• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Zero Suit Samus

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
The reason I mention the two frame landing lag is simply because Link has some of the absolute worst landing options in the game. So its easy for ZSS (with top tier air and ground mobility) to catch his landing with little effort. Hence why this is such a terrible matchup to begin with and explains why Link is such a bad character altogether.

I also have a ZSS in my region who is power ranked (as am I) so I play this matchup as both Link and Sheik. Having a Sheik icon next to my tag has hilariously made you believe I don't use Link, for whatever reason.

You can challenge her uair all you want, but dair is too slow of a move to be used reliably. The startup is terrible, his movement during the duration is bad and the endlag is trash unless you stay in the air long enough for it to end. If it works against your random ZSS at your weekly, great, whatever. It can certainly work as a mixup, but then again, anything can work if someone doesn't expect it. But it'd be insulting to suggest that players like Nairo, Nick Riddle, and Salem would fall for such an abysmal option regularly. Nice try though. Really.

Other than the occasional mixup (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here), its just not the answer in this matchup, sorry. I shouldn't have to actually tell someone that.
You were talking about landing lag concerning the two frames of landing lag not landing options. Hilariously you must not realize it's two frames minimum for every other character as well... which should mean ZSS should be able to catch everyone's landing in general.

Also, you can't spotdodge a punish to your landing if done correctly because there's at least 2 frames of landing lag no matter what. Again, you clearly lack the knowledge to back up your argument.
Even if it were about landing options ZSS's grab range is greater than most aerials so shouldn't she also be able to catch everyone else throwing an aerial to protect themselves on the way down? I mean there'd be even more lag in that case given landing lag would be at minimum 9 - 10. Now even if the other character had great aerial mobility (not that it matters much as ZSS ground speed is much faster) or a move that could be used for aerial mobility they would still have to land right? So unless they're grabbing the ledge (presenting other problems) everyone has at lowest two frames of landing lag that ZSS should be able to punish on.

That clearly isn't the case even at the highest level of competition yet here you are saying it's so easy for ZSS to catch Link's landing, the actual two frame minimum landing itself which would basically be the same for every other character.

But enough about your imaginary frame perfect ZSS, you're now saying there may be value in it as a mixup which has been the point the entire time. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt but I shouldn't have to tell someone that an option with so many conditions and risks shouldn't be used every time.

The Sheik icon next to your tag points out who you consider your main. I'm not saying you don't use Link but I'm pretty sure I've used Link in more Smash 4 tourneys than you and I'm certain I've faced ZSS in tourney as Link more than you. Yet you'll write off my input so easily so you must know a lot about Link vs ZSS. I'd love to see you face that PR ZSS of yours since the PR ZSS over here is just a random in your book. You've implied several times I must have no idea what I'm doing or the ZSS here are terrible so please show me how it's done at a "high level of competition".

By the way did you ask Izaw about his Dair usage? I'm sure aside from myself and Izaw you'll find other Links who actually use Dair in this MU.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
You were talking about landing lag concerning the two frames of landing lag not landing options. Hilariously you must not realize it's two frames minimum for every other character as well... which should mean ZSS should be able to catch everyone's landing in general.

Even if it were about landing options ZSS's grab range is greater than most aerials so shouldn't she also be able to catch everyone else throwing an aerial to protect themselves on the way down? I mean there'd be even more lag in that case given landing lag would be at minimum 9 - 10. Now even if the other character had great aerial mobility (not that it matters much as ZSS ground speed is much faster) or a move that could be used for aerial mobility they would still have to land right? So unless they're grabbing the ledge (presenting other problems) everyone has at lowest two frames of landing lag that ZSS should be able to punish on.

That clearly isn't the case even at the highest level of competition yet here you are saying it's so easy for ZSS to catch Link's landing, the actual two frame minimum landing itself which would basically be the same for every other character.

But enough about your imaginary frame perfect ZSS, you're now saying there may be value in it as a mixup which has been the point the entire time. Thanks for the benefit of the doubt but I shouldn't have to tell someone that an option with so many conditions and risks shouldn't be used every time.

The Sheik icon next to your tag points out who you consider your main. I'm not saying you don't use Link but I'm pretty sure I've used Link in more Smash 4 tourneys than you and I'm certain I've faced ZSS in tourney as Link more than you. Yet you'll write off my input so easily so you must know a lot about Link vs ZSS. I'd love to see you face that PR ZSS of yours since the PR ZSS over here is just a random in your book. You've implied several times I must have no idea what I'm doing or the ZSS here are terrible so please show me how it's done at a "high level of competition".

By the way did you ask Izaw about his Dair usage? I'm sure aside from myself and Izaw you'll find other Links who actually use Dair in this MU.
You weren't arguing about it being a mixup, you were arguing it being a good option. Those are two very different things.

Anything can be used as a mixup so long as an opponent doesn't expect it. That's why it's called a mixup. But that isn't what was being discussed. If your intentions were for it to be a mixup, that's entirely different, but you clearly worded it as it being an actual option. Next time I'd suggest clarifying this in the first place.

And you don't have to be frame perfect to punish Link's landing. You just have to be near him, which ZSS will most certainly be.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
So, passing over Dair discussion, is there any real option for trying to land against ZSS before getting 60%? Because it seems to me that none of our attacks neither jump or airdodge can help in any way, instead you're only putting you in a worse situation most of the time. Is retreating to the ledge fast with a Fastfall Zair our only option, while still being under ledgeguarding danger?

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
At this point i can only say that the only way link can escape this is with the classic bomb in hand explosion... If you DI up in the up air strings, there is some chance for you to escape the upb but in that point you have to be lucky.

Last edited:

Nimious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nimious
You weren't arguing about it being a mixup, you were arguing it being a good option. Those are two very different things.

Anything can be used as a mixup so long as an opponent doesn't expect it. That's why it's called a mixup. But that isn't what was being discussed. If your intentions were for it to be a mixup, that's entirely different, but you clearly worded it as it being an actual option. Next time I'd suggest clarifying this in the first place.

And you don't have to be frame perfect to punish Link's landing. You just have to be near him, which ZSS will most certainly be.
But it is an option, it covers for the most part ZSS Up-air and Boost Kick.

A mixup forces your opponent to guess what you are doing.... Are you now arguing options can't be used as mixups...?

If you use Dair, ZSS can no longer assume all you'll do is jump and air dodge which are your defensive options. I don't know how much experience you have in this MU but you're dead if you don't give ZSS reason to show some kind of respect.

I'm pretty sure Link mains reading what I've written about Dair itself would realize it's something they can use not always use. It's an option that has value under certain conditions and has risks as I mentioned. I didn't write the most obvious things with it like you shouldn't Dair into the ground that you felt a need to mention because I gave some credit to the reader who I thought would be Link mains.

As I already pointed out earlier ZSS would be near most of the cast anyways at landing and I don't feel like going over that again if you didn't get the point.

So how about showing how your Link fairs against that PR ZSS?

So, passing over Dair discussion, is there any real option for trying to land against ZSS before getting 60%? Because it seems to me that none of our attacks neither jump or airdodge can help in any way, instead you're only putting you in a worse situation most of the time. Is retreating to the ledge fast with a Fastfall Zair our only option, while still being under ledgeguarding danger?
It's why I argue you should consider Dair because both jumping and air dodging work so poorly.

Even if you jump the best you can do is pull a bomb and that probably won't save you. If you air dodge and the ZSS is on top of you during it then you're going to get hit still. Everyone knows at a certain distance above the ground you can't air dodge anymore because of the landing lag but against ZSS she'll punish and send you back into the air. Since Up-air cancels so well on the ground ZSS can Up-tilt right after. Even if you're past the percentages where she can Up-tilt you she'll be jumping back into the air for more Up-airs.

Grabbing the ledge is also very dangerous vs ZSS. Since she has a tether trump (7 frames over typical 20) and powerful Bair she can punish you for the ledge grab far better than most. You're basically forced to make a decision when she's running near the ledge and that could force you to make bad decisions.

Her Dair was also basically unpunishable on shield but I believe with the new patch that's no longer the case. She still has her paralyzer to make things difficult though. Either way even if you do manage to grab the ledge with ZSS a fair distance away it'd still be a poor position. The new patch has also made her Nair safe on Link's shield. Even if you perfect shield it your grab won't come out before her spot dodge or jab.

If you want a "real option" there are none. Perhaps a B-reverse arrow could fool the ZSS but with Link's poor air speed and the lag it'd be unlikely and dangerous.

In any case you can't just use jump and air dodge only. You can't allow the ZSS to show you no respect and mindlessly Up-air you or you'll never win.

Last edited:

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
I don't know if there's already a thread specifically for this matchup so if there is, excuse me for posting this.

This matchup has always been a bit...tricky for me.

I go to this weekly tournament and I usually end up having to play this Zero Suit Samus.

Though I usually win, I feel like I could be doing a better job in this matchup, as a few things I've noticed that tend to bother me are:

1. I get grabbed a pretty decent amount because ZSS's grab, despite the ending lag it has, seems to have rather fast startup.

2. I have problems actually punishing certain attacks, such as the Side-B and her Down-B, and sometimes even the massive ending lag from ZSS's Up-B, because I know I should be getting in a smash attack if that gets whiffed or doesn't fully connect.

3. ZSS's Neutral B will sometimes give me trouble, as what they'll usually do is use that to keep me in my shield and then go for a grab or sometimes just read my jump out of shield and hit me with an aerial of some sort.

4. That dash attack goes straight through my shield, which more or less puts me in a very unfavorable position with ZSS right behind me.

I do Up-smash and Up-B out of shield when possible, but I'd rather be able to have more optimal punishes than just that.

So any ideas or just general tips for this matchup? Maybe improve my bomb and projectile play in general?

The matchup isn't terrible, but I just feel like I could do something more, you know?

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
1. I get grabbed a pretty decent amount because ZSS's grab, despite the ending lag it has, seems to have rather fast startup.
im always stunned when people say zss's grab has a lot of ending lag but a fast startup. jfc its 16 frames which is the slowest in the game along with samus

2. I have problems actually punishing certain attacks, such as the Side-B and her Down-B, and sometimes even the massive ending lag from ZSS's Up-B, because I know I should be getting in a smash attack if that gets whiffed or doesn't fully connect.
dafuq sideb is laggy as hell, good zss players barely tend to use it cause its super easy to punish with almost everything wether its whiffed or on shield. downb depends on wether she uses the kick or not; if she does then she should be punished pretty much 100% of the time and if she doesnt just try to follow/read her movement and then punish accordingly, though this may be difficult at times with our lack of mobility

3. ZSS's Neutral B will sometimes give me trouble, as what they'll usually do is use that to keep me in my shield and then go for a grab or sometimes just read my jump out of shield and hit me with an aerial of some sort.
then dont stay in shield for so long lel

I do Up-smash and Up-B out of shield when possible, but I'd rather be able to have more optimal punishes than just that.
if you want optimal punishes then dont play link lel

FrankDaTank

Smash Cadet
im always stunned when people say zss's grab has a lot of ending lag but a fast startup. jfc its 16 frames which is the slowest in the game along with samus

dafuq sideb is laggy as hell, good zss players barely tend to use it cause its super easy to punish with almost everything wether its whiffed or on shield. downb depends on wether she uses the kick or not; if she does then she should be punished pretty much 100% of the time and if she doesnt just try to follow/read her movement and then punish accordingly, though this may be difficult at times with our lack of mobility

then dont stay in shield for so long lel

if you want optimal punishes then dont play link lel
You could have been a bit nicer and less condescending with your post, you know. Excuse me if I don't know everything about a character I don't even play.

Also, notice I said her grab SEEMS fast. As in, from my experience, it seems quick on startup. To me, it seems like it comes out much, much faster than 16 frames.

ZSS speed just makes things rather difficult for Link once she gets in his face and especially if she gets the grab, as that leads to big damage, even with proper DI away from her.

And how exactly do you punish Side-B if it's at the very end of the whip? Seems like it has too little endlag to be punished properly if spaced correctly from my experience.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
You could have been a bit nicer and less condescending with your post, you know. Excuse me if I don't know everything about a character I don't even play.

Also, notice I said her grab SEEMS fast. As in, from my experience, it seems quick on startup.

No need to be a douche when someone's asking a question or for advice. Calm down, dude.

And also, just because you don't like Link doesn't mean you need to say "if you want optimal punishes don't play this character lelelelel". The game is supposed to have some amount of fun in it, let people play whoever they want.
Keep the discussion in this thread focused on the MU between Link and ZSS. If you disagree with anything said, feel free to explain your reasons why, otherwise don't reply. I will not have you spamming this thread because you felt insulted by being told you were wrong. This is your warning.

Mikeyxrage

Smash Rookie
NNID
MikeyRage
Zss is a pretty hard match up for Link do your best to keep her out of your zone the farther away you are from her the better (although her insane mobility makes that very hard get ready to use alot of jabs, zairs and projectiles) don't even attempt to use arrows unless zss is at the other side of the stage. Rang, zair and bombs are the best thing against her keep her away and zair if she does get in your face it's best to jab her out. try to keep her on the ground by reading her jumps and throwing your rang out accordingly and do your best to keep out of Paralyzer Shots range.

Zss also has I think the fastest first jab in the game (i could be wrong she at least use to) her tether grab is insane it's fast (for a tether) and stays out for a hell of a long time long enough that if timed right and positioned right she could get you if you spot dodged or rolled back it can cover both.

if given the change and you cower in your shield zss will abuse using the Paralyser Shot (or just coming and grabbing you) and running toward you if your predictable prepare to get grabbed or fair'd or even Upb'd in the face (at killing %? and spot dodging alot then yeah upb comes out fast enough to punish a spot dodge if they read your going to try spot dodge the grab)

for anyone struggling with zss dashing though your shields you can up B or Up smash punish her or lay a bomb on the floor by short hopping and zairing and camp till it's about to explode although staying in one place isn't a good idea you should be always moving around.

In short do your best to zone her out with projectiles mostly bombs and rang and try to zone her out with fairs, jabs and zair. It's also better to be below zss then above her and remember uptilt and upsmash have pretty amazing range just remember not to commit to using an upsmash because you wasted her double jump when she still has her down B to jump over it.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
her tether grab is insane it's fast (for a tether) and stays out for a hell of a long time long enough that if timed right and positioned right she could get you if you spot dodged or rolled back it can cover both.
seriously the next time a scrub comes in here and says zss's grab is fast im quitting these boards. you're all making me cry

if given the change and you cower in your shield zss will abuse using the Paralyser Shot (or just coming and grabbing you) and running toward you if your predictable prepare to get grabbed or fair'd or even Upb'd in the face (at killing %? and spot dodging alot then yeah upb comes out fast enough to punish a spot dodge if they read your going to try spot dodge the grab)
yeah zss will definitely start abusing her neutral b once you're in your shield, because thats exactly how its going to hit, right? you're describing a situation in here in which the link player would have already made a mistake, but you should post things here what people can do to prevent these mistakes rather than what to do in a situation after having made the mistake. in short; though it should be quite obvious, you should never stay in shield for too long against zss.

for anyone struggling with zss dashing though your shields you can up B or Up smash punish her or lay a bomb on the floor by short hopping and zairing and camp till it's about to explode although staying in one place isn't a good idea you should be always moving around.
''what i just told you actually isnt a good idea because <insert reason here>''
when i was reading this part at first i already figured you were trolling but it looks like you already kinda admit it yourself, so ok thanks

It's also better to be below zss then above her
today, i learned something

and remember uptilt and upsmash have pretty amazing range just remember not to commit to using an upsmash because you wasted her double jump when she still has her down B to jump over it.
''remember usmash as pretty amazing range but just remember not to use it!''

Mikeyxrage

Smash Rookie
NNID
MikeyRage
seriously the next time a scrub comes in here and says zss's grab is fast im quitting these boards. you're all making me cry

yeah zss will definitely start abusing her neutral b once you're in your shield, because thats exactly how its going to hit, right? you're describing a situation in here in which the link player would have already made a mistake, but you should post things here what people can do to prevent these mistakes rather than what to do in a situation after having made the mistake. in short; though it should be quite obvious, you should never stay in shield for too long against zss.

''what i just told you actually isnt a good idea because <insert reason here>''
when i was reading this part at first i already figured you were trolling but it looks like you already kinda admit it yourself, so ok thanks

today, i learned something

''remember usmash as pretty amazing range but just remember not to use it!''
I meant be smart about using upsmash and Zss's grab time i didn't realise it was so slow. (although it feels like the hitboxs comes out way faster but if it doesn't it doesn't i haven't looked at frame date) still it stays out way to long which makes it amazing,i've not looked at the frame data but i'd say she has one of the best grabs in the game because of how long the hitbox lingers. as for hiding behind the bomb i really don't advise it at all it's an option since for some reason people are complain about zss's dash but that really is one of the last things you need to worry about while it's fast if you are spacing well it'll never be something you have to worry about. Although you can do it every now and again for a few seconds if you really feel presured

"eah zss will definitely start abusing her neutral b once you're in your shield, because thats exactly how its going to hit, right? you're describing a situation in here in which the link player would have already made a mistake, but you should post things here what people can do to prevent these mistakes rather than what to do in a situation after having made the mistake. in short; though it should be quite obvious, you should never stay in shield for too long against zss."

I'm saying why you shouldn't stay in shield they will try to force you to like i said you need to keep moving around and not let her dictate the pressure

"seriously the next time a scrub comes in here and says zss's grab is fast im quitting these boards. you're all making me cry"

i'm happy to play anyone who thinks i'm just some scrub tbh. I've very confident in my Smash 4 Link this time around.

and yeah i know it's better to be below everyone simply but I was reading on here people trying to jump above her and thorw a bomb down into..? footstool dair or whatever. it may be obvious but i thought it needed to be said.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I meant be smart about using upsmash and Zss's grab time i didn't realise it was so slow. (although it feels like the hitboxs comes out way faster but if it doesn't it doesn't i haven't looked at frame date) still it stays out way to long which makes it amazing,i've not looked at the frame data but i'd say she has one of the best grabs in the game because of how long the hitbox lingers. as for hiding behind the bomb i really don't advise it at all it's an option since for some reason people are complain about zss's dash but that really is one of the last things you need to worry about while it's fast if you are spacing well it'll never be something you have to worry about. Although you can do it every now and again for a few seconds if you really feel presured

"eah zss will definitely start abusing her neutral b once you're in your shield, because thats exactly how its going to hit, right? you're describing a situation in here in which the link player would have already made a mistake, but you should post things here what people can do to prevent these mistakes rather than what to do in a situation after having made the mistake. in short; though it should be quite obvious, you should never stay in shield for too long against zss."

I'm saying why you shouldn't stay in shield they will try to force you to like i said you need to keep moving around and not let her dictate the pressure

"seriously the next time a scrub comes in here and says zss's grab is fast im quitting these boards. you're all making me cry"

i'm happy to play anyone who thinks i'm just some scrub tbh. I've very confident in my Smash 4 Link this time around.

and yeah i know it's better to be below everyone simply but I was reading on here people trying to jump above her and thorw a bomb down into..? footstool dair or whatever. it may be obvious but i thought it needed to be said.
NNID is ancientsunlight I've played nearly anyone on the boards for some reason anyway, but people tend to indicate they aren't randoms with tournament results and tournament footage

I don't care man but when people come in with "ZSS grab is sooo fast" (which by now has happened 3 times) you're just espousing something plainly, evidently, wrong. It seems fast because of her mobility and dash speed

Last edited:

Mikeyxrage

Smash Rookie
NNID
MikeyRage
I already said i just looked at the frame date and realise it's slow, one of the slowest in the game, i'll still say its one of the best grabs in the game by far because of the lingering hitbox though. The point i was trying to make is that she has a good grab game either way. anyway ive added you now. i can play whenever.

my skype is Mikeyxrage if for some reason you need to contact me and my NNID is mikeyrage

NNID is ancientsunlight I've played nearly anyone on the boards for some reason anyway, but people tend to indicate they aren't randoms with tournament results and tournament footage

I don't care man but when people come in with "ZSS grab is sooo fast" (which by now has happened 3 times) you're just espousing something plainly, evidently, wrong. It seems fast because of her mobility and dash speed

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
User was warned for this post
I'm saying why you shouldn't stay in shield
no, you have no ****ing idea what you're saying. what you were saying was ''what to do'' after you had already stayed in your shield for too long, not why you shouldnt stay in it. the answer to the question ''why shouldnt you stay too long in your shield against zss?'' could easily be answered with ''you'll get punished hard''; thats all you really needed to say. instead, you came up with some shady story with ****ty examples about what 'might' happen if you do so. it doesnt only make you look ignorant, but also amateuristic.

im happy to prove to anyone that they're just some scrub, but i'll let df help me decide if you're worth my time.

you have actually been reading through this thread? are you trolling again?

I said it seems fast
no you didnt, you said it IS fast; theres a pretty big difference between fact and fiction. also another example of you having no idea what you're talking about. just stop trying.

Mikeyxrage

Smash Rookie
NNID
MikeyRage
One good thing I discovered against this matchup, is how often I succeeded doing the jump -> bomb -> footstool combo against her.

ZSS is too fast for Link, and your opponent will want to make use of this speed. When you'll take your bomb, ZSS will try the dash attack -> this is when you have to jump and down throw the bomb at her, then footstool and Dair. You'll make a good amount of damage. It helps a lot at the beginning of the match.

You could also try it near the edge, going for the spike.
I read that.

no, you have no ****ing idea what you're saying. what you were saying was ''what to do'' after you had already stayed in your shield for too long, not why you shouldnt stay in it. the answer to the question ''why shouldnt you stay too long in your shield against zss?'' could easily be answered with ''you'll get punished hard''; thats all you really needed to say. instead, you came up with some shady story with ****ty examples about what 'might' happen if you do so. it doesnt only make you look ignorant, but also amateuristic.

im happy to prove to anyone that they're just some scrub, but i'll let df help me decide if you're worth my time.

you have actually been reading through this thread? are you trolling again?

no you didnt, you said it IS fast; theres a pretty big difference between fact and fiction. also another example of you having no idea what you're talking about. just stop trying.

for one I was talking about my 2nd post I said the 2nd time i said it seemed fast not the first,(never mind it seemes i did not edit my 2nd post to be clear) i went back and reread the frame data i don't know where you got trolling from. and this thread is to help understand the match up. So a little explaining of how and why'd you'd get punished hard is bad because? if you attempt to shiled her B shes going to run at you and attempt to read you're already in a bad postion now. and no i wasn't saying what to do if you did stay in your shield i was explaining why you shouldn't. The whole point of the thread is explain so people understand the match up.

I was trying to help with some input but if it's not needed then thats fine.

Last edited:

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
So as far as I can tell, we haven't really found anything Link can do against ZSS other than "DI and pray." I'm reviving this because I almost lost to a mediocre ZSS in tournament the other day and there's no question that if I play Marss (our top PR player and considered by Nairo to be the #2 or #3 ZSS in the world) I will get absolutely trounced. So from people like Lawz and Catana who do appear to have high level MU experience, what can you do?

How can link best land? What's the best option when ZSS sets up camp and nairs/bairs your shield, both of which are incredibly safe (I believe she may even have a frame advantage on landing if you don't powershield). What is our best option to edgeguard her flip kick to tether recovery?

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
So as far as I can tell, we haven't really found anything Link can do against ZSS other than "DI and pray." I'm reviving this because I almost lost to a mediocre ZSS in tournament the other day and there's no question that if I play Marss (our top PR player and considered by Nairo to be the #2 or #3 ZSS in the world) I will get absolutely trounced. So from people like Lawz and Catana who do appear to have high level MU experience, what can you do?
Having a bomb in hand is imo the most reliable way to not get grabbed or get out of her uair combo. If you can see her dashing towards you, you can throw the bomb at her which will force her to shield and allow you to put a little bit of pressure on her instead of the other way around. If shes yolo and goes for the grab anyway, the bomb will hit her even if the grab does connect, allowing you to escape still.
Also dthrow is pretty rewarding on her, so try to read shields and anything that can get you a grab more specifically in this MU.

How can link best land?
Landing is troublesome for sure. There's not really a ''go-to'' move or thing you can do thats like always a good option, you have to decide based on the situation and what you think the ZSS isnt expecting, so mix things up.

