• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Talk!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What's your guys take on the Academy Awards nominations? I'm surprised Tarantino did not get in for Best Director. Almost seems like action movies/comic book films always get slighted one way or another.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I pay zero attention to that stuff nowadays. It's just an industry circle jerk, it has nothing to do with actual artistic merit. festivals like Cannes and Venice and Berlin are much better for rewarding artistry over politics and oscarbait

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, I know the original was bad. It's one of those so bad it's entertaining movies, though.

The new one didn't feel innovated to me, I've seen the plot a thousand times before.

It almost felt like a video game. Get to the top of the tower, kill the boss.

The scope of the movie felt off. The original felt more grand, and futuristic.

Kal

Smash Champion
Saw "The Last Stand" and "Zero Dark Thirty." The Last Stand was not bad. It was a fun movie, but I wouldn't write home about it. Zero Dark Thirty was amazing. Except watching Andy Dwyer shoot Osama Bin Laden has made Parks and Rec a little weird for me.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Saw Mary & Max after I had it recommended to me. Love it, great children's film with some adult humor. I'm a sucker for stop motion. Stop motion is the greatest motion of all time.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I agree. There was too much Tony Stark and not enough Ironman. Although I think I'd call it better than a 5... 6.5?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So this month's free Redbox code was used to get Cloud Atlas... what were people's impressions of this film? I personally enjoyed it for various reasons, and at the same time was disappointed for other reasons.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
well... hm.

I enjoyed the approach, but... I wanted more elaboration of the future settings. I suppose it's my natural reaction. When dealing with historical periods, and present day periods, there isn't so strong of a need to know everything about that period, because I already know enough about the past and present to fill in the gaps. But when it comes to futuristic periods, like say, a hundred or two hundred years from now, I can't shake the need for wanting to know everything about that time period, because I have little to go on except what I can deduce.

Overall the movie did a good job in splicing together past present and future events despite the timing being a little awkward in some parts, but I felt a little out of touch with the future periods because it just seemed like such a huge leap. And the signifying endeavors that linked each time period didn't always lead directly to the state of affairs in that time period. Some connections were subtle, a button off someone's shirt finding itself to be a keepsake hundreds of years later, for instance. There's multiple grades of connections in other words, strong connections would be ones such as the replicant turned messiah. Weak connections would be ones such as the button.

Then on top of that you have the interconnections of roles. The evil one, the hero, etc. In each instance evil is portrayed by the same actor. The hero is portrayed by different actors, and then the one actor whose characters go from evil to good (this being the example of how one can change over time and over reincarnations.)

Anyway I did like it as I said, I just wished such a large spanning tale with so much to say and such a unique way of saying it wasn't forced into a 3 hour time slot because even still the movie seemed to drag in parts and I think it'd have been far more successful a story telling had it been in a mini-series or at the very least a trilogy of movies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Did anyone see Man of Steel yet? I haven't, but it does seem like so many people are split on it. I guess it's one of those love it or hate it movies.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I actually think it was okay/average. You can definately see nolans influence, and the effects and action scene is very great. Its very different from the earlier superman movies, and superman does allot of things he would never do in the earlier movies, so I think the split is mostly earlier superman fans dont like it, and the new generation of viewers who might not have a relationship with superman enjoying it more.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought it was one of, if not, the best super man movie ever made.

Though I agree Superman was a very different character than I'm use to. The amount of destruction in the movie is almost to the level of being comical it's so extreme.

Superman would have taken the fight OUT of the city

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Man of Steel was a bit of a disappointment for me, though I did still like it. Personally, I found their approach to Lois Lane a bit insulting to the source material.

Obviously, the action was superb, what with modern effects able to fully capture the power of the characters from Superman (I personally don't mind big budget CGIfests at all), and I felt that Henry Cavil did a good job as Superman (obviously a hard role for anyone to take on). Everyone else fell squarely into the "okay" acting category for me, except for the other Kryptonians (Zod and his crew) especially Zod and Faora (who has to have some of the sexiest eyes I've ever seen, seriously).

I thought the use of flashbacks throughout the movie was interesting but a bit disjointed, we miss out on a lot of development when we already have a fairly well-adjusted man then showing his dark and troubled past (personally I was a fan of Batman Begins using the old Jaws rule of never showing the "main attraction" until halfway through the movie). Personally, I'd rank it behind Superman and Superman 2, but far ahead of the likes of Superman Returns and 3/4.

But yeah, Amy Adams was awful as Lois Lane. grumblegrumble.

I haven't seen many Superman movies, but I understand the bar isn't set very high
On the contrary, I believe Superman and Superman 2 (the Richard Donner cut) to be two of the finest superhero movies ever produced, and one of the finest films in general in regard to the first.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787

This thread needs to be stickied. Not many people are talking about movies and separate threads of one movie is not as encouraging to post on as this one. Anyways, here's a trailer of Godzilla to those who are curious. I thought it wouldn't be as exciting, but this was just hype.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Godzilla is the movie I'm saving my first Dbox viewing for

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Godzilla is the movie I'm saving my first Dbox viewing for
I'm actually going to see that in theaters as a birthday present.

Also, it's confirmed The Incredibles is finally getting a sequel (and so is Cars not sure who really saw that 1 coming), so Incredibles fans rejoice Disney/Pixar has finally answered our prayers, in other news we're also getting 3D re-releases of the 1st Incredibles film along with Ratatouille (I don't know why Ratatouille is getting a 3D release, since I 1st though the movie was already released in theaters in 3D).

Last edited:

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer

Enemy is a pretty cool movie. It's one of the few (if not the only) movie I've seen that's shot in Toronto that's actually set in Toronto. It's about a guy played by Jake Gyllenhaal who discovers and bit part actor in a movie that looks identical to him. It's a slow-paced thriller in the vein of Mullholland Drive where you're alternating between "alright I think I get what's going on" and "What the hell is going on?" and you gotta think about the little details to piece together what it's about. Check it out if that sounds like your kinda thing.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Saw GODZILLA (2014) on release day. All around a good film. Certainly better than GODZILLA (1998)

Top Bottom