taking KNOCKBACK.

Air Normals
Neutral: Prehistoric Twirl - Fang spins and whips out her tail, hitting on both sides. Spear holds his spear out, hitting with it as well, allowing this to hit both high and low. The tail is stronger.
Side: Prehistoric Jab - Same as ground.
Up: Prehistoric Straighten - Fang turns upside down and whips up her tail. Simultaneously, Spear stabs down with his spear. The tail is stronger, but the spear meteor smashes.
Down: Prehistoric Scratches - Fang quickly slashes twice with her claws.

Specials
Neutral: Prehistoric Jaw - Fang does a huge bite, DAMAGING an enemy and GRABBING them in her jaws. When she has an enemy, rapidly mashing this move's input has Spear repeatedly stab them with his spear, whereas inputting a direction throws the enemy in that direction.
Side: Prehistoric Joust - Fang charges with her head out until the input is released, or until she reaches the time limit. Spear holds up his spear as Fang charges, hitting with it as well. The head is stronger. If this is used in the air, Fang will drop downwards as she runs.
Up: Prehistoric Hop - Fang jumps up high, while Spear holds up his spear to stab enemies. Fang then comes crashing down, while crushing enemies under her feet. The attack is strongest when Fang lands, and it meteor smashes when Fang first starts falling. The spear is the weakest part of the move.
Down: Prehistoric Fire - Spear's spear lights on fire temporarily, then Spear goes into COOLDOWN. Attacks that hit with the spear have increased DAMAGE and KNOCKBACK, and IGNITE. During attacks where both Spear and Fang attack, Spear's attacks will be stronger.

Animations
Taunt 1 - https://tenor.com/view/primal-spear-eat-smile-silly-gif-26564256
Taunt 2 - https://tenor.com/view/primal-ahh-me-angry-mad-shout-gif-17346691
Win - https://tenor.com/view/genndy-tarta...nimated-dinosaurs-spear-and-fang-gif-17326345
Loss - https://tenor.com/view/primal-rage-anger-irritated-mad-gif-19174385

Top Bottom