• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Important Tech to Lab?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Kinda new to Marth, but I've gotten surprisingly good with him fairly quickly and want to continue improving. What specific techs would you guys consider most important/most helpful to lab out for long periods of time?

PichuMaster3000

Smash Rookie
Perfect wavedash. It's a really simple thing that often gets overlooked. This tech is the key to playing as fast as the top Marths. It wont give you immediate success but you should start practicing it now because of the time it takes to learn it.

What I do to practice this is I go onto pokemon stadium and use the pokeball on the ground as a guide. If you put marth's forward toe on the edge of the pokeball while still being on the inside of the ball and wavedash to the other side of the pokeball that is about the distance of a perfect wavedash. You won't quite make it to the edge but if you turn marth to face the other direction then he will line up perfectly. Also the perfect wavedash and his roll are about the same distance. so that can help a little with knowing the distance you should be getting.

You should also get used to doing a short hop double fair, short hop fair nair (single hit), short hop fair dair.

To learn to do this you should short hop and use fair and jump before you land on the ground. Once you can do that a descent amount then you should short hop bair then jump before touching the ground.

If you have the right version of 20XX (like 3.0 or whatever it is. I don't remember) then you can have either a fox/falco do shield pressure. Or you can have falco spam lasers so that you can practice doing dashes in between/power shielding them.

Note that the laser height can change what you should do when dealing with the laser. If the laser is high you can dash underneath it. if it's low you can jump over it. jumping is generally not good though unless you are going to a platform because you know that you could get some stuff rolling from above him (which can still be risky).

the best thing to do is crouch the laser -> dash or take the hit -> dash. PPMD innovated this. He realized that the laser doesn't do much hitstun so you have enough time to get a quick dash in. which can throw the opponent off guard if you are getting hit by lasers and can still out play him in neutral. You should also know that if fox/falco use an attack on the top part of your shield you can shield grab them.

You should get comfortable with Marth's dash ranges. on yoshis story/pokemon stadium its about the length of a pokeball/circle on yoshis story.

What I would recomend to practice this is on yoshi's or pokemon dash in the middle from the edge to edge of the pokeball/circle then get continually tighter and tighter (I'm prettu sure PewPewU does this). then do it on a platform on either stage. also you should be able to dash stop then dash again.

This kind of ties in to the wavedash. If you can dash -> wavedash -> dash fairly well it can assist in having to escape pressure. When I was first learning I would practice dashing without putting the analog stick all the way in the middle of the notch, instead I would put it at the perfect wavedash spot on the notches. so when I would dash I could press jump and L to wavedash instead of having to move my stick to accommodate.

Wavelands can also be good to get a small feel for earlier on. Sometimes it's good to wavedash off a platform then waveland when you hit the ground. just a thought.

You don't have to learn all of these to win games but they each can lead into other higher technique things that most people don't notice or know exist and can help clutch games. It's cool if you read this whole thing. wavedashing/dashing are the most important thing on this post but if you are ever gonna play against a spacie you should get used to dealing with lasers (if fox lasers you then dash forward and take the free stage).

Good luck on your practicing! and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

lizardwuke

Smash Rookie
NNID
Redpanda_Block
Perfect wavedash. It's a really simple thing that often gets overlooked. This tech is the key to playing as fast as the top Marths. It wont give you immediate success but you should start practicing it now because of the time it takes to learn it.

What I do to practice this is I go onto pokemon stadium and use the pokeball on the ground as a guide. If you put marth's forward toe on the edge of the pokeball while still being on the inside of the ball and wavedash to the other side of the pokeball that is about the distance of a perfect wavedash. You won't quite make it to the edge but if you turn marth to face the other direction then he will line up perfectly. Also the perfect wavedash and his roll are about the same distance. so that can help a little with knowing the distance you should be getting.

You should also get used to doing a short hop double fair, short hop fair nair (single hit), short hop fair dair.

To learn to do this you should short hop and use fair and jump before you land on the ground. Once you can do that a descent amount then you should short hop bair then jump before touching the ground.

If you have the right version of 20XX (like 3.0 or whatever it is. I don't remember) then you can have either a fox/falco do shield pressure. Or you can have falco spam lasers so that you can practice doing dashes in between/power shielding them.

Note that the laser height can change what you should do when dealing with the laser. If the laser is high you can dash underneath it. if it's low you can jump over it. jumping is generally not good though unless you are going to a platform because you know that you could get some stuff rolling from above him (which can still be risky).

the best thing to do is crouch the laser -> dash or take the hit -> dash. PPMD innovated this. He realized that the laser doesn't do much hitstun so you have enough time to get a quick dash in. which can throw the opponent off guard if you are getting hit by lasers and can still out play him in neutral. You should also know that if fox/falco use an attack on the top part of your shield you can shield grab them.

You should get comfortable with Marth's dash ranges. on yoshis story/pokemon stadium its about the length of a pokeball/circle on yoshis story.

What I would recomend to practice this is on yoshi's or pokemon dash in the middle from the edge to edge of the pokeball/circle then get continually tighter and tighter (I'm prettu sure PewPewU does this). then do it on a platform on either stage. also you should be able to dash stop then dash again.

This kind of ties in to the wavedash. If you can dash -> wavedash -> dash fairly well it can assist in having to escape pressure. When I was first learning I would practice dashing without putting the analog stick all the way in the middle of the notch, instead I would put it at the perfect wavedash spot on the notches. so when I would dash I could press jump and L to wavedash instead of having to move my stick to accommodate.

Wavelands can also be good to get a small feel for earlier on. Sometimes it's good to wavedash off a platform then waveland when you hit the ground. just a thought.

You don't have to learn all of these to win games but they each can lead into other higher technique things that most people don't notice or know exist and can help clutch games. It's cool if you read this whole thing. wavedashing/dashing are the most important thing on this post but if you are ever gonna play against a spacie you should get used to dealing with lasers (if fox lasers you then dash forward and take the free stage).

Good luck on your practicing! and sorry for the long post.
thank you, this really helped.

Top Bottom