• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Hated Character to Fight - Be Civil

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This is the funniest thing I've read today. I've yet to see any of this. This is no scientific talk, either. This is pure fiction. I'll go with the bias for one's own creation.
You want evidence?
http://www.hawking.org.uk/space-and-time-warps.html
http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/bmendez/html/time.html
https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/dr-marc-space/time-travel.html
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel/
https://www2.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/teachers/massenergy.pdf
Basically, the more you approach the speed of light, the slower time appears to flow, and the more mass and energy you have. If you go faster than that, you can either travel back in time, or the sheer energy you produce can create a singularity. This isn't fiction.

So it's possible Kirby did this upon the warp star. But you know what is fiction? You silly idea that Sakurai was biased.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
The kids from Mother...

I'm tired of hearing their high pitched voices as they fill the stage with PK-whatever, and I don't find them aesthetically pleasing to look at, either.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I didn’t play online much but it was tiring seeing a lot of Ridleys and K. Rools.

I don’t hate the characters themselves though.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You want evidence?
http://www.hawking.org.uk/space-and-time-warps.html
http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/bmendez/html/time.html
https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/dr-marc-space/time-travel.html
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel/
https://www2.lbl.gov/MicroWorlds/teachers/massenergy.pdf
Basically, the more you approach the speed of light, the slower time appears to flow, and the more mass and energy you have. If you go faster than that, you can either travel back in time, or the sheer energy you produce can create a singularity. This isn't fiction.

So it's possible Kirby did this upon the warp star. But you know what is fiction? You silly idea that Sakurai was biased.
A swing and a miss. I suspect you didn't read a single article you linked, but that's fine. I was asking for evidence of the claims you made about Kirby. And when I say evidence, I don't mean interpretations of evidence. Now, it is fact that Samus' ship can travel faster than light, but she couldn't escape these beams from Galeem? Sakurai owns Kirby. He owns SSB. There's no reason for me to think he didn't want Kirby to be the hero. Just look at SSE. Who is the hero? Kirby. It's not the first time. No one is unbiased, my friend.

link2702

Smash Champion
The nair spam goddess, duck hunt, megaman,pretty much all projectile heavy characters, but most of all...

Ness. :|

As a ganon main, those characters are all hell to face, but ness is without question the worst. I pretty much just put the controller down now against any semi decent ness. Ganondorf just has no real way to deal with him far as i can tell.

Honorable mention is zelda, though I think part of my issue with her is I get hit by her up b in some pretty stupid situations that i really should know better than to get hit by in.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing wrong with picking up easy to play characters, it still doesn't change the fact that people with better button control and experience will 9 out of 10 times beat you even if you picked up an easy character.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A swing and a miss. I suspect you didn't read a single article you linked, but that's fine. I was asking for evidence of the claims you made about Kirby. And when I say evidence, I don't mean interpretations of evidence. Now, it is fact that Samus' ship can travel faster than light, but she couldn't escape these beams from Galeem? Sakurai owns Kirby. He owns SSB. There's no reason for me to think he didn't want Kirby to be the hero. Just look at SSE. Who is the hero? Kirby. It's not the first time. No one is unbiased, my friend.
So let's avoid getting off topic here. I don't like arguing with fools, so I'll sum up everything in this post. After that, you can rant in the shower alone if you'd like.

I did read those articles, but you clearly don't care. I guess that's what you have to expect from someone who refuses to see the other argument.

Claiming Sakurai was biased is one of my most hated arguments. There is no proof, evidence, or sliver of a reason to believe he was. Find me evidence that undeniably suggests Sakurai was totally biased in the story writing of SSE, first of all. Then, find me evidence that undeniably suggests that Sakurai was biased in the creation of World of Light, which barely has a story to begin with (fun fact: the opening cutscene is the only one Kirby appears in. Other characters are the focus of the rest).

Then, explain to me your binary caveman logic. "Me think Sakurai biased. Y? 'Cuz Kirby is hero." Here's what I see. If Kirby is the hero, Sakurai was biased: no question about it. Nope, undeniable, totally logical. We're just going to ignore the important roles every other fighter had in SSE and focus on Kirby. Pit saving the day to help the Mario and Kirby after the first bomb goes off? Never happened. Ness sacrificing his life to save Lucas? Who cares? Snake offering critical help toward the rescuing of the Halberd? Whatever. Samus saving Pikachu from torture? What the hell. Link and Mario going toe to toe after a misunderstanding of princesses? Bah, humbug. Fox and Falco saving Diddy Kong from Rayquaza and joining the effort? Irrelevant. Captain Falcon rescuing Olimar and single handedly taking down a giant R.O.B.? Bleh. R.O.B. being arguably the most important character in the story by becoming the Ancient Minister and then betraying its master? Nope. The story focused on Kirby characters at one point, therefore, Sakurai was biased in his decision making.

I've given you every piece of evidence you asked for. You refuse to recognize it because you can't accept that the other argument is logical. Kirby can survive Galeem's beams by traveling faster than light. That is also fact. So can Sonic. And Samus. And Mario. And probably at least half a dozen other characters in the game. Hell, Palutena and Bayonetta could survive by merely existing. So the devs had to narrow things down. Somehow, they decided that Kirby, Palutena, and Bayonetta were the only ones capable of not being engulfed by Galeem's attack. This meant that in some way, each of these characters needed a way to be able to travel or escape in the ten seconds they had, and accelerate past the speed of light within another thirty seconds. Sonic and Mario had no means of escaping the planet on foot. Samus' ship was nowhere near, and unseen in the cutscene. Captain Falcon tried to use the Blue Falcon to escape, but it took him too long to get in the vehicle--let's assume the same scenario would have been upon Samus as well. And, as evidenced by Falco, he didn't have enough time to accelerate to a speed fast enough to escape. The whole attack took place in seconds. Even the Pits were helpless to avoid the attack. However, Kirby can summon a warp star at will, that is fact. And we know it can accelerate to the speed of light in seconds, that is also fact. So it is reasonable that he could escape the beams faster than anyone else.

Another fun fact: Just before the attack, Shulk has a vision and sees the attack, and then turns around to warn someone who's eye level is apparently around the same height as most people's knees. This is probably Kirby. In other words, he probably warned Kirby of the attack, knowing that A). He was the only one capable of escaping in the small amount of time the attack took place, and B) he was the only one strong enough to defeat the spirits, bosses, and recuse the fighters.

Outside of story, from a gameplay perspective, the devs wanted the survivor to be easy to play so everyone would have an easy footing form the beginning. Ultimate was one of the Switch's crown jewels, so many new players would be coming to World of Light. They needed an easy enough fighter to let people toy around with in the beginning. Mario is easy to pick up, but there's no way he could have escaped the attack. Sonic and Captain falcon have very limited movement options and require a lot of focus, so they wouldn't have been the best choices to hand to a brand new player. A zoner like Samus would also be more complicated for new players, and they'd probably be tempted to spam projectiles up until a difficult spirit comes in there way and they don't know what to do. Kirby however, is arguably one of the easiest characters to pick up. He's simple and doesn't require months of learning to master. I'd bet a lot of money that's the reason why they toned down so many of Kirby's moveset (R.I.P. Smash 4 dash attack): to make him simpler for newer players.

But it doesn't matter why or how they chose Kirby to be the only survivor. There is still zero, zip, nada physical evidence that Sakurai was biased in his decision making. He explained why Kirby survived and you're just going to have to accept that. So what if he owns Kirby? He's never been biased toward the series before, why now? Mario has the most fighters, is he biased toward Mario? Fire Emblem got a lot of leg room recently, is he biased toward FE? Pokemon has so much representation in the game, is he biased toward Pokemon? Zelda and Castlevania got huge portions of World of Light devoted toward them, is he biased toward Zelda and Castlevania? Joker got a ton of extra features in his contruction, is he biased toward Persona 5? Considering how narrow the representation of Kirby content is in Smash, I'd say it's more likely he's biased against the series, not toward it. Besides, he left HAL sixteen years ago, before SSE was even a thing, out of frustration. He has had little to no input in the Kirby series since then.

Your proposition that he was biased when Kirby was named the survivor is pure speculation. You know nothing as a fact. There is zero reason to believe that any bias at all was made when the story was written--not that there was much of a story at all. And so what if he was biased (even though he clearly wasn't)? Who cares? What are you going to do, sue him in court? Protest in the streets? Demonize him or insult him? Nobody except you on this forum I have seen has a problem with the story writing. It's literally just character placement in a video game get over it.

But wait.... Crystanium Crystanium has the power to read minds!? Whoah! Let's defenestrate logic--they clearly know that Sakurai was biased when Kirby was made the survivor. How do they know? A mystery it is! But clearly, without any evidence, logic, proof, or reasoning, they absolutely, unquestionably, undeniably know that Sakurai is a biased man who cares nothing except promoting a franchise he left out of frustration sixteen years ago! O great humble mind reader, please, bestow upon to me your power of reading minds so I too can point out people on internet fanbase forums and call them biased liars!

Eh, you know what they say. Never argue with a fool: They will drag you all the way down to their level and beat you with their stupidity. I guess this whole argument has been a waste of time anyway, friend.

So, getting back on topic....

Another one of my most hated fighters is King K. Rool. I'm guessing all of the meme montages and Alpharad videos has gotten people to believe that by spamming projectiles and down smash, your victory is guaranteed. It's like 99/100 KKR players pick one stock 3 minutes and items and hope that they can get a cheesy win. It's really a snore to play against them.

Although, I did once meet a pretty good KKR main in an arena and we had a lot of fun.

Probably my next most hated fighters are the Samuses (:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:). I have never once met a Samus player online who doesn't spam missiles and charge shot and tries to land by carpet bombing the stage. I understand that Samus players have to use their brain cells now that dash attack and projectiles got nerfed, but it would at least be more exciting to play against one who actually relied on other options.

Again, I did find a really good Dark Samus on quickplay and played for like eight games straight. I ended up losing most of them but it was still a lot of fun to have an exciting opponent to play with.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Pretty sure the whole decision was likely based on two things:

1. Kirby has a vehicle that can travel faster than light. The main prerequisite for escaping Galeem.
2. Kirby is more iconic of a character than the other characters that can perform light-speed travel, he’s instantly recognizable by players of most ages, and he’s a Nintendo character. Would be pretty weird for someone like Sonic, or whomever, to steal the spotlight here.

They always know Kirby. Generally Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, Yoshi, and Kirby are still instantly recognizable by non-Nintendo fans. A lot of people unironically call Samus “Metroid” or “Iron Man” when presented with the character’s image with no context. Same way that they call Link “Zelda”.

If there was any bias at all, it’s more understandable for it to be on a character someone was involved with, concept to creation, anyway. Definitely over a character that could possibly be represented in an odd way to fans.

I’ve speculated the bias theories since the World of light trailer release. I have a feeling Sakurai was likely the first to realize people may think this way.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
1. :ultalph:
2. :ultsonic:
3. :ultwiifittrainer:

I had some terrible, humiliating experiences playing against these characters more than a few times....

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
User was warned for this post; flaming
Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma

And you still manage to fail. Your entire post isn't even what I'm interested in when I said I have yet to see any of this. You made statements about Kirby, like him being able to run FTL. Well, whatever.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
You have to work around his poor frame data, bad recovery, and lack of decent combos in order to play well as him.
-1: Actually that's not true at all... Doc's frame data is on-par with Mario who has some of the quickest moves in the whole roster.
Poor mobility would work in your explanation...

-2: Yeah I agree.

-3: He does have a variety of combos that not many people know about, but it'd take me forever to list them all.
Most of them just use Up-Throw, D-Throw, Up-Tilt, Up-Air and Pill.
Sometime D-Tilt, Up-Smash, B-air, D-air and even Cape on the ledge-hanging opponents also work.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
-1: Actually that's not true at all... Doc's frame data is on-par with Mario who has some of the quickest moves in the whole roster.
Poor mobility would work in your explanation...

-2: Yeah I agree.

-3: He does have a variety of combos that not many people know about, but it'd take me forever to list them all.
Most of them just use Up-Throw, D-Throw, Up-Tilt, Up-Air and Pill.
Sometime D-Tilt, Up-Smash, B-air, D-air and even Cape on the ledge-hanging opponents also work.
I probably underrated doc's frame. I think I might be confusing it for bad frame data because of shield stun on some of his moves.

What I meant by combos was he can certainly combo (and has a kill confirm) but he doesn't have the fluidity that Mario has.

Buckett

Smash Rookie
:ultpalutena:- Easily my worst matchup, and therefore I hate her. There's a guy who frequents my local GameWorks who has bred my hate for Palutena. She's so impossible to get to, so every match I play against her tilts me to oblivion.

Prison

Smash Cadet
Hate fighting Ganons, because as fox, i feel that I could be working them all match and one unsafe option literally takes my stock (ie: roll into a smash, empty hop to bait and get clipped, recovering low and spike)

Hate fighting Puffs because I had a really abusive friend who played her, and now I just associate that character to him.

Dislike joker, because press down b to win

I just hate douchey people in general, even at locals if we're in pools and you're acting like a prick, or just trying to cheese your way out of it, my distaste for you as a player is probably stronger than distaste for a character.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
:ultshulk: I just despise the character. The character models, the goofy ejack sword, the underwear model alt, the original games, everything. I'm glad I don't have any bad matchups against him with the characters I play because I do love to see him die. Dislike the stages, the music, everything.

