• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Technical Character

Who is the most technical character?

• Total voters

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Who do you guys think is the most technical character? I'll make a poll for all the characters people often say are super technical.

EDIT: Thinking about removing fox and adding olimar, duck hunt, and pac-man. I just have no clue how to edit polls xD.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I love how Fox has 0 votes. I'm going with Rosalina & Luma because not only are you controlling two characters, but you're keeping both of them safe. One of which is one of the lightest characters in the game, and the other cannot exist without the former. What's worse, if you loose the latter, you're range and power gets cuts in half.
Peach is a close second, though.

destronoma

Smash Cadet
NNID
Destronoma
Definitely voting Ryu here. If you don't have any prior knowledge of Street Fighter inputs, you're playing with a gimped Ryu. While that doesn't sound like much, I imagine it's been hard for some people to pick him up because of said inputs.

Tainic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tainic
3DS FC
5327-2155-2373
I'd say either Rosalina or Robin tbh, it seems to me that once people will have figured out all the possibilities offered by Ryu's vast array of moves, his metagame will stale, while Rosalina's Luma gives her a ton of room for metagame development, the Luma alone allows for a ****ton of things we probably still havent figured out, at the moment, she still remains a really technical character who requires a high level of insight and, to an extent, to know how to micromanage the Luma, if you can't do the latter, well, sorry but you need to in order to milk that potential. Robin, on the other hand, has some micromanagement as well with the whole durability, but what makes her really technical is how she needs to have a plan, how she needs to be reaaaaaally careful with how she handles her books, if, by any chance, she ends up with both Thunder and Arcfire out of uses, she's pretty screwed, her 4 Thunder variations, her Arcfire, her 9 Aerials also gives her some untapped potential. Her Levin also requires her to manage her smash/aerial uses, if she ends up out of Levin uses, she pretty much will be unable to kill for the next 7 seconds, something that can be fatal on a 1v1 Situation where you're both at high percent. tldr, that whole durability things forces her to always have a gameplan and to carefuly manage Neutral and Side B uses, while also having to remember when what book/sword will be thrown and be able to be used as a very powerful projectile.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I don't think it's even fair to count Ryu by design. A distant second would be Peach, though.

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
Definitely Shulk. He is the hardest char. to master in the game I think if fully mastered he can be the best character in Sm4sh but who knows maybe no, anyways he's advanced techniques are super hard like MALLC, MADC or RMAA or Sheik
Mastering Shulk is way harder than Ryu, I think Peach and Pac are harder that Ryu
Why didn't you put Pac Man? He is also very technical

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Ryu, Peach, Shulk def. Ryu's gotta be the most technical fighter in the game.
Definitely Shulk. He is the hardest char. to master in the game I think if fully mastered he can be the best character in Sm4sh but who knows maybe no
People new to Xenoblade or who are eventually gonna play it don't hit dat tag yo
Hey man, don't want to seem rude or anything, but if someone who just got into Xenoblade looked too close at your picture they could be spoiled on Fiora's fate pretty easy. Not hard to make a connection. I'm already at that point so it isn't a spoiler for me, but I'm sure there's lots of people on the boards who haven't either gotten into Xenoblade yet or are in the middle of it. It would completely suck to spoil that stellar story for someone.

I'm just saying, because I was in the middle of Xenoblade (hadn't made it to fiora) and completely got spoiled because some idiot at nintendo decided to make "Mecha Fiora" an item in Smash Tour. I was so mad.

Just something to think about my friend. Xenoblade's great.

EDIT:
No Olimar, Pac, or Duck Hunt? Interesting.
Totally forgot about those lol. Probably because I have played like two DHD's in my life. DHD is up there, yeah.

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Why is Fox even an option... He has no extraordinary tools. Just a close combat fighter with lasers and a reflector. My vote goes to Robin, because to fully master the character, you need to be keeping track of how much durability you've used on all your tomes and the LS. This means literally keeping count of five items at once - all while zoning around your opponent, picking up/throwing your items as they appear, and dealing with the mind games and mental pressure that already go into an ordinary match.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I would say Rosalina because:

A) Two characters in one that can actually act separately (with different movement methods) requires twice the amount of spacial awareness. No other character really has to worry about this (not even Olimar since his Pikmin are just projectiles and melee weapons more than anything).

B) Two movesets to learn and understand the properties of. Once again, no other character really has to worry about this since every other character is a single entity with a single moveset. Robin somewhat has it due to the differences between Bronze Sword and Levin Sword, but it's nowhere near as difficult to get a grasp on and the differences aren't as great.

C) To my knowledge, Rosalina has more unique Advanced Techniques than any other character, and still has more and more being developed (I am developing one myself).

D) Rosalina gets more use out of various universal Advanced Techniques than other characters a majority of the time and often serve as a basis for her own unique ones, so there is more incentive to learn them and use them.

E) You have to apply Doubles strategies even in 1v1 to get the best out of her, such as combos that involve bouncing the opponent between Rosalina & Luma.

F) To truly master them, you have to understand that both Rosalina and Luma can cover pretty much any playstyle in the game. From there, you learn that you can dynamically switch their paradigms up to fit the situation, which is basically a much more complex version of Shulk's Monado Arts.

Last edited:

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
You should really get rid of Fox and Sheik, replace them with Pac-Man and Megaman.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
I'll go with robin, one of the characters that is punished for playing without thinking, outside of short hop n-air, every move is punishable, maybe I'm confusing technical with learning curve...

T

Trick or Treat

I must be using Peach all wrong then, as one of my mains, because I have never felt her to be anything too crazy like that. Nothing compared to Rosalina at least.

Oh well I still win with her anyway.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I must be using Peach all wrong then, as one of my mains, because I have never felt her to be anything too crazy like that. Nothing compared to Rosalina at least.

Oh well I still win with her anyway.
She's up there for sure, as one of the more technical characters. Her float mechanics are completely unique so that takes some getting used to. There's also learning how to use her turnips well and going for combos that can finish with her Up B or F-air. Peach is really weak in this game in terms of knockback and even damage, so getting in combos with the two good KO moves she has is kinda necessary to be successful.

T

Trick or Treat

She's up there for sure, as one of the more technical characters. Her float mechanics are completely unique so that takes some getting used to. There's also learning how to use her turnips well and going for combos that can finish with her Up B or F-air. Peach is really weak in this game in terms of knockback and even damage, so getting in combos with the two good KO moves she has is kinda necessary to be successful.
I think I just naturally picked that up. Because I played her and got the combos down before I even touched any type of competitive play, and it has since then gotten better.

I also got used to floating right away. Especially...there is probably a name for this, but when you float and move around only a millimeter off the ground. Good way to get aerials in without exposing yourself too much.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm gonna have to go with Shulk. MALLC single-handedly makes him the most technical, but the lag on his moves and managing his MArts definitely takes some getting used to as well.
Honorable mentions go to Robin, PAC-MAN, and Ryu.

Last edited:

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
Id have to say that while ryu and shulk definantly have their technical aspects, the casual player would be able to pick them up and use them rather easily... I remember trying out rosa for the first time and thinking "wtf, how do I play her?"

Shulk seems pretty straight forward imo because his game seems to be centered around the fundamentals of disjointed hit boxes. Shffl a lot and keep your spacing and most people can do well. The mondo arts are cool but it's pretty straight forward. When your high % use shield, when you want to kill uses smash. But the mondo arts seem to supplement his style rather than define it.

Ryu gets a big nerf if you don't know the street fighter Inputs, but that's mostly power on his specials. His combo game is still usable if you didn't know that he has extra versions of his tilts and jab. And all his smashes still kill well. He is still solid without knowing his advanced meta.

Robin is techniqal in the since that you have to "budget" her moves. She forces you to use her whole arsenal for fear of losing tools to over use. But as long as long as you don't spam her spells you probably won't notice she is limited on them. Her sword on the other hand is different, in the sense that if she doesn't watch it then she can't KO. This demands that you understand this mechanic to succeed with her.

Rosa requires you to understand luma. Almost all of her attacks involve Luma in some way so you need to know what the star is doing. It's not a straight forward play style. Any causal player can't just pick it up. Even advanced players could probably pick up the above mentioned characters quicker than rosa & luma.

Either way I feel like duck hunt is harder than any of these to learn...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Id have to say that while ryu and shulk definantly have their technical aspects, the casual player would be able to pick them up and use them rather easily... I remember trying out rosa for the first time and thinking "wtf, how do I play her?"

Shulk seems pretty straight forward imo because his game seems to be centered around the fundamentals of disjointed hit boxes. Shffl a lot and keep your spacing and most people can do well. The mondo arts are cool but it's pretty straight forward. When your high % use shield, when you want to kill uses smash. But the mondo arts seem to supplement his style rather than define it.

Ryu gets a big nerf if you don't know the street fighter Inputs, but that's mostly power on his specials. His combo game is still usable if you didn't know that he has extra versions of his tilts and jab. And all his smashes still kill well. He is still solid without knowing his advanced meta.

Robin is techniqal in the since that you have to "budget" her moves. She forces you to use her whole arsenal for fear of losing tools to over use. But as long as long as you don't spam her spells you probably won't notice she is limited on them. Her sword on the other hand is different, in the sense that if she doesn't watch it then she can't KO. This demands that you understand this mechanic to succeed with her.

Rosa requires you to understand luma. Almost all of her attacks involve Luma in some way so you need to know what the star is doing. It's not a straight forward play style. Any causal player can't just pick it up. Even advanced players could probably pick up the above mentioned characters quicker than rosa & luma.

Either way I feel like duck hunt is harder than any of these to learn...
Duck Hunt Duo is more or less just about always having stuff out on stage (cans and frisbees), camping people out when they are far away, and trying to use your melee attacks to keep them away when they are getting close. Smash Attacks kinda suck due to their inaccuracy (not every hit launches, so characters can get popped out before you get the last hit in), but U-air is great for KOs.

I would using Duck Hunt Duo isn't that difficult.

FrankTheStud

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FrankDaStud
I honestly don't think Ryu is that technical, tbh... I've been playing Street Fighter since SFII, so maybe that's why... His progression from SFIV to Sm4sh is very fluid!

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
I dont feel Ryu is technical, but i also have been playing him for years in SF titles. I feel he transitioned well into Smash

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Pac-Man really needs to be on here. Even if he isn't the most technical, he's definitely up there.

I mean...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Sonic should all be on the list of technical characters IMO.

Greninja really should be too, he requires a lot of precision and you can't afford to mess up with him.

darkshadlegend

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkshadlegend
I'm giving it to Ryu, Followed by Peach and then Shulk. After that would probably go something like Mega man -> Rosalina -> Sheik -> Ike -> Fox. Ryu's sheer amount of options and AT's as well as inputs you have to be able to do in your sleep to play at tournament level with him make him easily #1. If you screw one up it can most likely cost you a stock you could have took, or end yours. Peach is probably second because of one of the same reasons, options. She also has QFR, Turnips to memorize, smashes to keep track of, and much more. My number three spot goes to my main man Shulk due to the precise spacing needed to play him at high level. There are other things you need to memorize, Such as the timing of the art switches to pull of techs such as MALLC and MADC. MALLC can help you get rid of the huge endlag on some of shulks moves, while MADC provides huge mixup potential and is much undiscovered. I believe these top 3 could change around as the second two are much undeveloped, but that's just my two cents. I'm suprised there was no mega man on this list tbh.

Lengthy post done *Sips coffee*.

MillionGoldMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MillGoldMan
3DS FC
4699-8722-4893
Had to pick Shulk.

How could you not? His monado arts are very technical if you want to learn them right, having to experiment with every advantage and disadvantage of the monado arts. Finding out the damage outputs, the knockback dealt, the combos which work with only certain arts. They are very technical

And then you have to find out which work for the 2 other customs

Also, youll have to do well with MALLC and MARC/MADC to be great with shulk..

Ill add more to this soon

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Probably incredibly biased since he is my main but Shulk gets my vote.

Managing the Monado Arts to increase your strengths while preventing the opponent to take advantage of your current art's weaknesses. Tech that allows him to lessen or eliminate aerial landing lag like MALLC at the cost of wasting an art and the opponent knowing what you're doing just to perform it. And not to mention his frame data really punishing him if the opponent gets close and the only thing to save him is a frame 5 jab.

Of course Ryu is definitely up there with the SF inputs and FADC both grounded and midair as well as Peach due to her float mechanic. I just find these three pretty untapped in tournament play overall.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Why is Fox even an option... He has no extraordinary tools. Just a close combat fighter with lasers and a reflector. My vote goes to Robin, because to fully master the character, you need to be keeping track of how much durability you've used on all your tomes and the LS. This means literally keeping count of five items at once - all while zoning around your opponent, picking up/throwing your items as they appear, and dealing with the mind games and mental pressure that already go into an ordinary match.
Honestly fox is on here as a joke. Because melee.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
You should really get rid of Fox and Sheik, replace them with Pac-Man and Megaman.
Bruh, you don't know how much Sheik tech there is. Have you seen C-bouncing, wave-needles, or instant needle cancels?

EDIT: Crap, I double posted...

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Lol Robin lmao Fox
Tfw no Kirby
I voted for Sheik
So much tech
Instant Needle Canceling
Needle Fidgeting
BF shenanigans
Wave bouncing grenades
Waveneedles
Just scratching the surface
Ryu, Peach and Shulk are close seconds tho

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
BTW Just gon be 100% honest right now, I WAS going to add Olimar and duck hunt, but I accidentally posted the thread before I finished adding everything and have no clue how to edit a poll. Lol

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
This is probably biased as well, but my vote went to Sheik. Now that I think about it, I would say that Peach is probably the most technical. No doubt, Sheik has countless techs and takes a lot of time to get into, but Peach seems even more difficult. Her turnips, floating, and smash attacks really make her unique and hard to master. Rosalina comes extremely close behind, though.

The only character on this poll that I don't think is that technical (compared to others) is Pac-Man, and Fox if that one was meant to be taken seriously.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would say the most technical characters in the game are:

:4pacman::4pikachu::4robinm::rosalina::4ryu::4shulk:

Of these, I would say :4robinm::4shulk: take the cake because they're barely functional if you don't use their gimmicks right. The others can still get along okay if you don't know what you're doing but these two suffer tremendously if you just try to wing it with them.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I would say the most technical characters in the game are:

:4pacman::4pikachu::4robinm::rosalina::4ryu::4shulk:

Of these, I would say :4robinm::4shulk: take the cake because they're barely functional if you don't use their gimmicks right. The others can still get along okay if you don't know what you're doing but these two suffer tremendously if you just try to wing it with them.
I would group Pac-Man and Rosalina with Robin and Shulk in that regard.

Pac-Man's melee attacks/normals are decent but pale in comparison to even Mario since they are kinda slow, his hydrant can mess you up if you throw it out recklessly, you can crash into walls with the Side B which can be your demise, and a lot of people end up missing the trampoline on their second bounce or whatever. His fruits can also be used against him, and his grab is probably the most hard to use grab in the entire game especially with how punishable it is if it misses. Considering how great shields are in this game and how grabs are the only universally viable option against them, having a hard to use grab alone makes it easy for Pac-Man newcomers to be bodied.

With Rosalina, it comes down to the fact that a lot of people don't know how to operate Luma which leads to him being kicked off the stage early, and then because Rosalina has weird hitboxes and the general misinterpretation that Rosalina isn't good on her own, people just run away if Luma is gone, which is very easy to take advantage of.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
BTW Just gon be 100% honest right now, I WAS going to add Olimar and duck hunt, but I accidentally posted the thread before I finished adding everything and have no clue how to edit a poll. Lol
Olimar technical? All he does is run away and chuck Pikmin. By the way, I don't think you can edit polls.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think people were mostly just saying "shoulda been this character or that character".

The list is decent enough as is, and it's been spurring enough discussion anyway.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Characters like Sheik and Fox are technical but in a different sense. They're technical because they rely so heavily on quick movements and precision. I would say that: :4fox::4greninja::4marth::4metaknight::4sheik::4sonic::4wiifit::4zss: fall into this category. New players usually consider them "hard to control" and struggle to get kills in with them because they rely so heavily on stringing attacks together and proper spacing. When I think "technical", I'm more thinking of characters where gimmicks are more of a core part of their gameplay.

In regards to Pac-man and Rosalina, yes, they are much better if you master their gimmicks but I feel like they don't completely rely on them. For example, Shulk without the Monado Arts is arguably one of the most underwhelming characters in the game and a Robin player without a good handle of how to use his spells is just plain awkward. A player with decent fundamental competency will do fine with Rosalina and Pac-Man while it takes more than that to be decent with Robin and Shulk.

Talking about this has made me realize that I forgot to mention :4lucario: earlier and that, like :rosalina:and :4pacman:, he is another character that is much better if you get a good handle of his gimmick but not totally at a loss if you don't know it inside and out.

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
People that say that Ryu is the most technical char. because they don't know about how hard is Shulk to master, Ryu is difficult because a lot of inputs, But defenitely Shulk is LOT harder

Last edited:
Top Bottom