• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Greninja

timothym98

Smash Rookie
Hey all – I'm new here. I noticed that there isn't a Greninja thread linked in the matchup index and as I've been having a bit of trouble with him recently, I thought I'd open a discussion on him. What's the best way to play the Greninja matchup, what are the biggest threats from him, and how can we counter those threats?

Superaaron14

Smash Rookie
Biggest threat is his run speed making hard to boomerang and just find space to pull bombs and such

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Breakdown of the Greninja MU:
> Strong nuetral:
- Uncharged Water Shurikens
- Good ground and aerial mobility
- Low stature and crawl, makes Zair harder to land and allows Dtilt to be a moving threat
> Good combo potential:
- Dtilt, Utilt, Nair, Uair, Dair all are combo starters
- Up throw is main combo throw, Up throw -> Falling Uair -> First 2 hits Bair lock
- Dair -> Footstool -> Shuriken stall -> repeat/Bair lock
> Good kill power:
- Dtilt confirms into Usmash, Fair
- Usmash sweetspot and covers large area
- Fair has good range and power
> Other:
- Shadow Sneak can be used to escape for combos or multihit moves
- Shadow Sneak can also influence ban on FD because it's difficulty to see
- Fully charged Water Shuriken does not clank with Link's projectiles
- Hydro pump can gimp easily if Link is not careful
> Weaknesses:
- Standing grab is extremely slow (f14?)
- Fast faller

Overall, Greninja is similar to Fox and Sheik where Link will struggle win neutral and try to keep them out once they break his zone. Greninja simply framedatas Link, coupled with the fact that Link can be easily comboed by Greninja's bnb combos and footstool shenanigans, it's a pretty difficult MU, relying on Link to simply outplay Greninja.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Breakdown of the Greninja MU:
Overall, Greninja is similar to Fox and Sheik where Link will struggle win neutral and try to keep them out once they break his zone. Greninja simply framedatas Link, coupled with the fact that Link can be easily comboed by Greninja's bnb combos and footstool shenanigans, it's a pretty difficult MU, relying on Link to simply outplay Greninja.
no. greninja is in no way similar to fox and sheik as those MUs are much worse. also wtf ''greninja simply framedatas link''? you do realize that a lot of chars do this and if therefore this would be as relevant of an argument as you're making it seem, he'd be low-bottom tier.
if a MU relies on one player outplaying the other, then that means its in the advantage of the player that needs to be outplayed in order to lose. thats not the case here. this MU is even. Link can keep greninja out and play around shurikens, greninja's approach options are fairly lineair and therefore predictable. pivot ftilt is strong in this MU as it catches all his options fairly easily, besides that play a strong and calculated keepaway game and you'll give greninja trouble to get anything going. jab is strong for pretty much the same reason as well.
it may be slightly harder for link to live up to this, but keep in mind that the difficulity of a MU in no way implies in who's favor it is, because once again, if that were the case, link would be low-bottom tier.

Top Bottom