• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Alot of events seem to feature Game & Watch in some way as well.
Huzaah~
Makes sense. He's was Nintendo's first character, it seems logical he'd get a fair amount of representation and some decent show-ups.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
If you're talking about the event on the left, it's a metal Mr. Game and Watch using a down smash.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Played several local matches and won all of them with Mr. Game & Watch against Palutena, Diddy Kong, Mii Brawler, Zamus and Bowser Jr.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Played several local matches and won all of them with Mr. Game & Watch against Palutena, Diddy Kong, Mii Brawler, Zamus and Bowser Jr.
Good news for G&W! Especially since the pros consider Diddy and Zero Suit Samus to be among "the best" thus far.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Double post (though later), but we do NOT have 2 stages, instead, we have the new "Flat Zone X" on the Wii U version, which contains elements of Brawl's Flat Zone 2, while having the same layout as Melee's Flat Zone. Essentially, it's 2 STAGES IN 1!

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Can someone explain to me why Flat Zone X was not added to Smash 3DS?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
He's pretty much the same. It makes me so mad that they looked at gw for the bucket changes and were COMPLETELY okay with how everything else was. **** you sakurai, **** YOU

Last edited:

bisho bola

Smash Rookie
I have bad news for you

dash attack has been neutered
oil panic sucks now
bair has no sweet spot and range is cut
his uair was useless before but wait till you see it now
lots of end lag on his side b

just overall ****ed. He probably even got more but I don't think anyone wants to bother looking because its just depressing

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Of course, let's listen to the first message that this guy ever posted
on this site. Seems totally trustworthy!

bisho bola

Smash Rookie
The F*** are you talking about? it's not like I'm a tester or something, you can test it yourself in your ds.

Also it's not from me, it's all over reddit and smashtesters twitch reviewed him like 30 minutes ago

I'll quote you tomorrow once you test it yourself.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
That was sorta unnecessary.

You know how people get their post count higher? By posting.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's apparently incorrect, not really excited to hear about bucket, though. Is it just Pika's? Or is bucket overall nerfed (As in it does this for everyone?)

They buffed MK i'm SUPER happy about that. I wanted a range buff but a damage and knockback buff is pretty cool, too.

I didn't expect anything about GW to change but if they nerfed him i'd be so salty ugh

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's apparently incorrect, not really excited to hear about bucket, though. Is it just Pika's? Or is bucket overall nerfed (As in it does this for everyone?)

They buffed MK i'm SUPER happy about that. I wanted a range buff but a damage and knockback buff is pretty cool, too.

I didn't expect anything about GW to change but if they nerfed him i'd be so salty ugh
An MK BUFF?!?! They hardly nerfed him from Brawl! All they did was take out his gliding (take in mind I haven't been able to play the game yet)!

Hearing more G&W merfs makes me wonder though, maybe we haven't found the real potential of G&W yet, and Nintendo found out before us, so while we're questioning what they're doing, they know what he can really do and are trying to balance the game out a bit more.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

I know we all have to start somewhere, but you shouldn't
really expect a lot of people to believe what a newcomer says
right out of the gate unless you have proof of what he's saying
or of his experience.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
An MK BUFF?!?! They hardly nerfed him from Brawl! All they did was take out his gliding (take in mind I haven't been able to play the game yet)!
His range and priority are terrible compared to Brawl, and almost all of his attacks have more start and/or end lag on them. He needed buffs.

As for Game and Watch, I still have faith he's capable of being good in the right hands. Especially if customs become standard competitively, since the Heavy Trampoline improves his offense so much.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
how much does Thunder fill up the bucket now? 1 or 2 units?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King

Hearing more G&W merfs makes me wonder though, maybe we haven't found the real potential of G&W yet, and Nintendo found out before us, so while we're questioning what they're doing, they know what he can really do and are trying to balance the game out a bit more.
Nintendo doesn't know anything about how good GW is

MK was SEVERLY nerfed, and was definitely pretty terrible, but these changes are a godsend

edit: i should clarify. He was bad but needed tweaking to really bring the character up to the same level as a lot of the viable characters. I was hoping for a range buff and i would've been fine with the way he was before, but this may be enough. Now that Bair kills and he racks damage more easily it offsets the range buff he would've needed for the follow ups that would increase his damage output to a competitive amount.

Last edited:

Shmoopy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jordanious24
3DS FC
3995-6588-3249
I really wanna see some new skins for this guy that aren't just alt colors.
I'm always down for his general design though but.....did they even do anything for project?

