• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
The Game & Watch 3DS theme is the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Now if only my Wii U menu looked like that...

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
What's your controller? I'm still getting adjusted to the Classic Controller (the big issue has been messing up side-B and Down-B inputs lol) but I'm mostly there. I think it just takes some time to get used to a bigger controller.
Wii U Pro Controller. I keep forgetting I have a second stick. Derp.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Easiest controller option for me is Wiimote sideways. I know it's unpopular and people are amazed when you can use it correctly, but hand me a Game Cube controller and tell me to play Smash... I'd be like "Ya, right."

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Some general issue.

I just can't play well on the Wii U as opposed to the 3DS. Mainly because I only get on the Wii U for only like two days a week.

The flow of the games are just...different.

Tried hand warmups on training where I did some strings before going on FG, only to get wrecked and play a significantly noobish type of playstyle. I just couldn't put up a good fight like I should.

Guess I can blame this on the lack of practice, but besides that, how else can I "transfer" my skill over?
All I had to do was change around my grab and shield buttons and I was good to go on the Wii-U Pro controller. It's a better controller than the GCN controller imo.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Sorry for my lack of activity in the last few days, i've been very busy catching up. The last 2 weekends have me behind on a lot of stuff, in addition i've made some lifestyle changes that i'm trying to adjust to (Time management is not my strong area)

Just started working out too, my arms feel like jello

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It's called Bucket Jumping.

You have to use Bucket once. Once you've used it the first time the second bucket will carry the momentum so you can jump before it and use to to glide through the air.

Actually I guess I can make a quick video about it.

edit: here you go, very simple

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

You have to use Bucket once. Once you've used it the first time the second bucket will carry the momentum so you can jump before it and use to to glide through the air.

YES! Nice work here. I've got a new tactic to surprise my friend now.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
That's a great bucket mechanic to catch someone unawares with. I managed to trick someone right into an easy dair offstage with it.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Oh, by the way... When you're offstage, you can use the bucket to change your side so you can use your Bair.
It's very nice because if has more priority than the Fair!

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Bucket Jumping can actually be used as a really situational way of getting really high in the air to use aerials.

Up-B -> Bucket -> Bucket Jump puts you very high in the air. Not sure how often you'll use this, but the option exists even though it takes a long time to set up.

MooCow99

Smash Rookie
NNID
MooCowz
Actually, while Game's downB was certainly not very useful in Melee, it was one of his most useful moves in Brawl. It stopped ALL momentum when he was sent flying which allowed him to live to crazy %'s. The technique was called "Bucket Breaking".
I loved using that tech in Project M, but in Smash 4, I have found that what G&W's down special does is reduce vertical momentum, but continue horizontal momentum. I have occasionally been able to use that to slide right over people while I was recovering. I hope to be able to do more with this potential tech, but in the meantime, I miss the bucket braking that kept him from getting KO'd at such low percentages.

Last edited:

AmishTechnology

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KIMPHIE
Hello Gdub boards.

After using him for so long as a self-handicap against others, Mr. G&W finally clicked with me today... Just out of the blue, I finally realized how you're supposed to abuse his nair, grab, upb, uair, etc... Quite a fun character, and he seems to have easier matchups than my main Meta Knight against certain characters like Mario and Bowser Jr (MK is absolutely great against Rosalina and Olimar though). Funny, because MK was the same designated "handicap" character just a month or so ago when Rosalina was my main (deemed her too boring and hate her SoloRosa phase).

Welp, it's refreshing that Gdubby has amazing aerials and aerials with autocancels as well. Using aerials with MK in the neutral is so weird because none of them autocancel... MK's punishable aerial approach game is one of his biggest weaknesses. My modus operandi at the moment is mainly to literally keep my enemy afloat with u-airs, mixing mere windbox uairs with real uairs and nairs for the hit, so they never know whether to airdodge (which, if I feinted or started the uair/nair late, I can punish; if they airdodge landed... it's U/F-Smash time) or to contest with an attack, which I will beat with either a disjointed aerial, USmash with the helmet if they attacked near ground, or disengage with a windbox yet again. If they wise up and start fast falling, that's when I bring out fairs and feint for airdodges, I suppose. Seems like uair juggling is one of his defining characteristics and pressure game. Maybe I was just playing some super bads though? He's also much easier to control than MK, a character that requires a lot of precision to pull off those uair chains and improv combos and offstage play and whatnot (absolutely brutal to play MK when your enemy's wifi lags). G&W is much more forgiving on the controls and I play Tap Jump on him for the easy OoS usmashes.

Also love relating Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (game where my avatar comes from) with Meta Knight and G&W. MK's got the name, Gdubz has the Maul and "gambling" (9 hammer) which in that game means throwing out attacks regardless of whether you see your enemy attacking or feinting or blocking.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I've been wondering, what match-ups are in G&W's favor? I was winning a lot with him in the past month (online matches), but this last week has been on the fence.

Also, great new avatar Windoze, but I'm sure some people are hating on you right now (not including me, I really didn't care if Rayman got in).

Ephenilliac

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ephenilliac
3DS FC
5455-9900-2775
So with the bucket jumping technique, would you be able to jump down, use the bucket, do an aerial, and jump back up with the bucket with the momentum, or would you not be able to jump with the same momentum because you did an aerial?

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Deadly grab combos on him (check the Frame Data Thread), takes SideB easily (after a throw, I mean), he has to approach while we don't (main G&W's flaw is approaching) so we can use our punishing/mindgame moves (UpSmash and Ftilt of course, and I found out that Dtilt is really good too), easiest character to edgeguard IMO (turtle/key mainly), he's light, he has no true combo on us (UpB to escape), he has hard time against our disjointed hitboxes...