What's the best option when ZSS sets up camp and nairs/bairs your shield, both of which are incredibly safe (I believe she may even have a frame advantage on landing if you don't powershield).
Yeah, its completely safe as long as you dont powershield it. If you powershield you can punish with jab or an upb, but it depends on the height at which she did the move, which also makes upb much riskier and I wouldnt recommend it too much unless you have to make something happen. I dont think its actually punishable on powershield at all if she does it close to the ground, in which case you're best off to just try to predict what she will do next, and act accordingly.
Then again, of course you dont actually want her close and its actually quite possible to wall her out by using bombs and rangs correctly. She relies on short hopping a lot which can be interrupted by angling your rang correctly and properly throwing bombs. Does require caution and a little bit of precision though.

What is our best option to edgeguard her flip kick to tether recovery?
Tether can be interrupted quite reliably sometimes with nair or bair, though going offstage as link is also risky so most of the time you're better off by just letting her grab the edge and then ledgetrap her. She actually does tend to have some trouble getting back onstage sometimes since we can cover a lot with bombs, her ledgehop options arent great and if she decides to ledgejump she'll put herself in a ****ty position because she also has some trouble landing herself. That kinda only leaves roll and normal getup, but roll speaks for itself, and grab/ftilt/jab can be decent for punishing normal getup, though I'd recommend ftilt the most due to it being pretty safe overall, having a pretty long-lasting hitbox and good knockback.

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Options Out of Shield for ZSS MU:

For data on shields I used this document by LordWilliam1234 and looked at the advantage drop and advantage out of shield (I called the disadvantage drop and disadvantage out of shield so I don’t have to deal with negative numbers). I tested every move on shield to test if they pushed Link away or how well they could space and then tested what options we had that could still reach.

Link’s OOS:
Jump cancelled Up-B- 8 frame start up

Jump cancelled U-Smash- 10 frame start up

Shield Grab- 10 frame start up (12 frame grab start up, 3 frame spot dodge start up for ZSS, keep in mind that the tether will take longer to grab if the opponent is further away)

Jab- 14 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 7 frame jab)

U-Tilt- 15 (7 frame shield drop, 8 frame start up)

D-Smash- 16 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 9 frame start up)

D-Tilt- 18 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 11 frame start up)

F-Tilt- 22 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 15 frame start up) Can take a few frames longer as F-Tilt has hitboxes can hit later depending on when the Master Sword connects.

F-Smash- 22 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 15 frame start up)

Dash Attack- 28 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 1 frame to start dash, 20 frame start up) Can take a few frames longer as F-Tilt has hitboxes can hit later depending on when the Master Sword connects.

Bomb throw- 8 frame start up (7 frames start up, 1 frame before blast)

Note on bombs: Bombs will connect even if enemy is right in your face. They come out faster than grab, but while both are active (tether and bomb moving through the air) tether moves faster than a bomb.

Some abbreviations (because I don’t want to write them out all the time):

DD: Disadvantage drop- this means how many frames Link has to punish ZSS after dropping shield first.

For example, Link has a jab with a 7 frame start up. If the DD of a move is 7 or more, Link can punish ZSS with this move.

DO: Disadvantage out of shield- this means how many frames Link has to punish ZSS using a direct OOS, like grab or jump cancelled moves.

For example, Up-B OOS has an 8 frame start-up, so if the DO is 8 or more, than Up-B OOS will punish.

I tested this in training mode 1/4 speed hold L, so these are frame perfect, keep that in mind when deciding what you want to use for your punish. I list all possible punishes considering good spacing and the fact that some moves push Link away, making some options that are fast enough not an option, I will point these out as they come.

If I state something as “perfect spacing” I mean ZSS hitting the edge of shield, meaning he would have whiffed entirely if Link was not shielding.
"Good spacing" means ZSS would barely hit Link if Link was not shielding.
"Bad spacing" means ZSS and Link are very close together.

Next are ZSS’ moves:

All spacings refer to if Jab 1 hits shield first.
Jab (1): DD: 10, DO: 17
At perfect spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, and DSmash will punish.
At good spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, and DSmash will punish.
At bad spacing Grab, Up B, Jab, DSmash, U-Smash, UTilt, and Bomb will punish.
Jab (2): DD: 14, DO: 21
At perfect spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, DTilt, and DSmash will punish.
At good and bad spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, DTilt, UTilt, USmash, and DSmash will punish.
If timed right, Bomb and UP-B can beat Jab 2 from coming out.
Jab (3): DD: 18, DO: 25
At perfect spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, DTilt, and DSmash will punish.
At good and bad spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, UTilt, USmash, FTilt, FSmash, DTilt and DSmash can punish.If ZSS is right next to Link when beginning Jab 1, she can cross up and end up behind Link at the end of Jab 3.
If timed right, Bomb and Up-B can trade with Jab 3 if inputted after Jab 2 on shield.

