• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^Naw those are valid observations imo.

I feel like extreme judge can do work though, if you just replace all your dthrow followups with judge. Sorta like an all or nothing sorta deal.

My plan for villager was to absorb the pushy lloid explosion (that's the one my city's villager uses) and focusing on midscreen punishing him with it. then I can use extreme judge to rage myself up and ohko him from across the stage with the long distance bucket, but I never really got to try it out.

But it's just something I wanted to test, doesn't really matter I guess but i still believe it's worth having AT LEAST one extreme judge.

Just got back from Sandstorm. Fun tourney, not really happy about my results performance wise.. I had a good time though

I had Z (Vegas Pikachu) in my pool and I was so hype. Me and him have a little bit of a rivalry sorta deal but I have a lot of respect for him as a player. I won game 1, then he adapted really well game 2 and 3. Couldn't catch Pikachu. he was doing a really solid job at spacing himself right outside of my range, I couldn't land any significant punishes and just died really early a lot. Pivot fsmash =/

It was streamed so i'll post it when it gets uploaded if anyone wants to critique me

I got 3rd seed out of pools unfortunately. Dropped a handful of games because... well GW. I just died so early Would've still got second to Z but I dropped a match to a Ness player i don't usually lose to. Yeah I know, I just kinda played really sloppy and overconfident but I didn't think she'd beat me lol. My fault though, I should've played harder it wouldve helped on day 2 to have that better seed.

In bracket I went up against a vegas Sonic first. I was stressing about having to play Sonic, then playing the guy in the first round I was like: oh this guy isn't so bad. Won the first match. Second match vegas came to cheer him on, and reminded him to play more patient. He beat me, then i pretty much had no choice but to take him to delfino lol. I didn't really wanna fight sonic there but it was the only stage left that made sense after bans. I dunno... but yeah i got left behind by the stage at the start of second stock derp. he won the set

fought through losers a bit. Bodied our AZ sonic, ran through losers for a bit and then had to play Xero a vegas Rosalina (he used to main olimar in brawl)

it was hard, I tried but got 2-0'd. That matchup is super hard. He was using the Falco laser star bit

YOU CAN BUCKET THAT GUYS. I DON'T KNOW HOW STRONG IT IS BUT I FIGURED IT OUT TOO LATE.

in doubles I did better but I really wanted top 4, but there we're some hard teams. Me and Wafty got 5th. We had a rough time getting there though, every single set (except the ones we lost) we lost like the first round and had to win 2 in a row. I dunno, I was just really aggro and kept having to remind myself to play patient. I just really like going in. We lost to MVD and Z and Nairo and Ja3 (Ja3 is a member of my crew, SFA, who i recommended to nairo after his teammate bailed)

So no shame in losing to those guys but I really wanted it. Especially nairo and Ja3 second match was close after we made the proper adjusments to our play but Nairo= too broken.

Lost a money match to a Mii Brawler as my custom Ganon. Then double or nothing'd with GW and won. Also money matched MVD and got 3-0'd. the matches were good and super close though except for the 3rd where he JV 2 stock'd me.

17/160 something in singles, 5/50 something teams in doubles

I tried but probably putting GW on the backburner after this tourney. I wanna use custom Rosalina but I don't play lame enough. gonna iron out my Ness and hopefully go mostly him in tournament. I'm keeping GW for certain matchups and Doubles. The nerf hit harder than I thought, the up tilt thing actually lost me a lot of matches, It doesn't just make it harder to combo with but i had people slipping out of it all weekend and punishing me for it which made me weary of using it. I dunno why that was happening, it didn't happen before. =/

edit: oh snap also you guys should see my 1v2 vs MVD and Z i was doing some tight stuff

Last edited:

jsqrc

Smash Rookie
Um can someone tell me what mr. G&w best kill moves are ?
Upsmash, sweetspotted Fsmash (small hitbox now tho so it kinda sucks). Nothing much really you're best off trying to gimp them off stage with upb, bair, fair. If they don't know Upsmash has invincibility frames you can potentially get kills of them because they'll try to challenge it.

You could go for a dthrow into uair combo which kills relatively at like 80% but it has a small percentage window of working.

Last edited:

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Hadn't noticed the change to uair until I played a decent Mario earlier. I wasn't able to get a follow up hit on him when he was at 77% and upon landing I teched a grab before getting KOed by a side smash at 52%. I didn't win until I pulled out Duck Hunt. It might not even be the slight nerf that's the issue, I've just been in a rut with G&W lately and it seems like my moves are getting st

lllp3lll

Smash Apprentice
I've changed my opinion, of customs Extreme Judge is my weapon of choice.

The fact extreme 1 jab locks makes missed techs- either a reset or death

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
So after playing For Glory and then playing at a Smash event, I think it's safe to say Final Destination is one of Mr. Game & Watch's worst stages. I got dominated on For Glory, but at the Smash event I was able to play on stages like Battlefield, and I did very well. Anyone else think FD is a bad stage for G&W?

BBC7

Smash Ace
FD has a lower ceiling than Battlefield so your U-Smash kills earlier than it does on Battlefield's base, but I generally think FD is a weak choice for G&W when compared to Battlefield or Smashville. Battlefield has the platform thing going for it which can allow for some serious harassment with Up B, especially true if you run Heavy Trampoline like I do. There's also Nair and Uair shield poking which is definitely a good tool to have. The platforms also grant extra height for edgeguarding without having to waste a jump. Against large characters, you can still hit them while they're below you if you drop through the platform and Dair immediately.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I got one weird piece of tech if you can call it that. Run off the stage, B-Reverse your Chef, and the bacon will bounce off the edge. This is a funny edgeguarding option, not the most viable but it's something. I've also used it to stage-spike tether recoveries with the pan hit.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I got one weird piece of tech if you can call it that. Run off the stage, B-Reverse your Chef, and the bacon will bounce off the edge. This is a funny edgeguarding option, not the most viable but it's something. I've also used it to stage-spike tether recoveries with the pan hit.
I was just about to say, I unintentionally stage spiked someone today with the frying pan while attempting to gimp deep off the edge.

Last edited:

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
I'm starting to like sliding off the edge of the stage while hammering.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So, simple thing. U-throw is better than D-throw at 0% when you can do U-throw -> Up-B -> F-air some characters for quick damage. At 0% D-throw doesn't combo into anything except Jab usually, and just alone U-throw Up-B does 14%, which is about the same damage you'll get from D-throw Jab but safer and potentially gives you a followup.

Haven't seen anyone take advantage of this. This helps put people in the range where other D-throw followups start working more reliably.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
This thread hasn't sent me notifications!!! Why, SmashBoards?!?!

This message is just to post on this thread again so it will hopefully give me a notification next time.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
If you get a notification but don't check it (or if there was another page created since you were last on the thread and you don't go to that new page), it stops sending you new notifications until you do check it/go to the new page/post something in the thread.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If you get a notification but don't check it (or if there was another page created since you were last on the thread and you don't go to that new page), it stops sending you new notifications until you do check it/go to the new page/post something in the thread.
Musta been the new page bit, I never miss a notification.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
So I competed in a Smash tournament today playing exclusively as Mr. Game & Watch. Went better than expected. I won two rounds before being eliminated, and won both of those 2-0. I think G&W has some tournament viability, but I think he's definitely in the lower half of the tier list.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So I competed in a Smash tournament today playing exclusively as Mr. Game & Watch. Went better than expected. I won two rounds before being eliminated, and won both of those 2-0. I think G&W has some tournament viability, but I think he's definitely in the lower half of the tier list.
I see him as more of a middle tier actually, but take my opinion lightly. I hardly ever dive into competitive play, same with most of my friends I play online.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I see him as more of a middle tier actually, but take my opinion lightly. I hardly ever dive into competitive play, same with most of my friends I play online.
I believe maybe he is a little lower then middle. Though I will admit Mr. game and watch really grew on me in this game. I ended up hating him in the beginning but now I love using him. I think he has the potential to do well on tournaments.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I believe maybe he is a little lower then middle. Though I will admit Mr. game and watch really grew on me in this game. I ended up hating him in the beginning but now I love using him. I think he has the potential to do well on tournaments.
Hey, did you steal my old avatar?!?!?! You only get that temporarily, till I start using my old one again!!!

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Hey, did you steal my old avatar?!?!?! You only get that temporarily, till I start using my old one again!!!
Haha yeah I'm borrowing it for now :)
Don't worry I keep switching avatars these days so no worries!
Also I like the new avatar you got.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Haha yeah I'm borrowing it for now :)
Don't worry I keep switching avatars these days so no worries!
Also I like the new avatar you got.
Haha. I might not be switching back to that one anyways, but I'm not for sure. You can keep it for now.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
This should have been G&W's screen KO pose instead of the rather boring one he ended up getting:

Yatterman300

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yatterman300
New here. :) Hopefully I can contribute to the Game & Watch boards.
And people are looking for uses for Chef? It's actually quite useful vs slower and bigger characters. If you're fast enough you can combo off of the food hits also. Only problem is the food trajectory is random. Chef also has semi-spike properties.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
One thing I've noticed after playing several Captain Falcons is that I don't think the match-up is stacked. I don't know what the match-up is, but I think it would be something like 50/50 or 60/40, not 80/20.
New here. :) Hopefully I can contribute to the Game & Watch boards.
And people are looking for uses for Chef? It's actually quite useful vs slower and bigger characters. If you're fast enough you can combo off of the food hits also. Only problem is the food trajectory is random. Chef also has semi-spike properties.
There are some uses for Chef, but they're few and far between. I've tried using it to stop opponents from approaching me, but that usually doesn't end well as the trajectory is unreliable. Then again that could be because I'm using it against fast characters.

Here's a video showing Chef can be effective at edgeguarding:

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
One thing I've noticed after playing several Captain Falcons is that I don't think the match-up is stacked. I don't know what the match-up is, but I think it would be something like 50/50 or 60/40, not 80/20.

There are some uses for Chef, but they're few and far between. I've tried using it to stop opponents from approaching me, but that usually doesn't end well as the trajectory is unreliable. Then again that could be because I'm using it against fast characters.

Here's a video showing Chef can be effective at edgeguarding:
Yeah chef is definitely good for edgeguarding and I feel more people should use this for some mix-ups and mind games. Its also really good because not a lot of people expect it. When characters with poor recovery get hit with chef off stage they can never get back on stage due to being sent at an angle too low to recover.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah chef is definitely good for edgeguarding and I feel more people should use this for some mix-ups and mind games. Its also really good because not a lot of people expect it. When characters with poor recovery get hit with chef off stage they can never get back on stage due to being sent at an angle too low to recover.
*Cough*Little Mac*Cough*Doctor Mario*Cough*

Yatterman300

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yatterman300
I usually use Chef to cover ledge options. Pretty effeffective at a proper range. I also throw out about 2 at a time while retreating sometimes to make space. However, Sonic, Falcon, Mac, and other fast characters completely avoid and punish. I feel Bacon will only work and be effective against bigger and more slower characters. Bacon also can break you out of grabs sometimes when it hits them.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Anyone know how the game determines how many units of oil an attack gives when absorbed? I think it could be 3(x*2.5)<=20 per unit or something, but I could be wrong.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Finally unlocked Effecient Panic yesterday. Is it worth giving it to as custom G&W or should I leave it be?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I like it. And it's coming out in September, along with R.O.B.. I get a 2 in 1 deal from that.

Gamwa

Smash Rookie
NNID
rahunterb

Trying to get some decent G&W stuff into the Miiverse stage background, since most are stick figures or bad handwriting. I saw one of these already, so there can't be too many G&W things so far. I could flood it if I really wanted to.

Top Bottom