• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movie Racial Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm just saying, there is a reason Black Panther made 1.3 billion dollars.

If you serve underrepresented demographics with a good product, they will come.

That's it. That's all there is to it.
There's a gazillion other reasons why the movie could've done well. People genuinely liking the film could've been one of them.

Representation matters, whether the audience is 8 or 80. There are enough white stories to go around.

All stories have "messages," whether they're intentional or not.
Well, this sort of representation really shouldn't matter. I'd like to think black people can still like a movie starring a white cast and vice-versa.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I’d rather be acute
We all out here just being isosceles

edit: WHY AM I IN A THREAD WHERE DID THIS COME FROM I DIDNT ASK FOR THIS AAAAAAA

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Representation matters, whether the audience is 8 or 80. There are enough white stories to go around.

All stories have "messages," whether they're intentional or not.
That isn’t a good mind set to have, regardless of your stance.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
That isn’t a good mind set to have, regardless of your stance.
Sure it is. There is no threat in the foreseeable future of stories involving white people vanishing. Just look at most of the Marvel movies. They are the "default" of our media and society.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm just saying, there is a reason Black Panther made 1.3 billion dollars.

If you serve underrepresented demographics with a good product, they will come.

That's it. That's all there is to it.
Good product... is the main reason imo.

Edit:
Uh... I only have one quote about the movie so... really?
I am gonna cut the post to only part that's about the movie, if this still violates the rule please,please let me know.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Representation is useful in the mind of alienated people.

If you need to be represented, you should ask yourself a lot of questions, because something is wrong with you. If you can't identify to a character who is different from you, you are the problem. People asking for black cast movies are stupid, just like people asking for white cast movies. Ask for good movies instead. Asking for the same **** but with black dudes instead of white dudes is stupid.

And thinking that Black Panther killed the box office because "muh representation" is naive. It killed the box office because it's a marvel movie and because of the dithyrambic reviews (even though it's a bad as the rest of the MCU).

If you really want a black cast without a white dude because you can't identify to a white, first you have an issue with race, second, watch an African movie.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
All I'm gonna say is that I don't know anyone who's gone to see a movie just because of the main character's skin color.

I promise you that there are dozens of other qualities that people can relate to in a character, such as how the character grew up or how he struggles with fitting in. Being white/black doesn't automatically make you relatable, and if you're someone who thinks otherwise, someone who can't look past the outward appearance, then that's something in your life you need to address.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
All I'm gonna say is that I don't know anyone who's gone to see a movie just because of the main character's skin color.
If you look at the history of American movie and television viewership you absolutely find that on a certain level a particular show could be too white or too black or too hispanic etc. and market strategy was fundamentally driven by and with these attitudes in mind.

Today is only different because it's profitable (finally) for minority casts. But really this control goes for sex... and storytelling even. To even be able to get a movie or show in front of America audiences requires a understanding of this unfortunate past and acceptance that in order to get your message out you have to cater to an audience.

Further reading

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/weekinreview/19barnes.html?_r=1

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If you need to be represented, you should ask yourself a lot of questions, because something is wrong with you.
Are you seriously suggesting that the only reason minorities want to be represented in the media is that something's wrong with the minorities?

Klimax

Smash Ace
Exactly, because you shouldn't identify to a group of people, you're an individual, which is far more interesting. People shouldn't think like if they were a part of a community, it's not productive at all. Also, talking about "white people" or "black people" is foolish, a poor black dude has nothing in common with a rich black dude. Communities based on skin color are a joke, it's not what makes people different.

If you can't live without having representation in the medias, yup, something is wrong with you. When I'm in Asian country or an Arabic country, I don't care about people who happen to look like me to be represented. I know that I'm a minority in their country, I adapt and enjoy what their country has to offer.

Same goes for movies, I'm a white straight dude but I have no problem to enjoy a movie staring a transgender black woman with only one leg, because as long as it's interesting, I don't give a damn about her not looking like me. If you absolutely need people to look like you and not having a different opinion than you, yes, something is wrong with you.

Last edited:

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Exactly, because you shouldn't identify to a group of people, you're an individual, which is far more interesting. People shouldn't think like if they were a part of a community, it's not productive at all. Also, talking about "white people" or "black people" is foolish, a poor black dude has nothing in common with a rich black dude. Communities based on skin color are a joke, it's not what makes people different.

If you can't live without having representation in the medias, yup, something is wrong with you. When I'm in Asian country or an Arabic country, I don't care about people who happen to look like me to be represented. I know that I'm a minority in their country, I adapt and enjoy what their country has to offer.

Same goes for movies, I'm a white straight dude but I have no problem to enjoy a movie staring a transgender black woman with only one leg, because as long as it's interesting, I don't give a damn about her not looking like me. If you absolutely need people to look like you and not having a different opinion than you, yes, something is wrong with you.
That's not how humans work though. Humans identify with groups because they tend to share the same interests and there's strength in numbers. This leads to an in-group preference where you prefer people who are in the same group as you, whether it's your race, religion or even the video games you like.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Things are heated here, and I get it. Cars 2 was indeed an embarasment on Disney/Pixars part, and even lead to me skipping several Disney/Pixar films for years to cone including Cars 3, but theres not many other racing movies out there that I know of that reach the quality and soul of Cars 1. The real issue here seems to be that the creativley bankrupt suits at Hollywood only want sequels to recognizable properites, leading to no variety we see in movies. Maybe if they put more faith into new properties, wed have more variety in movies, and therefore more racing movies in general. But thats my take on it. EDIT- Misread thread title as "Movie Racing Discussion"

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Don't think I have to explain why Black Panther is the best selling solo movie of the franchise who's primary audience is the whole family
IMG_20190821_235031.jpg

For those of you thinking it's shallow, consider how shallow you must be yourself for being unhappy at the mere thought some kid saw a resemblance to them. Don't take my word for it though, it's the reason why Anthony Mackie took the role of Falcon. This **** is so simple, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are up there with Iron Man 3 as the most succesful MCU solo movies because a large chunk of tje population got interested for the same reason the kid in the comic took a liking to Cyborg

Klimax

Smash Ace
That's not how humans work though. Humans identify with groups because they tend to share the same interests and there's strength in numbers. This leads to an in-group preference where you prefer people who are in the same group as you, whether it's your race, religion or even the video games you like.
It is how alienated humans work*
If you (you being impersonal here) prefer a white character only because you are white, then you're a ****in idiot.
Actually, when you're not narcissistic, you tend to be more interested by people who are different than you.

Don't think I have to explain why Black Panther is the best selling solo movie of the franchise who's primary audience is the whole family
View attachment 235311
It lacks so much subtlety that it hurts.
And it's naive to think that Captain Marvel and Black Panther are successful for something else than the crazy advertisement that they both received. These movies suck (just like the rest of the MCU). What are the differences between Captain Marvel, Black Panther and Captain America ? Outside of their skin color and what they have between their legs, nothing.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
View attachment 235311

For those of you thinking it's shallow, consider how shallow you must be yourself for being unhappy at the mere thought some kid saw a resemblance to them. Don't take my word for it though, it's the reason why Anthony Mackie took the role of Falcon. This **** is so simple, Black Panther and Captain Marvel are up there with Iron Man 3 as the most succesful MCU solo movies because a large chunk of tje population got interested for the same reason the kid in the comic took a liking to Cyborg
Black panther was decent. And captain marvel was mediocre. Are you serious?

But with that said, I get both sides. On one hand, one says we need diversity to express the themses of “tolerance”, “inclusion” and “diversity”.
On the other hand, one says we need to forget those themes and focus on crafting a good story. Regardless of how the characters look.

One of these are mostly right, and the other is kinda right... but very skewed and warped.
Let me explain:
In order for a movie to be a classic good movie. It is IMPERATIVE the story telling is good consistent. However, movies are entertainment. Entertainment is pop culture. Pop culture is the people. So movies must represent the PEOPLE. And craft story books that can relate to their viewers. The problem we see nowadays is movies relate more to their corporate woke culture social media entities, rather than crafting a story for their audience.

It’s really simple. Comic creator should be in tune to the feelings of their BUYERS, largely regardless of “woke” culture, and dish out products they think their fans will really love.

Reactions: Voe

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Black panther was decent. And captain marvel was mediocre. Are you serious?

But with that said, I get both sides. On one hand, one says we need diversity to express the themses of “tolerance”, “inclusion” and “diversity”.
On the other hand, one says we need to forget those themes and focus on crafting a good story. Regardless of how the characters look.

One of these are mostly right, and the other is kinda right... but very skewed and warped.
Let me explain:
In order for a movie to be a classic good movie. It is IMPERATIVE the story telling is good consistent. However, movies are entertainment. Entertainment is pop culture. Pop culture is the people. So movies must represent the PEOPLE. And craft story books that can relate to their viewers. The problem we see nowadays is movies relate more to their corporate woke culture social media entities, rather than crafting a story for their audience.

It’s really simple. Comic creator should be in tune to the feelings of their BUYERS, largely regardless of “woke” culture, and dish out products they think their fans will really love.
I am indeed serious. Black Panther is currently the 11th highest grossing movie of all time, with the Avengers movies, the super huge crossover movies, being the only Marvel movies to perform better. Captain Marvel's in a similar position too, but with Captain Marvel being the twentythird highest grossing movie of all time, with the only Marvel movies between it and Black Panther being Iron Man 3 and Captain America Civil War. I never brought up critical reception so the movies being decent or mediocre don't matter, because that doesn't change how they're literally in the top 25 best selling movies of all time. Even if the quality of these movies are lower than others, they have to have done something right, being 'woke' works and that's why most of the upcoming MCU projects are keeping the trend as it's brought the most money outside most of the movies featuring the MCU's mascot

J.I.L

I am indeed serious. Black Panther is currently the 11th highest grossing movie of all time, with the Avengers movies, the super huge crossover movies, being the only Marvel movies to perform better. Captain Marvel's in a similar position too, but with Captain Marvel being the twentythird highest grossing movie of all time, with the only Marvel movies between it and Black Panther being Iron Man 3 and Captain America Civil War. I never brought up critical reception so the movies being decent or mediocre don't matter, because that doesn't change how they're literally in the top 25 best selling movies of all time. Even if the quality of these movies are lower than others, they have to have done something right, being 'woke' works and that's why most of the upcoming MCU projects are keeping the trend as it's brought the most money outside most of the movies featuring the MCU's mascot
What... I just looked it up. HOW in the world did captain marvel make so much money. Same with black panther.
The few reviews I saw on youtube... said the movies were AT BEST: Okayish good. Captain marvel being more medicore.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=captain+marvel+review
LOOK AT IT ^. Most of all the reviews aren't good. How does captain marvel make so much money? Who's watching it? Most be a liberal deep state operation. Back door finance compensation so people are paid to watch the movie for articfical inflated gross income. Wouldn't be surprised.

And my girl, even if you say it's making money: you have to admit this "woke" hollywood movie thing is toxic to the integrity of movies in general and for the future. And they aren't even woke...it's just propaganda. What's "woke" is exposing cultural marxism and the globalist deep state. That's woke. This is nonsensical propaganda that's, ironically, aiding the real things you should be "WOKE" against.

J.I.L

User was warned for this post: double post
No. The movie was bad. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8IoTMPEiw
Go to 3:30 and you’ll captain marvel literally only got a 35% review from the audience who commented on it. The movie was average at best.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The few reviews I saw on youtube
That's such a tiny, biased sampling. You might as well say you heard people calling in in your shock jock's show and they all hated it, so it must be bad.

J.I.L

That's such a tiny, biased sampling. You might as well say you heard people calling in in your shock jock's show and they all hated it, so it must be bad.
And the fact it has a majority disapproval in fan reviews on rotten tomato. Like honestly, what’s good about captain marvel movie other then special effects? Didn’t her character actor also say something about “white men” shouldn’t be the main audience seeing her movie? Like, dam.... what the hell is wrong with Hollywood these days? Can’t these people like shut up about politics and make good movies with a-political story lines and jokes? Especially the actors. Oh my gosh, privileged people talking about things they most obviously don’t look to know what the hell they are talking about - usually then adored by non privileged person who dislike privileged people (or at least privileged people who don’t fall in line with their beliefs which, ironically, were inspired probably by priveledged people). Obsurdity and degeneracy are what those “woke” actors are to me. And also brainwashed.

Hopefully when they lose 2020, those actors get the hell out of the country. (Maybe then we can start to fix the manure, poverty and poop littered streets across California cities. Now I wonder what type of politics rule Californian cities that allow such disgustingness? *shrugs*) who am I kidding, they won’t put their money where their mouth is because those ultra millionaires worship mammon probably. And they known America gets them the most money. They’ll continue their “woke” outrage while collecting the mega million checks and their fans will continue to believe them as “good” people for the “cause” and continue to buy/watch/support their products.

Lool. I find it lunacy. But whatever. The afterlife probably won’t be pleasent for most of them... but that’s a topic for another thread.

P.S - I actually can’t be too mad, at those who may buy their products. Since they usually hijack very coveted things like comic movies etc. and some of them are actually talented in their profression but just look brain washed on politics.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Note: I changed my answer to be more relevant.

I am actually bothered in some way by modern efforts at attaining fairness of representation in entertainment, despite being a member of a disadvantaged group. Perhaps I should not be bothered, but to me, it seems like a reservoir that is impossible to fill, and the efforts often seem artificial and insincere. I would rather people focus their efforts at helping on the individual level, rather than trying to change a perception that is here to stay. If as many people as attempt to change a perception instead focused on helping individuals regardless of their skin color, gender, etc., then you would NOT NEED to change any perceptions, as this would occur naturally as people lend helping hands. So in short, film representation of deliberately under-represented groups alone is skin-deep at best, with underlying sentiments remaining the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom