• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

Furret24

Smash Master
Yes- thanks! I've been under the assumption it was of his better moves but after watching GimR I wasnt sure if I was missing something.
On a sidenote, could you link me to the battle in question? I'd like to see it for myself.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations to Regi for getting Top 32 at EVO!
More people might give credit to Game&Watch now.
I think his match vs Dabuz could have been much better, and didn't seem to know the MU, but still.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
I guess that further proves that G&W still needs a couple more buffs.

I'm so glad he got top 32. I wasn't even expecting it at all!

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I guess that further proves that G&W still needs a couple more buffs.

I'm so glad he got top 32. I wasn't even expecting it at all!
Isn't that rather a proof that Mr.Game&Watch has potential? I mean, every character has its bad matchups.
I mean, i wouldn't be against a buff of Mr.Game&Watch, but i'd rather see a nerf of RosaLuma, knowing how she neutralizes a lot of characters in the metagame, and i think she's quite an unhealthy character for the metagame, even moreso than Sheik

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Congratulations to Regi for getting Top 32 at EVO!
More people might give credit to Game&Watch now.
I think his match vs Dabuz could have been much better, and didn't seem to know the MU, but still.
Wow glad to hear that :4gaw: made it that far! He definitely has potential to get better!

I miss EVO this year, is there any link to the G&W matches?
I am also curious as well. I want to see how the matches went.

Last edited:

Regi_King

Smash Rookie
NNID
RegiShikimi
Thank you guys for the support.

Something fast about my match against Dabuz, I know, in paper, how the matchup goes, the part that threw me off is that Luma's jabs are just too strong that most of G&W hits either break at Luma's jabs or just cancel each other (which is why I had a hard time taking care of Luma).

Another thing, I hope this shows you guys that in this game, if you want to be a great player with your character of choice, you CAN do it, of course, Sheik or Rosa will still be better characters but the others are not that behind to be seen as "useless".

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Something fast about my match against Dabuz, I know, in paper, how the matchup goes, the part that threw me off is that Luma's jabs are just too strong that most of G&W hits either break at Luma's jabs or just cancel each other (which is why I had a hard time taking care of Luma).

Another thing, I hope this shows you guys that in this game, if you want to be a great player with your character of choice, you CAN do it, of course, Sheik or Rosa will still be better characters but the others are not that behind to be seen as "useless".
Completely agree. The game's a lot more balanced this time around, and I see a large portion of the roster being viable in some way or another.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman

I believe your biggest mistake in this matchup were when Luma was out. Most of the times you went for aerials instead of trying to get a grab & get something going, you could also throw 1 or 2 UpBs as Dabuz was switching from platform to platform. Otherwise, your matches were really nice, congratulations again.

jsqrc

Smash Rookie
Trust me, you do want to use D-Tilt.
- It starts on frame 6, meaning it's one of his fastest moves.
- It's windbox gives him good coverage against projectiles as it can deflect certain ones with good timing.
- It's angle allows G&W to space opponents with it.
- It's one of his safest KO options, KOing Mario on FD around 130%-140%.

It's likely GimR's playstyle as to why he didn't use D-Tilt. Unless those matches you saw were before 1.0.8. D-Tilt was a lot weaker before 1.0.8. Hope this answers your question.
If I'm understanding the frame data correctly, dtilt hitbox is out for only 5 frames and then has to wait for the windbox to finish (8 frames after manhole hitbox is gone) before being able to move/attack. Apparently there's also more endlag to it as well... so sure it's good for mixups, but I wouldn't use it too often as it is definitely punishable on whiff.

And congrats Regi on top 13 @ EVO!

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
If I'm understanding the frame data correctly, dtilt hitbox is out for only 5 frames and then has to wait for the windbox to finish (8 frames after manhole hitbox is gone) before being able to move/attack. Apparently there's also more endlag to it as well... so sure it's good for mixups, but I wouldn't use it too often as it is definitely punishable on whiff.

And congrats Regi on top 13 @ EVO!
It is punishable if whiffed, but atleast it comes out fast, unlike like any of his smash attacks and it beats out both F-Tilt and U-Tilt by 4 frames. His only attack faster than D-Tilt outside of his specials is his Jab.

Yay for Regi on top 13 at EVO! Pretty big stuff there.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wait...I didn't say congrats?!?!?! Whoops, sorry.

Congrats Regi!!!

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
As a quick note, for Game & Watch representation we had Regi, GimR, and Smiley. Smiley unfortunately got double eliminated by Steeler in initial pools, while Regi obviously made it to top 13, losing to ESAM (which was apparently a close match) and Dabuz. Not sure what happened with GimR tbh.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys. Found a few interesting tidbits that might be worth our time. I've been playing some more G&W recently and I found (not sure if we knew this already) that his Up Smash beats Yoshi's Forward Air. Also (and this might just be crazy good luck), 5 out of the last 7 times I've tried it, I was able to get a 9 Hammer first thing after respawning from a KO. I don't think that's normal, but maybe it's something that's supposed to happen? I really don't know.

Last edited:

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. Found a few interesting tidbits that might be worth our time. I've been playing some more G&W recently and I found (not sure if we knew this already) that his Up Smash beats Yoshi's Forward Air. Also (and this might just be crazy good luck), 5 out of the last 7 times I've tried it, I was able to get a 9 Hammer first thing after respawning from a KO. I don't think that's normal, but maybe it's something that's supposed to happen? I really don't know.
1- Game&Watch's UpSmash has frames of invincibility, it is normal that it wins trades vs others moves.
2- Probably pure luck, but i'll lab on this further, to see if Judge is influenced by that criteria.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
1- Game&Watch's UpSmash has frames of invincibility, it is normal that it wins trades vs others moves.
2- Probably pure luck, but i'll lab on this further, to see if Judge is influenced by that criteria.
Ya, I knew that first part. I was just listing Yoshi's Forward Air as another one of those moves in case we didn't already know.

Two, ya it might just be really good luck, but if not it may be something we can use to our advantage, which is why I thought we should all be aware if it.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey guys, I discovered a super duper sweet hot tip that will change G&W's metagame forever...

You can auto-cancel 1 bacon in a full-hop.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Yeah, considering how they still have to react to that one piece of bacon. It can force shields sometimes.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I really want to make some Game & Watch stages on Stage Builder.

...Problem is, most of the G&W games either wouldn't make very good stages or would need background details to be recognizable.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I really want to make some Game & Watch stages on Stage Builder.

...Problem is, most of the G&W games either wouldn't make very good stages or would need background details to be recognizable.
Well, from certain standpoints, yes. I guess you could mix in a few G&W games rather than 1 to make it more interesting...

Furret24

Smash Master
Here's a nooby question for you all...

How do I add spoiler tabs in posts?
I'm being serious btw.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542

I'm being serious btw.
Not sure if there's a button for it so you'll have to do it manually.

Type [*spoiler]text[*/spoiler] without the *s. You can add a "=title" if you want to give your spoiler tag a title. Examples:

Hello!

How ya doin'

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

I'm being serious btw.
Not sure if there's a button for it so you'll have to do it manually.

Type [*spoiler]text[*/spoiler] without the *s. You can add a "=title" if you want to give your spoiler tag a title. Examples:

Hello!

How ya doin'
I think there is a button for it, just can't remember where. If there's not then just do what Kofu said.

Furret24

Smash Master
The Wolf Support thread already answered this for me, but thanks anyways. :grin:]

GamemasterTom

Smash Rookie
NNID
GM-Tom
Finally, i found one of the G&W matches from EVO:

EDIT: Zero made a video talking abouy G&W

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Finally, i found one of the G&W matches from EVO:

EDIT: Zero made a video talking abouy G&W

I started laughing when Zero said G&W could be a high-tier character.

I laughed even more when I went into the comments section of video.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
You know, I think that ZeRo has the right idea about Game & Watch, the only thing really missing from his analysis is his trouble left setting up safe, reliable kills. There's a lot going for the character, his skewed weight/kill power and poor neutral are the main weaknesses. Pikachu is probably one of his better higher-tier matchups, though, as we have the edge in range and airspeed and both characters have poor ways to safely land kills.

But hey, glad our character made an impression on ZeRo.

Furret24

Smash Master
I think G&W is mid-tier material. He has some things going for him such as his great damage-racking aerials, an amazing D-Throw, and some of his moves have unique properties (ex. Partially invincible U-Smash). If he has a better neutral and more safe, reliable KO options, he just might be a viable choice in competitive play.

I'll still use him either way though.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I think G&W is mid-tier material. He has some things going for him such as his great damage-racking aerials, an amazing D-Throw, and some of his moves have unique properties (ex. Partially invincible U-Smash). If he has a better neutral and more safe, reliable KO options, he just might be a viable choice in competitive play.

I'll still use him either way though.
Sometimes, you're not that great in theory, but you just have every tool possible to make your matchups solid vs things above you, Game&Watch is one of these characters. He already has solid appeal as a secondary by virtue of nice positive matchups such as Marios or ZSS, but on his own, considering how rare heavyweights, it's harder matchups, are in competitive, he can also work, becauseall of his top/high tier matchups are do-able.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think it's common knowledge, but for those of us who didn't know, well, now you do.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Classic on Intensity 0.0 with G-dubs is hilarious.

You can KO opponents with Manhole's WINDBOX there.

Top Bottom