• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I don't want to drop Dedede, i spent so much time learning him it would feel like a waste to just drop him completely. Maybe i'd demote him as a rotation character, but i don't want to fully give up on him, because quite frankly, no one else feels as satisfying and easy to click with.

Also his whiffing hitboxes make more sense now.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Hi, I'm Red. I'm here to talk about the king. And the king I shall talk about.

As for what WaddleKing said, it's highly understandable to demote Dedede. I may not have much to contribute because I mainly play Dedede because I love him, but it's hard to land a decent combo with him. He mainly relies on big hits and sometimes you want to just link a chain together. I've been looking at other characters myself, and while I've taken a high liking to Donkey Kong for his spike potential and overall mobility, Dedede feels like the kind of character you need to hit hard and fast. I've honestly been liking how easily Mario can link attacks with little problem, but I haven't really played many of the other characters on the roster too often to get a feel of them. You're free to your decision, but I recommend perhaps finding a rotation character with good combo potential, someone like Duck Hunt or maybe Mr. Game and Watch? I don't play the game competitively too often, so I may not be of use, but it's fine either way on what you decide to do.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Hi, I'm Red. I'm here to talk about the king. And the king I shall talk about.

As for what WaddleKing said, it's highly understandable to demote Dedede. I may not have much to contribute because I mainly play Dedede because I love him, but it's hard to land a decent combo with him. He mainly relies on big hits and sometimes you want to just link a chain together. I've been looking at other characters myself, and while I've taken a high liking to Donkey Kong for his spike potential and overall mobility, Dedede feels like the kind of character you need to hit hard and fast. I've honestly been liking how easily Mario can link attacks with little problem, but I haven't really played many of the other characters on the roster too often to get a feel of them. You're free to your decision, but I recommend perhaps finding a rotation character with good combo potential, someone like Duck Hunt or maybe Mr. Game and Watch? I don't play the game competitively too often, so I may not be of use, but it's fine either way on what you decide to do.
Welcome to the D3 boards, Red. Good to have you here! When you have a minute be sure to check out the Research thread for all kinds of lovely D3 tech :)

First know that everyone has something to contribute! Whether you just play for fun or want to spend hours labbing things, there's always a place for people here. Also do join us in our D3 discord, lots of live talk happens there (see the READ THIS FIRST thread for the link).

Second, Dunk Hunt and G&W are horrible examples of combo characters. Sheik, Fox, Pikachu - those are combo characters. Important difference :)

abx

Smash Journeyman
I have a very soft spot for Ness and Lucas, but in the end I always return to the king and I prevail with him where I failed with the Mother boys before. This sheds a questionable light on my Ness/Lucas performance, but this gets relativated a bit considering the casual platform I'm playing at. Anyway, I agree with Redandgreen. If I were to set out to find a new main character, I'd be struggling with overcoming King Dedede.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Best vertical survivability doesn't do all that much when you're combo'd harder than anyone else in the game. But I agree, a F3 aerial wouldn't be the best of buffs for D3. However even a functioning Utilt + Gordos harder to reflect wouldn't fix his issues. The penguin can't play keepaway AND gets wrecked up close, that's what happens with hitboxes and overall ground/air frame data this bad. First we need things like Jab not being unsafe on hit, Dtilt actually having a close-range hitbox, etc - then we're just getting started lol
See red.

After reading through these boards a little bit (Lurker here, hi :p) and messing with the Penguin myself once awhile back, I've learned some sad stuff here and there about this character but... What? Can People SDI out of it or something?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
See red.

After reading through these boards a little bit (Lurker here, hi :p) and messing with the Penguin myself once awhile back, I've learned some sad stuff here and there about this character but... What? Can People SDI out of it or something?
Welcome, and good to hear from you! Unfortunately, opponents don't even have to SDI to get out of Jab. The first hit has such bad endlag that it doesn't true combo into Jab 2 except at higher %s and a VERY specific range. Opponents can shield after BEING HIT by it, block Jab 2, then punish with killing smash attack of choice. See gif below.

Don't forget that when done at point blank range in some circumstances, opponents can actually end up behind you on hit. Yeah it's pretty bad. So add it all up: a broken Jab, no close hitbox on our only fast ground move (Dtilt), no faster disjointed aerials, and a Dash Attack that's too slow to use as a 50/50 grab/attack mixup from a run, and D3 really just can't play neutral or mount offense like others can.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
God, going from this to the Zelda social thread is a funny change. We're so sad here lamenting about Dedede's flaws, but you guys should totally check out the Zelda social thread, it's hilarious.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
God, going from this to the Zelda social thread is a funny change. We're so sad here lamenting about Dedede's flaws, but you guys should totally check out the Zelda social thread, it's hilarious.
Oh yes! The Zelda social is absolutely hilarious. Zelda has been buffed so many times but her playstyle just isn't good in the competetive meta we have now, so the Zeldas seem to know that their character is beyond help, and they kinda just turned their social into a meme social. I even somewhat know the best Zelda in SoCal, and he is just like everyone in that social, even in person. Oh and remember, BAN ZELDA

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Oh yes! The Zelda social is absolutely hilarious. Zelda has been buffed so many times but her playstyle just isn't good in the competetive meta we have now, so the Zeldas seem to know that their character is beyond help, and they kinda just turned their social into a meme social. I even somewhat know the best Zelda in SoCal, and he is just like everyone in that social, even in person. Oh and remember, BAN ZELDA
Don't forget what happened recently with Shakira!

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Guys I found something hilarious. Look at the people whining about Dedede in the comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwxAJLY7OA0
OH MY GOD that's actually incredible what the casuals think of Dedede. This is honestly probably why we have only been nerfed and never buffed. A lot of casuals complaining about him. Let me get a few quotes here:

"He's way too heavy and fast for his weight. BS frame rates. . . He can float, attack, and land before most characters can even grab."

"His dash fall can litterally kill even if u are nowhere near him, his hammer is tremendously annoying, it can hit without even making contact"

"It's not easy to deflect that Gordo even with projectiles. . . and his smashes have literally no endlag"

I don't know whether to laugh or be depressed that this is probably why we have been nerfed and not buffed

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
OH MY GOD that's actually incredible what the casuals think of Dedede. This is honestly probably why we have only been nerfed and never buffed. A lot of casuals complaining about him. Let me get a few quotes here:

"He's way too heavy and fast for his weight. BS frame rates. . . He can float, attack, and land before most characters can even grab."

"His dash fall can litterally kill even if u are nowhere near him, his hammer is tremendously annoying, it can hit without even making contact"

"It's not easy to deflect that Gordo even with projectiles. . . and his smashes have literally no endlag"

I don't know whether to laugh or be depressed that this is probably why we have been nerfed and not buffed
I was completely taken off guard. Acestarthe3rd himself I understand his reasoning. He generally doesn't like characters until he plays them, and he hates his personality. The comments on the other hand are absolutely crazy. They make no sense. Like, I think his F Smash has little end lag, but the other two? You must be joking. FAST. FAST. He has the worst air speed, one of the worst air acceleration speeds, the 51st slowest running speed. He has horrible frame data, fastest move is tied Nair/Down Tilt. Frame 7. His Dash Attack can be grabbed. GRABBED. And the one thing that confirms him as a casual player is this. "His hammer can hit without making contact" first off it's the other way around most of the time, and secondly, DEDEDE HAS MASSIVE DISJOINTS. Like Shulk. Gordo can be reflected with one jab from Mario. That's the smash equivalent of saying 2+2=? Is impossible. It's so painful to read. On the bright side, it's also hilarious.

abx

Smash Journeyman
To be fair I trust that the balance team is a bit more insightful so I don't believe that such YT comments were the reason for the lack of buffs.

abx

Smash Journeyman
I didn't write that the balancing is perfect. I find it more reasonable to assume that the balance team simply failed to comprehend these flaws as the smash community does due to a lack of inerrancy. Or that they have something else in mind (FFA matches). I prefer believing this to the line of thought that the balance team's mistakes are based on the vocal fallacies posted in social media which the team mindlessly adapted. The mere difficulty of balancing a game of >50 units adds to it.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Wait, I just realised something. He said "He's way too heavy for his weight". WHAT
Yeah none of these guys were even very literate. Also he probably meant frame data instead of frame rates. Also "litterally" is not how you spell literally, and both guys who used it misused the word.
To be fair I trust that the balance team is a bit more insightful so I don't believe that such YT comments were the reason for the lack of buffs.
okay yeah these guys obviously had no idea what they were talking about, but this kinda signifies the overall opinion of the people who just play this game for fun. Almost all of them think that Dedede is unfair and OP. Probably due to survivability, power, and ability to induce salt, which is like the only things that matter to casuals. And there are a lot more casuals than competetive players. Usually casuals agree with competetive players when saying a character needs nerfs or buffs, but not for Dedede (or Jigglypuff for that matter), which may have contributed to our current information.

Last edited:

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Because Smash 4 is such a balanced game right?!
:4jigglypuff::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4cloud::4sheik::4samus::4zss: are all equal, right!?
That's kind of a cynical way of looking at the game's balance, though.

You have to consider what many people consider to be top 15 or 20 or whatever. Characters ranging from Sheik to ROB to Ike, Meta Knight, or Mewtwo have all taken tournaments. Even D3, a character widely considered to be bottom 5-ish, has taken tournaments. We have a game where roughly 20 characters are considered viable in some form or another, and many others that have proven to be able to make a stand in the meta as well. Compare this to the likes of Melee where you're kinda lucky to see anything past the top 8 or so, and whose bottom tiers have a much larger gap in terms of their viability from the top tiers.

So no, Jiggs isn't as good as Sheik, but somebody is inevitably going to end up as worst in the game. 4 or 5 characters out of over 50 having poor results is not a bad thing at all. Especially considering that we got here from the early days where Diddy, Sheik, and Rosalina had all of their dumb tools still completely intact and Sonic's back throw was taking names at 90%.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
That's kind of a cynical way of looking at the game's balance, though.

You have to consider what many people consider to be top 15 or 20 or whatever. Characters ranging from Sheik to ROB to Ike, Meta Knight, or Mewtwo have all taken tournaments. Even D3, a character widely considered to be bottom 5-ish, has taken tournaments. We have a game where roughly 20 characters are considered viable in some form or another, and many others that have proven to be able to make a stand in the meta as well. Compare this to the likes of Melee where you're kinda lucky to see anything past the top 8 or so, and whose bottom tiers have a much larger gap in terms of their viability from the top tiers.

So no, Jiggs isn't as good as Sheik, but somebody is inevitably going to end up as worst in the game. 4 or 5 characters out of over 50 having poor results is not a bad thing at all. Especially considering that we got here from the early days where Diddy, Sheik, and Rosalina had all of their dumb tools still completely intact and Sonic's back throw was taking names at 90%.
True, true. It's just that Jigg has been completely forgotten about and the support is doing nothing. That's what I hate. At least Dedede has some amazing tools. Jigg has almost nothing.

The Royal Gardener

Smash Rookie
Hello, everyone! I'm The Royal Gardener, a Dedede main with Olimar as my secondary. I've been doing things here and there on the research and tech thread over the past few months, but I forgot to properly introduce myself before. I have been playing D3 for a little over a year now, and I absolutely love him! He is not typically viewed as one of the better characters in the roster, but I have been striving to prove that he is still better than what most players give him credit for. I hope to help out as much as I can in this community, and I look forward to talking with a lot of you here!

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Hello, everyone! I'm The Royal Gardener, a Dedede main with Olimar as my secondary. I've been doing things here and there on the research and tech thread over the past few months, but I forgot to properly introduce myself before. I have been playing D3 for a little over a year now, and I absolutely love him! He is not typically viewed as one of the better characters in the roster, but I have been striving to prove that he is still better than what most players give him credit for. I hope to help out as much as I can in this community, and I look forward to talking with a lot of you here!
Welcome aboard to Mt.Dedede. This is more of a social thread so go and talk about anything you want. Despite what we've been saying, this is more of a fun part of the site than a technical one. Hope you enjoy. P.S great to see an Olimar user.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
I've dropped Dedede to secondary status to focus on my Toon Link more. Although I'll likely be using him just as much as Tink cause he's amazing. I needed an excuse to bring this thread back to life...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Give it time.
No one becomes "mature" overnight, at the least you wouldn't be able to convince people that were the case in a short period.

But yeah, say to the right people you're going to work on stuff and hope to come back someday in the near future. Show it / prove it by not making a huge fuss about it all.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Give it time.
No one becomes "mature" overnight, at the least you wouldn't be able to convince people that were the case in a short period.

But yeah, say to the right people you're going to work on stuff and hope to come back someday in the near future. Show it / prove it by not making a huge fuss about it all.
I guess you could say... Time Heals

ThisIsntNotMetal

Banned via Warnings
NNID
metal00111
somethings wrong with smashcord, it wont let me go to the server list, it says 404 not found when i click on a section. Its probably an issue with chrome because it works on firefox

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
*Post above offering people to join a discord gets a "User was warned for this post".
You have to be so careful on this site to not get warning, like really? I got a warning for spouting foul language which was certainly well deserved, but this?! It's funny in the saddest way

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
yeah i dont get it either lol
I think she meant she misread your post and gave you a warning on it. I pointed out how ridiculous this was since you were merely asking for people to join a discord and she said she misread it. I then mentioned my profile picture typing out my response for me because it looks like Toon Link with a "Are you f***ing kidding me"

Top Bottom