• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
New utilt has backward knockback and stops multihitting Mega Man after 56%.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I can't even complain. More knockback on utilt as a new potential KO option/usmash mixup? We could have been worse off... like Diddy. We're benefiting either way.
How bad did Diddy get hit?

jsqrc

Smash Rookie
Confirming utilt has been changed. Seems to send them backwards more and further. Doesn't seem like an amazing change because you can't combo as much anymore but it gives him a move with strong knockback?? Not sure what the kill percentage is but I don't think it was worth the change. Nothing else seems to be changed from my point of view. Hopefully I'm proven wrong with the datamining...

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Kills somewhere around 170... thats not a kill move. This is a solid nerf on something that didn't need it at all. Sakurai confirmed for total idiot. Especially if thats ALL we got...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Kills somewhere around 170... thats not a kill move. This is a solid nerf on something that didn't need it at all. Sakurai confirmed for total idiot. Especially if thats ALL we got...
Realistically, G&W's juggles are pretty polarizing. Though if he didn't get any buffs, then that sucks.

I'm more interested in comparing KO percents to the current version with what we have here:

http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8

Also I haven't updated my game yet, because I'm processing replays.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Say, correct me if I'm wrong, but did the windbox in Mr. G&W's D-Tilt do damage before this patch?

BBC7

Smash Ace
I'd like to believe that the new U-Tilt is not nerfed, it's just different. I think knocking them backwards would make for interesting setups. Interesting stuff I've found at low percents which is when you'd usually use U-Tilt anyways.

D-Throw -> U-Tilt -> D-Smash
D-Throw -> U-Tilt -> Judge
D-Throw -> U-Tilt -> F-Smash
D-Throw -> U-Tilt -> Up B 2 -> Fair
D-Throw -> U-Tilt -> Nair (still works, just different timing)
D-Throw -> U-Tilt -> U-Smash
D-Throw -> U-Tilt -> Re-Grab (a bit of delay)

Most of them require your opponent not jumping out, but a good G&W should be able to capitalize on a wasted jump anyways. I still prefer old U-Tilt but this ain't bad.

EDIT: More yummy stuff, D-Throw -> U-Tilt(3 hits) is guaranteed against certain characters, mainly heavyweights or fastfallers. Since it's only the second hit that knocks backwards, the opponent will be positioned for a regrab.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
^I have to try these on people when i'm able. I have a big tourney this weekend.

everyone check this out

:4gaw:
Mrgame:
DashAtk: 10 > 11
Ftilt: 10> 11
Dtilt: 6 > 5 Fsmash(flame) 18>20
Usmash 16>18 Nair 17>19
Fair 11>13
Uair 16>18
Dair 11>12
F/B/Uthrow 8>9
This was messaged to me on facebook this morning. I have to go to work like now but can anyone check if these are true? I played with him last night and didn't notice these changes. This is just damage not knockback apparently.

that's kinda annoying because racking damage was already the easy part about using the character but my hope is knockback was also changed. if you have an unupdated 3ds or something someone should test

BBC7

Smash Ace
^I have to try these on people when i'm able. I have a big tourney this weekend.

everyone check this out

This was messaged to me on facebook this morning. I have to go to work like now but can anyone check if these are true? I played with him last night and didn't notice these changes. This is just damage not knockback apparently.

that's kinda annoying because racking damage was already the easy part about using the character but my hope is knockback was also changed. if you have an unupdated 3ds or something someone should test
I wish it was true. Everything does the same amount of damage as it did before.

Neb

Smash Lord
I cannot, for the life of me, understand why they would feel the need to tweak utilt in such a way. What was the thinking behind that? Though if these damage boost are accurate - without affecting knockback - it would indeed make-up for a nerf to utilt comboing from our grab game.

If it did affect knockback - I'm doubting, since Smiley didn't seem to notice a difference - it could affect our string options. Having an usmash that does dang near 20% is notable considering how heavily it is used.

Edit: Is it possible to utilt > buffer turn around > utilt? Basically get the same outcome as pre-patch.

Last edited:

BBC7

Smash Ace
Wow, for a nerfed U-Tilt, I sure am finding interesting stuff. This is what I found against Falcon at 0%.

D-Throw -> U-Tilt(4 hits) -> Heavy Tramp -> Fair for 53% (guaranteed)
D-Throw -> U-Tilt(4 hits) -> Nair for 45% (guaranteed)
D-Throw -> U-Tilt(5 hits) for 35% (guaranteed)

^ I tried that, it seems to work. This is a major buff in disguise, people.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

everyone check this out

All of those are false, sadly.

As much as I wish they were true, Sakurai pretty much hates G&W. He went out of his way to kick a character that was already on the ground.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I'll be honest, one thing I'm not liking is the fact that Mario will occasionally only take 1 hit from D-Throw -> U-Tilt. Meh, I never used U-Tilt against that character anyways. This change actually seems very nice in my opinion,

Last edited:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Falcon is literally like, the worst example. We can juggle falcon all day, u-tilt or no. Give me a situation where it helps

EDIT: Does anyone have the ability to test frames or knockback? I would, but old guides don't tell me WHAT they're KOing and where they're KOing from, at least it doesn't appear to and no ones giving me a solid answer.

Last edited:

Neb

Smash Lord
Someone mind providing some footage of the new utilt? I don't have my console, and could use something for speculating new options.

jsqrc

Smash Rookie
Someone mind providing some footage of the new utilt? I don't have my console, and could use something for speculating new options.
starts from 0% if you're looking for footage like this

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
It's a weird change, but it's there. I could tell in training mode but in an actual match it was apparent.

Still sad no damage/knockback increases.

