• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most unnecessary Smash Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Most of the time, there is excitement when seeing a reveal trailer for smash bros. However, every once in a while, you think it is a waste of a roster spot. Which characters do you guys feel is unjustified in being in smash 4?
I think:4darkpit:.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
The only valid answer to this is one of either Dark Pit or Lucina. Beyond those two it's honestly not even debatable.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Dark Pit, absolutely. I'm sure he'd be controversial even if his moveset was completely different. Unfortunately, his and regular Pit's movesets are near identical

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
No character is unecessary. Atleast having more characters give us more options and gives their series more exposure.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'd say Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. These two are Zelda and Samus. I'd rather have Zelda and Samus as viable characters. It makes sense for Sheik to be better than Zelda, but it doesn't make sense for Zero Suit Samus to be better than Samus.

"My Power Suit is my greatest weapon. Designed by the Chozo, it boosts all of my natural athletic abilities while providing an array of defensive and offensive attributes. Boasting full armor capable of sustaining ballistic damage, life-support systems, my upgradable Arm Cannon, and Morph Ball capabilities, it truly is a part of me." (Metroid: Other M Art Folio, Power Suit, emphasis mine)

Why is it that if the power suit boosts Samus' natural athletic abilities, that Zero Suit Samus jumps higher and runs faster?

"I prefer to use my Arm Cannon, as it allows me to take out most threats from a safe distance. When circumstances call for it, however, I'm happy to engage the enemy hand-to-hand. The augmented power of my suit lends me extra power in combat-sometimes a well-placed kick is the only way to deal with a grappling Zebesian." (ibid., emphasis mine)

Why is it that Samus' jab lacks hit stun, but you can be certain you'll land all three jabs with Zero Suit Samus? So much for happily engaging in CQC! So much for that augmented power of the power suit! How about we get rid of Zero Suit Samus and give all of her buffs to Samus?

Going back to Sheik, why even have Sheik? She made only one canon appearance and we have seen Imp in more Zelda games. I'd rather have Impa, who is a Sheikah herself. Get rid of Sheik and change up Zelda's abilities so that she's not ****ty. Sure, she gives me trouble, but I'd rather have the original characters have better options. Furthermore, introducing Impa and introducing another Metroid character would not only reduce redundancies, it'd make more characters available without having to increase the large size of the roster.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Awweh, honestly I really would just rather have Nintendo bring Sheik back to relevancy in the Legend of Zelda series and keep both her and her princess self in the game (and make Zelda a decent character, for once, why not).

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
No character is unecessary. Atleast having more characters give us more options and gives their series more exposure.
I get your point. But one character has been enough to bring a character into relevancy. When Pit was introduced in Brawl, it opened him up for Uprising, and even inspired Dark Pit based on his alt. I doubt how Metroid could have survived through their dark period without Samus in Melee or 64. Ness opened America up to Mother and Earthbound, and I doubt that these would be relevant today without Ness' appearence. I think Marth could have done the same with Fire Emblem. Roy was a pretty cool addition as well. And I guess having Lucina as an alt for Marth is pointless because Lucina is "NOT MARTH", which is the entire point of her origin story. But I think it's unfair how Star Fox gets 2 representatives where Fire Emblem gets six.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
And I guess having Lucina as an alt for Marth is pointless because Lucina is "NOT MARTH", which is the entire point of her origin story.
Her origin story isn't that. She wasn't just a Marth doppleganger that got found out. I'd recommend playing Awakening, reading all of Lucina's supports and reading between the lines of her backstory to figure out what was the point of the disguise in the first place.
FE gets 6 representatives because it has 14 games in the main series and a lot of new characters per game, and since FE has been growing and it's finally seeing some success, it makes sense for them to push them quite a fair bit. Marth is there because he was the first protagonist, Roy is there because he was used to advertise FE: Binding Blade in Melee, and he was popular enough to warrant a comeback, Ike is there because they wanted to represent a newer game of the series in Brawl, and build a sworfighting character from FE that was distant from Marth, Robin is there because he is basically the protagonist of FE Awakening, probably the most influential title in the series and one of the most important games on the 3DS - that and he is a pretty unique character in the context of the series that could bring new fighting styles to Smash, Lucina is there because they wanted Chrom to be more of a support to Robin than a fighter, alongside the fact Lucina is one of the most popular characters from all of FE and that she can very easily be linked to both of Robin's genders (as a daughter or friend/wife). Finally, Corrin is there due to the release of FE Fates and the popularity of the character in Japan, so he is kinda here for similar reasons Roy was in Melee.

You can find pretty good reasons as to why everyone from FE is here, really. It's not like they just broke in out of nowhere.
It sucks that we lost Wolf and I think dropping characters is inexcusable, though.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
:4darkpit: is the least necessary if we're counting clones, he's a major character for one game in a extremely low selling franchise (literally not even 3 million units sold) turned into a clone, that could have just been a pallet swap with a voice. But since that's too easy, I'm going to say out of the non-clone characters it would have to be :4corrin:, they're unique and all, but are a blatant advertisement, and the 6th Fire Emblem character, putting the franchise on par with Pokemon in terms of sheer numbers, above Zelda, and above Kirby and DK combined. So yeah, he's probably the least necessary of them all.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Lucina and Dark Pit are a toss-up for me. They both should've been costumes instead of full-fledged characters.

If I were to consider them in retrospect, after DLC and all, I'd say Lucina edges out Dark Pit a little more in my eyes since the amount of FE representation is goddamn ridiculous in Sm4sh (at least throw in more diverse characters/movesets if you're gonna have a bunch of FE characters; the insistence of only sword/magic users is so lazily dirt simple).

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Guys, Fire Emblem introduces like 30+ new characters per game. It makes sense that it has a lot of rep since it has more characters than nearly every other nintendo series (Save for Pokémon). I think you all are just taken aback by the fact that we went from two to six - but think of how popular Fire Emblem got between then and now.

the insistence of only sword/magic users is so lazily dirt simple
...Er, you do know what fire emblem is, right?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Definitely the Corrins for non-clone/DLC and Dark Pit for overall.

The Corrins become even worse when you see that several of their move animations were ripped from Marth and Ike. (i.e. uair from Marth, and d-tilt from Ike).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom