• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most annoying enemy in video games?

D

Deleted member

Every enemy in metropolis zone in sonic 2 besides the starfish bombs always seem to put my ring counter from 30 to 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Some people would say the dude in my avatar.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Personally, I always found Fission Metroids in Metroid Prime to be spectacularly annoying – even moreso than the final boss and namesake of the game. The most annoying stretch of any game was also in Metroid Prime, due to Space Pirates in the first run through Phazon Mines. The enemies weren't terrible alone, but getting through so many rooms and enemies was not fun.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Usually the ones that can reproduce/call in for help and the ones that explode/burst into flames in the Mother franchise.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Some people would say the dude in my avatar.
He was only an issue if I tried to use blades on him. Those scales aren't exactly easy to cut through. The Rajang is much more of a pain.

Some people have said the Rabid line of enemies from the Borderlands games are troublesome to deal with. I think the Crystalisks are harder though, especially when there are multiples of them around. You have to kill them in a specific way (nail the glowing crystals on their legs) which isn't normally a problem, but the highest difficulty nets them a 4x health boost. This, combined with their immunity to being weakened in any way possible will put a big strain on your ammo supplies, even with all ammo upgrades and the biggest guns in your arsenal. And their attacks HURT. A lot. If you run into groups of these guys and try to challenge them, you're gonna have a bad time.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
Usually the ones that can reproduce/call in for help and the ones that explode/burst into flames in the Mother franchise.
Don't forget the mushroom enemies. :ness:

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Don't forget the mushroom enemies. :ness:
And the ones that sometimes steal your items or PSI, although it's not as annoying. But yeah, whenever I see a mushroom enemy, my natural instinct is to bash it until it dies. Otherwise its spores will ruin everything.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
And the ones that sometimes steal your items or PSI, although it's not as annoying. But yeah, whenever I see a mushroom enemy, my natural instinct is to bash it until it dies. Otherwise its spores will ruin everything.
It's not very spore-tsman like of them.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
He was only an issue if I tried to use blades on him. Those scales aren't exactly easy to cut through. The Rajang is much more of a pain.
Most people who play MH hate themselves so they never gun.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Not quite sure what you mean there.
People love to play Blademaster. FU Plesioth's hitboxes made most blademasters cry. People hate themselves because they'd rather suffer mile wide hipchecks than just gun him free. :)

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
People love to play Blademaster. FU Plesioth's hitboxes made most blademasters cry. People hate themselves because they'd rather suffer mile wide hipchecks than just gun him free. :)
Some monsters are just better handled with guns, with the Plesioth being one of them. I don't think going ranger is a crutch, though.

Anyway, I use both styles pretty regularly. Of course that depends on what monsters I'm going up against.

Nah

Smash Champion
I never liked these things:

Also anything with the Counter skill in Fire Emblem games.

And the Spider Ball Guardian in Metroid Prime 2, **** that thing

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I never liked these things:
What is that thing? I feel like I've seen it before.....

And the Spider Ball Guardian in Metroid Prime 2, **** that thing
That battle was a bit too gimmicky, but at least it's an easy battle.

Speaking of gimmicks....

F**k you Master Gee with your invincible shield that can only be damaged by acid from your irritating sand worm minions!

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I'm surprised nobody has dared to mention these terrifying, yet annoying little ****s from the earlier Mario Games:

Phantos were the bane of my existence as a kid. These annoying little monsters would chase you endlessly as long as you have their precious little Key in hand. They could not be beaten unless you had the combination of the Star and another Item in the Game.

However, even if you did manage to take it out another one would just take it's place if you entered another room...

So while you're dodging these punks you're also dodging enemies and Stage Hazards, trying to... Ya know, live. You could avoid them by constantly dropping/throwing the Key around like you're the clumsiest person alive, but heaven forbid you accidentally throw it down a pit. Guess where you'll have to go to get it again? Some levels with these guys were a lot easier than others, but still...