:ultcloud: Same comments as above. Emo version. Very glad he's been nerfed hard, and again, love to hear him scream as he dies. A pity because if they had chosen earlier final fantasy characters, like say a Mog, and earlier FF music, would be amazing. We got this...

:ultjoker:I've given him a few weeks now, same vibe as above. Quite like shin megami tensei games and still irritated they chose this p-o-s instead of say Jack Frost which would have been a natural fit for smash. Again, stages, music, whole package, just.... awful.

There are a lot of irritating gimmicky flow chart characters in smash but in general in a fighting game I don't care so much about that because there's counterplay. Nothing can be done about really bad style and taste. There's some satisfaction in being able to blast the garbage off stage, I really do enjoy that, but I can't help but think better characters would have made me happier overall.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
:ultshulk: I just despise the character. The character models, the goofy ejack sword, the underwear model alt, the original games, everything. I'm glad I don't have any bad matchups against him with the characters I play because I do love to see him die. Dislike the stages, the music, everything.

:ultcloud: Same comments as above. Emo version. Very glad he's been nerfed hard, and again, love to hear him scream as he dies. A pity because if they had chosen earlier final fantasy characters, like say a Mog, and earlier FF music, would be amazing. We got this...

:ultjoker:I've given him a few weeks now, same vibe as above. Quite like shin megami tensei games and still irritated they chose this p-o-s instead of say Jack Frost which would have been a natural fit for smash. Again, stages, music, whole package, just.... awful.

There are a lot of irritating gimmicky flow chart characters in smash but in general in a fighting game I don't care so much about that because there's counterplay. Nothing can be done about really bad style and taste. There's some satisfaction in being able to blast the garbage off stage, I really do enjoy that, but I can't help but think better characters would have made me happier overall.
Cloud was represented a lot better in FF7 than he has been since then. IDK why they chose to start making him 100% edgelord instead of like...50% edgelord like he was in FF7. I used to not respect Cloud as a character either, until I actually played his game.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
:ultyounglink: by far. Not only is he able to spam projectiles without getting punished in any way, but he's really fast, allowing him to also be able to control the space near him. And guess what, he can kill off the side at 70 with his up B. Overall just painful to play against.

UserKev

Smash Champion
As far as characters I had trouble with when fighting against actually people, Bayonetta's constant aerial kill.

I still think fighting the CPU is worst because there's completely no way you can reason with them. CPU Shulk will spam one of the most op Counters in the game, really making you dislike the character.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Hate fighting Ganons, because as fox, i feel that I could be working them all match and one unsafe option literally takes my stock (ie: roll into a smash, empty hop to bait and get clipped, recovering low and spike)
Outplay for 4 minutes straight.

Screw up twice.

Lose game.

Can't say this doesn't tilt me as a fellow Fox main.

I just hate douchey people in general, even at locals if we're in pools and you're acting like a prick, or just trying to cheese your way out of it, my distaste for you as a player is probably stronger than distaste for a character.
Seriously why are competitive games' communities so toxic all the time? Half the reason I hesitate to attend tournaments is because I can't stand the culture. I just want to play the game and improve, not thrive by roasting other players all the time.

You're playing a video game. Even if you're amazingly good, you won't change the world, you aren't special, so maybe stop acting like it.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Lucario due to his Aura mechanic is annoying to deal with when he is at a higher damage percentage.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I kick anyone out of my arena who comes in playing him, or even has his face or the emblem as their user icon. Fight me.
That's really a childish attitude you have here. I mean, those people wanted to have fun or train themselves, and you just say no, just because of your personal tastes.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
The kids from Mother...

I'm tired of hearing their high pitched voices as they fill the stage with PK-whatever, and I don't find them aesthetically pleasing to look at, either.
Honestly, I feel ya.
I do feel like I have a tiny advantage being able to switch arts in hitstun, but relying on Shield the entire match isn't the most effective strategy seeing I do barely any damage and am slower than Incineroar.

Keep the conversation civil. The thread isn't made to be hateful to anyone's characters, but just to state why you hate fighting that fighting that character.

Prison

Smash Cadet
Seriously why are competitive games' communities so toxic all the time? Half the reason I hesitate to attend tournaments is because I can't stand the culture. I just want to play the game and improve, not thrive by roasting other players all the time.

You're playing a video game. Even if you're amazingly good, you won't change the world, you aren't special, so maybe stop acting like it.
I mean it's in human nature to be competitive, and want to succeed. So the idea of competition bring out the worst of someone does make sense, scientifically.

I think a lot of the reason people ego trip, aside from just being an ass, is the fact that; you may be better then them in any way, better job, better life, better friends, etc. But none of that matters in that moment, because they're better than you at that current activity.

Sure you could lie and say "it's not that important to me", but if that's the case, why are you even at a tournament?

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
that is and always will be :ultpiranha: since the moment he was announced!
the hatred was to big that i even refused to get him for free and now i still don't want him on my roster :p
but when i beat him online it makes me happy and satisfied though lol

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
the hatred was to big that i even refused to get him for free and now i still don't want him on my roster :p
Why do you hate it ;( ? It's a funny character !

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Name a swordsman. Any swordsman. Even Chrom who I actually really like as a character. They're all a pain in the ass to fight as Yoshi.

Special shout out to Marth though who has been a big thorn in my side since his inclusion. Particularly his grab in Melee out ranging Yoshi's goddamn elongated tongue that he's known for.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Not that I have an issue with it, but don't you think it's a little anti-progressive to be hating a fighter over half a year after they were announced? It's not a big deal for me personally, but I can say form experience that hating a specific character or series for too long isn't pleasant.

Anyway, I should probably mention that I'm not a fan of :ulticeclimbers: online, since the only people who dare to play IC's online are those who know how to desync combo, and it royally sucks to hop online just go get bodied by an unfair combo.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
Honorable mention for me
:ultsnake: - I always sigh whenever I see someone pick this character. It's the only bad MU for Shulk, and playing against him is just so difficult.
Even :ultshulk:'s huge aerials don't seem to do much against Snake, I hate fighting Snake.

Even though Snake is actually really cool

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Not that I have an issue with it, but don't you think it's a little anti-progressive to be hating a fighter over half a year after they were announced? It's not a big deal for me personally, but I can say form experience that hating a specific character or series for too long isn't pleasant.
actually no, why would it be a problem if i did? everyone have their reasons for hating a certain character or series even if it would be stupid or a stupid reason to other people,
why would i all of a sudden pretend to like a character i hate? to please other people? yeah i don't do that >.>

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
**** Big Link. I can see People being annoyed by Young Link, being he is easily spammable but what that boi doesnt have is range and oh my god Big Link Makes me wanna superman out a window. Boomerang, bomb, arrow, nair Boomerang bomb arrow nair Boomerang bomb arrow nair Boomerang bomb arrow nair DASH ATTACK repeat
**** Big link

Joqu73

Smash Rookie
ness online is awful, I'm not saying ness all together are bad. I love some of the cool ness combos or neat pk thunder 2 setups, but the online ness mains I have been playing recently play by spamming side b and only using fsmash and projectiles

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
ness online is awful, I'm not saying ness all together are bad. I love some of the cool ness combos or neat pk thunder 2 setups, but the online ness mains I have been playing recently play by spamming side b and only using fsmash and projectiles
Agreed, also I love the profile picture lmao

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Oh man... there’s so many. But the character I dread to play online are:
Snake
Robins
Richter
Sonics
Chrom (kinda)
Samus (on a BF stage)
Robs
Link
Wii fit trainer
PAC man
Inklings
Paluntaina
Pokemon trainer
Megaman
Pichu

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
This is mostly a personal problem but I dont like fighting charachters with counters I actually don't mind them if the opposing player dosent counter much but when they just counter alot....ugh

Its mostly a me problem because I have trouble disingaging in advantage and waiting to punish there counter because all I want is to get that flashy kill then Bamm I got countered

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
All of the links, Samus, Ness, Bowser, Zelda, Snake, Sonic, Dedede, OmegaLulimar, Rob, Villager, MegaLulMan, D Simon/Richter, Krool, Isabelle, Joker, all of the miis

I can't stand all of the characters that are spammed online and, more likely than not, include the player trying to abuse some sort of obnoxious play style that is more or less "dishonest". What i mean by dishonest is that its cheese specific to online play.... So you're basically practicing against cheese that doesn't work offline for a variety of reasons. Not to say that there aren't players online that are great opponents, but when I run into a Link, my first assumption is that hes going to try to camp me on FD for 7 minutes straight. Sometimes you get one that is genuinely good... sometimes you get the turd variant that results in a boring and annoying match.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
ok how do you hate mii brawler there is no move to spam exept for suplex but if thats an issue than you should put Incineroar on the list

Top Bottom