• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multi-Fighter Stock

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I saw somewhere on Project M that the mod has something called "All Star Stock". It's a stock match where you use a different fighter each time you die. Is there any chance it could be added to Smash Ultimate? It looks really fun and can make for interesting games.
Bonus question: If Multi-Fighter Stock was a thing, what would be the first thing you would do with it?

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I saw somewhere on Project M that the mod has something called "All Star Stock". It's a stock match where you use a different fighter each time you die. Is there any chance it could be added to Smash Ultimate? It looks really fun and can make for interesting games.
Bonus question: If Multi-Fighter Stock was a thing, what would be the first thing you would do with it?
My most wanted mode since Melee. In Project M I set the stock to roster size so we can cycle through everyone. I think Smash Tour shows the idea has at least occured to Nintendo, so it's possible.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Oh, I forgot it was in Smash Tour as well. If they can do it with extra modes, it can't be that hard to implement.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I really like this idea!

Except it makes me wonder if we get to pick the characters or if they will just be random. We got 60+ fighters now so I doubt we’d get any more than twice unless it ends up being a 35+ stock match

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I think you would be able to pick the characters. The freedom of selecting characters allows you to pick all your mains or go with a thematic approach.

Link, Young Link, and Toon Link.
MewTwo, Lucario, and Greninja.
Fox, Falco, and Wolf.

It's obviously not limited to three stocks, but you get the point.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I think Smash Tour shows the idea has at least occured to Nintendo, so it's possible.
They'd have to be idiots completely out of touch with fighting games not to have thought of it, but we are talking about Nintendo here.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I really like this idea!

Except it makes me wonder if we get to pick the characters or if they will just be random. We got 60+ fighters now so I doubt we’d get any more than twice unless it ends up being a 35+ stock match
Id hope for picking staring character then cycling by number from there. That way full roster fights are fast to setup.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
They'd have to be idiots completely out of touch with fighting games not to have thought of it, but we are talking about Nintendo here.
It was somewhat of a thing. Their implementation of it was just poor, and it was only available for the WiiU version.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I already saw a post about this but can't remember if I replied or not. Anyway, I think that everyone already thought about this and yes, it would be one of the greatest features of Ultimate if they add this feature to the rules panel. Back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Subspace Emissary had this feature so we don't ask for too much. I really hopes that this will be on Ultimate.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ignoring Smash Tour for the best, I’d love to see this implemented in All Star Mode (or even get its own mode)

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Yes please, this is possibly the thing that I want in the game second most after Simon Belmont.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
wow, calling nintendo idiots... why do you even buy their games?

just makes you sound spoiled rotten.

also... "out of touch with fighting games" for not considering the subject of this topic?

i haven't seen or played ANY fighting game with this option available... so apparently EVERYONE is out of touch with these imaginary fighting games you're talking about.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
This is highkey one of my top hopes for this game, especially considering we already had this mode in Smash 4, although it was shoved onto the end of Smash Tour, and who wants to play that? Seriously, think of the possibilities such a mode would open up, both on the casual and competitive side of things. The first thing I'd do is definitely play a game with all of my favorite characters, since that's kind of been a dream of mine.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Before the Pokémon Trainer was revealed to be coming back, I wanted this to be the substitute for transformations.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
It will defiantly be an amazing option for those who want to play casual with swap out stocks and what not or for those who want to play every fighter in one match. I also see it opening up competitive opportunities for new types of tournaments where you can choose multiple different fighters.

Before the Pokémon Trainer was revealed to be coming back, I wanted this to be the substitute for transformations.
Even with transformations, I still think this can work. All one has to do is have a Pokémon Trainer spawn when his turn in the rotation approaches.

Honestly, with Pokémon Trainer returning, I do kind of want Samus and Zelda to get their transformations back (preferably in place of a taunt).

Last edited:

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I like it for Ultimate, even for use beyond casual/side tournaments. Make it standard/default with a good handicap system, kind of like CVS2. If you use more than 1 character, then you have to accept handicaps, though you can choose your weaker and weakest stocks.

For example. If 3-Stock Match is the standard, you can pick up to 3 characters. You can apply handicap A, B, or C to whichever character you want.

Player 1
1-Mario -> C
2-Luigi -> A
vs
Player 2
1-Bowser -> No Handicap

or
Player 1
1-Mario -> A
2-Luigi -> C
3-Peach -> B
vs
Player 2
1-Bowser -> No Handicap

Examples of handicaps.
A = 85% Damage Output
B = 80% Damage Output, 10% More Damage Taken, 1.3x Shield Deterioration Rate
C = 75% Damage Output, 15% More Damage Taken, 1.8x Shield Deterioration Rate
Whatever the handicap options, players who want to bank on the "matchup mixup" option of using multiple characters has to feel the handicaps, while risky, is a fair trade. But at the same time, someone who wouldn't mind going with multiple characters should feel like the "no handicap" route for that single character they believe in, regardless of what match ups lie ahead, is compelling too.

Also, you can hide the order of your stocks during character select by pressing a D-direction at the same time of choosing a character.
D-Left = #1, D-Up = #2, D-Right = #3, and D-Down = #4. So while Peach may be the first character you select, your opponent doesn't know that you pressed D-Right to set her to 3rd Stock.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
It could perfectly function as its own multiplayer mode, next to Smash and 8-player Smash. It could be called 'Ultimate Smash' or something along these lines and it would be great for tournaments and for casual play. If you could change characters mid-battle it'd be even more awesome, but I don't think Sakurai is willing to go that far.

Who knows, maybe it'll be announced in this Wednesday's direct.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I agree that this feature would be great for "casuals" as well as competitive match. They did it for Smash Tour in Super Smash Bros. 4 and on Subspace Emissary back in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it won't be so hard to implement that feature in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate... isn't it?

But they doesn't have to make it a brand new multiplayer mode. A simple rules feature next to Stock / Coins / Time would be perfect (though it won't bother me if they added a new multiplayer mode anyway). Adding handicap to the others stock would destroy the fun so I don't even know why you come up with this terrible idea.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm curious...since this is basically KoF mode, do you think a mode like this might become a big thing in competitive?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'm curious...since this is basically KoF mode, do you think a mode like this might become a big thing in competitive?
I could see it getting some notoriety as a common side tournament. It got some decent usage that way in PM where it was added in because fans requested it.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Me: So it's like Skullgirls, then?

You: eh, more like Marvel Vs. Capcom.

Me: So it's like Skullgirls, then?

You: N-no, Marvel Vs. Capco--

Me: Did I stutter?

But for real though, this would be a pretty neat idea.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's not really like MvC though, because there wouldn't be tagging in and out.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Could be cool though, it would had that strategic element to it. I.e. rack up % with Sonic and switch to Ganondorf for the finish :)
You'd need additional buttons for switching characters though. Which means you wouldn't be able to play the mode with JoyCons. So I don't see Nintendo doing that.

You'd need additional buttons for switching characters though. Which means you wouldn't be able to play the mode with JoyCons. So I don't see Nintendo doing that.
Yeah i guess you're right but i was just day dreaming about the concept. What about shaking your JoyCons super fast! :p

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It could work with a button combination that hadn't been used elsewhere.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
True now that you say that. They didn't specify if it's during the battle or not so not confirmed yet you're right.
It very much looked like even the winning side changes characters upon victory. And there's allegedly enough time for someone else to come in and play instead.

Untouch

Smash Master
It very much looked like even the winning side changes characters upon victory. And there's allegedly enough time for someone else to come in and play instead.
I don't think they'd put in a feature for that if that was the case, I think they added that to sync players and characters with controllers.
Actually watching the direct again Sakurai explicitly states that it'll be one battle.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
All we need now is being able to choose the quantity of stocks. Only time will tell if we can do more stocks with this.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/howtoplay/mode.html

Clears a lot up, it IS a multi character stock battle it seems, but only 3 or 5 fighers which is odd.
Actually it makes a lot of sense that it's 3 to 5 fighters on each team. Five or less stocks show countable heads while more than five would display one head times the number.

5 stock: :ultpikachu: :ultpikachu: :ultpikachu: :ultpikachu: :ultpikachu:
6 stock: :ultpikachu: X 6

It'll be impossible to display a multi-fighter stock with six or more characters for each player.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Easy. Display the next five fighters, and utilize a blank stock bubble of some kind to show how many unseen characters are left in a player’s line up. Realistically, one doesn’t need to know how far away a character is from being played until it’s with in a few lives.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
well here is another thing... if it's all in one battle, that means every character has to be loaded in and ready to come out to fight when it's their turn.

can you imagine attempting that with 50 characters?

3 to 5 seems fine, and those are the number of stocks i typically see used, anyway.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
well here is another thing... if it's all in one battle, that means every character has to be loaded in and ready to come out to fight when it's their turn.

can you imagine attempting that with 50 characters?

3 to 5 seems fine, and those are the number of stocks i typically see used, anyway.

This is probably the most accurate reason why it's capped at 5v5.

I wonder if you can do more than one stock per character though. If you can't then this is not good enough for actual crews (although it is definitely exactly what this thread was asking for).

Last edited:
Top Bottom