• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr.G&W's personality and traits as a character?

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
So how many of you have had a lot of experience actually playing old-school 'Game and Watch'? I've never played one (a little too young). I mean, my understanding is that "Mr.Game and Watch" is technically a made-up character that serves to represent the series like a sort of avatar, although I've heard theories that there is a character depicted in the G&W games that may be the character we call "Mr.Game and Watch".

In either case, what I was wondering about earlier while I was day dreaming at work was, "What is GW's personality?" Do you guys think he even has one? Should he? Would it almost be purposeful for him to not have one, as in to represent the simplicity and story devoid nature of early gaming? What do you guys imagine he is like?

Is he an arrogant d-bag? Is he a loveable, clumsy goofball?
Is he a family man, or total player?
Is he the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with?
Is he a nerd, or perhaps a jock? (definitely a goth, all he wears is black)

Actually, that raises perhaps the most important question of all:

Is Mr.Game and Watch naked? o_O

What do you all think?

MetalHeroOfTime

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, Mr. Game and Watch is a bored rich guy. He has all of this money so he doesn't have to work a desk job. He doesn't know what to do with himself so he just tries his hand at everything. That is why in all the G&W games he is constantly doing something new, whether that be a fireman, lion tamer or deep sea diver. They're exciting for a little bit but then he goes back to being bored. The reason his face is so non-expressive is because he's super bored.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
G&W Doesn't have much of a personality, since he's too busy trying to figure out what's even going on.

Robotic Operating Buddy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moguera24
I believe it was explained somewhere on the Dojo site for Brawl that G&W has no true definition of right and wrong, which is why it was so easy for Tabuu to manipulate him to create subspace bugs.
I've always looked at him like this, just some old flat guy looking for fun in a world of 3D shapes. In fact G&W's new walk seems to perfectly exemplify this, you'll notice that as he walks he constantly moves his head about almost as if he was taking in all this astonishing scenery instead of focusing on the fight

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
In SSE he was goofy and giddy about stuff, And seemed fascinated about the world around him. Even an umbrella.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
In SSE he was goofy and giddy about stuff, And seemed fascinated about the world around him. Even an umbrella.
It's funny, I have such little recollection of SSE and the cut scenes. I only played it once, back when Brawl first come out. Might have to watch those cutscenes again.

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
I believe it was explained somewhere on the Dojo site for Brawl that G&W has no true definition of right and wrong, which is why it was so easy for Tabuu to manipulate him to create subspace bugs.
I've always looked at him like this, just some old flat guy looking for fun in a world of 3D shapes. In fact G&W's new walk seems to perfectly exemplify this, you'll notice that as he walks he constantly moves his head about almost as if he was taking in all this astonishing scenery instead of focusing on the fight
I remember this being on his trophy info too I think.
Game and Watch is an enigmatic creature hailing from another dimension. We see him as a flat, speechless (though definitely not quiet) alien. This isn't to say he lacks personality, rather the expressions he shows speaks volumes to make up for the lack of linguistics. I think he has a different mindset from us three dimensional beings, and he simply adheres to his own simplistic emotions and desires. He doesn't cause harm while doing his thing, but he just doesn't really know anything about the world around him- he's in a world with one more dimension than his norm! Imagine being in a 4d world. I know I wouldn't know what to make of it!

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Hmm. I wonder about this all the time. What EXACTLY is Mr. Game and Watch? The representative of the Game and Watch games, and some sort of 2D guy, but what I meant is... what is he? Does he have personality, emotions, or expressions? Well, he's a living being, so probably. Is G&W even a living being? He can move and do stuff, so I think so. Due to the nature of his 2D form, doesn't his existence kinda defy the laws of physics? What exactly is his body? Why does he make beeping noises? How does he make chairs, torches, parachutes, and credit cards out of nothing? Why are they solid? What about his backstory? How was he born? How old is he? Does G&W even age? Does he have family? Why does he move the way he does?

I know there's SSE and all, but even with SSE, it still is very confusing to me. He can multiply? Also, according the Smash wiki, he doesn't know what's right or wrong so he's easy to manipulate. This also raises many many questions.

He's a very mysterious character... but that's exactly what I love about him. I know almost nothing about the guy, and that is what makes him special. His unique character and quirky moveset was what attracted me to him as a kid in the first place. As @ Splice Splice said, the way you can interpret his character is limitless, and that is what appeals to me.

