• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mother/ Earthbound Social

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I looked quickly over it but im 85% Sure there is no Mother/ Earthbound Thread so i made one!
Here you can disscus Everything Mother!
You can also talk about Mother Content in Smash!
OKAY!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I have greater respect for EarthBound than I do Mother 3. Mother 3 may have better balanced combat and a great conventional story, but EarthBound integrates story and gameplay in a way that few games do even today.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I have greater respect for EarthBound than I do Mother 3. Mother 3 may have better balanced combat and a great conventional story, but EarthBound integrates story and gameplay in a way that few games do even today.
I somewhat agree. Even though I think Mother 3 is an almost infinitely better game in every way IMO but when you consider the time periods both released in it becomes clear that EarthBound (and Beginnings as well) was a lot more innovative.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I somewhat agree. Even though I think Mother 3 is an almost infinitely better game in every way IMO but when you consider the time periods both released in it becomes clear that EarthBound (and Beginnings as well) was a lot more innovative.
Mother 3 was released at a time when games were trying to be movies, so its conventional storytelling is understandable, but it does feel a bit a product of its time in that way.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
By the way the reason why i made this thread is because im playing earthbound with a german/ Mother 2 patch its a pretty great patch for example the Happy Happy Cultists are uncensored AND translated They now have a G on their head!

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
EarthBound is the one I revisit the most, but I love all three games. I would also love to see remakes, especially EarthBound Beginnings since I think there's a lot of room for improvement for that one.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The best thing about EarthBound is that it doesn't really force its story upon you and you have to seek it out for the most part. Sure, Beginnings does the same thing, but EarthBound's story maintains a stronger, yet still subtle presence.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Can someone clarify: does Hobonichi (Itoi's company) own some of the rights to the Mother series?

They've been releasing some merch for the Mother series over time, one of the latest being plushes of the chosen four. If Hobonichi does own some of the IP rights, I'd be surprised considering Nintendo's strictness with their non Pokémon IPs.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Can someone clarify: does Hobonichi (Itoi's company) own some of the rights to the Mother series?

They've been releasing some merch for the Mother series over time, one of the latest being plushes of the chosen four. If Hobonichi does own some of the IP rights, I'd be surprised considering Nintendo's strictness with their non Pokémon IPs.
Itoi is credited in Smash alongside Ape Inc.. This can notably be seen if you look on the underside of the Ness and Lucas amiibos. You will see Itoi's name, meaning that he does have partial ownership of the Earthbound franchise.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Mother 3 has a lot tighter and more direct storyline, but I feel part of the wandering randomness and large open world really played into Earthbound's strengths.

With Earthbound there always feels like there's something else out there, another layer of the story or world, while Mother 3 gives you exactly what it has.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Mother 3 has a lot tighter and more direct storyline, but I feel part of the wandering randomness and large open world really played into Earthbound's strengths.

With Earthbound there always feels like there's something else out there, another layer of the story or world, while Mother 3 gives you exactly what it has.
It makes me wonder sometimes: could Mother 3's story have been told the way EarthBound tells its own story?

EarthBound is light on cutscenes and mandatory dialogue, allowing the player to take in the atmosphere and plot at their own pace, but the story itself is conventional and simple. Mother 3's story is complex and told from multiple perspectives, but the game deemphasizes environmental storytelling in favor of being heavier on cutscenes and mandatory dialogue.

Top Bottom