• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
G&W amiibo should be sold separately eventually, I wanted one in the box by himself. No word on it officially however.

Against D3, I feel like theres not a whole lot going for us. You definitely want to get a solid start in, i'm sure we can 0-40/50 him before he hits the ground. But the other side of this is D3 is super hard to kill if you don't hit during the TOOT TOOT window.

I prefer big, open stages, because Gordos are pretty easy to reflect in open scenarios. I smash slow gordos and bacon fast ones. Messing with how fast you reflect them really mindgames them on the return. (for anyone who didn't know, the gordo will AIM for d3 on the hit-back.)

I don't try to follow up mid-air strings all that much either, because D3's aerials will outrange ours, so I try to bait a bad landing with bacon and punish accordingly.

Also, definitely go for stage spikes. D3 has those super armor frames, but if you can catch him fast enough a lot of D3 mains aren't used to teching during recoveries.
IIRC the Gordos don't aim for Dedede, it just reverses the horizontal momentum which means it'll usually hit him. But yeah, we juggle him pretty well and Chef is hilarious for trapping his landings. His defensive game is strong but be patient and you can rack on some heavy damage; his slow attacks make it hard for him to retaliate. I wouldn't go for DAir often (not that you should against most characters); his UAir beats it cleanly.

His FTilt is transcendent for some reason.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
I hate heavy match-ups like 3d and DK i always have a hard time killing them and once they are in rage i die at like 70 to something stupid even though I out play them the entire game. Bacon destroys gordos though it's our beat tool against them

Folie

Smash Apprentice
time out is also a p viable option against D3 if you want to be that kind of person like me at my city's weekly tonight, he doesn't really have a good way to approach us and getting a percent lead shouldn't be hard

shapular

Smash Ace
Can someone give me an overview of how G&W is played differently in this game than in Brawl? I'm thinking of bringing this guy back out.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys, little announcement for everyone:

I may be hosting a tournament soon, and I'd like it if my friends here on SmashBoards would be in it. I'm still deciding when I should do it, and what the rules will be. But it will require a password to get in, so I'll be posting that for you guys when/if I decide to do it. Besides, I know most of my friends on SmashBoards would beat me, but I need the practice. Just wanted to let you guys know.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
Can someone give me an overview of how G&W is played differently in this game than in Brawl? I'm thinking of bringing this guy back out.
I can't go into detail bc I never played brawl but from what I gather, brawl g&w and sm4sh g&w are VERY different. People who mained brawl g&w seem to mostly not like sm4sh g&w at all

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I can't go into detail bc I never played brawl but from what I gather, brawl g&w and sm4sh g&w are VERY different. People who mained brawl g&w seem to mostly not like sm4sh g&w at all
Guess I'm one of the exceptions. No matter how bad the character is on a tier list, if I want to play as/main a character, I'll do it regardless of what some tier list says.

Furret24

Smash Master
Game and Watch plays a lot more defensively in this game. You'll generally use D-Throw combos, tilts, and his Neutral, Forward, and Back aerials to rack up damage. It is very hard for Game and Watch to kill in this game. Unless you get a hard read with up smash or get lucky with a down smash, you kills will primarily consist of Forward and Down Tilt at 140% or an off-stage Forward Air at 150%.

Off-Stage is a lot more important too. String Forward and Back Airs and gimping with Chef are vital to certain match-ups and kills.

This is just a bit though. We should really make a guide or a page about how he plays so drastically different from Brawl.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Alright guys, just an update on that tournament. I've confirmed that it will be on either Wednesday or Saturday, from 7:00pm to 8:30pm EST time, and will be points based. That's all. Sorry if both of those times are inconvenient for anyone. But I'm still not sure which day it will be, so look for that announcement soon. :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Tournament update:

Turns out I'll have to host it on Saturday. So, all that I've confirmed thus far is Saturday from 7pm to 8:30pm EST time, and it's going to be points based. Custom characters will probably not be available.

The only two things I still need to do is come up with the password for it, and figure out if items will be allowed (the update on items will come in a few days, password on day of tournament, probably an hour or less before it begins). I understand a large part of the competitive community hates items, but I don't mind certain items. Basically, I'll decide whether or not they'll be on, and if they are, certain OP/useless/irritating items will be turned off. :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Tournament update:

Only item that will be on is the Smash Ball, but it will be on medium or low for how often it pops up. Also, forgot to mention, but it is 3 stock.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I say the main difference with G&W in brawl and G&W in smash 4 is that in smash 4 you have to play more defensively as Furret24 has said and also more "grounded" so to speak. I feel G&W in brawl was better in the air with his amazing B-air being a good spacing option along with his amazing F-air, N-air, and D-air. Seriously every one of his aerials in brawl had a use and were amazingly safe for the most part, in smash 4...not so much.

In smash 4 his aerials simply are not as good as they were in brawl. They are not bad per say (B-air is still good just not as safe) but rather situational and can't just be thrown out. In smash 4 you will be playing G&W on the ground more then in the air. His dash attack is much better in this game then in brawl and is good for getting strings. His D-grab is also amazing for starting up combos. I would say his biggest improvement on the ground is definitely his jab which is really good in this game. You can jab cancel into grab and the jab is also more reliable then it was in brawl due to the finisher.

His F-tilt and D-tilt (not as good as brawl but can kill earlier now due to patch) are also still good for G&W as well as his amazing U-smash. As with Furret24 has said his edge-guarding is amazing and his aerials really come into play off-stage. F-air, B-air, D-air and even chef are amazing edge-guarding tools. I just feel G&W's major problem is landing the kill and his poor weight getting him killed very early. He just isn't as strong as he was in brawl nor can he really approach as well due to B-air not being as safe as it was in brawl. He simply struggles to get close and isn't as strong.

With all that being said G&W is still a very good character. Just don't expect him to play as he did in brawl like I did. You just have to get used to his new play-style of running in, getting hits, retreating while playing it safe. Be defensive and wait for the opponent to approach you. Look for the opportunities when your opponent messes up and punish accordingly. I apologize for the wall of text and I hope this helps you out.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
His jab must hate me then. It was much better for me in Brawl than now.

Last edited:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. How do you set up into an up air KO?
Usually how I set up a U-air kill is through D-grab->U-air. When you D-grab the opponent and they are flung into the air at high percentages try to bait an air dodge out of them and then go for the U-air. Since they air-dodge the first hit they will get hit by the second hit of the U-air usually KO'ing them. If you are at low percentages you can actually connect both of the hits of U-air. I suggest practicing it since it is pretty tricky landing U-air due to the fact it has a wind-box making the opponent fly up instead. It takes some time getting used to it but with enough practice you will be able to consistently connect the combo. Hope this helps!

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
His jab must hate me then. It was much better for me in Brawl than now.
Wait really? For me it was the opposite in brawl. Every time I would use jab on someone they would always manage to get out or simply grab me out of the move. In smash 4 I found it to be much more consistent.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I can't get the finisher to work too well, same with Mewtwo's jab. It serves it's purpose, but sometimes the opponent gets out of it and I'm just left sitting there trying to get out of the jab...

shapular

Smash Ace
Wait really? For me it was the opposite in brawl. Every time I would use jab on someone they would always manage to get out or simply grab me out of the move. In smash 4 I found it to be much more consistent.
Me too. I only ever really used it for jab resets after a missed tech from dthrow.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I can't get the finisher to work too well, same with Mewtwo's jab. It serves it's purpose, but sometimes the opponent gets out of it and I'm just left sitting there trying to get out of the jab...
I'll admit I am not a fan of Mewtwo's jab at all. I think it is one of the worst jabs imo. It's so easy to get out of and the finisher never connects well so I agree with you on that. I still like Mewtwo though.

Furret24

Smash Master
This has probably been one of the busiest weeks on this thread in a long time.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya, Mewtwo is a good character, but his jab is pretty bad. I mean, it's probably better to do a dashing grab or side smash at that range instead of a jab.

I think G&W's is better, if only by a small margin. But I don't go for a jab with either of them too often. And with G&W, at least it's easy to get out of the first pump. I might accidentally do one pump, then get out of the jab. But if you get into the rapid pump part, then you're screwed till you get the finisher off (or somehow get out of it in another way).

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
OMG i found that if they get out of your jab before the finisher you can hold it forever just pumping bug spray it's soo funny just sitting there jabbing haha also ive been able to jab cancel 4 it 5 times in a row when my opponent has bad reactions and get good damage of it, jab....jab..... Jab....... Jab and each jab does 3% then grab into whatever they can easily get out of it though

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just a reminder to everyone that my tournament will be today at 7pm EST, and ending at 8:30pm EST.

It will be points based.
Matches are 3 stocks, time limit will be at it's max (10 minutes, though I'd rather there not be a limit)
Custom characters will not be available.
Mii Fighters will be available.
If you're somehow able to do it, you can play up to 30 matches within the tourney time limit.
Only item on will be the Smash Ball, on either medium or low rate.

Password for tournament and tournament ID # will be up sometime between 6pm EST and 7pm EST.

I look forward to facing off with everyone later today!!!

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Tournament is up! (All info. below is accurate, type the stuff exactly as it says)

Password: RnW5585

Tourney ID #: 45513793354453

Tourney Name: RnWs 1st Tourney

Good luck to everyone!!!

Oh ya, use your SB account name as your tag in battles so we can get to know everyone!!!

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So my cousin and I do FG dubs whenever he comes over (about once a week) and I would pull out G&W every now and then to fight the likes of Ness, Mario or Samus usually just to try and get cheese kills with the Bucket and 9. I then tried him against D3 since we kept finding them and Chef seemed like a good answer to gordo spam and D3 in general and it worked quite well. Rng was also on my side since I got like 4 kills with 9s that night.

Anyways, after that, I decided to actually consider picking up G&W since mine was so bad and I usually held my cousin and I back more than anything whenever I picked him and from what I've seen and read I've got a few things understood. Dthrow is an amazing combo throw for quite a while, jab is actually useful as is dash attack, up b is a nice gimping tool, combo extender/finisher and general answer towards aerial approaches, chef is an amusing projectile since it often causes shields to come up and can be a pain to get past both on stage and off stage. I really like the angle bair sends people and if they let go of shield to early they get hit by it.

I've also found that fighting ranged characters like Marth and Zard is a pain ;-;

Anyways, he's not going to be a main of mine by any means but I can say after about 3 dozen or so matches that I use G&W and was wondering if anyone on these boards could give any tips, pointers and or advice that could be useful for a new G&W user.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
By the way guys - I have performed a glitch with Chef twice now; Upon landing on the ground using the move, I continually slide forward slowly on the ground while using Chef. It has happened once playing in person (which we accidentally didn't save the replay), and once on FG (which I couldn't save due to too many replays).

Can anyone figure out how to replicate this? SLIDING CHEF TECH PLZ.

Furret24

Smash Master
By the way guys - I have performed a glitch with Chef twice now; Upon landing on the ground using the move, I continually slide forward slowly on the ground while using Chef. It has happened once playing in person (which we accidentally didn't save the replay), and once on FG (which I couldn't save due to too many replays).

Can anyone figure out how to replicate this? SLIDING CHEF TECH PLZ.
I tested this in training mode and can confirm it works, as I got it to happen twice. I don't know how to replicate it consistently sadly. If we do however, this may open up new techniques for Game and Watch.

Edit: I got it to happen again. It can be noticed due to him staying in his aerial Chef pose. After landing, he slides forward a little, then stops.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I couldn't find a Q&A thread so I'll ask here. How should G&W intercept Marth offstage? It seems like Marth can bat him away or go low and upB to beat G&W's options.
Can Greninja's water shurikins be bucketed?

Thanks.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
No, Water Shuriuken can't be bucketed as far as I know.

Last edited:

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
I would take caution against marth Off stage his up b is very fast and can stage spike you very early what I try to do is jump down toward him and wait for him to air dodge, then throw out the fair
Another way is to use chef because the frying pan semi spikes
Also if you use bair you can fast fall and push toward them so they fall out of the bair which also semi spikes making it impossible for most people to recover

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I have an engineering class and got an opportunity to make a 3D printed model, so I made this as a gift for my brother.

Furret24

Smash Master
So, a new update is coming out on September 30. Any thoughts on it? Do you think Game and Watch will get the buffs he needs? Can't wait for the Mario Maker stage?

I'm just trying to get people to say something here, OK?

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
So, a new update is coming out on September 30. Any thoughts on it? Do you think Game and Watch will get the buffs he needs? Can't wait for the Mario Maker stage?

I'm just trying to get people to say something here, OK?
I hope so! My ideal buffs,
Larger hit box behind up smash
Larger Sweet spot down smash
Less ending lag on down air and fair
Up throw buff to combo on fast fallers(up throw to up air)

What do u guys think?

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478

What do u guys think?
Old uptilt.
Up air please link reliably. I should be rewarded for getting the first hit.
Dash Attack eventually kills (basically either more horizontal or vertical knock back adjustment)
Full body up smash invincibility. It's slow anyways. Or make it stronger so that people actually can fear it and not shrug it off.
Give back the lingering fsmash and 95% of the hit box the sweetspot. Needs to be strong, not another laughing matter and should kill at respectable percentages.

TL; DR - A decent read should end a stock, NOT make the match last another 15 years. Especially on the 2nd/3rd lightest character of the game.

Furret24

Smash Master

What do u guys think?
Personally...

-Up Smash either gets more invincibility or kills as early as Lucas' Up Smash again. If it's going to be so slow, Atleast make it scary. Give it back it's lingering hitboxes too.
-Make forward Smash's sweetspot like how it is in Brawl and give it back it's lingering hitbox.
-Make Down Smash's sweetspot bigger and slightly stronger. Make it's sourspot kill at 140% again so it's worth something.
-Old Up Tilt.
-Bring old Forward Air back.
-Give Up Air's first hit set knockback so it always lead into the second hit. Or Atleast make it connect better.
-Back Air does more damage.
-Down Air has kill power before and can be snowballed (aka. Brawl Down Air).
-Dash Attack now has actual kill power.
-A bit of a nitpick, but give Back Throw kill power.

I hope I'm not too demanding here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom