• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most fun characters to play AGAINST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naov

Smash Cadet
There are some threads about most hated or annoying characters . But which fights do yo enjoy the most?

For me probably: :ultganondorf::ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultmario::ultsamus::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultdk::ultlucina::ultwiifittrainer:

I wish I played more against seldom used chars: :ultfalcon::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultpacman::ultpeach::ultmewtwo::ultwario:

I don't remember the last time I played against a :ultlucario:!!

GhostM

Phantom
For me personally, I enjoy fights with any character as long as the opponent is actually playing legitimately to become a better player. They don’t have to be the best, but as long as they are putting up a good fight without spamming, then it’s fun, even against some of the characters that grind my gears. It sounds like a boring answer but playing against skilled opponents regardless of what they’re playing is fun to me.

Even though most fights are fun, some characters that I enjoy playing against that stick out to me the most are:
:ultfalcon:
:ultdoc::ultgnw::ultpiranha::ultsnake::ultyoshi::ultfalco::ultfox:

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
There are various traits certain characters have that I find enjoyable to fight. They are:

Characters with recoveries that can be intercepted or gimped in some way.
Characters that are not too small (I dislike Kirby, MK, Pichu/Pikachu, Squirtle, etc)
Characters that do not have projectile-based playstyles (like Link, Villager, Isabelle, Belmonts, and others)
Characters that do not have very long, frustrating, and/or easy to do combos.

In general, I enjoy fighting heavies the most. They're most likely not to exhibit the traits I find undesirable in an opposing character. That'd put my list with:

:ultdk: :ultkrool: :ultike: :ultganondorf: :ultbowser: :ultkingdedede:

I also enjoy fighting fire emblem swordsmen as well, so I could add

:ultlucina: :ultchrom: :ultmarth: :ultroy: :ultike: :ultcloud: (I know he isn't FE)

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
These are the match ups I enjoy.
Combo practice / Don't get hit: :ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultike::ultincineroar:
All about neutral: :ultcorrin::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultpit::ultdarkpit:
Explosive gameplay: :ultfalcon::ultlucario::ultkirby::ultryu::ultken:
Minesweeper: :ultlink::ultsnake:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
My matches with :ultdk::ultwiifittrainer::ultlucina::ultpiranha::ultpalutena::ultganondorf: and :ultinkling: have been my most fun and intense matches. They felt challenging and fun instead of feeling cheap or boring. Another fighter is :ultrichter: because Belmonts make for great combo food and I know how to body them quickly.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Probably a very unconventional list:
:ultsnake::ultsamus::ultness::ultpacman::ultyounglink::ultfox::ultwario::ultgnw::ultpalutena:
Also kinda fun: :ultinkling::ultrob::ultroy: (even though Roy is probably the hardest MU here and in the entire game)

Don't really get annoyed when fighting these 8 chars, even though some have a better time against my girl, like Fox. But they offer a pretty varied list of playstyles and can teach some things to the playerwhen you fight against those. Like, timing and usage of reflectors, when the deal more committal moves or simply better movement in disadvantage and neutral.
Then there are characters that just want to bully (:ultsheik::ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultjoker: :<) you but I don't think any of those characters can really bully...

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Normally you’d think I’d hate playing against snake since I’m a ganon main, and projectile characters are normally hell for ganon. But in ultimate, as a ganon, this is surprisingly fun matchup(least for me) I think part of this is cuz Ganondorf isn’t as screwed in this matchup as much as he is against other projectile characters. his weight makes it harder to get kos off the top which snake really needs, his range and power means he can take snake out just as quick as snake can ganon.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I have a surprising amount of fun playing against Pac-Man, because of playing around his hydrant. He uses it for setups, but that doesn't mean I can't try to use it for my own!

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
Honestly, as a puff main, I love playing against swordies. It's challenging, but since there's no projectiles, it's all about thinking really cleverly about where your opening is going to be - so I always feel a rush of adrenaline when I win against a good lucina or roy, I never have to question whether it was luck or chance.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
I, in general, like facing most of the cast. The only characters I can think of that I usually don’t really enjoy no matter who I’m fighting are :ultpalutena::ultvillagerf::ultisabelle::ultrob::ultrobin:.
Palutena’s too good at juggling and her back air makes it hard to get in close without her negating your approach, the Animal Crossing crew’s slingshot is aggravating, ROB’s aerials are hard to fight around (and his down throw to up smash is broke), and Robin’s often too spammy to ever enjoy the fight, win or lose.

Edit: Forgot to actually say who I like fighting in particular. I like fighting any of the FE characters, and I like fighting :ultfalcon:, since it’s a nice challenge to deal with a speed demon with a good footsies game that forces me to read rather than react.

Last edited:

yyy50yyy

Smash Rookie
One matchup I've worked very hard on and always enjoy playing against is :ultcloud:. His play style is similar to mine (:ultike:) and everyone plays him differently based on which moves they focus on. The match up is always challenging and I have a hard time getting the edge at times, but is incredibly satisfying to win.

Kulty

Smash Ace
The most fun characters to fight for me are the following traits:
  • Characters that are honest or balanced
  • Characters that are rushdown and heavies
  • Characters that do not over-rely on a single move, set of moves or cheese strats
  • Characters that are very easy to combo
  • Characters that are extremely easy to gimp
  • Characters that are not considered to have projectile-based playstyles
  • Characters that don't have a small hurtbox
Therefore, even as a:ultkrool:, even though some matchups are hard for him, there are some that I still enjoy fighting despite being bad MUs. I enjoy fighting these characters in general:
:ultbowser::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultdoc::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultmario::ultmarth::ultridley::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultken::ultsheik::ultwolf::ultshulk:.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
For me, it's gotta be any swordie or super heavyweight
For swordies, I like fighting against (as Ike): :ultike: :ultchrom: :ultlucina: :ultmarth: :ultcloud: :ultroy:
For super heavies, I like fighting against (as D3): :ultbowser: :ultkrool: :ultdk: :ultkingdedede: :ultganondorf: :ultincineroar:

Although :ultganondorf: is the most fun to play against, since half the time I end up gimping his recovery 2 or 3 times XD.

Also :ultpacman: and :ultduckhunt: are fun to play against, what with the fire hydrant nonsense with pac-man and duck hunt not being a popular character online.

And :ultkirby: for an EASY win =)

Last edited:

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon and DK and Inceniroar are who I like the most, but otherwise I just enjoy playing people who don’t spam or actually know how to play. ADont okay like a CPU or be stupid, then we good.

Spiking each other back to the ground is fun, and trading a lot is fun.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Probably Donkey Kong...

Everytime I see that lovable ape at the start of the match I think to myself--regardless of who I've picked--that I have the advantage in the matchup. DK is big, bulky, easy to juggle, not the fastest character on the roster, bereft of any projectiles; couldn't ask for more (less?).

Of course, half the time i get completely bodied by the ******, so I'm not entirely sure why he's my opponent of choice lol :upsidedown:

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Ganon. Hes so common online that I often times use him as my opponent in the trainer. I'm super comfortable gimping him and swagging on him as a result of the practice. The players are also usually bad in comparison to their GSP since Ganon generally lifts players up a bit online. Big easy hit boxes, early kills etc. Anyway, it is fun to run circles around them and abuse their habits.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Cloud while I'm Marth. This match up is so intense and both characters have awesome tools against each other it's really hard not to enjoy even though the stocks go flying by really quick. This has actually replaced my previous favorite marth matchup vs Sheik.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
:ultlink: is a great opponent. he has a lot of different options so i see different links employ different strategies. much more fun than every lucina trying to play rushdown. also link's moves have a good amount of endlag so i can get the reward of a bait & punish

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I get hype for good :ultlink: opponents as I find him the most fun of the Link trio to play against, even if I feel he's the worst (As a Pac-Player I love seeing high level item management and good Links using their remote bombs in creative ways is awesome (Though is also partially why I think he's the worst in how he has to work even harder than the other Links for overall less reward. But points for style).

:ultwario: is one I don't face often enough and is fun to fight.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
As someone who mains King K. Rool, facing other heavies with him is so much fun. It’s the battle of the big bois. I especially find K. Rool vs DK very fun.

Also for fun, I do like to face rushdown and projectile characters to see how K. Rool matches up against them. Certain characters can be a challenge to bait, but usually characters that show more vulnerability at being combo’d are the characters K. Rool has a smoother time baiting.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Characters with recoveries that can be intercepted or gimped in some way.
Characters that are not too small (I dislike Kirby, MK, Pichu/Pikachu, Squirtle, etc)
Characters that do not have projectile-based playstyles (like Link, Villager, Isabelle, Belmonts, and others)
Characters that do not have very long, frustrating, and/or easy to do combos.
This, pretty much. Falcon is the first character that comes to mind when I think "most fun character to play against." Typically, Falcon mains are probably one of the most chillest players I've ever come across. They're just genuinely fun to be around to play with. You can't even get mad at them if they style on you.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
This, pretty much. Falcon is the first character that comes to mind when I think "most fun character to play against." Typically, Falcon mains are probably one of the most chillest players I've ever come across. They're just genuinely fun to be around to play with. You can't even get mad at them if they style on you.
shame they ban all taunts online — “show me your moves!” deserves an exception

AstralSoul64

Smash Rookie
Anybody I can spike easily Lol. Nah, I'd say characters themselves are less annoying than the people playing them. I tend to fair a lot better against close combat fighters than zoners so I'd probably go with that.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Close ranged or difficult to master characters, i never feel cheated when i lose against a Cap. Falcon or a Ryu.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Who within the DLC pack is most fun to fight against?

for me it’s Hero

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Nice topic!

I most enjoy fighting; :ultfalco::ultganondorf::ulthero::ultjoker::ultkirby::ultlucas::ultmario::ultdoc::ultmarth::ultroy::ultmegaman::ultfox::ultmewtwo::ultbrawler::ultpiranha::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrobinf::ultdarksamus::ultbyleth:
If the character is more easily gimpable than other characters there is a good chance I'll enjoy fighting that character more as one of my favorite things to do in this game is take people offstage and make sure they don't get back up.
And yes, I put :ulthero: on this list because I find his random ridiculousness to create unexpected results make for a memorable wacky experience. I much prefer it over being repeatedly comboed by the same thing.

Some characters I didn't add just because the battles can be so intense that I wouldn't say its 'fun' but that doesn't mean I didn't still have a good time. Some of these include;
:ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultdiddy::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultlittlemac::ultluigi::ultlucina::ultness::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultryu::ultsheik::ultshulk::ult_terry::ultvillager::ultwolf::ultzelda:

Haven't fought nearly enough; :ultcorrinf::ultgreninja::ulticeclimbers::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultswordfighter::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultduckhunt:
Most of these characters I don't see enough to say for sure but from what I have played I have enjoyed fights against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom