• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU- Sonic

YashiWins

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4650-5745-8993
Greetings brothers and sisters of the Yoshi Army:

This is my first post on SB, and I'm happy to be part of the community. I had a nice round of matches against a Sonic in arena and he gave me a sound whooping with his Side-B (the roll attack) into air combos until I was able to take a breathe and change up tactics. Here are a few tactics that gave me some space:

1. Our new up-B thrown close up so that it rolls on the floor. This move was able to cancel Sonic's Side-B every time. Although it didn't hurt him, it stopped him completely in his tracks. It's amazing how useful this move can be, as it basically gives us a completely horizontal projectile when we need it.
2. After some tinkering, it also seems we can grab and command grab (neutral B) when sonic is rolling at us with various attacks. After doing the above two several times, Sonic's game completely changed and I was able to take two sets.

I know this may be old news for some, but I thought it would be nice if anyone else had trouble with this match-up. Does anyone else have insights on how to beat sonic?

Sharky

Smash Master
His burst range (how far he can come at you from before you can reasonably react) is pretty big due to his speed. Learn that spacing and try to occupy parts of the stage that don't let him set that up on you, either outside of it to egg him, or close enough that you are able to put your own pressure on him. I would prefer the latter personally, it gives him less options.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Has Sonic been "nerfed" compared to Smash 4? In Smash 4, Sonic could be grabbed somewhat easily if the timing was right, but I don't know about Ultimate.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
First step to beating Sonic, from my experience, would be to actually find one instead of running into K. Rool every other dang match.

I haven't ran into much of any of the previous game's top/high tiers at all. Just a ton of crocs, the occasional squid, and the triangle holder of strength and being a woman-snatching douche.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Has Sonic been "nerfed" compared to Smash 4? In Smash 4, Sonic could be grabbed somewhat easily if the timing was right, but I don't know about Ultimate.
Not only was one of Sonic's good aerials nerfed (up air) he got a pretty efficient weight nerf (94 to 86) which makes us able to kill him even earlier than before while Sonic is unable to get sneaky kills with Uair as well.

For now that's all I know bout Sonic based off word of mouth, haven't faced the local Sonic's here to have a full explanation already a week into the game but feel like the Weight Nerf, Uair, and what was previously mentioned about bouncing eggs being able to stuff sonic out sometimes is worth noting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom