• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Hated Character to Fight - Be Civil

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:ultsamus:/:ultdarksamus:'s who do nothing but run around the stage and spam projectiles are the worst thing ever.

Nubby

Smash Cadet
Also forgot to mention:

:ultsquirtle: - Nothing too much annoying about him besides him being very small to hit and his combos are wack.

:ultivysaur: - Annoying projectile, super disjointed hitboxes that are frustrating to deal with, can't really edgeguard him or you'll get hit by his disjointed down air.

:ultcharizard: - Bair killing at 50% is not acceptable, body armor on some of his overpowered moves is just stupid to be honest.

Acorn873

Smash Rookie
I would have to say Olimar. Very hard for me to fight against him. However, I have to give props to people who main him. They're pretty loyal to him. :)

Jebril

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac, Simon/Richter, and Bayonetta because they fundamentally change they way you have to play into a really annoying thing.

I have like a 90% winrate against Little Macs and still hate playing against the character it feels so dumb. Gotta get him off stage and edgeguard and he seems like such a basic character in general. Simon/Richter literally just spam the whole game and it's not even fun to get around. I don't mind characters like Samus and Links spam IDK what it is but the Castlevania spam is just stupid to play against and I've noticed games against those character tend to take even longer than other characters even though I'm constantly aggro against these players.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I think the top two are :ultpichu: and :ultsquirtle:. They're so tiny and hard to hit, they render a lot of important attacks for my tall characters impotent.

:ultivysaur: feels like it has the biggest disjointment in the game and it's very annoying. I'm sure I can still learn how to do better against it, but man.

:ultmewtwo: is weirdly hard to hit for me. Even with his tail hurtbox.

I don't really have any trouble dealing with projectile spammers or Sonic, personally.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
In Smash 4, it was definitely Cloud who gave me strife (badum-tish) - Bayonetta may have been the better character, but Cloud made me rage more, especially as he was more common

In Ultimate though, he's much more bearable. Not sure if any character's taken up his mantle, but I can't say I enjoy facing Pichu much, even after the nerfs. Fast characters with a sword also give me a bit of a headache.

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
:ultinkling::ultinklingboy: Nothing but Splat Bombs and Splat Roller
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: Does nothing but stand on the edge, charge and spam projectiles
:ultness::ultlucas: PK FIRE. PK FIRE, PK FIRE, PK FIRE, *teabags*
:ultlink::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink: You might be able to tell that I hate characters that can just stand on the edge and do nothing but projectiles

Last edited:

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
honestly u gotta think of the cowards favorite picks which is projectile spam base.

Mega man, samus, links, richter. Surprise im not seeing more richters.

All of which are cheap and maines by people who enjoy playing cheaply.

Then you have the easy mode characters that benefit from bunny hop spam jump playstyle, cloud, mario, yoshi, luigi, wolf.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I've fought a Lucina and boy was that one of the worst things I've ever experienced since playing this game. This character wouldn't let me breath nor allow me to get a hit in for the life of me, and recovering was the worst. Then again I was stuck playing as Ryu...
All of which are cheap and maines by people who enjoy playing cheaply.
A Zelda and Palutena user complaining about cheapness?

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
Those arent my mains i main bowser i just skipped through the questions really. And ive never even played wii fit trainer.

Bowser is my playstyle up close and personal with a mid range fire breath to punish bad decisions that isn’t spammable. It has a diminishing return As should all projectiles/range attacks.

I just picked up samus for the first time today and three stocked my friend doing nothing but spamming rockets and nuetral B. Only using melee to get him away from me.

Its ridiculously easy to do, i could be a brain dead monkey and get elite smash with samus. But i wont taint online lobbys with that kind of presence

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I just picked up samus for the first time today and three stocked my friend doing nothing but spamming rockets and nuetral B. Only using melee to get him away from me.

Its ridiculously easy to do, i could be a brain dead monkey and get elite smash with samus. But i wont taint online lobbys with that kind of presence
The only thing that means is that your friend is bad at Smash, and if that would work on you, then you are as well.

Silask20

Smash Apprentice
The only thing that means is that your friend is bad at Smash, and if that would work on you, then you are as well.
Meanwhile were both in elites with several characters. If you edge camp and spam, your enemy has to come to you or just /lose to your spam. They become predictable because there is only one point of entry, over your projectiles which means you can just counter them. And if by some god given luck they manage to perfectly maneuver through to you without taking damage than you just throw them off stage, run to the other side rinse and repeat.

The sad part is the enemy has to try 500 times harder than you in this situation. They need perfect timing, calculation and a few tricks up their sleeve to come out on top. Meanwhile im doing B,B, side B side B side B side B B side B side B B.

Its unfair all projectiles need diminishing returns

Btw im not saying this is impossible to overcome but you have to be an extremely good player to overcome an expereinced smasher who is spamming projectiles. Id say if i just went in and spammed it would work on 80% of players

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well this thread certainly aged well.

Anyway, my new most hated character to fight against is obviously Hero. The randomness in his moveset and the OHKO's are enough, but it's the level of stress fighting against him that I really dislike. At any given moment my eyes have to flutter to a little menu in the bottom corner of the screen to read and react to any of the four options Hero gets, and some of them are ridiculous (guess). Sometimes it's almost impossible to react properly since Hero can use his magic abilities like snapping his fingers and the hitboxes are enormous (looking at you, magic burst). The level of stress I experience when playing against Hero is enough that I fully support the movements to ban him (He's already been banned in Southern Australia). Hero's moveset revolves too much around RNG and OHKO's that I simply can't endorse him being allowed in tournaments. I hate playing against him that much.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I will say that Bayonetta seems to be very annoying to fight. I find it frustrating to sit through 10 seconds worth of up B ladder combos that never seem to end.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I have a terrible time playing against Pichu players, especially when I'm using Joker. It just seems like none of my attacks ever connect with the runt...

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
I don't hate a lot of characters in this game, I have a bias against Alph because he was broken and dumb, but technically he's fine now
Samus/Dark Samus can be a giant pain with the camping but with proper characters it can be dealt with.
Lucas has a 15/85 chance of wowing me or tilting me. I know as a Ness main I probably should shut up, but Lucas is so annoying most of the time. I'll take a spammy Young LInk any day over a bad Lucas, but Lucas, like Ness, can be super hype and fun.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I have a terrible time playing against Pichu players, especially when I'm using Joker. It just seems like none of my attacks ever connect with the runt...
Pichu is the character I find least fun to fight in the entire game.

The toolkit that character has just feels really unfair and unfun to fight against.

The character is balanced around self-inflicted damage, which means a significant set of the damage dealt throughout the match is not dealt by Pichu's opponent, but by the Pichu itself. This makes the match feel really one-sided the entire time. I feel like I just spend the entire match sitting through combos or various forms of electrocution torture only to finally get one or two moves off and end the thing's stock. Even when I'm "winning," it feels like I'm just a punching bag the entire time. Being comboed 0 to 120, only to finally hit Pichu with one forward smash and killing it at 45%, where 35% of that was self-inflicted during the combo, is pretty frustrating even if I just "won."

Add to that Pichu's insane off-stage mobility, and it takes away the part of the game I find most enjoyable, which is off-stage play (one reason I main Ridley, btw, is because I enjoy this element so much). Oof, that character just makes me not even want to play any more when I fight it.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultbayonetta:: I have to avoid jumping the majority of the time, lest I get caught up in any attack that leads into an annoying combo. Remind me again why people want her buffed? Oh, right. Players typically don't know what they want!

:ultbowserjr:: He's Sonic on wheels, but he's worse because he has projectiles that stop mine and he can bait me hard by stopping his side special in the air. I have to pay close attention to him.

:ultcloud:: He's still oppressive and now he has an annoying up special. It's like Sakurai & Co. couldn't make any character unique after Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

:ultdiddy:: No one fights this character enough to know how to deal with him.

:ultduckhunt:: He's probably the worst match-up for any Samus/Dark Samus main. I swear his gunmen don't need to have a hitbox after getting hit.

:ultfalco:: That reflector has just a bit too much range, and now he can rack up a lot of damage from his u-tilt.

:ultfox:: He's just too fast and oppressive. I swear Sakurai & Co. gave every character with a sex kick a lot of knock-back.

:ultgreninja:: Water Sheik is too fast and has easy combos. I'd rather fight the original Sheik. If you're going to have so much combo power, you should be awful at killing.

:ulticeclimbers:: I don't fight these two enough, but they're not fun to fight anyway.

:ultisabelle:: F-air/b-air for days.

:ultjigglypuff:: I don't take this character seriously, but it's still a pain to deal with.

:ultjoker:: Arsene.

:ultlittlemac:: I know a lot of players say he's the worst character, but he's just stressful enough with that speed, super armor, and incredible knock-back.

:ultlucas:: This brat is overshadowed by Ness, but he's actually the worst offender when it comes to PK Fire. You can get out of Ness' PK Fire. This brat kills with it and is safer when doing so.

:ultluigi:: Get out of here. Your brother will always be better than you. You'll always live in your brother's shadow.

:ultmiifighters:: It's a grave sin to play as any of these knock-offs. Seriously, Mii Brawler has stupid kill power, Mii Gunner is a better Samus, and Mii Swordfighter isn't even a swordfighter, considering he/she uses projectiles him/herself.

:ultgnw:: One problem I have with Sakurai & Co. is that some characters can use d-air and recover, while others plummet to their death. This ************ didn't need a reflector.

:ultness:: Normally, Ness isn't an issue, but today I once again fought the same Ness I fought yesterday. He gives all Ness mains a bad reputation with his incessant PK Fire. Not to mention, he started tea bagging when I'd lose a stock. I made sure he lost and tea bagged back before blocking his sorry ass. I'm sorry you Ness mains are often lumped together with the bad apples.

:ultpacman:: "He has bad aerials", said the liar. This character isn't fun to play against at all. He's probably Samus'/Dark Samus' second worst match-up.

:ultpalutena:: The goddess of light? More like the goddess of blight. She's a pain in the ass. Her u-air makes her looks like a stiff board.

:ultpichu:: Oh, look. It's a VoiD wanna-be.

:ultpikachu:: Hey, it's an ESAM wanna-be.

:ultpiranha:: Hey, it's a Brood wanna-be.

:ultrob:: His name means Really Obnoxious *****. His Arm Rotor is ridiculously safe, powerful, and predictable. It's any wonder why I end up getting hit by it. If I was Sakurai & Co., Arm Rotor would have a lot of cool down and if used in the air, R.O.B. would end up in a helpless state. Anyone who complains about big bodies needing to be buffed, maybe you should just get good.

:ultrosalina:: No one knows how to fight this character who supports child labor and doesn't care if her children die.

:ultroy:: Did we need a clone of Marth?

:ultchrom:: Did we need a clone of Roy, who is a clone of Marth?

:ultsimon:: I'm dealing with you much better, but you're still annoying.

:ultrichter:: See above.

:ultsonic:: Arrogant and annoying. It's any wonder how you have any fans.

:ulttoonlink:: It's applesauce boy. Anyone who mains Toon Link, just choose Young Link. He's way better.

:ultvillager:: See Isabelle.

:ultyounglink:: Like we needed another Link. It's been the consensus that the older version is better, at least canonically. Why do we need you?

:ultzelda:: If anyone thinks Samus/Dark Samus is annoying, I present you the Queen of Annoyance. Her entire toolkit is literally the B button. May Ganondorf capture you and may you never escape or be rescued.

Last edited:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
:ultbayonetta:: I have to avoid jumping the majority of the time, lest I get caught up in any attack that leads into an annoying combo. Remind me again why people want her buffed? Oh, right. Players typically don't know what they want!

:ultbowserjr:: He's Sonic on wheels, but he's worse because he has projectiles that stop mine and he can bait me hard by stopping his side special in the air. I have to pay close attention to him.

:ultcloud:: He's still oppressive and now he has an annoying up special. It's like Sakurai & Co. couldn't make any character unique after Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

:ultdiddy:: No one fights this character enough to know how to deal with him.

:ultduckhunt:: He's probably the worst match-up for any Samus/Dark Samus main. I swear his gunmen don't need to have a hitbox after getting hit.

:ultfalco:: That reflector has just a bit too much range, and now he can rack up a lot of damage from his u-tilt.

:ultfox:: He's just too fast and oppressive. I swear Sakurai & Co. gave every character with a sex kick a lot of knock-back.

:ultgreninja:: Water Sheik is too fast and has easy combos. I'd rather fight the original Sheik. If you're going to have so much combo power, you should be awful at killing.

:ulticeclimbers:: I don't fight these two enough, but they're not fun to fight anyway.

:ultisabelle:: F-air/b-air for days.

:ultjigglypuff:: I don't take this character seriously, but it's still a pain to deal with.

:ultjoker:: Arsene.

:ultlittlemac:: I know a lot of players say he's the worst character, but he's just stressful enough with that speed, super armor, and incredible knock-back.

:ultlucas:: This brat is overshadowed by Ness, but he's actually the worst offender when it comes to PK Fire. You can get out of Ness' PK Fire. This brat kills with it and is safer when doing so.

:ultluigi:: Get out of here. Your brother will always be better than you. You'll always live in your brother's shadow.

:ultmiifighters:: It's a grave sin to play as any of these knock-offs. Seriously, Mii Brawler has stupid kill power, Mii Gunner is a better Samus, and Mii Swordfighter isn't even a swordfighter, considering he/she uses projectiles him/herself.

:ultgnw:: One problem I have with Sakurai & Co. is that some characters can use d-air and recover, while others plummet to their death. This ************ didn't need a reflector.

:ultness:: Normally, Ness isn't an issue, but today I once again fought the same Ness I fought yesterday. He gives all Ness mains a bad reputation with his incessant PK Fire. Not to mention, he started tea bagging when I'd lose a stock. I made sure he lost and tea bagged back before blocking his sorry ***. I'm sorry you Ness mains are often lumped together with the bad apples.

:ultpacman:: "He has bad aerials", said the liar. This character isn't fun to play against at all. He's probably Samus'/Dark Samus' second worst match-up.

:ultpalutena:: The goddess of light? More like the goddess of blight. She's a pain in the ***. Her u-air makes her looks like a stiff board.

:ultpichu:: Oh, look. It's a VoiD wanna-be.

:ultpikachu:: Hey, it's an ESAM wanna-be.

:ultpiranha:: Hey, it's a Brood wanna-be.

:ultrob:: His name means Really Obnoxious *****. His Arm Rotor is ridiculously safe, powerful, and predictable. It's any wonder why I end up getting hit by it. If I was Sakurai & Co., Arm Rotor would have a lot of cool down and if used in the air, R.O.B. would end up in a helpless state. Anyone who complains about big bodies needing to be buffed, maybe you should just get good.

:ultrosalina:: No one knows how to fight this character who supports child labor and doesn't care if her children die.

:ultroy:: Did we need a clone of Marth?

:ultchrom:: Did we need a clone of Roy, who is a clone of Marth?

:ultsimon:: I'm dealing with you much better, but you're still annoying.

:ultrichter:: See above.

:ultsonic:: Arrogant and annoying. It's any wonder how you have any fans.

:ulttoonlink:: It's applesauce boy. Anyone who mains Toon Link, just choose Young Link. He's way better.

:ultvillager:: See Isabelle.

:ultyounglink:: Like we needed another Link. It's been the consensus that the older version is better, at least canonically. Why do we need you?

:ultzelda:: If anyone thinks Samus/Dark Samus is annoying, I present you the Queen of Annoyance. Her entire toolkit is literally the B button. May Ganondorf capture you and may you never escape or be rescued.
LOL I enjoyed reading a bunch of these. I think your list contains every single character I find annoying

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I have a few:

:ultsamus: :ultdarksamus: - MOST, and I say MOST, Samus players online just make a beeline to the edge of the stage at the start and charge up that FRICKIN' charge shot. Like I know it's central to her playstyle, but still, it can be GODDAMN ANNOYING! Heck, even a noob can pick her up and win lots of games. She's like a braindead character to me.

:ultvillager: :ultisabelle: - that slingshot of theirs and Isabelle's fishing rod is annoying to deal with sometimes.

:ultness: :ultlucas: - spends most of their time spamming PK Fire, PK Freeze, PK Thunder and what not. Then spams grab followed by fair, or simply backthrow which kills.

:ultzelda: - a lot of Zelda players I come across online are quite campy. Sometimes I have a hard time approaching due to not playing a projectile-based character.

:ultolimar: - the little bugger is too small to hit and does TOO MUCH DAMAGE on their smash attacks for a lil guy like him.

:ulthero: - THAT STUPID RANDOM CRIT KILL AND RNG GETS IN THE WAY TOO MUCH!!!

:ultmegaman: :ultrob: - having a whole arsenal of projectiles makes it impossible for me to approach.

:ultpalutena: - I used to not hate this character so much, but the fact that she's an annoying matchup for the superheavies makes me not want to fight against her sometimes.

:ultzss: - She is SO FRICKIN' FAST!!! :ultsonic: is too, but I can still somewhat deal with him.

:ultyoshi: - likes to stay in the air, has the fastest air speed, and hits unbelievably hard for a small character.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
:ultluigi:

I love the character, but he sure is a pain to deal with in Smash Bros. ever since Brawl.

Honorable mention goes to :ultsonic:, :ultness: and :ultrosalina:.

Last edited:

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
:ultincineroar:
I swear I hate this character so much, mainly cuz I don't know the matchup and everytime I run into one I'm playing as Link and struggle. I remember time I clanked with a revenge powered f-smash and was stuck in recoil lag, meaning I had to eat another F- Smash. His Lyriat is also annoying since it's fast, murders shields, and also makes any other attacks clank.
:ultzelda:
Tries to get within attack range of Zelda
Zelda Users: Time to mash that B-Button
:ultluigi:
Oh look, it's Luigi, time to deal with grab spam.
:ultpikachu::ultpeach::ultzss:
Will you stand still you annoying-

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
:ultpalutena: is one of my most hated opponents in this game. Nair chains, how free up air is (Covers many options and beats out lots of others as well), back air fishing with the complete invul on her shield, exploding flame, auto reticle, and so on. The engine change and her buffs overall were really good to her and took her from being 'meh' last edition to super frigging annoying in Ultimate. I can't stand playing against her and, unfortunately, she's used by many in my local meta. T_T

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Also forgot to mention:

:ultsquirtle: - Nothing too much annoying about him besides him being very small to hit and his combos are wack.

:ultivysaur: - Annoying projectile, super disjointed hitboxes that are frustrating to deal with, can't really edgeguard him or you'll get hit by his disjointed down air.

:ultcharizard: - Bair killing at 50% is not acceptable, body armor on some of his overpowered moves is just stupid to be honest.
Here's a few tips from a PT main.

You absolutely can edge guard Ivysaur - remember that Dair can only hit enemies below Ivy, and if you're edgeguarding properly you'll be staying above her as to not overextend. Vine Whip doesn't protect Ivy on the way up so its actually really easy to intercept. The thing that makes Ivy hardest to edge guard is their ability to switch to Zard, which is still punishable if you know how.

Charizard only has armor on two moves - Fly (which will mostly just be used off stage or OoS, its too risky otherwise) and Flare Blitz (really powerful but is also super punishable). Don't careless throw out attacks and be prepared to shield at any moment and Zard will have a very difficult time finding a chance to use that move.

To edge guard Fly, wait a moment before you try to intercept it. That move only had armor during the start up.

I don't know really, he just seems to live longer and when picked as a CPU fighter, he seems much more aggressive and competent than the other characters.
IIRC, somebody actually did some experiment in Brawl that shows CPU Level 9 Luigi actually does have the best AI of anybody in the game.

Last edited:

Fenrir-Bolt

Banned via Warnings
Falcon, and sometimes Fox and Wolf. I don’t don’t hate the characters inherently but I just have found them irksome and cannot help but think they’re almost a little cheap in their moves. For one, they’re all way too fast, but they have fairly decent defense as well and find them hard to launch. If it wasn’t just that far range laser beam that can easily whittle away your health from afar, they’ll reflect almost anything back at you and then they’re up A kick is just really difficult, almost impossible to dodge. I’ve known people who just stand around shooting and using up A kick and there’s nothing you can do, you’ll lose the match. You can’t really Shield, perry or evade it.

Otherwise, none of the characters really bother me.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
My list of characters I hate fighting online:
:ultsamus:/:ultdarksamus:: Spam Charge Shot
:ultzelda:: Spam magic
:ultlink:: Arrow and bomb spamming
:ultyounglink:: Fire Arrow and Down B spam
:ultness:: PK Fire
:ultinkling:/:ultinklingboy:: Splat Roller is hard to escape
:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:: Axe and Cross spam
:ultgunner:: Spam 2 Electric Boogaloo
:ultwiifittrainer:: Soccer ball and neutral special spam.
:ultlucina:: Impossible to hit.
:ultmario:: Mario tornado spam
:ultpichu:: It's like trying to kill a super fast fly
:ultpikachu:: Down B spamming
:ultfox:: Melee shouldn't have existed in the first place, no offense

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I only hate fighting the Miis.

I feel that all of them have some kind of shenanigan that makes them absolutely disgusting to fight.

:ultbrawler: has that dang spiking kick which people abuse at the edge. It got me at 0% one time, and I thought that was one time too many.

:ultswordfighter: is less of a nuisance, but his side+b pinwheel move, and his Dair are just... ugh.

And :ultgunner:, holy hell, the levels of spam. Not even casting Bounce is enough. Not even BOUNCE. Because his smash attacks aren't considered projectiles for some reason *cries in :ultmegaman:*

Last edited:
Top Bottom