• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Move Apex to Los Angeles in the future.

Raoh

Smash Cadet
On some real **** thou weather here is great and I imagine it's a lot easier on top Japanese players who would want to go.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Moving Apex to a safer area should be considered. Florida would be great for it. Any other state that has few earthquakes and no snowfall with few tornados are ideal after all that has happened to Apex. Changing the date would fix snowfall obviously. I think Apex should move as New Jersey is quite random.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think Florida would be great. Aside from hurricane season, Florida really has no downsides.

EDIT: Also hot.

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I think Florida would be great. Aside from hurricane season, Florida really has no downsides.

EDIT: Also hot.
Florida is nice and cool in January. In fact its kind of cold. Scheduling Apex in January completely avoids hurricanes

Plus Florida has bonus destinations to visit like theme parks. Downside of Florida would be the fact that plane tickets would probably be higher because of Florida's theme parks haha.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Florida is nice and cool in January. In fact its kind of cold. Scheduling Apex in January completely avoids hurricanes

Plus Florida has bonus destinations to visit like theme parks. Downside of Florida would be the fact that plane tickets would probably be higher because of Florida's theme parks haha.
I'd pay more to have snowstorms and death of events avoided, lol

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
The fact that apex was in new jersey wasn't the problem. The problem was the clarion hotel, who promised apex staff the hotel would be a suitable venue for hosting the event. I filmed a documentary that captures all the bs that went down, the preview to which can be found here
Sneak Preview: Apex 2015, the tournament that almost wasn't: http://youtu.be/VLP_r6zvyuc
Full doc going up in about a week.

We as a fighting game community need to take a stand and say it's not ok for venues to make promises they can't deliver on.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
The fact that apex was in new jersey wasn't the problem. The problem was the clarion hotel, who promised apex staff the hotel would be a suitable venue for hosting the event. I filmed a documentary that captures all the bs that went down, the preview to which can be found here
Sneak Preview: Apex 2015, the tournament that almost wasn't: http://youtu.be/VLP_r6zvyuc
Full doc going up in about a week.

We as a fighting game community need to take a stand and say it's not ok for venues to make promises they can't deliver on.
Didn't the Apex TO say they were going to press legal charges against the venue?

Senliten

Smash Lord
In the back room, sleeping with the waifu
NNID
Senliten
Honestly at least switching the location up would be nice for a change, and will bring more locales that wish they could attend, a shot at seeing what apex is all about. However, I do hope the apex staff review and learn from this situation down to a microscopic level. Especially their last minute contingency that was merely luck and contribution from its community, to have it even be pulled off.

Last edited:

Raoh

Smash Cadet
Should upgrade from a hotel to a convention center and find an electronics corporation to sponsor their brand of TVs.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Should upgrade from a hotel to a convention center and find an electronics corporation to sponsor their brand of TVs.
That'd be nice, but I don't think anyone makes CRTs anymore. But maybe if a TV company marketed a 'gaming tv' or something that you could change native resolution for / use black magic to fix lag issues.

Would it be feasible to have Apex at a different location every year? I'm sure it would bring new people in if one of the biggest nationals came to them. I wouldn't be able to resist, and I'm sure I could've talked a lot of my friends into trying the competitive scene for the first time.

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Apex staff where you at? This should really be discussed. Scheduling a tournament for January (winter) and said tourney being in a state with snowstorms is not a great option.

Vortex 4

Smash Cadet
Apex is a tournament run in the northeast, just because it's the biggest doesn't mean it should move.
If you want the biggest smash tournament in Florida, Las Vegas, etc. then do one yourselves.
There's no rule that Apex HAS to be the biggest.

Also, weather happens wherever you go, yeah there are freak snowstorms in New Jersey sometimes, there's also hurricanes in Florida, earthquakes in California, and without continuously draining the water supply, the population of Las Vegas would die of thirst.

There's a lot of talented dedicated smashers here in the northeast that worked hard to make Apex what it is, and they should be proud to represent their region.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Apex is a tournament run in the northeast, just because it's the biggest doesn't mean it should move.
If you want the biggest smash tournament in Florida, Las Vegas, etc. then do one yourselves.
There's no rule that Apex HAS to be the biggest.

Also, weather happens wherever you go, yeah there are freak snowstorms in New Jersey sometimes, there's also hurricanes in Florida, earthquakes in California, and without continuously draining the water supply, the population of Las Vegas would die of thirst.

There's a lot of talented dedicated smashers here in the northeast that worked hard to make Apex what it is, and they should be proud to represent their region.
Y'all should be liking this, cuz that's the smartest, most accurate, most concise thing any of us has said so far in this conversation.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
weren't quite a few flights delayed/cancelled due to impending snowstorm? Hotel having a damaged structure was obviously a bigger problem, buuuut
That's true, and maybe i'm not being subjective because i live in New Hampshire, so it was only a 5 hour drive, which on the scale of how far some people traveled to that even't, really isn't much. I was about to type "but really, how productive could a conversation on smash boards about moving apex be, seeing as how that wouldn't get it to move" but then again, if there was a massive public outcry to host apex somewhere else, then it might happen. I think the important thing we should focus on is how the clarion basically screwed us. yeah, they had absolutely nothing to do with the weather, but they promised they could host more than they could, and they just didn't deliver. They also had a lot of mold in some rooms, and many other problems. I think the lesson the smash community needs to take away from that weekend is that we need to be a united front against hotels and hosts trying to screw us like clarion did. Clarion stood to make a lot of money off that convention, thus they promised what they couldn't deliver. It's going to be the focus of my upcoming documentary (link in an above comment of mine).

Last edited:
Top Bottom