• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I never really cared for Harry Potter in general, so I don't think much about adding characters from it to the roster. But I do believe in separating art from artists. If HP characters got in, I wouldn't really complain.

D

Deleted member

I mean I believe in separating art form artists too but it's a little different when that artist is using the money they get to activity campaign for the removal of peoples rights.

I don't actually care if people still continue to enjoy HP stuff but stop making excuses for it.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I didn’t need to know that
People have sexuality, and sexuality tends to come with being a teenager, and HP was very popular with teenagers growing up, it's completely normal, you're the one making it weird. Sexuality awakening tends to just mean learning what you like, be it boys, girls, neither, everything in between, both, or what have you. Everyone has one.

For all the boys and girls who had a crush on Hermione, or all the boys and girls who had a crush on Harry, that was incredibly important in helping them be their true, authentic self. It's not anything creepy, it's just a natural part of growing up.

I mean I believe in separating art form artists too but it's a little different when that artist is using the money they get to activity campaign for the removal of peoples rights.

I don't actually care if people still continue to enjoy HP stuff but stop making excuses for it.
Please explain where I made any excuses for Rowling? Like I said before, whether we like it or not, she's made her fortune.

There's no reason to go around campaigning that HP was always bad or that it suddenly is bad because of the actions of the author in the present day. I think she is a despicable, disgusting human being, but the truth is she'd be doing that even if she created something else or didn't do it at all, so why crucify people who enjoyed it growing up or in the past, long before she started spewing her bs? I for one would've had no way of knowing her beliefs as I was learning to read and learning to embrace my nerdier side rather than be ashamed of it. It's done so much good for so many, and people just wanna act like that's irrelevant because author bad? Sorry, but to mez that is just making excuses to blame the media for the author.

Harry Potter doesn't need to make excuses or have people make them for it, because as a fictional piece of media, it didn't do anything wrong. It in and of itself can cause no harm to any individual.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Harry Potter IS bad and I thought that beofre nay of the current situation anyway lol
I mean if that's your opinion you are free to have it. I just think people massively overinflate their hatred of Rowling onto the media itself while not looking at all the good the media did have on the world.

It helped me learn to love, to read, and to embrace that there was nothing wrong with being nerdy, lax, and quirky, thanks to Hermione, Ron, and Luna respectively. I'm partially the person I am today because of that series, well, that and Avatar The Last Airbender. And I think I turned out to be a pretty okay person.

D

Deleted member

Ignore this. I think its best if I leave things be

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
People have sexuality, and sexuality tends to come with being a teenager, and HP was very popular with teenagers growing up, it's completely normal, you're the one making it weird. Sexuality awakening tends to just mean learning what you like, be it boys, girls, neither, everything in between, both, or what have you. Everyone has one.

For all the boys and girls who had a crush on Hermione, or all the boys and girls who had a crush on Harry, that was incredibly important in helping them be their true, authentic self. It's not anything creepy, it's just a natural part of growing up.
yeah doesn't mean the rest of us want to know about it. maybe it's a cultural thing but where i come from it isn't considered polite to tell a bunch of virtual strangers which fictional characters you're in love with. doesn’t matter how normal it is you just don’t bring in up unprompted in a conversation about how much you like certain books.

I mean if that's your opinion you are free to have it.
unless it's a negative one about star trek, am i right? :4pacman:

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
yeah doesn't mean the rest of us want to know about it. maybe it's a cultural thing but where i come from it isn't considered polite to tell a bunch of virtual strangers which fictional characters you're in love with. doesn’t matter how normal it is you just don’t bring in up unprompted in a conversation about how much you like certain books.

unless it's a negative one about star trek, am i right? :4pacman:
First point: Did I say anything about me personally being attracted to those characters? No, I did not. I was pointing out that lots of people have learned their own sexuality as a result of not just HP but all kinds of stuff, and that is overwhelmingly a positive thing, because sexuality isn't something you just hide away and don't talk about. It's healthy to talk about it, and that conservative bs telling you not to directly correlates with stress and often contributes to self harm in teens because they don't have anybody to talk to about how they feel because. It needs to be normalized to talk about this kind of stuff for the benefit of those people having a hard time, instead of just their parents adopting the don't ask don't tell policy.

As for your second point, once again the point has flown over your head (but nothing would right, your reflexes are too fast you'd catch it, right?). My point, when I brought up Star Trek and your negativity around it, is that you're a negative, sarcastic, pessimistic jerk who never has anything positive to say about anything. All I've ever seen on this board from you is a bunch of self-appreciating "I'm better than you pathetic plebians because I don't like [popular thing]." Get a personality beyond being the THAT GUY.

