• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Movement help?

NC Bastion

Smash Rookie
I'm usually a PM player, but I started with melee. So I need help with a problem 2 years of practice couldn't solve: my horrible movement. I adapted to PM's physics really easily, but it feels like I'll never get used to Melee's. If you don't know what I mean, Im talking about up-smashing when I want to short hop uair, twirling around like an idiot instead of dash dancing, and full hopping instead of wavedashing.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
I'm usually a PM player, but I started with melee. So I need help with a problem 2 years of practice couldn't solve: my horrible movement. I adapted to PM's physics really easily, but it feels like I'll never get used to Melee's. If you don't know what I mean, Im talking about up-smashing when I want to short hop uair, twirling around like an idiot instead of dash dancing, and full hopping instead of wavedashing.
It's really just practice and getting used to it. Just spend fifteen minutes a day trying to do the things you suck at and you'll get better.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like you are playing with lag. Do you have a crt? Also do you play Fox, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Lucario, MK, Pika, Samus, Sheik, Sonic, or Tink?

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
It sounds like you are playing with lag. Do you have a crt? Also do you play Fox, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Lucario, MK, Pika, Samus, Sheik, Sonic, or Tink?
Even with lag all of the inputs he mentioned are more learning the timing, less reacting to a screen. And if he's using FM (Which he probably is) the speeds are probably comparable to crt.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Even with lag all of the inputs he mentioned are more learning the timing, less reacting to a screen. And if he's using FM (Which he probably is) the speeds are probably comparable to crt.
He's been playing for 2 years so i doubt he's just learning the timing. The reason I named those characters is because they all have 3 jump squat frames so can be hard to handle at a fast placed level of play.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
bboss is right concerning jump-squat things, make sure your characters didn't have different values in Melee.

As for twirling around, that is a result of missing a 1 frame input. You have to be fast when trying to dash in the opposite direction that you are facing (you have 1 frame, that's it). This is why you see most players dash the way they are facing before dashing the other way. If you don't smash the stick in 1 frame you have to wait for the turn animation then you will dash (turn animation can range from 5 frames to 9 frames depending on character). The silver lining is that after AC landings and L-cancels you can buffer a smash turn (opposite dash) much easier.

Basically you just need to play the game a lot more to get the feel for it. Also highly recommend checking out Kadano's vid on Melee movement and his others as well.

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
Here's what's probably at the heart of this issue: PM has a buffer.

So, in case you're not aware of what that means --
In Melee, if you input an action, but you're in lag from something else, nothing will happen. No matter what. Every action ONLY counts on the frame it is pressed. For instance, if you're in jumpsquat and you press A, you won't Nair when you leave jumpsquat -- nothing will happen (besides the jump).

In Project M, the buffer lets actions happen a few frames after if you're still in lag. For instance, if you're in jumpsquat and you press A, as long as you leave jumpsquat within a few frames, you will Nair on the first possible frame. I'm not sure exactly how long the buffer is, but I believe it's something like 3 frames.

This means that in Melee, you're probably making a lot of inputs a tiny bit before they SHOULD be made. It's not the physics that messing you up -- it's the timing.

I would recommend trying to play slower for a bit in Melee, and speeding up over a few days until the timing for things like this are natural to you. Once you start Up-smashing instead of doing a short hop Uair, you know you're trying to go too fast.
If you wanna speed up the process a bit, don't play Project M for a few days while you practice getting the timing down in Melee. Eventually, you'll be used to the timing in Melee, and your Project M playing won't really be affected much at all (since it's more lenient with you).

Sorry if that got confusing at all :) Hope it helps!

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure exactly how long the buffer is, but I believe it's something like 3 frames.
The physics delay is 1 frame (minimum) between the JumpSquat and LandingSpecial animations.

you will Nair on the first possible frame. I'm not sure exactly how long the buffer is, but I believe it's something like 3 frames.
This is proven by Falcon being able to knee nearly immediately after an A+Z press offstage.

NC Bastion

Smash Rookie
I play Roy, Fox, and Samus
And yes I do play on a crt

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Just practice dd into wd into dd into wd into dd. That's basically melee's movement oversimplified. Gotta have the muscle memory good before you can use it practically.

Top Bottom