• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Patch notes are live

Of note is that you will no longer get Wonder Woman from the tutorial. Instead Shaggy will be unlocked through the tutorial.
Tellingly, he's been hit with the nerf bat pretty hard for this one.

Sadly, There's still no arcade mode.
At this point I feel like that'll come only at the end of Season 1. Way bigger than just a character every few weeks.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
On a non-character related note, what're everyone's thoughts on this part of the patch notes?
patchnotes.png
I personally think it's a bad change. The leveling system is directly linked to characters perks, perk sharing, and skill training, all of which can provide a sizable advantage in online play. This change will give veterans with a character a distinct advantage in online matches over an opponent who's using a newer character, plus it will force newer players into having less options for longer while they grind character levels. Personally I grind characters in bot matches until I at least get a signature perk with them, so imo it'll make trying out new characters feel more like a chore.

If the devs were more focused on "the journey," they should balance it by putting all the gameplay perks comparitively earlier on in the leveling track to keep things fair between new players and veterans. As for the later levels, they can use it for currency or other character-specific goodies like stickers and taunts. That way there would still be stuff to work toward, but it wouldn't affect the actual gameplay as much and you could still play characters to their full potential while grinding to 15.

All-in-all it feels like an unnecessary change that fixes a problem that didn't really exist in the first place.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Well, that’s what they should’ve done from the beginning. Funny.
Yeah, it made no sense that Wonder Woman was the free tutorial character instead of Shaggy. Wonder Woman is a bit harder to use than Shaggy.

On a non-character related note, what're everyone's thoughts on this part of the patch notes?
I personally think it's a bad change. The leveling system is directly linked to characters perks, perk sharing, and skill training, all of which can provide a sizable advantage in online play. This change will give veterans with a character a distinct advantage in online matches over an opponent who's using a newer character, plus it will force newer players into having less options for longer while they grind character levels. Personally I grind characters in bot matches until I at least get a signature perk with them, so imo it'll make trying out new characters feel more like a chore.

If the devs were more focused on "the journey," they should balance it by putting all the gameplay perks comparitively earlier on in the leveling track to keep things fair between new players and veterans. As for the later levels, they can use it for currency or other character-specific goodies like stickers and taunts. That way there would still be stuff to work toward, but it wouldn't affect the actual gameplay as much and you could still play characters to their full potential while grinding to 15.

All-in-all it feels like an unnecessary change that fixes a problem that didn't really exist in the first place.
I don't really like this change personally. They should've kept levels 3-7 the same and only doubled the XP needed to go from 8 to 15. I think it's important to give players some perks and atleast one Signature Perk early on when they play a character. Signature Perks change a lot to a character's gameplay.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I don't really like this change personally. They should've kept levels 3-7 the same and only doubled the XP needed to go from 8 to 15. I think it's important to give players some perks and atleast one Signature Perk early on when they play a character. Signature Perks change a lot to a character's gameplay.
Yeah, I 100% agree. Plus, the part of the playerbase that this patch seems to be targeting has most likely already leveled several characters to 15 anyways, so this patch would really hit the new/casual playerbase the hardest. I could see this discouraging newer players as they'd need to work twice as hard to catch up to veteran players who already have more gameplay experience on top of more access to perks. Another thing the devs could've done if they cared about "the journey" was give rewards after level 15 to incentivize players in going past level 15 but where's the money in that?

The whole patch just screams "lazy artificial difficulty" to me.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, I 100% agree. Plus, the part of the playerbase that this patch seems to be targeting has most likely already leveled several characters to 15 anyways, so this patch would really hit the new/casual playerbase the hardest. I could see this discouraging newer players as they'd need to work twice as hard to catch up to veteran players who already have more gameplay experience on top of more access to perks. Another thing the devs could've done if they cared about "the journey" was give rewards after level 15 to incentivize players in going past level 15 but where's the money in that?

The whole patch just screams "lazy artificial difficulty" to me.
Most other live service games did this (like Marvel's the Avengers) to get more people to buy microtransactions.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Most other live service games did this (like Marvel's the Avengers) to get more people to buy microtransactions.
Yeah, it's concerning to see Multiversus take that same route as games like Marvel's the Avengers. In my eyes, it definitely puts the longevity of the game into question.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's concerning to see Multiversus take that same route as games like Marvel's the Avengers. In my eyes, it definitely puts the longevity of the game into question.
Especially considering that it would come off as a scummy move to get more players to use the microtransactions. It's sad to see Multiversus go that route.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Okay, you know what this game could really use for a simple quality of life upgrade? Give me an easier option to exit the game from the banner screen, instead of only being able to do so on the hub screen. Why is this important? Well, sometimes my wifi crashes while the game is trying to load, and then I literally can't enter or exit the game as the game window doesn't let me interact with anything else on my screen until I close it...which I can only do from the hub screen, which I can only access if my wifi is still connected. It's also useful for times like the present in which they won't let me access the hub screen because of server maintenance.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Hi all, I don’t come into this thread too often but had a topic of discussion I was curious to hear thoughts on

Should Daffy ever get in, which era of Daffy should it be? Bob Clampett Daffy or Chuck Jones Daffy?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
joker is character 28.

Also brain (the smart gremlin from gremlins 2) is a skin for stripe and has their own voicelines
for 2 seconds there i thought pinky and the brain were coming

Hi all, I don’t come into this thread too often but had a topic of discussion I was curious to hear thoughts on

Should Daffy ever get in, which era of Daffy should it be? Bob Clampett Daffy or Chuck Jones Daffy?
chuck

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh Daffy is definitely gonna be in for sure at some point. He's too big of a character to not to.
Patch is out and datamine spoiler

Joker has voice Line and a announcer pack. He is voiced by Mark Hamill.
I knew he'd get in for sure. As with Daffy, too big of a character not to.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That face when your all-time favorite portrayer of a certain character is involved and you can't say anything about it.

There isn't anything to get past Level 15, so it's no skin off my nose.

That said, competitive players are affected even less since they play far more than casual players anyhow. Besides, I only use funds for cosmetics and toast, the latter of which I haven't paid for since the pre-season pass.

I'd say the Chuck-influenced Looney Tunes Cartoons version, hopefully with a Duck Dodgers alt involved.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Daffy is my favorite, but I can't say I prefer one version of him over the other, so I'd hope for a bit of both. Some moves are Clampett Daffy references, some moves are Jones Daffy.

I'd say the Chuck-influenced Looney Tunes Cartoons version, hopefully with a Duck Dodgers alt involved.
The Daffy in Looney Tunes Cartoons is Clampett inspired. Jones' Daffy is the pompous, greedy, jealous one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given how the insider has somehow managed to pinpoint who the 28th character is ahead of time, I think we may see them during the holidays or close enough after them.

Edit: Unfortunately, Rick still uses recycled audio, as expected. Only time will tell if Justin will ever be available for this.

Daffy is my favorite, but I can't say I prefer one version of him over the other, so I'd hope for a bit of both. Some moves are Clampett Daffy references, some moves are Jones Daffy.

The Daffy in Looney Tunes Cartoons is Clampett inspired. Jones' Daffy is the pompous, greedy, jealous one.
Clampett it is, then. Sorry, I got my eras mixed up.

In any case, both versions had aspects mixed to some degree in more modern takes of Daffy before, so I imagine they'd do similarly here given how some characters have elements from other continuities.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I highly disagree. I think Eric Bauza is doing an amazing job as Daffy and I'd rather have new voice lines with actual interactions and an announcer pack instead of what Rick and Morty have.
oh i'm sorry i didn't mean for that to sound like there was a choice

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If I can recall, I remember back in December 2021, the Multiversus Devs officially stated and confirmed that any existing fictional character from anywhere is possible to join the roster. Not just WB characters.

As a newly reformed and improved fanboy, I'm going to ask, are multiversus support threads for any fictional character allowed?

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
If I can recall, I remember back in December 2021, the Multiversus Devs officially stated and confirmed that any existing fictional character from anywhere is possible to join the roster. Not just WB characters.

As a newly reformed and improved fanboy, I'm going to ask, are multiversus support threads for any fictional character allowed?
It’s a tough call since a later interview with the head of WB Games mentioned how the roster will focus primarily on properties within the WB catalog. So for now I would recommend only focusing on Warner Bros Discovery properties. If a third party had a WB connection then I am a bit more lenient on it (such as Doc and Marty from BTTF. The franchise is from Universal but Lego Dimensions features both as characters) so if there is a legit WB connection then I think it should be allowed but you must be able to prove the connection. If you cannot then the thread will be locked (and said connection must be beyond “the franchise aired on Cartoon Network/Adult Swim” (this is an example) because a lot of shows/movies would fit that one). Should a third party get in, then all fictional characters will be permitted.

That said, characters from fanworks are off the table regardless of the franchise they are based off of, if they were allowed the number of threads would be too much to handle!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Remember when we were speculating about who could have a kancho attack? It's actually Rick up air. Something funny is that in the Rick showcase they actually make a Naruto joke. At 1:50 "looks like it would cause a few years of pain", a reference to the fact that this technique is called "a thousand years of pain" in Naruto.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Remember when we were speculating about who could have a kancho attack? It's actually Rick up air. Something funny is that in the Rick showcase they actually make a Naruto joke. At 1:50 "looks like it would cause a few years of pain", a reference to the fact that this technique is called "a thousand years of pain" in Naruto.

i made a joke about that on reddit, here's the link to my post.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
SneakyLink SneakyLink I still think it's a Smash kind of deal in that initially it's set to be WB stuff until we hit the late 30s or so.

I mean, at this rate we'll gradually and eventually go more into lesser-known characters, so sooner or later negotiations may actually start taking effect for anything outside the WB umbrella to break that pattern, depending on who many fans ask for over time. Aside from Nintendo characters for obvious reasons, although they might try to do a Switch port at some point anyhow.

Plus, the Discord demand chart is seemingly set to be updated over time: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...z4CLD1VQaONWHfK9vzaYTMYq8U/edit#gid=544221926

That said, some new word about improvements from Tony.

Also, VO attack lines for a certain character.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Back to square one for Naruto speculation then.

If the ninja fighter placeholder is still going to be a thing and it isn't for him or an original character, I wonder who it might be for.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
SneakyLink SneakyLink I still think it's a Smash kind of deal in that initially it's set to be WB stuff until we hit the late 30s or so.

I mean, at this rate we'll gradually and eventually go more into lesser-known characters, so sooner or later negotiations may actually start taking effect for anything outside the WB umbrella to break that pattern, depending on who many fans ask for over time. Aside from Nintendo characters for obvious reasons, although they might try to do a Switch port at some point anyhow.

Plus, the Discord demand chart is seemingly set to be updated over time: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...z4CLD1VQaONWHfK9vzaYTMYq8U/edit#gid=544221926

If the ninja fighter placeholder is still going to be a thing and it isn't for him or an original character, I wonder who it might be for.
Jeez you're right the poll is changing, pretty soon Walter white's gonna catch up
but even then Ben is still in development and has been longer than Walter.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Wait, why is Jarro even that popular? Is it a meme that I missed? Him being the second most popular DC characters makes no sense.

Top Bottom