• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

most useless tech

ande

Smash Cadet
if its not a thread somewhere and you already knew it

if you pause at, i think, the 1st frame when you drop through a platform, you will stand on the platform again.
you can clearly see a different animation than the standing ones.

because in tournament cases, pause is disabled or will cost you a stock, and the tech doesnt do anything practical, its probably the most useless tech that i`ve ever seen in this game

but do think it would be theoreticly possible to do it without pause? since i have my stick in neutral position when i unpause, could this mean if you could flick your stick for one frame to initiate a drop, you wouldnt fall through?

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Y'all talking about drop-canceling, I assume. This is not as useless as y'all think; its cloyingly high difficulty in performing it is what makes the tech very rarely seen in serious battle. The drop-canceling is usually accompanied with an adequately fast aerial attack. If done right, combos can come from it or as yet another mindgame. Other than that, it cannot be done humanly consistently. Y'all would need TAS to pull this off often.

ande

Smash Cadet
thanks for the answer, but i think ti isnt a drop cancelling
im not sure about frames but i think drop canceled attacks come out at the time you would drop through, but the strange pause thing only happens on the i believe first animation when you crouch to drop trough

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
I might write PracticalTAS about this one, but here's my best guess -- and, if I'm right, it IS a drop cancel, just not done in the conventional manner.

In melee, landing happens when a character's ECB moves downwards onto a platform. Whenever you drop through a platform, your ECB stays the same for 10 frames, then updates to whatever you are doing currently. This makes it so that when you drop through a platform, your ECB can't update to above the platform and make you land again on accident.

However, when, for example, a falco drops and performs an immediate bair on the opponent, the falco remains in hitlag for a few frames -- just enough to allow the ECB to update above the platform, allowing you to land again. This is the basic principle of a drop cancel.

I believe that when you pause, it also counts the paused frames. In other words, you drop, immediately pause, and then the ECB updates while you're pausing. You then get a no-impact land. The principle is the same as a drop cancel, but using a pause instead of the hitlag from a move.

Hope that helped!

Learned what I know from this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtiDd5cQWJc

ande

Smash Cadet
thanks for the answer!

this makes me rethink things, i already thought it couldnt be a drop cancel, but i will take a deeper look into this.

what i assume now is that,, it maybe negates the smashed down input from the drop, cause you pause after the first frame, where only the input for crouching has been read, so you just crouch on the plaftfrom instead of droping through, but since the camera angle moves after you unpause, i maybe couldn,t see the crouching animation.
this would only be the case if the crouching animation has the same first frames as the drop through, but im really dont know much about animations.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
The most utterly useless tech move I can think of is Luigi up-b climbing. Unless you play Luigi doubles, it's useless

Rococo

Smash Rookie
then the ECB updates while you're pausing
Wow, ECB updating during pause. That never occurred to me. If that's true, I wonder what other gameplay timers actually continue during pause.

Rococo

Smash Rookie
Ok, update on this after testing. This is actually not caused by pausing at all. If you push down to drop from a platform but then reset back to neutral the next frame, you will only squat and will not drop through. You can also cancel the drop through by performing an action during the squat animation.

Pushing the control stick down and then releasing fully in a frame is TAS-level difficult. By pausing on the first frame of squat, you gave yourself enough time to release the control stick without the game reading the extra frames of you pressing down.

Also, ECB does not update during pause, which is a shame, because that could have some very interesting effects.

Top Bottom