• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most effective way to deal with swordsman and their counters?

roysrevengefgc

Smash Apprentice
NNID
roysrevengefgc
Afternoon everyone, coming in again with another question. I've decided I'm going to use Captain Falcon and fox in the tournament next month, so I'm laying out everything that I'm struggling with so that I can work on it during my training regimen. Aside from not being able to tilt correctly, another thing that I struggle with are swordsman and their counters. Using Captain Falcon or Fox, what is the most effective way to deal with their counters? Other than guessing and avoiding, are there any other tips and tricks I can use to help improve my chances of not falling into their trap? Thanks

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I’ve generally found that using high speed movement to make them need to guess what you will do next works Best along with strong punishes.

If they aim for being counter happy just grab them/charge a smash to punish the endlag.

Big thing is also knowing how to get back on the ground. It’s mostly using mixtures of movement and platforms when they are around.

Last edited:

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
The simplest way to tilt correctly is to remap your controls to have your C-stick be attacks instead of smash attacks. In a similar vain many find it easier to up tilt with tap jump turned off so you don't accidentally jump while up tilting.

As far as counters go it is one part reading your opponent and one part being unpredictable yourself. Counters have a lot of end lag so they are actually pretty risky to throw out. If you are getting caught by counters it could be you play too aggressively and throw out too many hitboxes which makes counters against you more effective.
If you can bait out a counter you can get an even bigger punish. It's hard to say without knowing your playstyle but I would just suggest maybe starting matches off slower. Both Falcon and Fox are rush down throw out move types characters. Most of the time a counter is a bad idea so people likely will use it sparingly. Don't forget too that they can't counter a grab so instead of tilts and smash attacks possibly more grabs will help you. Hope that helps and good luck. =)

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
So they counter, what do you do? the obvious choice, Grab. A less obvious choice, charge up a smash attack to punish their end lag, in other words, the time where they aren't able to do anything after an attack.

DCellZ

Smash Rookie
I don't counter against grab characters. Because that is how you punish counters.

Though, if I see you going for a bad untrue combo over and over again, expect to get countered.

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
Usually if they counter for, lets say, a Knee of Justice combo, chances are they will counter at the sam time if you do it again. So mix up your options and punish them in a different way.
They also have a habit of countering while falling to avoid up smash punishes, so take advantage of that and punish them.
Grabbing is allowed

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
So is charging your up smash longer to punish the counter, unless they decide to time their when you release up smash or near/at the end of your charge.

Top Bottom