• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Game & Watch Matchup Export

D

Deleted member

Character: Mr. Game and Watch
Current BBR MU Rating: -2
What to watch out for:
Stages
-Strike:
-Ban:
-Counterpicks:
Lucas Boards Matchup Rating:

Matchup Summaries:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I think it's definitelyin GW's advantage but i dunno if we +2 Lucas. You can pull off stupid stuff on us, too.

Lucas has disjointed hitboxes and ko's us pretty early. A year ago I wouldve blindly said we ***** you but now that i'm a better player and I can see potential for Lucas in the matchup

D

Deleted member

These posts are almost making it sound like the MU is even.

I don't have a lot of experience of Lucas vs. G&W. Care to elaborate on why they rated this MU a -2 for us in the BBR?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Here is a current vid. To help out. I feel I've mastered the matchup. And our main weakness is that if the g&w gets the lead it is real hard for us to catch him. But it is the same for them as well. With good spacing and technical skill u don't have to worry about getting gimped by his bucket. His turtle can be a real problem but if u see his back is turned to u, u know he is most likely gonna do it. So just back away. We mainly just need to watch out for brinstar and rainbow cruise. BF is a killer too if he gets the lead. But I've learned how to turn the tables and make it a killer for them too on BF if I get the lead. Stage control is very important. On BF they try and gay us by camping the plateforms. Well if we get the lead gay them back by hiding under the platforms! lol. Singles is so gay haha. But that can be seen in the second match in the youtube vid below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-NptxQDlx4

Chuee

Smash Hero
These posts are almost making it sound like the MU is even.

I don't have a lot of experience of Lucas vs. G&W. Care to elaborate on why they rated this MU a -2 for us in the BBR?
imo it's because he outranges and can edgeguard us fairly well

Here is a current vid. To help out. I feel I've mastered the matchup. And our main weakness is that if the g&w gets the lead it is real hard for us to catch him. But it is the same for them as well. With good spacing and technical skill u don't have to worry about getting gimped by his bucket. His turtle can be a real problem but if u see his back is turned to u, u know he is most likely gonna do it. So just back away. We mainly just need to watch out for brinstar and rainbow cruise. BF is a killer too if he gets the lead. But I've learned how to turn the tables and make it a killer for them too on BF if I get the lead. Stage control is very important. On BF they try and gay us by camping the plateforms. Well if we get the lead gay them back by hiding under the platforms! lol. Singles is so gay haha. But that can be seen in the second match in the youtube vid below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-NptxQDlx4
meh, you played really good, but it seemed like you outplayed him by a lot

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I mean with my new skills that is the only one I have been able to play. I'm reading him and doing my best not to put myself in bad situations. That's what smash is i guess. The only top level g&W i have played recently is vinnie but that was in dubs. :/. I'm handling myself well in those matches. It's not like there is nothing lucas can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPiNU7ZsqNQ

Chuee

Smash Hero
I mean with my new skills that is the only one I have been able to play. I'm reading him and doing my best not to put myself in bad situations. That's what smash is i guess. The only top level g&W i have played recently is vinnie but that was in dubs. :/. I'm handling myself well in those matches. It's not like there is nothing lucas can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPiNU7ZsqNQ
I'd really like to see you against vinnie in singles :/

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Yea we haven't played yet but are playing at apex. I'm confident I will do well. He feels the matchup is very uneven. I don't know what lucas players he has played tho. Prop PF since he knows him and thinks highly of him.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Yea we haven't played yet but are playing at apex. I'm confident I will do well. He feels the matchup is very uneven. I don't know what lucas players he has played tho. Prop PF since he knows him and thinks highly of him.
He played Galeon at MLG and beat him. Other than that I don't think he's played any other Lucas'. He's teamed with PF before though.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
So... I don't really have experience against any pro g&w, just against 2 friends that main it but neither of them ain't that good and I outplay the by far. Still, this is what I've got:

-The bucket is kinda hard to deal with when you are recovering and need to cover a great vertical distance, because if he positions himself correctly, he can bucket pkt, and I'm guessing zap jump too (not sure, I just started zap jumping this week and haven't played my friends recently), and though you would still jump high, you would be filling his bucket.
-His turtle can be sdi'ed and punished easily (Uair at least, don't know if any other aerial of us works well for this).
-If he fills the bucket, you should start spaming like there's no tomorrow, and it's a good moment to get the kill since he can't bucket-break with a full bucket. Don't be reckless though, because a bucket with 3 pkfires he kills at 65% with no DI, lets make that 80% with DI (approximation based on... nothing really, just the number that comes to my mind ._.). If there's a pkt in there, you might as well die at 65% with DI.
-He can dthrow> dsmash before you can roll if you don't tech (I hope this is clear enough).
-His up-b has 2 vulnerable frames before grabbing the ledge, this is easily punished with a long-lasting hitbox (ejem, dsmash).

As I said, I don't have that much experience, so all I can give you is this general stuff. I'll contribute more if anything comes to my mind.

On my own questions about the matchup: Does his fsmash outrange or out prioritizes ours? What is a good way to kill? recomendations for the recovery?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
-The bucket is kinda hard to deal with when you are recovering and need to cover a great vertical distance, because if he positions himself correctly, he can bucket pkt, and I'm guessing zap jump too (not sure, I just started zap jumping this week and haven't played my friends recently), and though you would still jump high, you would be filling his bucket.

Uair, and Up-B are safer options I THINK. I don't really know, I don't play this matchup often.

-His turtle can be sdi'ed and punished easily (Uair at least, don't know if any other aerial of us works well for this).
-If he fills the bucket, you should start spaming like there's no tomorrow, and it's a good moment to get the kill since he can't bucket-break with a full bucket. Don't be reckless though, because a bucket with 3 pkfires he kills at 65% with no DI, lets make that 80% with DI (approximation based on... nothing really, just the number that comes to my mind ._.). If there's a pkt in there, you might as well die at 65% with DI.

Are you SURE? Because Lucas's PK fire is pretty powerful. Falco's Lasers KO at 65%...So yours is probably way below that... I'd assume I TOTALLY could be wrong, i'm just making assumptions
-He can dthrow> dsmash before you can roll if you don't tech (I hope this is clear enough).
-His up-b has 2 vulnerable frames before grabbing the ledge, this is easily punished with a long-lasting hitbox (ejem, dsmash).

I didn't know both of these. Good to know :troll:

As I said, I don't have that much experience, so all I can give you is this general stuff. I'll contribute more if anything comes to my mind.

On my own questions about the matchup: Does his fsmash outrange or out prioritizes ours? What is a good way to kill? recomendations for the recovery?
I probably shouldn't be posting when my matchup knowledge is so limited, but i'm bored on smashboards right now lol.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
when you bucket PKFire you only bucket the bolt and not the entire thing. It would make sense if it killed only at the same time laser's would.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
Up-b would be swallowed by the bucket, so it's not very safe imo.
And I got the info about the bucket killing % at the g&w boards, but they're asuming you have 3 of the same proyectile, that's why I'm thinking 2 pkf + 1 pkt kills earlier, because pkt is higher on the list

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Yeah but Uair and Up-B vertically space us away from you and we don't get accidentally caught in your Up-B (which has happened to me a lot.)

We can just blow you out of the path of your Thunder and you fall to your doom

Yeah as far as bucketing PK fire that's definitely not worth i, since Falco's are more frequent and easier to bucket unpunished

Seriously If I was playing a lucas i would probably never bucket outside of thunder off stage (And even then I probably wouldn't even do that i'd just stick with Uair and UpB windboxes.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
Oh, it makes sense o.o Imma tell the guys I play to start doing that, seems like a nice option for the g&w.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Seriously If I was playing a lucas i would probably never bucket outside of thunder off stage (And even then I probably wouldn't even do that i'd just stick with Uair and UpB windboxes.
I don't know about never, but I would probably use it with caution out of fear of getting punished.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It's nice to not fill your bucket sometimes, it keeps the general amount of spam you have to deal with lower than other characters, and you're not a character we have a particularly hard time KOing vanilla style

But yeah i'm just weird, too.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
KOing via Smashes or edgeguards (or fair)

Sorry the Vanilla thing was me just throwing around words (I do that a lot)

But yeah I mean killing in a non-gimmicky fashion

D

Deleted member

I guess I can see that if the Lucas isn't going for the ledge, but other than that, wouldn't our mobility actually make us a harder kill?

KoozyK

Smash Ace
so wait.....we can actually spam pk fire?? i thought it would be a good idea not to since the bucket can be filled off of a few reads.

Zwei Striker

Smash Apprentice
I believe that we can spam it AFTER the g&w gets those reads and fills his bucket, since then we just have no reason not to spam.
Edit: Today I got the chance to play this matchup for a good while against a good enough G&W, and I must say that spamming pk fire is the key to winning this matchup. Spacing it well and abusing our great mobility gives the G&W a really hard time, and even when G&W gets a full bucket, you must keep spamming and spacing pk fire smartly so that he won't land the Oil Panic. Besides, if you mix up with well spaced fairs and short hop> airdodge through > ftilts, they will stop trying to bucket the spam out because of the hits they'll be getting. Still, remember he can approach you with his bair, which pretty much swallows the pk fire without harming g&w, or vertically with his key, though this approach is really predictable.

D

Deleted member

Good stages to pick against G&W? Looks like Brinstar probably wouldn't be the best option. :/

D

Deleted member

That's pretty true. :/

Not even PS2 is very safe just because of the wind transformation making things pretty risky...I'd think he'd be able to blow us right up into a star kill at that point, but I'm not completely sure.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
We're sorta CP proof for the most part, as long as the character isn't like diddy, or ICs or something stupid like that. I PERSONALLY hate Yoshi's. It limits my options for approaches. Just take him whereever you feel most comfortable and won't get gimped because edgeguarding is a large part of GW's game. ABout spamming Fire though, we don't have to bucket you know, we can just duck and when you try to punish us just Dtilt i'm assuming. Does your Dair beat our nair? because if so that's pretty huge as that's our best aerial and one of our absolute best moves

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm not sure. It probably trades, which is better for us as it gets us out of the juggle situation.

Vinnie

Smash Master
65:35 / +2 :gw:

They both die at reasonably early %s

Lucas has a hard time getting in vs g&w

bucket

Lucas has to kinda rely on luck to kill in singles imo lol (g&w has a hard time killing as well but it hinders Lucas way more)

bucket vs recovery (can be avoided but if g&w reads a jump air dodge or w/e, you get naired and put in a bad position)

gw dtilt seems pretty useful

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
look for PK fire. Get ready to Power shield punish his pokes, or shield grab. Get ready to UP-B OOS his D-air.

Gimp his ***

D

Deleted member

Approaching G&W is pretty hard. A lot of Lucas's seem to play more airborne, so D-tilt isn't really going to be an issue unless Lucas is going in for an f-tilt.

G&W's fair is where the problem lies. Lucas's lack of range really suffers against that.

D

Deleted member

So you're saying it also serves as an anti-air?

Well dang...

D

Deleted member

About ready to wrap this up, guys?

Post your opinions on what you feel the matchup number should be.

Top Bottom