• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most effective combo to rest/sleep

Insistent

Smash Rookie
Heya, i have been looking around for effective or not too dangerous combo to rest or sleep, im still not too good playing this character and the only good combo i know is fast drop with upair then immediatly rest or jump depending on damage, but then again i rarely managed to pull it off online.
I know there are many combo possibilities, but i was looking for tips to focus on an effective combo if possible.

Thanks

ChozoBeast

Smash Rookie
Uair into rest at like 40% works for most average or heavy characters

Last edited:

Insistent

Smash Rookie
Yeah, same for dair drill, sometime it work when the last wont kick them away, not sure how to prevent that reliably.
Otherwise i have not found a safe combo yet.

Last edited:

ChozoBeast

Smash Rookie
I would practice Uair into Rest. It’s the only safe combo I’ve used myself. Or use Sing. Jumping into a tight area with Sing takes care of most heavy characters.

Last edited:

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
I actually done a lot of testing with jiggly today. I found many results. Some good and some bad. Anyway, I'll keep this to rest since this is what this tread is about.

I personally find that rest is now not so much a kill option. Well it is, but it's really difficult to combo into once people get mid or high%. At low percent it never kills, but does a lot of damage and that is what I feel like this moves main use will be. Early rest for good damage starting. I'll write some combos I can make work.
Up tilt into rest isn't too difficult at around 10%. This seems to work on almost everyone regardless of their weight. Sometimes you need a second utilt.
Pound from the ground into a jump rest. This is tricky though.
Jab reset rest is still a thing.
On fast falling characters, you can down throw into rest if you are good at reading their movements. Tends to get a kill if they're about 32%+ At around 45-50% this doesn't really work anymore.
Up air into rest.

A test I still need to check is the dash grab into rest.

Insistent

Smash Rookie
Nice thanks for the tips, good to see puff isnt that forgotten in the dust. :)
I think ive seen like 3 puff in my total of around 350 match.

Last edited:

Insistent

Smash Rookie
By the way, do you have any tips to fight sword fighter? Do you alway aproach opponent on the ground? Flying is so slow and floaty, easy to get hit.

Last edited:

puff..jigglypuff

Smash Apprentice
I'll need to do more testing with her against more characters. So far it seems that sword characters just destroy her but then I can't really focus with the amount of online lag at the moment. Jigglypuff really doesn't do well with lag of any kind. She requires more precise timings and inputs in comparison to a bunch of the others, personally, but this is to be expected since shes a combo character.

Usually with sword characters you could do bair pressure, though with the character turn around after the first bair that kinda ruins it a little. I'm currently trying to find a way to keep at it without turning. I'm sure there must be a way to do it. Her dtilt has a much bigger knockback that it used to and it's range is pretty nice. It's a nice option for edgeguarding and works against sword characters if you can get them off.

I've mained jiggly since melee so I'm not giving up on her haha.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Heya, i have been looking around for effective or not too dangerous combo to rest or sleep, im still not too good playing this character and the only good combo i know is fast drop with upair then immediatly rest or jump depending on damage, but then again i rarely managed to pull it off online.
I know there are many combo possibilities, but i was looking for tips to focus on an effective combo if possible.

Thanks
Sour spot fair to rest works, uptilt to rest works and can kill at the top of platforms if the percentage is right. Falling dair to rest is very inconsistent because the dair shifts the hurt box so much and the combo is also character dependent it seems.

The most consistent one I've gotten is uair to rest which works at kill percentage around 35%-55% on light weights, 45%-65% on middle weights, and 65%-85% on heavies.

SirWoo

Smash Rookie
Dair to rest works pretty well. I've found it works better when you're facing away from the opponent, as it won't launch him/her away from you, also fast falling helps. Jab to a quick forward jump rest also is pretty good even though it isn't a true combo. Also sing to rest is obviously very good.

W4wambo

Smash Rookie

Thanks
I actually found pound (side special) => sour spot Fair=> rest pretty consistent and deadly, I don't know the exact precents it work, around low to mid but you probably get it in the air so it's pretty crazy

Last edited:

Solar Sonic

Smash Rookie
I've played quite a bit of Puff. Honestly, most of my Rest kills come from roll-in reads (platforms are useful there and both Fair and Nair can lead to tech situations). At certain percents you can do aerial Pound>Rest and Rest is also a stupidly good combo breaker because of it's intangibility frames (for example you can Rest out of Bayo combos, Mario up-air combos, some d-throw combos and more) and it's a decent OoS option to punish landing aerials with bad spacing.

M2 Is God

Smash Rookie

Thanks
The most effective one I have seen is to auto cancel a reverse aerial rush dair. Not sure if that still works though since I don't play Jigglypuff

Nemesis / Nems

Smash Rookie
To be completely honest i personally dislike even trying to combo into rest.I like using a Bait and Punish play style with Puff where i just use Rest on its own to kill..no combos attached.

Last edited:

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
I think it's important that people needs to be careful when they go for uair into rest, since people can actually DI the Uair and mess up your rest opportunity.

As a side note, yes, bait and punish is a staple for Jiggs but current combos are imperative if you want maximum performance as Jiggs because a missed tech from the opponent = stock lost the moment he's at roughly 30%.

That is, if you wanna capitalize on the Punish while Baiting. But from my experiences, even that has some issues. By doing that, you force the opponent to play more passive, and Jiggs is usually bad at approaching effectively, and that makes you have to make twice the effort into baiting them to make a mistake.

Last edited:

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
I've played quite a bit of Puff. Honestly, most of my Rest kills come from roll-in reads (platforms are useful there and both Fair and Nair can lead to tech situations). At certain percents you can do aerial Pound>Rest and Rest is also a stupidly good combo breaker because of it's intangibility frames (for example you can Rest out of Bayo combos, Mario up-air combos, some d-throw combos and more) and it's a decent OoS option to punish landing aerials with bad spacing.
Rest breaks mario's up air chains?

Hot diggity, that's a spicy bit of information. I saw a puff go up against Esam (He was really good, got him down to his last stock I think) and used rest to break out of pikachu's drag down combos.

I'm the same as you for the most part. Rest is an amazing roll punish tool. I don't really think any of puff's rest combos are truly consistent, except sing into rest. Otherwise, some are just more consistent than others, u-air rest being the next best one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom