• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Hello, guys. Sorry for being inactive here and not visiting. Job, Discord, Family, and time to myself so I hope u guys had a good Christmas and New years.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Sorry for being inactive here and not visiting. Job, Discord
Yeah, there's been a lot of dreamy luiginess in Discord.

Darkness
Its like a plague that never goes away,
Or an animal and its pray,
It waits...
And waits...
And waits...until you're ready,
Then closes in and devours you...
From the inside out.
ALL you see is shadows of the ones you once knew,
No more happiness,
No more laughter,
No more love,
Its like a thunderstorm that blocks your soul.
Your soul becomes a black hole,
Whatever said, heard, or learned,
Is forgotten, never brought up again,
No longer does anything matter,
Its all darkness,
Like a plague that never goes away.

Source: http://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/darkness#ixzz3w6rxJ7HB
#FamilyFriendPoems

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Same goes with me, lately have only been playing Xenoblade X, so I'm just going to give a delayed Happy Christmas and Happy New Year right there.
Going on the current subject; let's get things in order:
  • Rosalina doesn't use telekinesis but gravitokinesis: bottom line is, if you make anything rise with telekinesis you are creating a force upward to oppose gravity that brings the object down, with gravitokinesis you alter gravity itself surrouding the object, if you were to compress the comet observatory with telekinesis, you would need to push everything around it toward the center, instead of just increasing its gravity, and even then, objects don't circle around stuff with telekinesis not spontaneusly at least, as that needs a costant pulling force;
  • Actually using muscles doesn't imply that all the force came from the strenght, at highest levels of gravitokinesis, telekinesis, psychokinesis, pyrokinesis ecc. it is possible to make a force able to propel one's limbs or any part of the body, like putting rokets on their back, increasing his force and ths his impact as a result. Mewtwo's UTilt has speed coming uniquely from his psychokinesis, for istance;
  • For the point above, I just think that there's no border line for Rosalina using strenght or powers, as she uses the latters as conditionated responses, in fact she even uses them in her idle stance.

Last edited:

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Same goes with me, lately have only been playing Xenoblade X, so I'm just going to give a delayed Happy Christmas and Happy New Year right there.
Going on the current subject; let's get things in order:
  • Rosalina doesn't use telekinesis but gravitokinesis: bottom line is, if you make anything rise with telekinesis you are creating a force upward to oppose gravity that brings the object down, with gravitokinesis you alter gravity itself surrouding the object, if you were to compress the comet observatory with telekinesis, you would need to push everything around it toward the center, instead of just increasing its gravity, and even then, objects don't circle around stuff with telekinesis not spontaneusly at least, as that needs a costant pulling force;
  • Actually using muscles doesn't imply that all the force came from the strenght, at highest levels of gravitokinesis, telekinesis, psychokinesis, pyrokinesis ecc. it is possible to make a force able to propel one's limbs or any part of the body, like putting rokets on their back, increasing his force and ths his impact as a result. Mewtwo's UTilt has speed coming uniquely from his psychokinesis, for istance;
  • For the point above, I just think that there's no border line for Rosalina using strenght or powers, as she uses the latter as conditionated responses, in fact she even uses them in her idle stance.
She does use telekinesis, it says so in MarioWiki. And also, why not say both? Rosalina can use telekinesis and gravitokinesis, and there's nothing wrong with having more than one type of powers. Most of her Comet Observatory gets it's power from power stars, they are like battery. And Rosalina's uses her wand as a remote to channel the platforms/objects. When Rosalina flies, she does use gravitokinesis, but if you played Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, you'll see Rosalina using telekinesis to levitate her ball. Same with Golf Tour where she lifts the golf club, using telekinesis. Astrology can strongly relate to Rosalina since she spends most her time in outer space, theres a reason to have telekinesis.

P.S, latter is an adjective, so I don't know what you're using it to describe.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
P.S, latter is an adjective, so I don't know what you're using it to describe.
I was referring to "powers". Even in her idle stance she uses gravitokinesis, indicating that it is a habit of hers to use it.

And I'm still not buying that she has telekinesis, mainly becuse 1. It doesn't fit with the space theme like gravitokinesis and 2. One wouldn't want to master gravitokinesis and telekinesis altogether, even if she didn't choose them, it still makes no sense for her to have two powers fill almost the same role.
And she has three type of powers already, wich are gravitokinesis and cosmokinesis and warping.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
I was referring to "powers". Even in her idle stance she uses gravitokinesis, indicating that it is a habit of hers to use it.

And I'm still not buying that she has telekinesis, mainly becuse 1. It doesn't fit with the space theme like gravitokinesis and 2. One wouldn't want to master gravitokinesis and telekinesis altogether, even if she didn't choose them, it still makes no sense for her to have two powers fill almost the same role.
And she has three type of powers already, wich are gravitokinesis and cosmokinesis and warping.
If we assume she's the Cosmic Spirit, what kind of word can you create for controlling other people? Is this part of cosmokinesis? And I'm sure telekinesis and gravitokinesis are part of cosmokinesis (even though that name makes me wonder what it literally means... "moving the cosmos"?). And is telepathy part of cosmokinesis? Is creating platforms and structures cosmokinesis too (like when she creates the Gateway to the starry sky)? Observing people from afar is part of it too? Where is creating shield and being gigantic too? And her echoing voice? And her wand that disappears and reappears, like in her Smash trailer where she has it just at the end, or in Galaxy 1 when she speaks, she doesn't have it and gets it afterward. And those are real questions.
My boredom made me make this, from what you said:

Rosalina's powers
Type | Name | Used in
Cosmokinesis | Flying/Floating | SMG1/2, MKWii, SM3DW, MP:IT, MP10, MG:WT, SSB4, P&D:SMBE, MT:US
| Levitating things/people | SMG1, SSB4, MT:US
| Creating hurting cosmic dust | SM3DW, SSB4
| Creating holograms | SMG2, the Mario Manga
| Shooting stars rain | MG:WT
| Creating launch stars | SSB4
| Manipulating gravity (hers and others') | SSB4
| Using Power Stars | SSB4
| |
Don't know | Being giant | SMG1
| Echoing voice | Every games where Laura Faye Smith doesn't voice her
| Warping | SMG1, MG:WT, SSB4
| Creating shields | SMG1/2, SM3DW
| Wand appearing in hands | SMG1, SSB4
| Shining/Creating useless sparkles | SMG1, SSB4, MT:US
| Transforming things | P&D:SMBE
Did I miss any ability? I sure could, and even games where said ability is used.
(yeah and I wrote her echoing voice)

EDIT

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina has a ton of powers so it's really hard to pin it down to archetypes like that.

I mean she has Water powers too, because of Puzzles & Dragons. Light too, though I always associated her with that anyway. But at the same time, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to say Rosalina has powers of darkness, especially due to the cosmic aesthetic of her attacks in Smash and how she is using them destructively. It's also similar to some of Mewtwo's powers, and he is indeed a Psychic/Dark type Pokémon.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33

Don't forget her force field and telepathy.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Rosalina is still an amazing character regardless of what kind of powers she has. I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I'll be finally going to a tourney again tomorrow. Check out Ho3K's stream for Nebulous . I have a lot of confidence this time ; ) . Also I'm teaming with Ninjalink for dubs and he's been like my best teammate along with Vinnie back in the day

Idunno if you all talk about tourneys here but meh I was hyped lol

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
It's also similar to some of Mewtwo's powers, and he is indeed a Psychic/Dark type Pokémon.
Actually Mewtwo is just Psychic (or Psychic Fighting in Mega X forme). The one theory for the Darkness attacks in Smash is that it is actually Aura Attacks (he learns Aura Sphere in the home series), but it is just corrupted by the cruelty in his savage heart.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually Mewtwo is just Psychic (or Psychic Fighting in Mega X forme). The one theory for the Darkness attacks in Smash is that it is actually Aura Attacks (he learns Aura Sphere in the home series), but it is just corrupted by the cruelty in his savage heart.
Well, regardless, I tend to associate "flinging cosmic matter and galaxies and spacial distortions in your face", with being a more darkness oriented power. Which is why I think Rosalina has powers representative of both light and darkness.

Which actually makes a lot of sense, since she's a cosmic deity. Since light and darkness are both crucial elements of the cosmos, it makes sense for Rosalina to have control of both.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
For how I see it, she uses Gravitokinesis whenever she moves stuff around and when I say Cosmokinesis, I'm not referring to manipulating cosmic entities but rather manipulating the blue-to turquoise energy, that I assumed being cosmic energy, and got further confirmation of that when some of it got starred in Smash 4. It just feels natural that the origin of that form of energy are the stars; at the time and still right now, it's also the same color of Mario's Spin, as well as the same of the Maximum-powered core of the Observatory, and the trail of stuff that builds before you ecc. , all in the same theme. Then warping came in as I couldn't associate it with the other two.
Simple as that.
On a side note, I just think that the echoing voice is because of the influence of the above cosmic energy, along with the sudden change of colors she got after accepting her role in the storybook.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
For how I see it, she uses Gravitokinesis whenever she moves stuff around and when I say Cosmokinesis, I'm not referring to manipulating cosmic entities but rather manipulating the blue-to turquoise energy, that I assumed being cosmic energy, and got further confirmation of that when some of it got starred in Smash 4. It just feels natural that the origin of that form of energy are the stars; at the time and still right now, it's also the same color of Mario's Spin, as well as the same of the Maximum-powered core of the Observatory, and the trail of stuff that builds before you ecc. , all in the same theme. Then warping came in as I couldn't associate it with the other two.
Simple as that.
On a side note, I just think that the echoing voice is because of the influence of the above cosmic energy, along with the sudden change of colors she got after accepting her role in the storybook.
Not trying to be mean, but did you search up the definition of "Telekinesis"? (Again, not being mean.) Also, are you just making up words using *kinesis* at the end of every element? If you are not, then I'd like to see the definitions. For example, if I said I had "Flowerikinesis" that doesn't mean I can magically do magic involving flowers. And I apologize if you found this offensive, but the way you rephrase it is confusing. Are you a scientist?

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
All in a day's work
lmao? Since when Echoing voice is a power?

It's just more characterization if anything , lost by the way , but it's 2016 , who cares anymore...?
I'm not the one who wrote this, y'know
Did I miss any ability? I sure could, and even games where said ability is used.
(yeah and I wrote her echoing voice)
I wouldn't call it a power myself, in fact.
Not trying to be mean, but did you search up the definition of "Telekinesis"?
Well, I go on a turbo research whenever I'm typing something I'm unsure of, telekinesis just means "doing anything, as long as you use mind to do so", it's not just creating vectors actually, but that's another story.
Also, are you just making up words using *kinesis* at the end of every element? If you are not, then I'd like to see the definitions.
Gravitokinesis is the manipulation of the gravity, the force that attracts two bodies with mass. For this reason, whenever it's used to move an object, the object's mass doesn't alter the effort needed.
Cosmokinesis refers to manipulating the force of cosmos, and with that I don't mean directly controlling nebulas, dark matter, comets and stuff, but rather their energy, and, as I said above, I'm prone to believe that the azure energy Rosalina wields is this energy. Y'know the one that in Marvel Comics is called Power Cosmic, just that there Galactus could employ that energy to do almost anything cuz why not.
For example, if I said I had "Flowerikinesis" that doesn't mean I can magically do magic involving flowers
It doesn't, just because its actual name is Anthokinesis(Anthos=Greek for Flower).
Are you a scientist?
Nope, I just have the habit of rephrasing stuff in this not-so-clear way.

Last edited:

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Not trying to be mean, but did you search up the definition of "Telekinesis"? (Again, not being mean.) Also, are you just making up words using *kinesis* at the end of every element? If you are not, then I'd like to see the definitions. For example, if I said I had "Flowerikinesis" that doesn't mean I can magically do magic involving flowers. And I apologize if you found this offensive, but the way you rephrase it is confusing. Are you a scientist?
Actually, you wouldn't say "flowerikinesis", but rather "phytokinesis". You take Greek words to begin the word ending with "-kinesis".
Kinesis actually means "movement of an organism in response to an external stimulus", telekinesis: creating movement from afar.
Gravitokinesis: creating movement thanks to gravity manipulation. Cosmokinesis is built like pyro-, aero-, hydro-, cryo-, phyto-, chrono-, electro- and geokinesis: moving the cosmic energy to use it.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Cosmokinesis is built like pyro-, aero-, hydro-, cryo-, phyto-, chrono-, electro- and geokinesis
Pyrokinesis=Fire
Aerokinesis=Wind
Hydrokinesis=Water
Cryokinesis=Ice (Elsa)
Phytokinesis=Leaf
Chronokinesis=Time (Doctor Who)
Electrokinesis=Electricity
Geokinesis=Earth

And due to what MezzoMe said, phytokinesis isn't good for replacing flowerikinesis, the correct term is anthokinesis due to an ability to form flowers. And also,
Dry Banana Hippy Hat.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Pyrokinesis=Fire
Aerokinesis=Wind
Hydrokinesis=Water
Cryokinesis=Ice (Elsa)
Phytokinesis=Leaf
Chronokinesis=Time (Doctor Who)
Electrokinesis=Electricity
Geokinesis=Earth

And due to what MezzoMe said, phytokinesis isn't good for replacing flowerikinesis, the correct term is anthokinesis due to an ability to form flowers. And also,
Dry Banana Hippy Hat.
You're right. I've also found on the Internet the names "florakinesis" and "agrokinesis".

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Rosalina is still an amazing character regardless of what kind of powers she has. I'm just gonna leave it at that.
Still interesting to make terms for those though...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You mean canons right? I'm only interested, but never really taken those seriously.
Canon isn't made up. Canon is what actually happens/what is official. For example, "Rosalina is the mother of the Lumas".

Then, headcanons are things that aren't technically official yet, but not exactly made up either. They are scenarios or "facts" about a character that haven't happened or been confirmed, but they are based on knowledge that is canon. For example, if I said, "Rosalina would be a lovely mother figure to Lucas from Mother 3 and he would be drawn to her", then that is a headcanon, because although it's not canon and never happened, it makes sense for it to happen if there was a story involving the two, based on their canon backstories and portrayals. Smash arguably sort of makes headcanons for characters, including Rosalina. For example, Smash is the only game where Rosalina is described as having a universe beneath her gown, but it's not that unreasonable a conclusion to make considering the mastery over the cosmos and magic she has displayed in Mario games, effectively playing the role of god, and how most of her powers revolve around the cosmic theme anyway.

Then the stuff that's just totally made up and contradicts canon is called "fanon". The Game Theory about Rosalina being Peach's daughter is an example of fanon (it tries to be a headcanon but since it's so poorly conceived and contradicts so much canon material, it's deemed as fanon).

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Actually it's not ''poorly conceived'' considering there's a couple of interesting stuff backing up what the theory stands for.

I couldn't care less for it , but in the end it was pretty interesting. After all Rosalina was suppoused to be related to Peach in some way , and in the end , ironically , the stick with the desing that looks closer to Peach.

There's no surprise if some could believe that the 2 are related in some way as they were originally suppoused to be , and Rosalina looks and now sounds closer to Peach.

Then again , with how poor stories are in the Mario series , i highly doubt they care enough to make more ties for Rosalina with other characters outside of the Lumas , it just doesn't matter.

Though , Rosalina being related to Peach in some way could explain why she wears a Crown , discarding other explanations since Rosalina wears it when she is a child too. There's a high chance for Rosalina to be part of the same Royalty Peach belongs to.

But again , it's pretty irrelevant , since at this point Rosalina is the character with less consistency in characterization since she appears mostly in spin off games that are low tier .

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Actually it's not ''poorly conceived'' considering there's a couple of interesting stuff backing up what the theory stands for.

I couldn't care less for it , but in the end it was pretty interesting. After all Rosalina was suppoused to be related to Peach in some way , and in the end , ironically , the stick with the desing that looks closer to Peach.

There's no surprise if some could believe that the 2 are related in some way as they were originally suppoused to be , and Rosalina looks and now sounds closer to Peach.

Then again , with how poor stories are in the Mario series , i highly doubt they care enough to make more ties for Rosalina with other characters outside of the Lumas , it just doesn't matter.

Though , Rosalina being related to Peach in some way could explain why she wears a Crown , discarding other explanations since Rosalina wears it when she is a child too. There's a high chance for Rosalina to be part of the same Royalty Peach belongs to.

But again , it's pretty irrelevant , since at this point Rosalina is the character with less consistency in characterization since she appears mostly in spin off games that are low tier .
They didn't stick with the design that looks closer to Peach. Her early design had a face with puffier cheeks, like Peach's, and had a near identical dress.

And yes his theory is poorly conceived, there are a ton of things wrong with it and it's based on things that flat out are not true, such as Rosalina being a former resident of the Mushroom Kingdom, something she never was (she explicitly says her home planet was the Gateway Planet).

Rosalina was going to be related to Peach at one point but considering she was also going to be a one-level character that wasn't that important to Galaxy overall at that point too, that version of Rosalina was essentially an entirely different character that was created by Miyamoto, while final Rosalina was created by Koizumi.

And whether or not Rosalina sounds like Peach now is subjective at this point, as I don't feel she does at all.

And Rosalina's character has been perfectly consistent, they have just added on to what was there.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Canon isn't made up. Canon is what actually happens/what is official. For example, "Rosalina is the mother of the Lumas".
Oh, well, I was meaning headcanons then. They are interesting, but since it isn't official, I only take it with a little grain of salt.
Then the stuff that's just totally made up and contradicts canon is called "fanon". The Game Theory about Rosalina being Peach's daughter is an example of fanon (it tries to be a headcanon but since it's so poorly conceived and contradicts so much canon material, it's deemed as fanon).
That's just because GT likes to use real life science to prove his theory. And once again, it's just a theory, should be only taken with a little grain of salt. And sadly to see many people taken GT's video seriously... what I mean is they always think GT is right.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh, well, I was meaning headcanons then. They are interesting, but since it isn't official, I only take it with a little grain of salt.

That's just because GT likes to use real life science to prove his theory. And once again, it's just a theory, should be only taken with a little grain of salt. And sadly to see many people taken GT's video seriously... what I mean is they always think GT is right.
Even the real life science is really faulty in that video.

He claims Rosalina is left handed, but she's actually quite clearly ambidextrous.

And he doesn't even seem to know the difference between a deciduous and coniferous tree.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Even the real life science is really faulty in that video.

He claims Rosalina is left handed, but she's actually quite clearly ambidextrous.

And he doesn't even seem to know the difference between a deciduous and coniferous tree.
Well, he recently take the right-left hand thing to another theory that Elsa could be Rapuzel's sister. But besides that he also explain it with other reason which does seems to sound legit. But then again, the video leads to a conclusion that we might know in the next Frozen movie.
You should know there is one channel called Gnoggin that was famous foe debunkng GT's video, if you do think that Matt's GT videos have false, I mean big false, I will love to see that video. There has been a lot of debunking GT videos but there's no video debunkeding Rosalina's GT video…
Derp.

..........:alien:..........
?

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well, he recently take the right-left hand thing to another theory that Elsa could be Rapuzel's sister. But besides that he also explain it with other reason which does seems to sound legit. But then again, the video leads to a conclusion that we might know in the next Frozen movie.
You should know there is one channel called Gnoggin that was famous foe debunkng GT's video, if you do think that Matt's GT videos have false, I mean big false, I will love to see that video. There has been a lot of debunking GT videos but there's no video debunkeding Rosalina's GT video…

?
I debunked his Rosalina theory with a post a long time ago.

It doesn't need a video debunking it because it's holes are so obvious that anyone who at least half paid attention to Galaxy should be able to spot them.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I debunked his Rosalina theory with a post a long time ago.

It doesn't need a video debunking it because it's holes are so obvious that anyone who at least half paid attention to Galaxy should be able to spot them.
I'm not really sure about that… and was that post notable around the web? I mean, did you try to post it on reddit?
And debunking GT videos does not mean dislike GT videos, they still have comedies inside.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not really sure about that… and was that post notable around the web? I mean, did you try to post it on reddit?
And debunking GT videos does not mean dislike GT videos, they still have comedies inside.
Well the humour in GT videos is bad anyway so the show has nothing going for it.

I didn't post my debunk around too much because it's impossible to get everyone to see but everyone who has seen it agrees with me.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Actually Rosalina's character has taken a different turn from Super Mario Galaxy.

This is because Mario characters are so simplistic that their voices are one of their biggest feature that gives them Consistency in portrayal.

Cheerful? Mario
Scary and sometimes heroic? Luigi
Loud and Obnoxious but always energetic? Daisy
Gentle , soft spoken and Girly? Peach.
Tough and very greedy? Wario
Nonsensical tough sounds? Bowser
Nonsensical cute sounds ? Yoshi
Nasal and funny? Waluigi

Now Rosalina , where do i put you?

Mature and Motherly? Not anymore.
Cheerful and laid back? Not anymore.

or maybe Gentle ... Soft Spoken and girly? like Peach? Yes.

That's the direction they are going with Rosalina considering that Games that give her a different angle , a more important one , passed already.

MK games? zero depth. 3D World? Everybody acts the same? MP? Everybody acts the same. Mario Golf? Lumas making cameos aren't relevant.

Now i truly don't care about it , mainly because i like Peach. And Rosalina behaving , sounding , or being Blue Peach isn't bothering me since it's irrelevant.

It's not like she sounds identical to her , it's more like the vibe it gives only screams ''Peachy'' , and nothing more beyond that.

Rosalina from back then isn't Rosalina from nowadays.

Rosalina from back then was a cool NPC , that stayed true to herself and was relevant to the game.

Rosalina from nowaways is just the alternative to Peach or Daisy as a newcomer in a spin off.

Tired of Peach and Daisy? Go and play Rosalina. That's basically the main purpose.

They certainly didn't stick to her old portrayal , but ironically All of Rosalina's models have a very wise and composed facial expression , which doesn't match with the ''Whohooo!!!'' that always comes now.

That's actually the thing that bothers me , for example in MP10. Rosalina barely smiles , yet a super Girly sound plays.

Doesn't make sense .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom