• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, I love this fan made art
Speaking of this, I recently watched Trick'r'Treat and Sam quickly became one of my most wanted characters for Multiversus. If they're adding Halloween-themed characters in the future, he would be perfect for the role.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I still don't really understand why people are worried at all about the state of the game. The game has a huge dedicated community online, especially on Twitter but also with youtuber. It helps a lot that Tony is very active himself on twitter, sharing fanart and supporting content creators.

Sure, this isn't Fortnite or Valorant level of popularity, but does it matter? The game had broken many records for fighting games, there's a big cult following online and the dev team has been very active and showed many times that they truly cared about the community that they builted.

Fighting games characters take a lot of times to make, Smash had a way bigger team and we had to wait in average 4 months between each post launch characters. The team also had some issues that they probably didn't expected such as the hitboxes, and they're still working on other stuff alongside characters.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
So what are everyone's thoughts on PFG's method of extending the season 2 battlepass? Sadly, it seems like a lot of their recent decisions have just been a net negative for the game overall. Season 1's battlepass progression was already good, so the decision to change it to increase grind/incentivise people to buy additional tiers makes no sense aside from a moneymaking perspective and killed a lot of player goodwill by itself.

However, what really makes me worried about this recent decision is that it may lead to a sizable decline in players from now until April. Most of the more devoted MV players have either already completed or are close to completing the battlepass, and without any new content in between now and Season 3, there doesn't seem to be any incentive for these completionist players to continue playing for the next two months. Overall it seems like a really short-sighted decision, more of a temporary band-aid that doesn't really address the battlepass issue.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
So what are everyone's thoughts on PFG's method of extending the season 2 battlepass? Sadly, it seems like a lot of their recent decisions have just been a net negative for the game overall. Season 1's battlepass progression was already good, so the decision to change it to increase grind/incentivise people to buy additional tiers makes no sense aside from a moneymaking perspective and killed a lot of player goodwill by itself.

However, what really makes me worried about this recent decision is that it may lead to a sizable decline in players from now until April. Most of the more devoted MV players have either already completed or are close to completing the battlepass, and without any new content in between now and Season 3, there doesn't seem to be any incentive for these completionist players to continue playing for the next two months. Overall it seems like a really short-sighted decision, more of a temporary band-aid that doesn't really address the battlepass issue.
Extending the season till the end of march instead of february is a bit overkill in my opinion.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Extending the season till the end of march instead of february is a bit overkill in my opinion.
Yeah, the lack of communication on PFG's part as to why they made that decision is troubling to say the least. Throughout the game's lifetime, there haven't really been signs of any consistent content roadmap (a problem in and of itself imo), but a month and a half delay for season 3 should have some form of explaination with it, even if it's to say that season 3 isn't ready. While community managers do interact with the community somewhat, PFG is noticably quiet on the actual state of the game, with only a few tweet replies saying that they are "looking into" certain issues brought up by fans. Makes me feel like there are more issues behind the scenes than they're letting on.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't think they delayed it to give more time to players, I think they delayed it because characters and stages that were supposed to launch with season 3 are still not ready and they don't want to start a new season with nothing.

Yes the wait is starting to be long but hopefully they'll start teasing the future of the game soon.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I don't think they delayed it to give more time to players, I think they delayed it because characters and stages that were supposed to launch with season 3 are still not ready and they don't want to start a new season with nothing.

Yes the wait is starting to be long but hopefully they'll start teasing the future of the game soon.
and hopefully fans & players can stay loyal & not brag like those twitter users.

Faso115

Smash Lord
at first i didn't mind the delay.

But they better give us something. The release cadence of season 1 was unsustainable

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
at first i didn't mind the delay.

But they better give us something. The release cadence of season 1 was unsustainable
If you think that season 1 was unsustainable, I'm sorry but you're in denial. Releasing 2 fighters each month is already incredible, and it was obvious that not every season was going to have this many fighters.

Come on now, I totally get the hate for the slow season 2 but hating on season 1 is straight up stupid, what were you even expecting, a new characters every day?

LimeTH

Smash Lord
If you think that season 1 was unsustainable, I'm sorry but you're in denial. Releasing 2 fighters each month is already incredible, and it was obvious that not every season was going to have this many fighters.

Come on now, I totally get the hate for the slow season 2 but hating on season 1 is straight up stupid, what were you even expecting, a new characters every day?
Season 1 was unsustainable because they released characters too fast. They blew through their entire backlog in three months, where if they had stagggered it out more to, say, one a month, this drought wouldn't be happening, since we'd have gotten Marvin by this month.