And yes, Mr. Game and Watch is technically naked. Even if he were to wear clothing, I don't think it'll really work out too well since he's flat.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I think the Game & Watch species is naturally curious and they often go to great lengths to do even simple tasks, because they generally only have one thing on their mind at a time and will do anything to get that one thing accomplished. This is probably also why they don't have any real understanding of good and evil – they can't (or don't) really split their focus enough on the complex moral systems 3D beings have.

I'm a huge fan of the little handhelds, and things like advanced acrobatics just to keep some clothes dry and taking care of garden pests with some giant mallets does come off as a little obsessive.

Also, this is just my personal headcanon, but I don't think the Shadow Bugs are malicious – it's how they reproduce. G&W!Mario, Charlie Brown, Popeye, and Link are just like the fake brawlers in the SSE.

Last edited:

Smaggles

Smash Cadet
The g&w we actually see in game is the falling survivors from the "fire" game and watch game.

Considering they're supposed to be representations of humans, and the fact that there is essentially an infinite amount of them, I see them more as a race. I've always thought of the g&w we play as kind of a clown since he does act kind of silly in nature, but with a care free feel to what he does.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I've always seen Mr. G&W as a very simple character who lives for each moment. He's very spontaneous, as his logic is completely erratic to others. He has little to no restraint sometimes, just doing things spur of the moment.
Mr. G&W is also kind-hearted person, who fights for his friends (:4myfriends:), but due to the fact that he has no real perception of right and wrong, anybody and everyone could be his friend one moment, and an enemy the next. Just don't hit him, and you'll get along just fine.

TheBuddyAdrian

Smash Cadet
NNID
thebuddyadrian
I think Mr. Game and Watch is a clumsy goofball. just look at his walk animation! He uses random objects to fight like bug spray and boxes!

Smaggles

Smash Cadet
I think Mr. Game and Watch is a clumsy goofball. just look at his walk animation! He uses random objects to fight like bug spray and boxes!
The objects aren't exactly random. He uses items that various g&w characters use in their old games.
The bug spray in particular is from green house, where a pest control game & watch protects plants from spiders and worms.

(sorry for large image.)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
image.jpg

Found that and felt like it would be a good idea to post it here.

Smaggles

Smash Cadet

Found that and felt like it would be a good idea to post it here.
It looks like he's looking around as he walks, as if he were sight seeing trying to figure out what's going on. Probably unintentional, but really amusing.

Spongyoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
spongyoshi
3DS FC
3523-2485-5804
For me,he always has been a joyfull but naïve character! Can believe anybody,don't have much reason but looks always happy,curious,like a sort of little kid and it fits great i think!
And that's what i like with Mr G&W,he's so simple but mysterious you can imagine everything about him!! ... And theses 2 stuff fits the Game&Watch very well! He looks so uncertains of things because he's one of first Nintendo's consoles and looks so simple like his games and you can imagine anything with them since they are so simple!

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I think G&W is just thinking when will he ever be a 3d model. XD

TKDbeast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kyle
He talks with emotions and motions. He's very lovable, but not in the way that someone like ROB or Kirby is. He's quirky. He's freestyle. He's calculative. He's naive. He takes things at a different angle. He doesn't take things seriously. He's serious about the silly things he does. He's so many things at the same time, each one defining him well by themselves.

Last edited:

Rood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rood2790
Through having no defined story, expression or personality, the way you can interpret Game and Watch's character is limitless and that's part of the appeal for me.
I agree with this completely

Sup3rn00b

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sup3rn00b
3DS FC
4398-9309-7838
He's in some weird new dimension where everything is round and not flat. He sees people coming to attack him. So he fights more with self defense than with the intent on harming anyone.

So He mainly uses things he had before this odd shift in dimensions, Over the course of the three smash bros games he's been in though, he has most likely became more accustomed to the world around him, and thus become a better fighter in general.

Tbh though, His "backstory" is up to the player to decide. Is he a guy from Judge?Is he from Greenhouse? is he the guy from Ball? I dunno. Heck, he could even secretly be you.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This is my favorite thing about Mr. Game & Watch. He is such a simplistic creature.

ShinyReptar

Smash Rookie
I see Mr. Game and Watch as the embodiment of video games in general. He is also the only character in smash who is actually aware of the fact that he's not in control of his body, but doesn't seem to really mind. He's just there do do what he does best, and that's being in a video game

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I think G&W is just thinking when will he ever be a 3d model. XD
Amusingly, he does have a 3D model its just that its flattened to look 2D. Just throw him to see his 3D model.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Guys! I was thinking about this the other day and it all makes so much sense now!