F-Tilt: DD: 9 DO: 16
At perfect spacing only Grab will punish.
At good spacing Grab, Bomb, and DSmash can punish.
At bad spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, DSmash, U-Smash and U-Tilt will punish.

D-Tilt: DD: 14 DO: 21
At perfect spacing Grab, DTilt, and DSmash will punish. Jab can phantom hit and Bomb will fly over her.
At good spacing Grab, DTilt, Jab, Up-B, and DSmash will punish. (The first hit of Up-B will go above her, but the second hit will connect before she can shield.)
At bad spacing Grab, DTilt, Jab, Up-B, UTilt, USmash, and DSmash will punish.

U-Tilt: DD: 23 DO: 30
At perfect spacing Grab, Bomb, Up-B, D-Smash, DTilt, FTilt, FSmash, DA, and Jab will punish.
At bad spacing Grab, Bomb, Up-B, D-Smash, DTilt, FTilt, FSmash, DA, UTilt, USmash, and Jab will punish.

Dash Attack: DD: 31/30 DO: 38/37 (Early Hit/ Late Hit)
Anything can punish depending on the spacing.
ZSS DA1.PNG

ZSS will end up right in front of Link.
ZSS DA2.PNG

F-Smash: DD: 20 DO: 27
At perfect spacing (only 2nd hit connects) Grab, Bomb, DSmash, and FSmash will connect.
At good spacing Grab, Bomb, DSmash, FSmash, and walkup Jab will connect.
At bad spacing Grab, Bomb, DSmash, DTilt, FSmash, FTilt, UTilt, USmash, Up-B, and Jab will connect.

D-Smash: DD: 7 DO: 14
At perfect spacing Grab can punish.
At good spacing Grab and Bomb can punish.
At bad spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, and USmash will punish.

Up-Smash: DD: 27 DO: 34
At any spacing Grab, Bomb, FTilt, FSmash, DA, DTilt, DSmash, Up-B, UTilt, and USmash will punish. (At perfect and good spacing UTilt and USmash will require one to walk up first).

Aerials: This is tricky. Aerials will vary because of when they hit the shield (on top, the middle, etc.), sweetspot or sourspot, autocancelling, or if the opponent screws up or not. I will just place the DD and DO as well as landing lag and auto-cancels at the end of moves. (Note: If auto cancelled, ZSS suffers only 4 frames of landing lag.)

Nair: DD: -3 DO: 4 Landing lag: 10 Auto-cancel: 1-3, 42>
Nothing will punish.

Fair: DD: 5/3 DO: 12/10 (Hit 1/ Hit 2) Landing Lag: 16 Auto-cancel: 1-3, 38>
Grab, Bomb, U-Smash, and Up-B may punish.

Bair: DD: -4 DO: 3 Landing lag: 11 Auto-cancel: 1-3, 31>
Nothing will punish.

Dair: DD: 17 DO: 24 Landing lag: 30 Auto-cancel: 1-3, 50>
Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, U-Tilt, DTilt, DSmash, FTilt, FSmash and U-Smash may punish.

Upair: DD: -3 DO: 4 Landing Lag: 9 Auto-Cancel: 25>
Nothing will punish.

Upair: DD: -2 DO: 5 Landing Lag: 8
Nothing will punish.

Specials

Paralyzer: DD: 15/14 DO:22/21 (No charge/ Max Charge)
Depends on spacing, but Grab, Bomb, Up-B, USmash, UTilt, DTilt, DSmash, Jab, and FSmash can punish.

Plasma Whip: DD: 13 DO:20
Depends on spacing, but Grab, Bomb, Up-B, USmash, UTilt, DTilt, DSmash, and Jab can punish.

Flip Jump: No Data Given
With or without the kick, FH to any aerial or Up-B can punish. The trick is knowing where ZSS will go and following her.

Boost Kick: No Data Given
Sets ZSS in free fall, anything can punish.

Top Bottom