Releasing them so fast and not really marketing said characters as they came out beyond some tweets meant no one really stood out. Rick and Morty were highly anticipated and then they just got lost in the shuffle.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord

Denial of what? All i said is that they have nothing to show now because they were overzealous in releasing characters in quick sucession. All i want is an extra character or something meaningful other than skins. cause the playerbase is dwindling by the minute.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm confident the devs will make it a explosive comeback. I got Finn and Marvin, so the wait is basically non existent to me.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
After thinking it over a bit, yeah I don't think this game is dead. NASB never had as high a peak, and fell even harder, and yet it got a year of dlc and is getting a sequel. I don't think this game is getting shelved after one (admittedly bad) season, at the very least they'll give it one more as an ultimatum. Two of the characters that are coming soon , Joker and Samurai Jack, are also big draws that would hopefully bring eyes back to the game.

it's easy to worry, and I won't lie and say this game is in a stellar situation, but it'll at least get a little better.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
NASB is a horrendous point of comparison. NASB can be as dead as it wants, it's a full priced product that doesn't depend on active engagement. MVS does, I'm not in the "the game is dead and will fail" camp but live service is very different and demanding than a single release game.

//What just happened wtf lmao

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
we have ourselves an NASB hater
They aren't hating on NASB, they're saying NASB and MVS aren't comparable because NASB is a full priced single release game for retail, so it can never really "die" since by definition of being single release it's "finished", while MVS is a free Live Service game that requires updates to drive engagement and make money, thus once those two things dry up, it's "dead" and may even get shut down and unavailable forever.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They aren't hating on NASB, they're saying NASB and MVS aren't comparable because NASB is a full priced single release game for retail, so it can never really "die" since by definition of being single release it's "finished", while MVS is a free Live Service game that requires updates to drive engagement and make money, thus once those two things dry up, it's "dead" and may even get shut down and unavailable forever.
This is the big thing. NASB dropping player count doesn't matter in any meaningful way because it's a single purchase game with optional DLC, and not a live service game. Even down the line when NASB's servers go down, local play is still available. If Multiversus's go down...there's no more Multiversus. It's gone entirely.

As such, engagement is SUBSTANTIALLY more important here.

Granted, I'm not in doom mode yet for this, but hypothetically, it's concerning.

osby

Smash Obsessed
At the very least, we are still getting content:

While I think the Season 3 delay could've been handled a lot better, it's nice to see that Ranked Mode is coming back and there are quite a few small additions/fixes. I'm guessing that the devs are trying to get the game in a more stable shape before adding more fighters and stages.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
At the very least, we are still getting content:

While I think the Season 3 delay could've been handled a lot better, it's nice to see that Ranked Mode is coming back and there are quite a few small additions/fixes. I'm guessing that the devs are trying to get the game in a more stable shape before adding more fighters and stages.
well that's good to hear

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So more news from the datamines.

It's pretty much confirmed that the next two characters are Joker and Pickle Rick, they're just unsure about the order. Pickle Rick has a complete moveset in the data and new voice lines, while Joker has CSS data, so it could go either way.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

It's pretty much confirmed that the next two characters are Joker and Pickle Rick, they're just unsure about the order. Pickle Rick has a complete moveset in the data and new voice lines, while Joker has CSS data, so it could go either way.
i thought the latter was a costume?

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman

Out of all the new characters and its Pickle Rick....

I don't even know what to say.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
And basically a clone going by the leaked moveset
A semi-clone or a full clone? Because then at that point why make him separate? Is he going to be actually pickle sized?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
A semi-clone or a full clone? Because then at that point why make him separate? Is he going to be actually pickle sized?
There seem to be some changes, but it was most likely done for hitbox reasons.

D

Deleted member

Worth noting that the Nubia version of Wonder Woman was found to possibly have her own data a while back so they've probably been thinking of having an echo fighter type deal for a while

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Hopefully they release both at the same time. After 3 months with no characters releasing a clones or semi-clones just seems like a bad move. Releasing both at the same time could show more clearly that Pickle Rick is a bonus.

By the way Valentine event is live with a bunch of new skins and balance update.

Eventually when it is fully released
There's no such thing as "fully released". It's a live service game, it's meant to be always updated. They're probably waiting to have a bigger team and more time for a switch port.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, we're already at the point where we'll start to see clones so we're pretty much at the end of the game's lifespan.

Top Bottom