Why is there no such specific character from the G&W series named 'Mr.Game and Watch'? Why can M.G&W summon all of these objects from games that have no cannonological connection? Why exactly doesn't he have any concept of right and wrong? Isn't it obvious?

Mr.Game and Watch is the god of his universe.

Gdubs is, in fact, every single character from his series. The chef, the judges, the mole whacker, the firefighters and the people they are rescuing all at the same time. These are all just expressions and manifestations of his mind. He is the demiurge of flatzone, the sole inhabitor in truth, and this uniquely explains why he is amoral. No one or thing else has ever existed in his probably eternal lifetime, he has never had to interact with anything external. He has only lived a life of created dolls, golems really, of his mind and playing out scenarios in his imagined world out of boredom. Without even knowing that other minds independent of his own even existed, he would have never had to consider what rightness or wrongness is.

Naturally, this all changed when he was ripped from his universe by the Master Hand...

BBC7

Smash Ace
I don't know why, but Mr. Game & Watch strikes me as a rude person who can't reflect on it verbally, so he has to do so through extreme acts of violence.

1. He utilizes insect repellent as a weapon which can, in fact, harm mammals which is what most of the roster is composed of. Bug spray contains a chemical called DEET which can interfere with enzymes, which are vital for the nervous system. Too much bug spray can kill you, and Mr. Game & Watch uses it in such a way that fatalities are to be expected. (Jab)

2. In combat, he tends to pull out a chair that he uses to smack his opponents with. Chairs are obviously quite heavy, to the point where even a WWE superstar can be seriously hurt by a chair, let alone a frail creature like Jigglypuff or someone who is physically unfit such as King Dedede. Heavier characters may be able to take it, but the weaker side of the roster will be in excessive pain. (F-Tilt)

3. While flags are likely not as excessive, he obtains this flag from a pirate. Pirates are known for their violent nature so the fact that Mr. Game & Watch uses these pirate flags shows that he either has connections with pirates or is one himself. (U-Tilt)

4. Manhole covers tend to be large, circular, and metal. This would clearly injure someone seriously because it would be very heavy. By pulling manhole covers out of the ground, he also makes it easier for someone to accidentally fall in a manhole which are very unsanitary places. (D-Tilt)

5. Torches are flammable and Mr. Game & Watch seems to know this very well, as he tends to use a lightened torch as a deadly means of fighting in case it is necessary. This is not just a regular torch, however. This torch appears to be relative to the size of most characters in the game. Quite a large fire could be created, and burning to death is not a pleasant way to die at all. (F-Smash)

6. This attack requires headbutting with a scuba helmet. Considering that Mike Webster still died of CTE despite being impacted while wearing a football helmet shows that almost everyone is put at risk of CTE since they wear almost no protective headgear while taking heavier headgear head on. (U-Smash)

7. Bones would likely break if anyone is caught under the impact of a relatively large hammer while grounded. Broken bones might not be enough to kill you all of the time, but it certainly puts you in a position where burning to death or dying of DEET is practically inescapable. (D-Smash)

8. Using a fish bowl to attack is dangerous. Not only is there the risk of glass breaking and potentially cutting into someone, there is also the risk of spilling water that could cause slipping to occur. If that's not enough, we have proof that our little friend enjoys taking part in sadism, as there are fish in the bowl that likely end up dying since they are released from the bowl where they will lack water. (Nair)

9. He uses a package which could contain anything. A practice used by most criminals is to hide items in a place where no one would expect. It is highly unlikely that a simple, empty package packs such a blow as it does in Smash. (Fair)

10. These turtles are likely not regular turtles. From their respective game, they are heavy enough to support what we assume to be humans which is not possible for the average turtle. Since this turtle is clearly capable of killing as seen in Smash Bros, we can assume that it is a biological weapon which would mean that Mr. Game & Watch has some sort of connection with an illegal seller as he should not have access to a biological weapon based on the behavior observed. (Bair)

11. Let us take the time to realize that just by blowing, he is able to kill. This certainly must imply some sort of enhancement that further supports the illegal connections that he may or may not have. For most organisms, the process of converting oxygen into carbon dioxide usually doesn't involve literally killing other organisms. (Uair)

12. The same key is used to save Donkey Kong Jr, who was likely to be a villain which is why he was captured by the heroic plumber, Mario. By still using this key, he is showing rebellion towards heroes and support for the evil. (Dair)

13. His "food" is somehow capable of damaging others simply by coming in contact with them. Since the food is clearly meat, that implies that what he is dishing out comes from cows that were made for biological warfare since beef shouldn't be literally harmful. That, or the pan contains dangerous chemicals that give the food dangerous qualities. (Neutral B)

14. He judges others when only God can judge ya. Also, he self-harms himself every time he pulls out a 1, which demonstrates that he is an insane masochist. (Side B)

15. The fire department is somehow convinced to work on Mr. Game & Watch's side despite the fact that Mr. Game & Watch could potentially be a pyromaniac. Many of the best criminals are also very deceptive, like when Walter White was having dinner with the DEA despite being in the drug business. (Up B)

16. When crude oil comes in contact with your skin, it burns your skin as well as increase carbon dioxide emissions which will make it difficult for you breathe. Basically, your flesh would burn off as you gasp for air, only to eventually die because of how much oil is spilled on you by Mr. Game & Watch. (Down B)

17. Similar to the U-Smash, this gives him protective headgear while the opposing side is likely not protected properly from the concussion he may possibly receive. (Dash Attack)

18. He is able to effortlessly juggle an opponent like a ball, which would be extremely difficult to do against someone in real life, even if your performance was steroid enhanced. He may have mutated himself in order to gain super-natural strength, like what he did to his turtles or his farm animals. (Grab)

Wait...what if his 2D figure is all a mutation as a result of testing that was done on him in order to make him stronger? Could he have been 3D before?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't know why, but Mr. Game & Watch strikes me as a rude person who can't reflect on it verbally, so he has to do so through extreme acts of violence.

1. He utilizes insect repellent as a weapon which can, in fact, harm mammals which is what most of the roster is composed of. Bug spray contains a chemical called DEET which can interfere with enzymes, which are vital for the nervous system. Too much bug spray can kill you, and Mr. Game & Watch uses it in such a way that fatalities are to be expected. (Jab)

2. In combat, he tends to pull out a chair that he uses to smack his opponents with. Chairs are obviously quite heavy, to the point where even a WWE superstar can be seriously hurt by a chair, let alone a frail creature like Jigglypuff or someone who is physically unfit such as King Dedede. Heavier characters may be able to take it, but the weaker side of the roster will be in excessive pain. (F-Tilt)

3. While flags are likely not as excessive, he obtains this flag from a pirate. Pirates are known for their violent nature so the fact that Mr. Game & Watch uses these pirate flags shows that he either has connections with pirates or is one himself. (U-Tilt)

4. Manhole covers tend to be large, circular, and metal. This would clearly injure someone seriously because it would be very heavy. By pulling manhole covers out of the ground, he also makes it easier for someone to accidentally fall in a manhole which are very unsanitary places. (D-Tilt)

5. Torches are flammable and Mr. Game & Watch seems to know this very well, as he tends to use a lightened torch as a deadly means of fighting in case it is necessary. This is not just a regular torch, however. This torch appears to be relative to the size of most characters in the game. Quite a large fire could be created, and burning to death is not a pleasant way to die at all. (F-Smash)

6. This attack requires headbutting with a scuba helmet. Considering that Mike Webster still died of CTE despite being impacted while wearing a football helmet shows that almost everyone is put at risk of CTE since they wear almost no protective headgear while taking heavier headgear head on. (U-Smash)

7. Bones would likely break if anyone is caught under the impact of a relatively large hammer while grounded. Broken bones might not be enough to kill you all of the time, but it certainly puts you in a position where burning to death or dying of DEET is practically inescapable. (D-Smash)

8. Using a fish bowl to attack is dangerous. Not only is there the risk of glass breaking and potentially cutting into someone, there is also the risk of spilling water that could cause slipping to occur. If that's not enough, we have proof that our little friend enjoys taking part in sadism, as there are fish in the bowl that likely end up dying since they are released from the bowl where they will lack water. (Nair)

9. He uses a package which could contain anything. A practice used by most criminals is to hide items in a place where no one would expect. It is highly unlikely that a simple, empty package packs such a blow as it does in Smash. (Fair)

10. These turtles are likely not regular turtles. From their respective game, they are heavy enough to support what we assume to be humans which is not possible for the average turtle. Since this turtle is clearly capable of killing as seen in Smash Bros, we can assume that it is a biological weapon which would mean that Mr. Game & Watch has some sort of connection with an illegal seller as he should not have access to a biological weapon based on the behavior observed. (Bair)

11. Let us take the time to realize that just by blowing, he is able to kill. This certainly must imply some sort of enhancement that further supports the illegal connections that he may or may not have. For most organisms, the process of converting oxygen into carbon dioxide usually doesn't involve literally killing other organisms. (Uair)

12. The same key is used to save Donkey Kong Jr, who was likely to be a villain which is why he was captured by the heroic plumber, Mario. By still using this key, he is showing rebellion towards heroes and support for the evil. (Dair)

13. His "food" is somehow capable of damaging others simply by coming in contact with them. Since the food is clearly meat, that implies that what he is dishing out comes from cows that were made for biological warfare since beef shouldn't be literally harmful. That, or the pan contains dangerous chemicals that give the food dangerous qualities. (Neutral B)

14. He judges others when only God can judge ya. Also, he self-harms himself every time he pulls out a 1, which demonstrates that he is an insane masochist. (Side B)

15. The fire department is somehow convinced to work on Mr. Game & Watch's side despite the fact that Mr. Game & Watch could potentially be a pyromaniac. Many of the best criminals are also very deceptive, like when Walter White was having dinner with the DEA despite being in the drug business. (Up B)

16. When crude oil comes in contact with your skin, it burns your skin as well as increase carbon dioxide emissions which will make it difficult for you breathe. Basically, your flesh would burn off as you gasp for air, only to eventually die because of how much oil is spilled on you by Mr. Game & Watch. (Down B)

17. Similar to the U-Smash, this gives him protective headgear while the opposing side is likely not protected properly from the concussion he may possibly receive. (Dash Attack)

18. He is able to effortlessly juggle an opponent like a ball, which would be extremely difficult to do against someone in real life, even if your performance was steroid enhanced. He may have mutated himself in order to gain super-natural strength, like what he did to his turtles or his farm animals. (Grab)

Wait...what if his 2D figure is all a mutation as a result of testing that was done on him in order to make him stronger? Could he have been 3D before?
So when Peach scolds him, is he only pretending to feel bad?

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
He is like a developing child. He is utterly confused about everything that is going on and doesn't have the capacity to understand it completely. For the same reason, he decides to play along with the Smash universe, as it seems fun to do so.

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I think the personalities of characters in smash are defined by the players who are using them. You can come off as being quirky or cocky with just about any character.

The only reason i even bother using g&w in this game is to be as quirky as possible in fg. I usually start a match out by ducking in place, wandering around, or down smashing repeatedly. Most of the time my opponent is so confused they don't even attack me at first.

One time a captain falcon tried to fp me while i was goofing off at the beginning, so i ducked it and attacked him while running away and acting like i was scared of him because he attacked me (i even avoided the legde when he got knocked off stage =P). It gave the fight a narrative for me that made it very fun, and that's why i love gw. He's tons of fun to play.

Going off of that god theory I saw a bit above, my friend and I had a theory that Game and Watch is like a 2D Avatar (the last airbender one), Fire being his torch, water being his fishbowl, earth being his turtle, and air being his... Toot Toot thing.

To me, Mr. Game and Watch is this embodiment, this fusion of all characters from the Game and Watch games into one. He is a quirky being who finds himself in a strange 3D world filled with 3D characters and polygons. He of course would be confused, but thankfully the game takes place on a 2D plane, so he has no trouble getting around. He has no concept of these other, foreign, 3D chatacters who all seem like they want to fight, so he pulls from his many games to act in self-defense. As he continues existing in this series, he begins to become more aware of what his purpose is, and thus is a better fighter in each game (just a few more buffs please, daddy Sakurai?). He is easily manipulated, as said in Brawl, so he can befriend and be-enemy anyone. He can fight for his friends as much as Ike can, yet also can be more sinister to his enemies than Villager. Remember, he's two dimensional, in both form and thought; just don't hit him, and everything will be alright.

I love his walking animation because he looks like he's checking out where he is more than focusing on the <insert character here> staring him down. When he runs, it seems like he is simply jumping around, loving this world he's in, relishing his journey throughout it. His idle animation makes me giggle all the time due to the random little movements he has, looking behind him, doing a little jump like his previous taunt in Brawl, etc. My favorite animation is his duck, since he literally lies FLAT on the ground. It's the most disrespectful thing in the game to simply duck under a jab or smash attack, just him looking at his opponent looming above him, briefly contemplating the world around him, before popping back up in the opponent's face with a beautiful 9 counterattack.

What sold me to play him was his complex personality in his simplistic style; a flat, free-spirited, happy-go-lucky being that loves every frame of this game. Just like me!

Top Bottom