Shmoopy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jordanious24
3DS FC
3995-6588-3249
I am quite fond of the little clicks G&W walks makes when he moves.
I can hear them now.....

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Dunno if PM got anything, but I just read an article today that Sakurai said don't expect DLC, he doesn't want people to feel nickel and dimed, in essence

so i think any upcoming alt costumes probably aren't happening

I don't really have any ideas for alternates for him anyway, i'm not too concerned about that stuff.

I also, love GW's sound effects. I prefer his walking animation in this game.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Dunno if PM got anything, but I just read an article today that Sakurai said don't expect DLC, he doesn't want people to feel nickel and dimed, in essence

so i think any upcoming alt costumes probably aren't happening

I don't really have any ideas for alternates for him anyway, i'm not too concerned about that stuff.

I also, love GW's sound effects. I prefer his walking animation in this game.
NO DLC?!?! SHOOT! There'd better be DLC, that's the only way for my ICies to get back in! Nintendo, I give you money and cookies for ICies as DLC!

G&W's sound effects were always pretty neat, the little clicks every time he walks, and that high-pitched noise during his down taunt. :)

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I still can't believe that Mr. G&W didn't get any buffs. He seriously is in need of buffs! He just doesn't feel nearly as good as he used to in brawl and has problems approaching. Also Meta Knight before the patch was pretty bad...The buffs for him in this patch were definitely necessary and made sense.

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
Having more fun after I started abusing bacon

Why are you pulling me back, G&W, whyyy
When playing online, follow where your bacon goes, your opponent is either forced to shield and you can start pressuring them, or they get hit and you can start pressuring them.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
TV Tropes says Mr. Game & Watch and Meta Knight were the characters with the biggest and hardest nerfs. SSB Wiki is indeterminate on his status relative to Brawl, saying the nerfs and buffs he got cancel each other out.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
#1 TVTropes is my ****. I love that site, i literally got lost in it for days one week back when I was in high school.
#2 He's definitely nerfed, he had arguably the largest buff from Melee to Brawl (at first) going from a bottom tier character to a top tier character (and in subsequent years a borderline character, although I feel as though at the end of Brawl he was honestly on the lower end of mid.

It's common knowledge that SSBWiki should also be taken with a grain of salt. I don't feel as though it's a laughable source like some people do, but the stuff there is often kinda misguided.

Guys, took a thanksgiving vacation which means i actually have time to make more videos. I'm delving into bucket mechanics tonight and testing some theories but i'm not a huge lab rat like some people so i'll probably just be putting my personal observations out there and hopefully someone can figure out some cool tech or ideas.

I'm so happy to finally be able to make more videos, and now in beautiful HD get hype!

btw i'll be i alabama this week. Just in case anybody lives there (huntsville)

Last edited:

Sup3rn00b

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sup3rn00b
3DS FC
4398-9309-7838
I'm really digging G&W in this game, Dash attacking seems to lead to some decent follow-ups.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Did anyone test G&W on wiiU? I want to see how c-stick works on him.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yeah, I actually play worse with the GC Controller.

I can't give you an accurate answer yet because there's currently that issue where holding the C-stick halts your momentum and I havent gotten used to just flicking the Cstick to space aerials yet.

But so far with GW specifically i'm worse with the GC Controller lol

Sheik's way better to use though

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
SFA aka SmileyFace , Can you test if you can slowfall dair with cstick or smt? Trying to tilt the aerial attack ....

I'm spanish and I have to wait since 28th Nov to play the game and I have a lot of questions :p

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
You can't slowfall Dair in this game at all, unfortunately.

Yeah lemme know if there's anything you wanna know, dude, I dont mind letting you know

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Thoroughly enjoying Mr. Game & Watch. His floaty, defensive/chain/hit-and-run playstyle is very satisfying.

And how could I forget Up and Side Taunts? So great for forcing an attack.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Thoroughly enjoying Mr. Game & Watch. His floaty, defensive/chain/hit-and-run playstyle is very satisfying.

And how could I forget Up and Side Taunts? So great for forcing an attack.
Use them repeatedly using up taunt, side taunt, up taunt, side taunt. Makes the experience even better. :) Probably the best taunt combo in the game. And then how you can (somewhat) easily get out of it with a follow up move.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Use them repeatedly using up taunt, side taunt, up taunt, side taunt. Makes the experience even better. :) Probably the best taunt combo in the game. And then how you can (somewhat) easily get out of it with a follow up move.
Because of Mr. Game & Watch's extremely limited animation (his taunts only have 2 visible frames of animation), you can spam any of his taunts to create infinite unbroken continuous bell ringing/sighing.

Top Bottom