• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moves with such a low hitstun you can get punished even if you land them.

spiritlvl

Smash Rookie
I don't get why this is a thing. Have you ever land an attack during the starting percents, but you still get punished instead of having the advantage for actually being the one to land the hit?

Jigglypuff is a big example of this. Any character with a decent jab can punish any of jiggly puffs aerials at the start. Roy for example can actually punish puff's instant fair with a jab or grab before puff's first actionable frame from the fair. It's already hard enough as it is to land attacks in this matchup with Roy's superior range, but once you finally do, Roy can just jab/grab for free unless you retreat immediately after getting hit. I've tested this in the lab. At 0%, if you land a Fair on Roy, Roy can hit you with jab before puff's Fair end lag even ends. The only option for puff with this move is to retreat immediately after landing the hit.

It's not just jigglypuff, I've experienced this with other characters where I land a hit and get immediately hit by a tilt or jab before I can even do my next move. Of course this is all irrelevant at higher percentages. I just find it a bit tilting when landing a hit gives you a negative frame advantage when it should be vice versa during the early % phase

Last edited:
Top Bottom