• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multihit parrying is still in the game

Axioms

Smash Rookie
Title, I was playing and I saw it happen, the first time it happened I tested it but came up with no results. Then it happened again so I saved the replay, and this time I found a way to consistently do it.
I tested everything in training mode/training stage on the default training mode settings, aside from pressing ZL to advance 1 frame.
I've defined frame numbers as the folllowing: Frame-0 is the frame on which the imput is made, as imputs register when a button is held when a frame progresses onto the next one
(i.e. pressing the shield button on frame-0 will initiate a shield imput on frame-1).
Testing was done on Ver. 3.0.0

Palutena's neutral-special multi-parries the second hit when hit on f-1 of parry(i.e. f-1 of shield-drop, f-4 of shield input) (f-27 of nspecial), the 2nd hit hits on f-8 of parry-freeze, the 3rd on f-15, Mario loses parry eyes on f-7.
Strangely, this only happens when a shield-input is made on f-23 to f-24 and the 3rd hit does not get parried.
Even stranger, when a shield-input is made on f-22 to f-23, it will sometimes be a f-1 parry that does not multi-parry, and sometimes it will be a f-2 parry that also does not get parried.
Although I don't know why or how, it is possible to multi-parry all 3 hits of Palutena's nspecial, which I know because I have a replay in wherein it happens, and I've tried to find a way to upload a video of it but none of the sites I've used actually uploads the video correctly, so if anyone wants it, I can give it to you, but I don't know how to do it so you'll have to come up with someway to do it.

Sheik's FC-neutral-special multi-parries the second hit when hit on f-1 of parry(i.e. f-1 of shield-drop, f-4 of shield input) (f-12 of FC-nspecial), the 2nd hit hits on f-6 of parry-freeze, the 3rd on f-10.
When hit on f-2 of shield-drop(shield-input on f-7 to f-8), this is f-5 for the 2nd hit, and f-9 for the 3rd (this is the same when hit on f-3 of shield-drop(shield-input on f-6 to f-7)).
Parrying on f-3 of shield-drop(shield-input on f-6 to f-7) will sometimes not multi-parry the 2nd hit, which hits on f-6 of parry-freeze.
Sometimes the 2nd hit hits on f-5 of parry-freeze, and this will result in the 3rd hit getting parried as well on f-8, the 4th hits on f-12.

Ridley's FC-neutral-special multi-parries the second hit when hit on f-1 of parry(i.e. f-1 of shield-drop, f-4 of shield input) (f-59 of nspecial), the 2nd hit hits on f-9, the 3rd on f-19, f-20, or f-21. Mario loses parry eyes on f-16.
Sometimes the 2nd hit will not parry and instead hit on f-14 after parry-freeze.
It only works when the shield-input is on f-55 to f-56 of nspecial, a shield-input on f-54 to f-55 will be a f-1 parry, but it cannot be a multi-parry (from what I tested, maybe someone else can get it to work).

From my testing with Sheik, it seems that in order to multi-parry you have to be hit again before f-5(a f-4 window) after the 1st parry, however the Palutena results indicate that this is not the case, and with Palutena the yellow "parry-eyes" disappear before the multi-parry comes out.
It also seems that multi-parrying only works with projectile multi-hits, I couldn't get it to work with other multi-hit moves like Yoshi's and Mario's dair, though other moves might work?

Last edited:

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
So to parry all the projectiles your parry needs to be manually inputted every 2 or so projectiles (assuming these examples ofc)?

Axioms

Smash Rookie
So to parry all the projectiles your parry needs to be manually inputted every 2 or so projectiles (assuming these examples ofc)?
To answer your question: yes, but there's a bit more to it.
See, while it is still possible to multi-parry(i.e. parrying multiple attacks with one parry input) this seems to be only possible under the following conditions:

The multihit-attack must be parried on f-1 of shield-drop(i.e. the first possible parry frame), though it seems that there are many exceptions to this(like being able to multi-parry Sheik's FC-nspecial on f-2 of shield-drop, and not being able to multi-parry Ridley's FC-nspecial when shield is inputted on f-54 to f-55, despite this resulting in a f-1 parry)
This seems to be only possible with multihit-projectiles and not regular multihit-attacks, apparently due to regular multihit-attacks also parry-freezing the attacker, whereas multihit-projectiles do not parry-freeze the attacker, causing the move to be able to hit again while the defender's parry-freeze is still active, which seems to be the trigger for activating the multi-parry.

What you seem to asking is: Is it possible to multi-multi-parry(repeated multi-parries)?
While technically possible, this(to my knowledge) cannot actually happen in the game, due to it requiring a move with very specific frame-data that would look something like this:
Hit 1 hits on f-1 of 1st parry;
Hit 2 hits on f-6 of the still-active 1st parry, triggering the 1st multi-parry;
Hit 3 hits on f-1(f-12 after the 1st parry) of 2nd parry;
Hit 4 hits on f-6(f-17 after the 1st parry) of the still-active 2nd parry, triggering the 2nd multi-parry. (these numbers are based on the multi-parry window of Sheik's FC-nspecial)

This cannot actually be done with Sheik's FC-nspecial due to hit 3 hitting on f-9 of the 1st parry(after the multi-parry has been activated), and the faf of the 1st multi-parry is also f-9 of the 1st parry (after the multi-parry has been activated), and since, in order to initiate a parry, you need at least 4 frames(i.e. the time it takes to initiate a shield and drop it), any attempt to multi-multi-parry will fail due to hit 3 hitting on the first frame that shield is active.

So in order to do a multi-multi-parry you'd need an attack that would hit 2 times within 6 frames, and then again hit 2 times within 6 frames, while still having enough frames in between the 2 sets of 2 attacks to initiate a parry; again, to my knowledge, such an attack does not actually exist within this game.

Of course all of this requires more testing to accurately determine what exactly is going on, hopefully some dataminers can shed some light onto this.
One thing that I've forgotten to do is mention that all nspecials are fully charged, which is something that I'll go back to and correct.

Last edited:

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Great info! I'm sure you could test multiple multi-parries by using two attacking test dummies and frame advance, but I'll leave that up to your discretion.

Thank you~

Top Bottom