• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU discussion: SAMUS

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

How do we win?
What do we watch out for?
Stages to BAN/CP?
Tips/Tricks when fighting this character?
Videos?
MU classification?

Remember, we are not using the "mu ratio" scheme anymore. Describe the MU using the following MU classifications:

Heavy Disadvantage
Disadvantage
Slight Disadvantage
Even
Slight Advantage
Advantage
Heavy Advantage

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504

How do we win? Zair *****, Screw Attack OoS isn't as easily punished since Samus is slow and doesn't have any quick punishers besides Zair or CS. Pressuring with FF Uair and Fair is pretty decent, and we can combo pretty easy from below, due to her poor anti-aerial moves(from above), Dair has range, but lacks the priority it needs to be a good, spammable, offensive tactic. It's also somewhat laggy and predictable.

What do we watch out for? Zair, Missles(Especially at high %'s), Uair, and Utilt(on ledge hops).
Stages to BAN/CP? CP: BF, SV, Lylat, and possibly Delfino.
Ban: RC, FD, YI, and Japes.
Tips/Tricks when fighting this character? Use uncharged CS shots to disrupt Zair spam, Missiles deal with Missiles, FF all aerials up close, punish laggy moves with Dtilt to gain breathing room, and mix up with your recovery; Using tether or SA can get predictable, and spiked. Try to use Bomb Jumping, if applicable.

Videos? Can't really find anything up to date, unfortunately.
MU classification? Even
In quotes. Good stuff, Xyro.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm not really sure how to address the ditto since the same thing works from both sides of the MU. >.>
Yeah, it is, it's just how to address the MU factually, but it is mainly outplaying your opponent. Xyro's trying to go in depth to the Pros and Cons of this MU, to see what we can do to disrupt them, as well as what they can do to disrupt us.
Other than that, i don't think he would've made this thread.

Hive

Smash Lord
Everyone saying this matchup is 50-50 for samus just need to stop qqing and l2play. This is clearly at least 70-30 or 60-40 in samus' favor, you guys just don't know how to play the matchup yet...

jk its obviously even heh :D Zair and charge shots are among the most annoying things in this fight and its rare that anyone actually approaches each other since they both are trying to space out themselves soo much because they are usto regular fights where one person is trying to approach and they keep them out of melee range, we instinctively have a tendency to fall back and try to respace it out at the ledge or on stage where we have advantages. Obviously not the funnest fight or one that I think really allows a lot of complexity in her gameplay... but there are times where openings do happen and you have to be quick to capitalize on combo opportunites, etc... Offledge is another area where this matchup is really determined, and I find we have a lot of options at preventing our own recovery as well as recovering (especially vulnerable in bomb jump stages to spams), and so a lot of stuff can happen there especially with our floatiness. Samus also has some neat things she can do to prevent ledge spam, homing missiles, dash to utilt and low charge shots especially.

Throwback

Smash Lord
This MU is about zair for me. The person who controls position to zair has a huge advantage, typically translating to enough knockback to charge her laser - which shuts down zair from the opponent. Everything else stems from that dynamic, in my experience.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Samus dittos is an interesting MU.
Both players are going to try to camp and zone the hell out of you.
Imo, this is an intellectual battle.
If your opponent goes aggro, you should go defensive, but you don't have much to worry about because Samus won't be killing Samus for a long, long while, like not until 170's
Whichever Samus has a better balance of aggro to defensive tactics, knowing when to go which, will win this MU

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
Theoretically this should be posted in the video archives, but I suppose this is a fine place for it for now.

Especially since it's not like anyone here can move it <.<

Sago

Smash Lord
I have a lot of footage I will be posting in the next as well as 2 money matchs from a tourney I went too Saturday that are already up. I'll link that tonight and upload tomorrow.
I Lose both. Both go to 3rd game (zinoto diddy/seagullman wolf)

:phone:

Top Bottom