• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I couldn't think of anyone that would be a good fit until I saw this. This needs to happen.
WHAT?!?! REALLY?!?! I understand that he could have a unique moveset but isn't 2 Marios enough?!?! And I already hate one of em (Screw you, Doc)!

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
WHAT?!?! REALLY?!?! I understand that he could have a unique moveset but isn't 2 Marios enough?!?! And I already hate one of em (Screw you, Doc)!
so much this. we don't need another Mario clone. Vote Rayman or Ice Climbers.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Hi all! Long time Smashboards user, finally committing as a SSB4 Game and Watch main. Looking forward to frequenting these parts of the forums!

GMan1255

Smash Cadet
Who are game & watch players voting for as DLC, my picks:

Paper Mario
Shovel Knight
Dig Dug
Paper Mario is quite interesting actually because it would be awesome to have a second 2D character in the world of Sm4sh. However, I am supporting a friend of mine in who they want as a character, and that would be Raichu. Besides, if Pikachu had a weak clone in Melee, why not have a strong one in the same way that Mario has Doc

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
Who are game & watch players voting for as DLC, my picks:

Paper Mario
Shovel Knight
Dig Dug

Geno and Banjo - their games were console defining and they would have very specific styles of play in this game.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
image.jpg
As of yesterday, here's our top 15, stats collected from a survey on Reddit. Not sure if the characters are in any order.

lllp3lll

Smash Apprentice
so much this. we don't need another Mario clone.
Hopefully they wouldn't make him a clone, in Paper Mario games he fights using hammer moves, jumping and "spells", so they'd have a lot they could work with. Even his staple hammer attack was a charge like smash attack. I'd be happy with a Heavy Swordsmen style Mario, or mini Ike.

Also I too hated the idea of Doc in this game since on face value its a clone character, but I love his play-style being a ganon like plummer.

Namco helped making sm4sh so getting the rights for Dig Dug makes sense to me.

On the other hand I'm scared of the up coming patch, I know the belief is G&W is a weak character because:
Can't kill, dies at 20%.
He's 2D (paper thin) and fast it makes sense for him to die early.

The worst thing I feel would be to make his moves kill earlier in exchange for weakening his grab game.

Neb

Smash Lord
I am hoping they let him be. It seems intentional that they have made him a character revolved around the grab - having the quickest startup, and as a counterbalance to his light weight. If anything, docking a few frames from the landing on bair would be more than enough. I would hate to see them trade usmash's i-frames for stronger smashes.

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
were you ever able to find out what dairs triggered that glitch?

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
The worst thing I feel would be to make his moves kill earlier in exchange for weakening his grab game

That would be ******** even by Sakurai's standards.

Honestly, I doubt we are getting any buffs - people are overestimating the breadth of this patch out of sheer optimism.

If I got any, though, really, all I want on this character is a uthrow that kills at 130% on normalweights. This would make him very consistent competitively and it would be completely fair for him to have.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Figured I'd post my silhouettes... G&W isn't probably that exciting though.

Folie

Smash Apprentice
Hi is this where I introduce myself? too late im doing it. Just joined smashboards, started playing smash more seriously at the end of January, picked up G&W somewhere in February on a whim after realizing I wasn't having any fun playing Sheik and haven't found anyone else on ssb4 more fun to play than G&W. Looking forward to using the resources here to improve myself, hopefully I can get some gameplay videos up here for some criticism after some upcoming tournaments. I don't own a Wii U so getting practice in is a struggle :\

but yeah hi

EDIT: I missed the multiple hard-to-miss things telling me not to make this type of post here my b pls don't tell :(

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
You're straight.

Our board is pretty well behaved, and I'm pretty chill about most stuff.

Congratulations on discovering the coolest character in the game, though.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hi is this where I introduce myself? too late im doing it. Just joined smashboards, started playing smash more seriously at the end of January, picked up G&W somewhere in February on a whim after realizing I wasn't having any fun playing Sheik and haven't found anyone else on ssb4 more fun to play than G&W. Looking forward to using the resources here to improve myself, hopefully I can get some gameplay videos up here for some criticism after some upcoming tournaments. I don't own a Wii U so getting practice in is a struggle :\

but yeah hi

EDIT: I missed the multiple hard-to-miss things telling me not to make this type of post here my b pls don't tell :(
Welcome to the community! Seems you've got one part of G&W down right, he's fun. And as long as you've got a character who you think is fun and enjoyable, you'll do alright. I'm probably not the best one to ask for competitive advice, but I'll answer what I can.

Welcome to the G&W boards.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman

but yeah hi

Tries to play the game seriously? Check.

Can't have fun with any other character? Check. (You have been sucked into the G&W curse, there is no escape.)

Started on 3DS and had no Wii U for a time? Check.

Want to improve? Check.

You and I are going to have a lot to talk about. See you around.

Last edited:

Folie

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the warm welcome everyone :) I do plan on getting a wii u sometime, I just have to get around to selling some stuff I don't use anymore so I can justify spending a few hundred dollars on videogames to myself when I've spent the last year playing one non-monthly/weekly payment MMO and practically nothing else

having watched a bunch of gameplay vids, I'd say there's definitely a lot of work to done. My biggest issue right now is getting grabs, I have problems getting close enough for them, though I've noticed from vids that I could be grabbing out of jab when atm I'm just doing the full jab chain.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
thanks for the warm welcome everyone :) I do plan on getting a wii u sometime, I just have to get around to selling some stuff I don't use anymore so I can justify spending a few hundred dollars on videogames to myself when I've spent the last year playing one non-monthly/weekly payment MMO and practically nothing else

having watched a bunch of gameplay vids, I'd say there's definitely a lot of work to done. My biggest issue right now is getting grabs, I have problems getting close enough for them, though I've noticed from vids that I could be grabbing out of jab when atm I'm just doing the full jab chain.
Heard that. As soon as they showed off the first trailer I had to save up money for a Wii U. Took a year and a half, and I was only getting paid around $5-$10 for each time a mowed the lawn and/or shoveled the snow in my driveway.

GingyCTMF

Smash Rookie
GUYS FAIRS LANDING LAG IS PRACTICALLY GONE!@
How am I the only one seeing this??!!

EDIT: Yeaaah... nevermind. Placebo effect too strong.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Are you guys crazy?

They nerfed his Utilt

how can't you see that?

I'm so frustrated, why is Mario allowed to utilt people into oblivion but we get changed, it's so infuriating wtf

Edit: Can someone check if uthrow is stronger though? I had to drive across town just to play the patch because i don't have a copy of smash atm

double edit: I'm also frustrated that after we sent that 300 retweeted message asking for patch notes for the benefit of both casual and competitive players we're still sitting here trying to figure out the changes ourselves. I'm just super salty in general but man it would be nice to at least get a response explaining why they won't instead of being completely ignored... like we always are.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Are you guys crazy?

They nerfed his Utilt

how can't you see that?

I'm so frustrated, why is Mario allowed to utilt people into oblivion but we get changed, it's so infuriating wtf

Edit: Can someone check if uthrow is stronger though? I had to drive across town just to play the patch because i don't have a copy of smash atm

double edit: I'm also frustrated that after we sent that 300 retweeted message asking for patch notes for the benefit of both casual and competitive players we're still sitting here trying to figure out the changes ourselves. I'm just super salty in general but man it would be nice to at least get a response explaining why they won't instead of being completely ignored... like we always are.
Out of everything we actually could use out of d-throw, his uptilt gets nerfed?

Why do you hate us, Sakurai?:urg:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It has more knockback.

before you could use it for some pretty good landing traps or chain 2 or 3 on some characters, now it knocks them farther away and puts them behind you. you can still combo into nair but you can't get as much damage because you can't chain the utilts and it sends them farther so it's harder to chain another nair after the first

Neb

Smash Lord
I can't even complain. More knockback on utilt as a new potential KO option/usmash mixup? We could have been worse off... like Diddy. We're benefiting either way.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It's not it's inferior to the old utilt. It does the same thing but just sends them higher and works less at higher % because of the increased knockback.

Top Bottom