• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most random character in Smash Bros history

To the point you called Sakurai ridiculous for including this character.

• Smash 64 Ness

• Melee Mr. Game and Watch

• Brawl Pit

• SSB4 Wii Fit Trainer

• Smash Ultimate Piranha Plant

• A tie between two of the above (say which ones)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
If you can provide a reason why this character was more shocking than the one I listed, feel free to explain why and I’ll edit the poll

edit: apparently I cannot edit poll. All votes for Pit instead go to R.O.B

Last edited:

Spiny Top

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately for me, I’d say ROB in Brawl was extremely random. I mean, making some long forgotten NES accessory a character?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
:ultpiranha: - no question. Hell, I'd considered :ultrob: the most random inclusion until the plant showed up

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Piranha Plant. I think mooks deserve to be represented in Smash Bros... as Assist Trophies, stage hazards, or adventure mode enemies. No more. Not when there are so many glaring omissions in the playable cast. And for those who absolutely want a ''joke character'' in each Smash entry, I don't think Isabelle is supposed to be taken very seriously.

Firox

Smash Master
See below in order of WTFness:

1) :ultpiranha: (by far) Generic Mook
2) :ultwiifittrainer: Exercise peripheral/characterless mannequin
3) :ultduckhunt: Totally synthesized character from ancient shooting game
4) :ultrob: Derived from physical toy/technically first and only non-video game character
5) :ultgnw: 2-dimensional character from an ancient gaming system that 99% of people under the age of 50 have never played
6) :ultolimar: Seemingly random character that had to be created 50x their natural size to be playable

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
:ultpiranha:, no contest. Even :ultwiifittrainer: I could get behind, but I don't think ANYONE could've been ready for a potted plant.

Also, you're going to call :pit: random when :rob: was in the same game?
R.O.B had appeared in previous games including Pikmin 2 and was playable in Mario Kart DS while Pit had only appeared in Melee previously.

but I suppose since pit was considered in Melee R.O.B would be more unexpected

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Mr Game and Watch. The character itself actually originated in smash but the moves are the things that reference actual games

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Probably Piranha Plant, not only had the surprise of being the 1st basic enemy fighter but was also a pretty obscure pick out of other basic enemies, would have thought they would have expanded on someone we saw from smash run or subspace.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
With them being such a big part of Smash, people often forget how insignificant :ulticeclimbers: are outside of Smash. One game, a mediocre one at that, that would've been drowned and forgotten in the pool of Gumshoes and Clu Clu Lands if not for Smash. Given the popularity of other Black Box games (specifically Excitebike and Duck Hunt), you'd think they'd get higher priority really.

PP is random for the first playable mook, but the idea of a playable mook isn't too weird on its' own, G&W is important to Nintendo history while R.O.B. is an important part in gaming history as a whole, Pit had a huge fanbase even before his Brawl debut, same with Ness, and Wii Fit Trainer comes from one of the best selling games of all time. Objectively the ICs have no reason to be in Smash, but subjectively I couldn't be happier that they're there.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
:ultduckhunt: Is weirder than :ultwiifittrainer: In my opinion because :ultwiifittrainer:actually has some material to get a more predictable moveset from, but nobody knew what kinda things they’d make :ultduckhunt:do. But out of them all, :ultrob:has gotta be the weirdest since Wii Fit and Duck Hunt were actually successful.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Mr. Game & Watch is probably the most out there, as he's pretty much a character that's made up just for Smash. The characters in the Game & Watch games are just bog standard nameless silhouettes that are only meant to visualize some sort of event, there isn't actually a Mr. Game & Watch, but of course he got in before Smash and the speculation surrounding it became the phenomenon it is today, so he just seems like a much more natural inclusion than he actually is as most of us have never known Smash without him. While Game & Watch is a huge part of Nintendo's history, I think he's the only character to ever make it in that would have been literally impossible to guess beforehand.

Although I do want to give a shoutout to Wii Fit Trainer, I remember when she was confirmed people scoured the internet for any posts that had as much as even talked about her getting into Smash, and all they could find was a single thread on GameFAQs with no comments on it (not counting the Gematsu leak of course).

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
:ultduckhunt: Is weirder than :ultwiifittrainer: In my opinion because :ultwiifittrainer:actually has some material to get a more predictable moveset from, but nobody knew what kinda things they’d make :ultduckhunt:do. But out of them all, :ultrob:has gotta be the weirdest since Wii Fit and Duck Hunt were actually successful.
Believe it or not, DH was a heavily requested fighter prior to the ESRB leak - possibly one of the most requested retro reps in fact, through it's hard to tell how much of it was ironic nostalgia and how much of it was genuine, but I was a genuine supporter at the time. If you go deep enough you'll find fanart and mockups of the DHD in Smash made before the big leak, and some of them got pretty close to the real moveset (through this video in particular is as far as you can get)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Piranha Plant. I think mooks deserve to be represented in Smash Bros... as Assist Trophies, stage hazards, or adventure mode enemies. No more. Not when there are so many glaring omissions in the playable cast. And for those who absolutely want a ''joke character'' in each Smash entry, I don't think Isabelle is supposed to be taken very seriously.
Completely disagree. I think enemies should absolutely on the table since they are icons in their own right.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Completely disagree. I think enemies should absolutely on the table since they are icons in their own right.
They're iconic as ennemies. Heroes on the other hand are kown are playable characters.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Yeah, mooks are the underdogs of gaming, they do so much, yet get so little recognition.
That being said, Plant's inclusion would be harder to justify without the context of "Everyone is here."

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I'm gonna say Brawl Pit, simply because Kid Icarus's return really came out of nowhere.
A fresh anime look and a new set of abilities for a character that was completely missing for 20~ years.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I remember one of the first screenshots of melee that was shown was the Pit trophy and there was a lot of people excited to see him. At the time, nobody actually knew what trophies were and they thought he was actually going to be in the game.

There was at least a little bit of hype for the guy before he returned.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I second Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 's sentiments that Icies are the most random character. Ness only seems obscure in hindsight; at the time of his inclusion, a Mother/Earthbound sequel was in the works for the N64. The dev team had every reason to think the series would continue strongly.

Game and Watch, ROB, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit were all tied to innovative peripherals. ROB's wasn't that successful, but it makes sense that Nintendo would want to honor their past innovations nonetheless.

Ultimate is the first entry to really consider Smash a "celebration of gaming" over a "Nintendo fighter with (admittedly really hype) guest characters". As such, I think it makes sense that Piranha Plant got in. Generic mooks are in the vast majority of games, so while it still feels like an odd decision to include one, it does make some sense to give them a shout-out. Mario has plenty and is Nintendo's flagship franchise, and some, like Goombas and Bullet Bills, have things about them that would be hard to implement as a Smash character. Dunno why they chose Plant over Koopa Troopa, but c'est la vie!

Ice Climbers, meanwhile, are from an obscure game that wasn't well-received or all that good, based on what I've heard others say about it. Kid Icarus at least had a good following back in the day, and a Gameboy sequel (from that perspective, one could even say that Pit helps rep the Gameboy). The same can't be said for Icies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I voted Game and Watch. Sure, Plant was out of left field, but remember that Game and Watch is a Smash OC. If things were reversed and G&W was revealed during the November Direct, people would be going nuts still to this day.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I voted Game and Watch. Sure, Plant was out of left field, but remember that Game and Watch is a Smash OC. If things were reversed and G&W was revealed during the November Direct, people would be going nuts still to this day.
I don't think so. There is no story, no background to the Game & Watch games, so as far as we know this might be the exact same guy all the time, doing lots of different stuffs - exactly like Mario. Besides, this "guy" was the main character of his game(s), he was playable before getting in Smash, a "hero" of some sort. He's not as random as you and a lot of people say. He was a surprising choice, for sure, but that's not the same.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
He was a surprising choice, for sure, but that's not the same.
Right there. You had a chance to quote Sheev Palpatine. But you didn't.

"A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one."

Anyway, you might be right, but at least Plant is a real, existing character. To some, including myself, Game and Watch is an interpretation. If he was revealed today, I would be equally confused. "A character based on the Game and Watch games? That's as random as possible!" That would have been my take, which is why I voted for him.

NardBurh

Smash Rookie
Sincerely, to me, :ultfalcon: definitively takes the spot for Smash 64. He was never saw outside of his car, most, if not, all of them were totally invented for Smash 64, :ultness: and :ultjigglypuff: are somewhat close, but both had a lot of potential at the time, both came from a RPG and so they would fit for the Fighting Style.

:ultgnw: is truly a weird pick, no doubts. But :ultdoc: takes the trophy of most random clone character in Smash, and you can't change my mind

:ultrob: is indeed the weirdest, but sincerely, :ultpit: and :ultzss: aren't that far.

:ultwiifittrainer: is, to me, the weirdest and most random character of all Smash, not a single soul would expect her, and she feels really out of place.

:ultpiranha: is apparently who most people think it's the most random character, but sincerely, the Plant isn't as bad as the others mentioned up there, it may be the most random character in Ultimate, but lets be honest, we'd get a Mario enemy anytime soon when they ran out of main Mario series characters, Piranha Plant is just the first basic enemy we're seeing, but comparated to characters like :ultwiifittrainer:, :ultgnw: or :ultrob:, it's safe to say Piranha Plant is the least odd of all the odd characters, or at least one of the least odds, with :ultjigglypuff:, :ultness: and others.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Definitely Piranha Plant. When you think of a generic Smash character, Piranha Plant is immediately one of the first to come to mind for many. That’s what makes the character so random and sticking out compared to some of the others.

I think the character would be better received if it was Petey Piranha instead of Petey just being the final smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom