• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mrs.pac man

Baddest bih

Smash Cadet
Is there a reason to why mrs.pacman isn’t an alternative skin to pac man. PAC man skins are already basic asf and she is pretty popular itself. This game also needs more female fighters

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
I'd say due to how similar how their designs are already, it wouldn't be really worth it to devote development time to

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
3rd party character. Nintendo would have probably needed to shell out whatever they shelled out to get Pac Man in the first place, to get another IP that's fairly identical outside of outward appearance. Probably not worth it for a palette swap.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
First, it's Ms. Pac-Man. Not Mrs. She's her own woman.

Second, it's a good question. I imagine there must be some rights thing going on because she wasn't even a trophy in SSB4 or a spirit in Ultimate, even though she's on the Pac-Land stage.

GhostM

Phantom
One reason is probably because they’re just identical, and they would have the same move set. Second is that Nintendo doesn’t own mrs. Pac-Man, meaning that they would have to obtain rights from the original creators for her to be in the game. She wasn’t included in Smash 4 either, so I doubt they would ever add her, as she is on the pac land stage.

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
She would've been a fantastic Echo Fighter as far as I'm concerned, with the only change necessary being changing up some of her Bonus Fruit. Having a pretzel with a different trajectory than the Galaxian, a pear with a different angle than the melon, and a replacement for the key would all make her play pretty differently while sharing the majority of her moveset with Pac-Man.

Given that she's not even a Spirit in the game (she could've easily just been represented by a Pac-Man Spirit Battle...), let alone a costume, there are really only a couple of explanations for why she isn't in at all:

1. Bandai Namco didn't want her in, due to her strange circumstances originating as a Western bootleg. They've been pretty accommodating of her in the past, though.

2. Smash was focused on other areas and/or didn't want to shell out the money for another gaming icon.

3. She's in the Fighters Pass as a unique character with Pac-Maze returning.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The same question could be asked about lots of alternate costumes or echoes. The mizz isn't any more special than any of them.

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
Eh, I'd argue that Ms. Pac-Man is almost as much of a gaming icon as he is himself, being almost as popular on top of being one of the first big playable female characters in any game. There are other characters who would make sense as Echoes or costumes I'm sure (and I'm not trying to trash the ones we did get), but Ms. Pac-Man is definitely a huge character that seems like she would've been easy to add in some capacity.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
I could see Ms. Pac-Man getting in as an Echo, if Nintendo decides to release an Echo Challenger Pack or something down the line. I share the same sentiments for most others in this thread as to why she probably hasn't gotten in yet; the hassle probably involved with getting the rights to her (don't forget Pac-Man has some of the worst alts in the game for a reason), and I'll also add that she probably has somewhat of a niche appeal, compared to the Dot Muncher himself. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to her being an Echo, because if they gave her enough small differences, she could be a fun character.

Change up the properties of Bonus Fruit (use a couple of the unique ones from her game? Pretzel, Pear, Banana, etc), Power Pellet could have less damage/armor frames but maybe a longer trail and more fluid control over its direction, Pac-Jump could have a bigger above hitbox/more damage at the cost of some height, and Hydrant could take less damage to send flying and deal less damage on contact but have a stronger water pushback and deal stronger knockback? This is all just stuff I came up with off the top of my head, but there's potential if Nintendo ever did want to bother Bandai Namco enough to get the rights to Ms. Pac-Man for an Echo. If we do get a bunch of Echos post-launch though, I feel like a Ms. Pac-Man echo would be low on Nintendo's priority list for the reasons listed above. Still, not an impossibility.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Ms. isn't unique enough for an echo. The absolute most she could reasonably get is a costume.

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
Ms. isn't unique enough for an echo. The absolute most she could reasonably get is a costume.
Even ignoring Daisy/Dark Samus/Richter, that's not really true. She could easily get a different set of Bonus Fruit, which would be a change on the level of Chrom to Pac-Man's playstyle. She wouldn't even need more changes to the rest of her moveset to feel different.

Unless you're saying that she's not visually distinct enough from Pac-Man, in which case Marth, Lucina, and pretty much all of Pac-Man's costumes can already be harder to tell apart on the battlefield, so I don't see that as a reason to avoid a gaming icon.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Ms. Pac-Man is in the middle of some rights kerfuffle ever since Bandi bought Namco and Warner Bros bought what was left of Midway.

I think it's also the reason why Smash pretends Pac-Land is remembered by anyone.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think Ms. Pac-Man is in the middle of some rights kerfuffle ever since Bandi bought Namco and Warner Bros bought what was left of Midway.

I think it's also the reason why Smash pretends Pac-Land is remembered by anyone.
What, are you saying there are rights issues around Pac-Man World?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I support Ms. Pac-man while everyone is thinking of alt costume or echo I think the pac-man world moveset could work too
Would AtGames be problem regarding including Ms. Pac-man or just the original game code of that game?
Ms. Pac-man does appear in the pac land stage so I am wondering if the copyright problem is just the original game coding of Ms. Pac-man or Ms. Pac-man as a character appearance

Last edited:

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Would love to see Ms. Pacman in smash. She has different fruit. That alone is enough to make her an echo.

Top Bottom