• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Hated Character to Fight - Be Civil

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
Be honest.

There's always the one character that you just despise seeing. Wether it's just a character that annoys you, a bad MU, or just a character you can't get around, there's always that one character.

for me :
:ultyoshi: - I really hate this character. He can be so cheap and annoying, it's frustrating. The fact that people who are absolutely awful at the game can abuse a few moves and just win really grinds my gears.

GhostM

Phantom
Characters that grind my gears are both :ultmetaknight:, and :ultbayonetta:, not necessarily because of Smash Ultimate, but rather previous titles where these characters were dominant in competitive play. These characters for me were never fun to play against, as many people just played extremely cheap and spammy, especially against Meta Knight in brawl. Bayonetta was just a broken mess in Smash 4 but was toned down after several patches. I know it has nothing to do with ultimate, but seeing these characters just triggers the flashbacks. At least they’re not as annoying to deal with as before, but they’re still annoying.

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
For me I would say a three way tie between :ultyoshi:,:ultsnake:, and :ultpiranha: with an honorable mention to :ultkirby:

:ultyoshi:- I feel you Nutty Sponge Nutty Sponge , I hate fighting Yoshi. He's floaty, hits way too hard, and his moves come out ridiculously fast, makes me angry just thinking about it.

:ultsnake:- Just plain annoying. He never dies, kills really early, c4 gives him a ton of stage control, grenades have stupid knockback, and Jesus......up tilt. Did I mention this character is almost invincible on Battlefield.

:ultpiranha:- HOW DO YOU FIGHT THIS CHARACTER? Everytime I try something it doesn't work. Down b mid air, patooie for punish on hit, and if you finally get it off stage, there is like nothing you can do against it.

Kirby is just unfamiliar

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Flow chart characters. These include, but are not limited to, Mario, Young Link, Pikachu, Pichu, Joker. Whether or not I can defeat them is a different story. I just hate them because you can pick them up with little to no thought and be on your merry way.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I've literally always hated fighting Olimar in all three games he's in. It's gotten to the point where I've resigned myself to learning how to play as him just so I can learn how to counter him harder. I don't think I've really lost to any Olimar players in Ultimate (mostly friendlies to be fair), but I don't have fun in the match-up. It makes me want to stop playing for the day even though I win.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
The Yoshi hate really makes me sad...

There are plenty of characters I don’t like, but there is no character that really makes me cringe more than :ultolimar:. I have nothing against Olimar mains, but as far as fighting Olimar, I had more fun with the Pauline spirit than fighting Olimar. His grab range is ridiculous, his throws kill insanely early, his projectiles do so much damage, and he is such a small target, that he is really hard to hit. I understand that he is not an easy character to master, but that does not make him any less excruciating to fight. I dislike playing him, I get bored out of my mind watching him, and I despise playing against him.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
The Yoshi hate really makes me sad...

There are plenty of characters I don’t like, but there is no character that really makes me cringe more than :ultolimar:. I have nothing against Olimar mains, but as far as fighting Olimar, I had more fun with the Pauline spirit than fighting Olimar. His grab range is ridiculous, his throws kill insanely early, his projectiles do so much damage, and he is such a small target, that he is really hard to hit. I understand that he is not an easy character to master, but that does not make him any less excruciating to fight. I dislike playing him, I get bored out of my mind watching him, and I despise playing against him.
Yoshi big poo poo head >: (

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultalph::ultolimar: (Satan)
:ultcorrin::ultpokemontrainer::ultwiifittrainerm: (specifically the male version)
:ultdiddy: (never gonna let go of my Diddy hate)
:ultike: (nair...fair...)
:ultlucas::ultness: (PK everything)
:ultrichter: (:ultsimon: gets a pass only because of Captain N)
:ultyoshi: (yes to the hate in this game only)
Yoshi’s innocent and precious. :(
Yoshi commits tax fraud...innocent my *** /s...maybe

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
It’s gotta be Toon Link. Screw this character. If you play him, ya have no excuse. He’s not good enough where you can say you play to win, he’s not bad enough where you can John afterwards or say he’s disrespectful, he’s not cool enough either where you play him for hype. No. If you play this character, you actually like his play style of running away all game until bomb fair. You pour the milk in before the cereal box is even out. You probably support all the junk from Alabama. You unironically like the sonic movie trailer more than endgame. You are wrong and should seek assistance. And yes I’m biased because hyuga and the fact my little brother plays the character in the most degenerate way.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey everyone. I’m going to leave this thread open for now but please keep character bashing to a bare minimum. There’s no reason to overly bash the character and to ridicule players who use them. In addition, to players who may find their main ridiculed, this is the nature of the thread. Please don’t take accusations too seriously as they a matter of personal opinion. Try to keep discussion civil.

Please keep in mind that if the discussion gets overly aggressive/antagonistic, the thread will be locked.

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Joker. It's not a bad MU, it's not annoying to fight it, it's not something I can't get around. I decimate 99 out of 100 Jokers like it's free.
So you might ask why I say Joker then?

Simple answer. Overrated character, that is far too overplayed, from an overrated, overplayed title. Can't go into Elite Smash at this point because on average, at least 50% of the matches end up being Joker. It's gotten to the point that I kick anyone out of my arena who comes in playing him, or even has his face or the emblem as their user icon. Fight me.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Robin can be pretty annoying to fight. I feel bad for all the people who complain about PK Fire because if they ever learn where the shield button is then they'll find out that Arc Fire is the actual cancer because it ignites no matter what.

It’s gotta be Toon Link. Screw this character. If you play him, ya have no excuse. He’s not good enough where you can say you play to win, he’s not bad enough where you can John afterwards or say he’s disrespectful, he’s not cool enough either where you play him for hype. No. If you play this character, you actually like his play style of running away all game until bomb fair. You pour the milk in before the cereal box is even out. You probably support all the junk from Alabama. You unironically like the sonic movie trailer more than endgame. You are wrong and should seek assistance. And yes I’m biased because hyuga and the fact my little brother plays the character in the most degenerate way.
I play as Toon Link because I like Wind Waker. Some players get so caught up in following the meta and not showering they can forget that some people play as characters for reasons other than making sick montages undoubtedly loaded with cape**** references.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
:ultsheik::ultbayonetta:
Then :ultsonic::ultjoker:
The characters against them don't even matter here, I just hate getting bullied in the air even when it doesn't kill (lol, Bayo :^) ).

Last edited:

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
For me I would say a three way tie between :ultyoshi:,:ultsnake:, and :ultpiranha: with an honorable mention to :ultkirby:

:ultyoshi:- I feel you Nutty Sponge Nutty Sponge , I hate fighting Yoshi. He's floaty, hits way too hard, and his moves come out ridiculously fast, makes me angry just thinking about it.

:ultsnake:- Just plain annoying. He never dies, kills really early, c4 gives him a ton of stage control, grenades have stupid knockback, and Jesus......up tilt. Did I mention this character is almost invincible on Battlefield.

:ultpiranha:- HOW DO YOU FIGHT THIS CHARACTER? Everytime I try something it doesn't work. Down b mid air, patooie for punish on hit, and if you finally get it off stage, there is like nothing you can do against it.

Kirby is just unfamiliar
Seriously, Plant isn't even good yet there's always something that he does that just beats me.

Yoshi’s innocent and precious. :(
He may be precious, but not innocent. Have you seen his record? He doesn't pay his damn taxes!

Yoshi can be tough, but he is cute. While I don't like ceetain characters in SSBU, I don't hate them outside of SSBU.
Same honestly, there's not a character I actually hate outside of the game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Joker. It's not a bad MU, it's not annoying to fight it, it's not something I can't get around. I decimate 99 out of 100 Jokers like it's free.

Simple answer. Overrated character, that is far too overplayed, from an overrated, overplayed title. Can't go into Elite Smash at this point because on average, at least 50% of the matches end up being Joker. It's gotten to the point that I kick anyone out of my arena who comes in playing him, or even has his face or the emblem as their user icon. Fight me.
Persona 5 is an amazing game

Though I will say kicking people out of a game over one character is kinda petty
The characters against them don't even matter here, I just hate getting bullied in the air even when it doesn't kill (lol, Bayo :^) ).
I weirdly like how you hate all three Sega characters...keeping that family together to hate on

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I don't hate any character, but there are plenty I don't really like to fight.

I don't like fighting characters that force me to tiptoe around the whole game and play super lame to avoid taking 50+ damage in 2-3 hits. So :ultsnake: :ultganondorf: :ultolimar: :ultlittlemac: for the most part. I don't necessarily mean your for-glory-side-b-off-the-stage variants, like people who are actually pretty skilled with them. Even if I keep winning, it gets mentally exhausting after 5 games or so I need a break or I start to do dumb stuff that makes me eat heavy damage. I like going in, I don't always like sitting back and shooting projectiles.

Unrelated, but I don't like :ultzelda: either, probably partially due to online, but the fact that she has to play her game from like 6 Marth sword lengths away against everyone...yeah. Just not a fun character to fight. I'd fight a Snake all day over this one.

Honorable mention: Anyone with a comeback mechanic that gives them something high-powered for getting bodied. I'm looking at :ultlucario::ultjoker::ultlittlemac:(again). It goes from "let's fight" to a "dodge the KO Punch"/"camp out Arsene" minigame. I feel like I'm playing WarioWare over Smash.

I talk a lot of smack on a lot of other characters when I'm playing too. Don't care if they're top tier or bottom tier. It's nothing personal, just helps me stave off getting tilted versus trying to hold it all in.

Last edited:

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I have specific reasons for each character that I hate but too long to list so here is a list of characters that I really hate.

:ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultcloud::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultvillager::ultvillagerf::ultcorrinf::ultwiifittrainer::ultrobinf::ultpokemontrainerf::ultdiddy::ultness::ultlucas::ultchrom::ultjoker::ultisabelle::ulttoonlink::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultwendy:

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
Isle of Wight. It's in England by the way......
I have two views on this, spectator and competitor.

As a spectator, I find the swordies have become more linear than in previous titles (I'm one of the 11 Shulk mains in the world but this applies even to him) and I dunno, I just don't find them fun to watch (although fun to play).

As a competitor, I really don't like how Inkling functions; is there really any point to inking someone? It feels more of "oh they're inked, cool I guess", as opposed to "I need to ink this person or i'll do no damage". I'd like the character a LOT more if the mechanic was to be played around as opposed to just being a bonus.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice

Honestly, that's just stupid. Why even kick people just for liking the character? I despise Yoshi in SSBU yet I don't kick Yoshi players or people with his icon. Very immature to kick someone because they like playing a character you don't like.

I have two views on this, spectator and competitor.

As a spectator, I find the swordies have become more linear than in previous titles (I'm one of the 11 Shulk mains in the world but this applies even to him) and I dunno, I just don't find them fun to watch (although fun to play).

As a competitor, I really don't like how Inkling functions; is there really any point to inking someone? It feels more of "oh they're inked, cool I guess", as opposed to "I need to ink this person or i'll do no damage". I'd like the character a LOT more if the mechanic was to be played around as opposed to just being a bonus.
I'm in that 11, and I disagree. I think Sword characters are fun to watch, especially Shulk. Ike and Mii are the only swordfighters I don't like watching much, simply because Ike is so basic and the Mii just is a boring character. I do think there are fun to play characters that are boring to watch though, like for example I like playing Fox (I suck with Fox but still have fun) but don't really love watching him? Sort of a 50/50. Puff is a snooze fest (pun absolutely intended), I like watching her in Melee to a degree, but not in Ultimate. My favorite characters to watch are mostly just the complicated ones like Ryu, Bayo, Shulk, etc. feel like because they can do so many things with their moveset that I have a blast watching.

I have specific reasons for each character that I hate but too long to list so here is a list of characters that I really hate.

:ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultcloud::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultvillager::ultvillagerf::ultcorrinf::ultwiifittrainer::ultrobinf::ultpokemontrainerf::ultdiddy::ultness::ultlucas::ultchrom::ultjoker::ultisabelle::ulttoonlink::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter::ultwendy:
I don’t enjoy fighting :ultjoker: or :ultzelda:.

Why do so many people hate fighting Joker? Yeah his counter and Arsene are very annoying but I don't really see anything too troublesome other than that.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Persona 5 is an amazing game

Though I will say kicking people out of a game over one character is kinda petty

I weirdly like how you hate all three Sega characters...keeping that family together to hate on
Odd coincidence but that's not it^^. Wasn't even aware of that until you mentioned that.
(I actually like the Persona games but haven't played P5 yet.)

Nutty Sponge Nutty Sponge No real reason, I just dislike fighting against combo-heavy and these three came in mind really quick. Shiek still takes the cake, though.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Odd coincidence but that's not it^^. Wasn't even aware of that until you mentioned that.
(I actually like the Persona games but haven't played P5 yet.)

Nutty Sponge Nutty Sponge No real reason, I just dislike fighting against combo-heavy and these three came in mind really quick. Shiek still takes the cake, though.
Persona 5 is pretty much a literal masterpiece. Makes me wanna get money to play 3 and 4

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
i don't hate any characters but the most annoying for me would have to be mario's, luigis, doc when you play as ike. Palu,young link and zelda when playing as marth.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Flaming
Honestly, that's just stupid. Why even kick people just for liking the character? I despise Yoshi in SSBU yet I don't kick Yoshi players or people with his icon. Very immature to kick someone because they like playing a character you don't like.
You're mistaken. I don't kick them for "liking the character", I kick them because it's MY arena, and if I want to see the overplayed character that every other person is playing, which ruined one half of the online function by making it more stale than your IQ, I'll go to elite smash and play stale games. But hey, I'm the "stupid" one. Very "immature"and "stupid" of you to call someone "stupid" while asking a "stupid" and incorrect question that was already answered in the statement you replied to. Rest assured, my mental capacity is a bit too hard for you to reach up and grasp.

Last edited:

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
I'm in that 11, and I disagree. I think Sword characters are fun to watch, especially Shulk. Ike and Mii are the only swordfighters I don't like watching much, simply because Ike is so basic and the Mii just is a boring character.
Ha ha, don't worry, I know for sure that I'm in a major minority on the opinion. As for Shulk specifically, he's absolutely a better character in almost every way from his last appearance (RIP jab), but I find myself sticking to a single gameplan as opposed to running Shield to stop low % combos or Speed art to out run slower ones etc, the reason I think is because 1. Art length was shortened. 2. Vanilla Shulk got soooooo much better. As a result, I personally find that he's sacrificed some of his dynamic nature in exchange for a far more solid gameplan overall (thank god we can now hit shields without having to MALLC, eh?).

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
You're mistaken. I don't kick them for "liking the character", I kick them because it's MY arena, and if I want to see the overplayed character that every other person is playing, which ruined one half of the online function by making it more stale than your IQ, I'll go to elite smash and play stale games. But hey, I'm the "stupid" one. Very "immature"and "stupid" of you to call someone "stupid" while asking a "stupid" and incorrect question that was already answered in the statement you replied to. Rest assured, my mental capacity is a bit too hard for you to reach up and grasp.
Take it easy dude, there's no reason to start throwing insults.

Anyway, I hate going against King Dedede and Piranha Plant (especially the former since I fight them way too often) for the same reason. DEM SPIKED BALLZ.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Take it easy dude, there's no reason to start throwing insults.

Anyway, I hate going against King Dedede and Piranha Plant (especially the former since I fight them way too often) for the same reason. DEM SPIKED BALLZ.
They're in quotes for a reason. I'm only giving back to them what they called me. Also, I didn't 'start' it, I finished it. Thanks, bye Falicia.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Why do so many people hate fighting Joker? Yeah his counter and Arsene are very annoying but I don't really see anything too troublesome other than that.
He's overplayed, and most of the common ones just diddle around and desperately try to get Arsene charged so they can feel OP for a minute. Rinse and repeat.

He's a lot of the reason I dislike comeback mechanics in Smash. I wish they implemented FS meter more like SF supers and less like OHKO/healing moves so everyone would have a potential comeback mechanic, or even a better way to combat these "get bodied till my meter is full then I kill you in 3 hits" characters. Because right now comeback mechanics are kinda lame and cause people to have to play lame.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Keep the discussion civil. If you continue calling out individual fanbases and users, this thread will be closed.

yyy50yyy

Smash Rookie
King Dedede :ultkingdedede:is pretty annoying. Not difficult once you understand his gimmick, but annoying none the less. Spike balls 24/7. And Ganon :ultganondorf: is rough. Guy is slow as can be, but has some huge power and the suicide grab is annoying to say the least.

Last edited:

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
He's overplayed
Don't worry man, remember when Mew2 was the first dlc? The first month was nothing but him on for glory. I imagine it'll die down once the next character is released, or ZeRo posts a vid proclaiming someone to be OP lol.
I dislike comeback mechanics in Smash.
Perfect person to ask, which one drives you the most nuts? Also, how do you feel about Deep-breathing and Monado Arts? Not comeback mechanics as such, but I've used both to completely turn matches around after getting bodied through most of it. Just curious on what would be a considered the "lamest".

Top Bottom