G&W just has to avoid his UpSmash.

The guy I played the most with is a Fox mainer (and he does well in tournament), and he thinks the same.
Main tools are Grabs and Edgeguarding in this MU.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Deadly grab combos on him (check the Frame Data Thread), takes SideB easily (after a throw, I mean), he has to approach while we don't (main G&W's flaw is approaching) so we can use our punishing/mindgame moves (UpSmash and Ftilt of course, and I found out that Dtilt is really good too), easiest character to edgeguard IMO (turtle/key mainly), he's light, he has no true combo on us (UpB to escape), he has hard time against our disjointed hitboxes...

G&W just has to avoid his UpSmash.

The guy I played the most with is a Fox mainer (and he does well in tournament), and he thinks the same.
Main tools are Grabs and Edgeguarding in this MU.
Good to know.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
So with the bucket jumping technique, would you be able to jump down, use the bucket, do an aerial, and jump back up with the bucket with the momentum, or would you not be able to jump with the same momentum because you did an aerial?
The aerial doesn't matter because none of the aerials change GWs momentum except for Dair so the result is the same

You can fall off the stage (not jump off because remember you must save your jump) do an aerial/usebucket>usebucket/do aerial>bucket jump

Edit: so to answer the question: yes.

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I found this in the Ness "matchup" thread. This is one of the greatest gimps in SSB history and is now my method of choice for killing a Ness:
Here's my favorite,
So Ness is offstage, has lost his 2nd jump, and is forced to UpB.
Now is your time to troll it up.
Quickly get next to Ness and UpB, the Windbox will completely throw off his aim to initiate PK Thunder 2, and will result in a KO. And a quite funny one at that.

Last edited:

BlakDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlakDragon
3DS FC
2938-7104-7763
TIL Mr. Game & Watch can be grabbed in the middle of his rapid jab on a blocking opponent. A Mega Man did that to me so anybody with a grab as quick as or quicker than his, can do this too.

Lame. |:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Hey guys sorry about being so scarce lately between work, tourneys, and developing my scene I haven't had any time to really update you guys on any GW stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA/videos

I uploaded a bunch of doubles recently on my channel I posted so if you wanna see lots of GW check my most recent vids.

Those are from like a month ago but it's still pretty good stuff

I just got back from a tourney so i'm drained and have to sleep.... then wake up and go to my city's weekly. I kinda don't wanna but i really wanna support Tucson and train up our newer players.

I'll be uploading some singles and doubles as well as some customs so be on the lookout for that stuff (and subscribe if you haven't)

I'll let you guys know when it's uploaded.

I've been going full GW. It's been hard but I'm trying =).

When I get an opportunity over the next few days i'm gonna clean some stuff up on the forum, post my matchup opinions for the thread, and hopefully get my GW Tips and Tricks video uploaded. But my days have literally just been packed.

edit: Also did my first Customs tourney. it was interesting but I just use default GW. The only thing I use different is for custom's teams I use Short order chef and Chain judge. I think short order chef is overrated though, in teams however it's 'better' because you can save your partner from a distance normally not accessible to GW. Also his Panic overload or whatever it's called might be better for certain matchups or situations. Efficient panic is butt though, I don't understand how that move is supposed to be useful lol

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I found this in the Ness "matchup" thread. This is one of the greatest gimps in SSB history and is now my method of choice for killing a Ness:
Does this only work when Ness has his 2nd PK Thunder custom on?

Hey guys sorry about being so scarce lately between work, tourneys, and developing my scene I haven't had any time to really update you guys on any GW stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMNi1nkIpqkfvHOeLlAmLdA/videos

I uploaded a bunch of doubles recently on my channel I posted so if you wanna see lots of GW check my most recent vids.

Those are from like a month ago but it's still pretty good stuff

I just got back from a tourney so i'm drained and have to sleep.... then wake up and go to my city's weekly. I kinda don't wanna but i really wanna support Tucson and train up our newer players.

I'll be uploading some singles and doubles as well as some customs so be on the lookout for that stuff (and subscribe if you haven't)

I'll let you guys know when it's uploaded.

I've been going full GW. It's been hard but I'm trying =).

When I get an opportunity over the next few days i'm gonna clean some stuff up on the forum, post my matchup opinions for the thread, and hopefully get my GW Tips and Tricks video uploaded. But my days have literally just been packed.

edit: Also did my first Customs tourney. it was interesting but I just use default GW. The only thing I use different is for custom's teams I use Short order chef and Chain judge. I think short order chef is overrated though, in teams however it's 'better' because you can save your partner from a distance normally not accessible to GW. Also his Panic overload or whatever it's called might be better for certain matchups or situations. Efficient panic is butt though, I don't understand how that move is supposed to be useful lol
The move is Oil Panic, and I've found it VERY useful in matchups against Mega Man, especially because one of his prime kill moves (Side Smash) is a projectile.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752

The move is Oil Panic, and I've found it VERY useful in matchups against Mega Man, especially because one of his prime kill moves (Side Smash) is a projectile.
It should work on any PK Thunder that involves aiming a thunder bolt. "PK Thunder 2" is PK Thunder when it's used as a recovery instead of an offensive projectile.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King

I know what Oil Panic is lol

Yes Oil Panic is an amazing move =)

I'm referring to Efficient Panic, one of his Custom buckets

Top Bottom