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
But also nothing for quite a few of the cast as well. This patch wasn't really anything at all, so at least that is that.

Until June I guess?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lol. The one change to G&W and it hardly affects me at all (hard to use tilts with Wiimote sideways). Is this the only major change from this patch for G&W?

Folie

Smash Apprentice
Lol. The one change to G&W and it hardly affects me at all (hard to use tilts with Wiimote sideways). Is this the only major change from this patch for G&W?
Yeah, the only one we've noticed anyways. There might be some others but we're gonna have to wait for patch notes to come out to confirm anything else it seems.

Keep2D

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keep2D
Randomly spreading the word
I've created a Mr. Game & Watch Skype Group appropriately named: "The Flatzone"
In this group, we discuss all things G&W related, MU discussions, G&W playstyles, and ask for some G&W ditto's, a certain MU that seems rather unexplored for obvious reasons.

So if you're interested, go ahead and check out the G&W Skype Group Thread and post your Skype, I will add you as soon as I can!

GMan1255

Smash Cadet
I may just be crazy, but does d-tilts windbox hit multiple times now. I am seeing it do 4% damage just from the windbox if you catch it in the center of the manhole. The edge of it does 1% still and in between seems to do 3% consistently. I feel like it did this before though and that I am just noticing now xp

Keep2D

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keep2D
I may just be crazy, but does d-tilts windbox hit multiple times now. I am seeing it do 4% damage just from the windbox if you catch it in the center of the manhole. The edge of it does 1% still and in between seems to do 3% consistently. I feel like it did this before though and that I am just noticing now xp
That was already a thing.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Did XXL Chef ever do 11% on hit? Or is training mode being stupid and confusing the Pan Hit + Sausage combo as one move?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I like XXL chef.

We really got screwed in our EVO sets. I was asked to give my opinions on the sets but I was at work so i couldnt and the sets are just super random

Like there's not even any sets with extreme judge i don't even understand why

and MK's sets are disappointing too like most of them use the terrible tornado instead of the KOing one for like no reason I don't even get the logic

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I would bet the sets were made by a random number generator someone who wanted characters to have less KO options.

D

Deleted member

Like there's not even any sets with extreme judge i don't even understand why
That's pretty much because most of us shunned it for Chain Judge (including me). I'll be honest, it's not a terrible custom, but I wouldn't use it just because of how many 1s you get. That and the 9 is a little weaker (which tbh doesn't bug me much, it still kills really early). Other than those cons, it's good because it comes out a bit faster and also takes out all the jank numbers.

I'm tied between if Chain Judge or Extreme Judge is better. I overall go with Chain Judge because even with all the 3s/4s I get, it's a better deal than taking 25% before actually getting a 9. I guess it's just personal preference, because both customs are based on luck anyway.

I wish Sakurai would've given us a custom where you only get 6 hammers (since 6 is the only number with reasonable knockback and damage output). At least then we'd have a consistent side-b.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
My point is if there are 10 loadouts why are there NO OTHER JUDGEMENTS.

isnt the whole point of customs to give the characters more options?

Like do we really need 10 with chain judge?

I PREFER chain judge, but having none of the others is really stupid when we're allowed 10 different loadouts

i forget do we have any of the long range buckets? because i was trying to use that vs a Custom villager and it would have really helped but couldn't .

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
My point is if there are 10 loadouts why are there NO OTHER JUDGEMENTS.

isnt the whole point of customs to give the characters more options?

Like do we really need 10 with chain judge?

I PREFER chain judge, but having none of the others is really stupid when we're allowed 10 different loadouts

i forget do we have any of the long range buckets? because i was trying to use that vs a Custom villager and it would have really helped but couldn't .
Chain Judge is overrated, I was playing some friendlies and my opponent, a Robin, was able to punish me for landing 3s (possibly 4s too, don't remember). It has really bad hitstun for lower numbers.

I like both Chef variants, though I still need to play around with them more. Short-Order Chef gives us a slight ranged pressure game and XXL Chef just restricts space really well.

I'm not sure if Panic Overload would really help vs. custom Villager. The absorption area is greatly reduced and the knockback on the attack is much worse as well, not to mention the awful lag when you use the actual attack. Its only real selling point is range.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
With rage it's still an OHKO or close and when you can't get close to a saptree villager having a long range punish move like that helps. It's theoretical but i mean, if I can bucket the little derp without getting close that's worth trying.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
With rage it's still an OHKO or close and when you can't get close to a saptree villager having a long range punish move like that helps. It's theoretical but i mean, if I can bucket the little derp without getting close that's worth trying.
The main thing against Villager's EXTREME BALLOONS is that he has some measure of control over when and where they detonate and with Panic Overload you have to basically he on top of them. It might still work, I dunno. They do deal enough percent to yield a powerful bucket (with the default 6% per hit seems to be a OHKO) so that's something. If he's ledge camping and decides to try to pressure you with Lloids, make him regret it by chasing the rocket across the stage and bucketing it when it explodes on its own (it deals 12% so that's two levels).

All in all I think Game & Watch has some of the better tools for dealing with a ledge-camping Villager between Oil Panic, Chef (default and XXL, though be wary of Pocket on the latter, it'll deal heavy damage), DAir (bop that lack of edge invincibility), and a solid recovery with the best stage-spiking move in the game (IMO).

Slingshots still suck though.

GMan1255

Smash Cadet
I have still yet to play around with customs, I honestly don't see why any of the customs are better than the defaults. Even with Chain Judge being safer, I still prefer the wildcard of regular Judge. I dislike Extreme Judge because there are just too many 1s and it seems to promote throwing out Judge all the time for the 50% chance at the 9. What do I know though, I suck at this game :p

Top Bottom