Ignore this. I think its best if I leave things be
Let me guess, you made a comment saying something to the effect of "yes, liking Harry Potter makes you a bad person because it brings eyes onto the brand."

D

Deleted member

First point: Did I say anything about me personally being attracted to those characters? No, I did not. I was pointing out that lots of people have learned their own sexuality as a result of not just HP but all kinds of stuff, and that is overwhelmingly a positive thing, because sexuality isn't something you just hide away and don't talk about. It's healthy to talk about it, and that conservative bs telling you not to directly correlates with stress and often contributes to self harm in teens because they don't have anybody to talk to about how they feel because. It needs to be normalized to talk about this kind of stuff for the benefit of those people having a hard time, instead of just their parents adopting the don't ask don't tell policy.

As for your second point, once again the point has flown over your head (but nothing would right, your reflexes are too fast you'd catch it, right?). My point, when I brought up Star Trek and your negativity around it, is that you're a negative, sarcastic, pessimistic jerk who never has anything positive to say about anything. All I've ever seen on this board from you is a bunch of self-appreciating "I'm better than you pathetic plebians because I don't like [popular thing]." Get a personality beyond being the THAT GUY.

Let me guess, you made a comment saying something to the effect of "yes, liking Harry Potter makes you a bad person because it brings eyes onto the brand."
No. That's not what I said at all. But I don't think it's worth dragging this out.

I literally said I don't care if people still like HP lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I agree with a lot of what's been said about the Potter situation, and I just wanna say I get it. I was big on Harry Potter too when I was a kid, and if you grew up with the series and don't agree with Rowling's bull****, then I'm sorry you've had to deal with this. I understand the pain of loving a piece of media that turned out to be made by a ****ty person. You're not an inherently bad person for liking Harry Potter, and I believe that we should try to separate the art from the artist whenever possible, not to excuse the artist's actions, but because sometimes you just kinda gotta deal with the fact that sometimes bad people make good art.

However.

Separating art from artist is not a one-size-fits-all perfect solution. And in my opinion, JK Rowling is basically the perfect example of someone you cannot at all do that with.

First of all, the elephant in the room is that yes, the books themselves do have traces of her ****ty views, like for example.....everything involving the House Elves. Or the goblins. Or the fact that like the one major black character is named ****ing Kingsley Shacklebolt. I think we can separate art from the artist provided their views don't bleed over into the actual art. Does that mean you agree with these things if you like Potter? Nope. I think people are allowed to acknowledge the flaws and perhaps problematic aspects of media they enjoy while still liking it overall. It happens! But what I'm trying to argue here is why it's perfectly understandable for people to not be comfortable with use of the property in stuff like this, and that you shouldn't force them to separate the art from the artist when it's this hard to do so. The books themselves have kinda been tainted by her views, and that's something we need to acknowledge.

But here's the even bigger elephant in the room.

Not only is Rowling still profiting from the property (which even then I don't think would be a dealbreaker if she didn't do what I'm about to talk about), she is actively using her money and fame to promote, organize and fund organizations campaigning for removing the human rights of a marginalized group. That is absolutely not okay no matter which way you slice it. She's not just passively ****ty, she didn't just say like one stupid thing in an interview 10 years ago, no, she's currently and publicly using her power to support groups that want trans people dead. I'm sorry but at that point? No, I'm not comfortable with supporting the franchise, especially considering I have several trans friends who are some of the best people I've ever met. And it's perfectly understandable why those people and many more wouldn't be comfortable with it either.

Let me reiterate, you are not a bad person for liking Harry Potter. We all like stuff made by ****ty people, hell, I like stuff made by ****ty people. But I kinda feel like this particular case is on another level. What I'm asking people to do here is to please understand why so many people refuse to support the franchise anymore, and why it's kinda hard to do so right now, really.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I agree with a lot of what's been said about the Potter situation, and I just wanna say I get it. I was big on Harry Potter too when I was a kid, and if you grew up with the series and don't agree with Rowling's bull****, then I'm sorry you've had to deal with this. I understand the pain of loving a piece of media that turned out to be made by a ****ty person. You're not an inherently bad person for liking Harry Potter, and I believe that we should try to separate the art from the artist whenever possible, not to excuse the artist's actions, but because sometimes you just kinda gotta deal with the fact that sometimes bad people make good art.

However.

Separating art from artist is not a one-size-fits-all perfect solution. And in my opinion, JK Rowling is basically the perfect example of someone you cannot at all do that with.

First of all, the elephant in the room is that yes, the books themselves do have traces of her ****ty views, like for example.....everything involving the House Elves. Or the goblins. Or the fact that like the one major black character is named ****ing Kingsley Shacklebolt. I think we can separate art from the artist provided their views don't bleed over into the actual art. Does that mean you agree with these things if you like Potter? Nope. I think people are allowed to acknowledge the flaws and perhaps problematic aspects of media they enjoy while still liking it overall. It happens! But what I'm trying to argue here is why it's perfectly understandable for people to not be comfortable with use of the property in stuff like this, and that you shouldn't force them to separate the art from the artist when it's this hard to do so. The books themselves have kinda been tainted by her views, and that's something we need to acknowledge.

But here's the even bigger elephant in the room.

Not only is Rowling still profiting from the property (which even then I don't think would be a dealbreaker if she didn't do what I'm about to talk about), she is actively using her money and fame to promote, organize and fund organizations campaigning for removing the human rights of a marginalized group. That is absolutely not okay no matter which way you slice it. She's not just passively ****ty, she didn't just say like one stupid thing in an interview 10 years ago, no, she's currently and publicly using her power to support groups that want trans people dead. I'm sorry but at that point? No, I'm not comfortable with supporting the franchise, especially considering I have several trans friends who are some of the best people I've ever met. And it's perfectly understandable why those people and many more wouldn't be comfortable with it either.

Let me reiterate, you are not a bad person for liking Harry Potter. We all like stuff made by ****ty people, hell, I like stuff made by ****ty people. But I kinda feel like this particular case is on another level. What I'm asking people to do here is to please understand why so many people refuse to support the franchise anymore, and why it's kinda hard to do so right now, really.
I will make one little anecdote in regards to the goblin thing. That's not really a Terfling fault, Goblins in media have literally been portrayed that way for as long as goblins have existed in fiction. So for once, that's the fault of people before her.

I, too, have many, many trans friends who are all wonderful, wonderful people who I love. Hell, as I mentioned before, both myself and my partner are gender non-conforming as well. And as I've said before, I also do not monetarily support the witch myself. I also understand that not everyone can seperate art from artist, and yes, the fact that her platform is being used to push that is awful. I'm not defending that.

The whole point of what I've been saying is that the series in and of itself has done good things for many people, and that I don't appreciate the mud slung at people who choose to ignore Rowling and also choose to refuse to support her, like myself. People online often rope me in with the diehards who buy every piece of merchandise, or the crazies that buy the stuff just to spout her rhetoric.

I personally have made the choice to not financially support her, but that doesnt mean I, or the many other people like me who's lives were touched by that story who have chosen the same path I have, deserve to be treated like dirt for liking it, or, to tie this back into the thread, from wanting it in this game. Obviously, the ideal answer for me is to have content from it without her getting paid, or, if that's entirely unavoidable, for PFG or WB to donate all profits from any cosmetics related to it to inclusive charities, but I just hate that I can't even talk about this stuff with some of my own friends without being torn to shreds because I've kept my books, DVDs, and merchandise from long before she started her rants, or in the case of my future plans to buy a USED copy of Hogwarts Legacy for personal enjoyment - because in that case, I am NOT supporting her monetarily. But I can only stop myself. I can't stop anyone else from doing it, so I don't understand why they want me or others like me to burn rather than the actual nameless problematic masses who do monetarily support her.

That's where my problems lie.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah that's not what got anything to do with what i was saying. i was saying people, who are strangers to you almost certainly don't want to hear it. talk to be people you know about or better yet a professional not strangers.

and i told you, you were wrong but you refused to believe that. don't pretend you accept other people's opinions when you basically flipped out cause i answered no to your yes or no question. you can accuse me of being that guy all you want but what you basically said to me was "well no one who gave star trek a fair chance could possibly come to a different opinion from me" and if you honestly think i can't like popular things then you are being wilfully blind to maintain a warped picture of me where you filled in the blanks with whatever you fancied. what reason did i have to think you hand only seen me talking about what i don't like? all i did was answer a question honestly and i was met a patronizing, condescending, dismissive reaction and refusal to believe me when i told you i had seen a lot of it. so tell what reason did i have to think that you were anything other than an angry trekie? you can accuse me of being "that guy" all you want but from where I'm sitting that's who you are. some one who could not handle someone having a different opinion and had to decredid the opinion.

and if you make the drax comparison again i'm reporting you for ableism. that's just not ok

My apologies to the rest of the thread for that but I needed to get that off my chest

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
yeah that's not what got anything to do with what i was saying. i was saying people, who are strangers to you almost certainly don't want to hear it. talk to be people you know about or better yet a professional not strangers.

and i told you, you were wrong but you refused to believe that. don't pretend you accept other people's opinions when you basically flipped out cause i answered no to your yes or no question. you can accuse me of being that guy all you want but what you basically said to me was "well no one who gave star trek a fair chance could possibly come to a different opinion from me" and if you honestly think i can't like popular things then you are being wilfully blind to maintain a warped picture of me where you filled in the blanks with whatever you fancied. what reason did i have to think you hand only seen me talking about what i don't like? all i did was answer a question honestly and i was met a patronizing, condescending, dismissive reaction and refusal to believe me when i told you i had seen a lot of it. so tell what reason did i have to think that you were anything other than an angry trekie? you can accuse me of being "that guy" all you want but from where I'm sitting that's who you are. some one who could not handle someone having a different opinion and had to decredid the opinion.

and if you make the drax comparison again i'm reporting you for ableism. that's just not ok
Oh so it's okay for you to make jabs at people but not when someone takes a jab at you? Double standard much?

It's a funny quote from a silly movie it's not meant to be taken seriously. But hey if you believe Drax is some sort of ableist icon I guess I can't stop you.

And, for the record, in regards to the Star Trek thing

I don't have an opinion on that. I don't even like Star Trek. I took a jab at you after the second (or maybe this is the third?) Time you've taken a potshot at me over that. Don't act blameless.

That said, I'm done with you. Don't bother responding, because I'm ignoring you from now on.

D

Deleted member

I
I will make one little anecdote in regards to the goblin thing. That's not really a Terfling fault, Goblins in media have literally been portrayed that way for as long as goblins have existed in fiction. So for once, that's the fault of people before her.

I, too, have many, many trans friends who are all wonderful, wonderful people who I love. Hell, as I mentioned before, both myself and my partner are gender non-conforming as well. And as I've said before, I also do not monetarily support the witch myself. I also understand that not everyone can seperate art from artist, and yes, the fact that her platform is being used to push that is awful. I'm not defending that.

The whole point of what I've been saying is that the series in and of itself has done good things for many people, and that I don't appreciate the mud slung at people who choose to ignore Rowling and also choose to refuse to support her, like myself. People online often rope me in with the diehards who buy every piece of merchandise, or the crazies that buy the stuff just to spout her rhetoric.

I personally have made the choice to not financially support her, but that doesnt mean I, or the many other people like me who's lives were touched by that story who have chosen the same path I have, deserve to be treated like dirt for liking it, or, to tie this back into the thread, from wanting it in this game. Obviously, the ideal answer for me is to have content from it without her getting paid, or, if that's entirely unavoidable, for PFG or WB to donate all profits from any cosmetics related to it to inclusive charities, but I just hate that I can't even talk about this stuff with some of my own friends without being torn to shreds because I've kept my books, DVDs, and merchandise from long before she started her rants, or in the case of my future plans to buy a USED copy of Hogwarts Legacy for personal enjoyment - because in that case, I am NOT supporting her monetarily. But I can only stop myself. I can't stop anyone else from doing it, so I don't understand why they want me or others like me to burn rather than the actual nameless problematic masses who do monetarily support her.

That's where my problems lie.
For the record I don't think you're a bad person for liking a franchise and I'm genuinely sorry if that's the impression I gave

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I

For the record I don't think you're a bad person for liking a franchise and I'm genuinely sorry if that's the impression I gave
Maybe it's the result of the people on Twitter, which in and of itself was already a toxic cesspool, but at this point it's been beaten into me so much that I am horrible just for liking it that I assume everyone who doesn't thinks the same. Thanks for the apology, and I'm sorry I assumed what you said. That's on me. I was getting way too heated over it. I'll take that L.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh so it's okay for you to make jabs at people but not when someone takes a jab at you? Double standard much?
sorry since when is calling some a miserable ******* who is deliberately disliking things for being popular a simple jab? you were making wild accusations

It's a funny quote from a silly movie it's not meant to be taken seriously. But hey if you believe Drax is some sort of ableist icon I guess I can't stop you.
no the manner in which you used it was ableist

And, for the record, in regards to the Star Trek thing

I don't have an opinion on that. I don't even like Star Trek. I took a jab at you after the second (or maybe this is the third?) Time you've taken a potshot at me over that. Don't act blameless.
i'm not pretending to be blameless i'm accusing you of being an overacting primidone. you asked the NASB thread if anyone would like star trek in the game and all i said was no. next time i come on i find myself being accused of not giving it a fair chance and just dismissing it for being popular to which i explained that simply wasn't true and there was no response to that. so tell me, how is that a jab? how is that well meaning banter? how is anyone suppose to see that as anything other than an attack for having a different opinion? all i did was say no and defend my right to dislike things. no if you honestly can't believe that the way in which you say things you say could be taken the wrong way then you're living in a fantasy. you were being as big an asshole as i was.

That said, I'm done with you. Don't bother responding, because I'm ignoring you from now on.
good for you but that doesn't change the fact that you're wrong about me and your whole response to the thing was anything less than a half baked opinion based on half a picture of a person executed with all the grace a civility of a twitter user.

Now if I’ve gotten griff mixed up with another user I will happily take everything I said and apologise wholeheartedly. But someone please tell me how am I supposed to take being told my opinions don’t matter as anything other than being horrible

Last edited:

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
Well, changing topic.

I am curious for their next character. Wonder if they're gonna announce something soon in a few days?

D

Deleted member

I think they'll wait till after new year at this point. But something in the first couple weeks of January feels likely

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
I just want some classic era CN representation. Ben 10, PPG, Samurai Jack, Dexter. You give me that lineup and I'll be satisfied with CN's lineup.

Genuinely I also kinda don't want Craig, not because of his show or character but because I dislike his head shape, it looks like a fish and I just don't think it'd translate well to 3D

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
I just want some classic era CN representation. Ben 10, PPG, Samurai Jack, Dexter. You give me that lineup and I'll be satisfied with CN's lineup.

Genuinely I also kinda don't want Craig, not because of his show or character but because I dislike his head shape, it looks like a fish and I just don't think it'd translate well to 3D
Same.

Other then Ben 10, the Eds would be perfect for me for a classic CN rep.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Seeing how other characters tease him, it looks like a peanut.

Though, I think it also supposed to resemble a brain because he's one smart boy.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I know it would've taken a lot more effort, but I wish this game and NASB were 2D games. Almost every single character in both games is much better designed in 2D rather than with 3D models.
Unless they took the Brawlhalla route of animating, alt costumes would be a hassle there

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

i want to see both eras get respect since i love a good number of shows from both.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So here's a question.

If we group characters by the WBD subsidiary they are owned by (aside from Reindog, who I assume is Player First Games' property), here's how it looks like:

Warner Bros Entertainment: Bugs, Taz, Marvin, Iron Giant, Gizmo, Stripe, (and I guess LeBron James's portrayal in Space Jam)
WBE & Turner Entertainment: Shaggy, Velma, Tom & Jerry
Cartoon Network: Finn, Jake, Steven, Garnet, Rick, Morty
DC: Superman, Batman, Harley, Wonder Woman, Black Adam
HBO: Arya

Which ones should/will get a new character before the others? And which new ones do you think we'll get sooner than later?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
So here's a question.

If we group characters by the WBD subsidiary they are owned by (aside from Reindog, who I assume is Player First Games' property), here's how it looks like:

Warner Bros Entertainment: Bugs, Taz, Marvin, Iron Giant, Gizmo, Stripe, (and I guess LeBron James's portrayal in Space Jam)

Which ones should/will get a new character before the others? And which new ones do you think we'll get sooner than later?
i'm betting DC first with Joker

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
So here's a question.

DC and CN will probably get more characters the soonest. Other than more GoT reps, it'll take a long time for HBO to get more characters. I know Tony Soprano is popular though.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
So here's a question.

Honestly I think before anything else I'd like to see a rep from Rooster Teeth and WB Games. Ruby and a MK character would bring their franchises onto the table for further representation, and Neopolitan is one of my top 5 most wanted even though I don't really care about RWBY.

osby

Smash Obsessed
so did they make "new year's" oufits? or are they sticking with the christmas one
I feel like they're just doing the "Christmas=Winter Holiday" thing.

The developers are based in the US, so it makes sense I guess but I personally don't care about them that much.

Top Bottom