My hate for these things were endless, and I'm glad Nintendo hasn't made another enemy as annoying as this in the next Ga-

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
If you've played PvZ2 as much as I do, you really learn to hate
It's called an Octo Zombie, and basically what it does is it throws octopi. It doesn't sound bad, but if the Octopus lands on your plant, it becomes incapacitated (unable to do anything) until the octopus hanging onto it is destroyed. It comes from one of the hardest worlds in PvZ2, Big Wave Beach. Seriously, the world's a living nightmare upon itself.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
This thing:

This a-hole gave me so much grief that I thought wasn't possible. The game was already hard enough, but holy crows this was ridiculous. Of course, this was the moment I found out that Sypha with Holy Lightning wrecks EVERYTHING.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
If you've played PvZ2 as much as I do, you really learn to hate
It's called an Octo Zombie, and basically what it does is it throws octopi. It doesn't sound bad, but if the Octopus lands on your plant, it becomes incapacitated (unable to do anything) until the octopus hanging onto it is destroyed. It comes from one of the hardest worlds in PvZ2, Big Wave Beach. Seriously, the world's a living nightmare upon itself.
Yeah, I don't like that PvZ2 almost requires you to buy/use power ups just to beat the regular levels. I don't like the new football zombies that dash forward super fast until they hit a plant and one hit kill it, even walnuts.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
How in the heck has no one mentioned the most offensive controller breaking enemy ever

Medusa Heads

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
How in the heck has no one mentioned the most offensive controller breaking enemy ever

Medusa Heads

Much more troublesome due to their erratic patterns if you can't preemptively strike. Though not an issue in later games, his counterpart IS a problem, especially in groups.

TK8305

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TK8305
Wizzrobes in Zelda 1 & Zelda Classic! Very evily annoying! >.<;

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Ah yes, the wizzrobes. The basic Wizzrobe isn't by itself hard, but when combined with the moving variants (which is what usually happens), you're gonna have a bad time.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
I second this. Assuming you're going through the dungeons in order, you can probably get through them just fine until you hit level 5. Good luck trying to survive in that early room full of Wizzrobes that you're forced to fight through.

On that note, I'm also gonna add the Darknuts from Zelda 1 to that list. The only way they could be killed was by attacking them from the back or the side since they were armored in the front, but every time you got close enough to stab them, they would turn towards you and stab back. I think it was in level 6 (I'm not sure though) there was one room that was filled with blue Darknuts and had four fire-breathing statues in each corner. So much was on screen that the game would actually slow down. I remember having to struggle through that room so many times. One time I was able to finish off the last Darknut only to be killed by a fireball in the next second. That whole room is a death trap.

As far as other annoying enemies in games go, the first two that actually came to mind was Grace and Glory (and their powered-up counterparts Gracious and Glorious) from the Bayonetta games. If it's your first time playing through the game, you're practically guaranteed to die at least once or twice the first time you fight them due to their modest attack power and the fact that they're stupid fast. Not to mention they're always together, so you have to keep up with both of them at the same time.

The only other annoying enemies I can think of right now are half the enemies in Smash Run on Smash 3DS, mostly a large portion of the Kid Icarus enemies and some enemies that are just really powerful and/or keep spamming a move that's hard to dodge (Bonkers, the Polar Bear, etc.)

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Dogs and those grave wardens that lower your max hp temporarily by just looking at you in Dark Souls 3. In any turn based RPGs it would be the ones that can cast 1 hit K.O. spells on your whole party.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Dogs and those grave wardens that lower your max hp temporarily by just looking at you in Dark Souls 3. In any turn based RPGs it would be the ones that can cast 1 hit K.O. spells on your whole party.
Those Dark Dragon a-holes in FF VII. One Ultima and you're gone.

Last edited:

GuffMcGufferson

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3869-7120-5996
Enemies that won't die unless you hit them in a specific spot/way. One of the ones I remember the most are the police zombies in Left 4 Dead 2 that take every blow like they were slapped with a fish, unless you happen to hit them in the back, in which they're pretty much dead. The biggest problem is actually turning the zombie around so you can hit them in the back.

Others are ones that constantly heal themselves to full HP (or almost to it) right when they're one hit away from death, and just healers in general.

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
People with grenades or RPGs in Metal Gear Rising. You can parry most attacks with good timing, but the only solution with explosives is to run until it's gone. It makes me feel cheated when I'm hacking away at one guy but one asshole decides to shoot me with an RPG, ruining my S rank. Speaking of ruining S ranks, those ***** with machine guns. Yeah, you can block the bullets just by running, but it comes out so quick. Suddenly you have 0.3 less health, and you have to restart to just keep the S rank.

And, if it counts, Mei from overwatch. I hate everyone who plays her, I hate her design, I hate her voice, I hate her playstyle, and the thing I hate the most about her is fighting her. "You know how most enemies can kill you in 3 seconds or less? Lets make a character based around making you wait for your slow, inevitable demise that takes about 7 to 10 seconds to kill you with. Oh and give her a heal, the ability to become invulnerable WHILE HEALING, and have arguably the best shield in the game. I feel that both teams will enjoy this character."

end rant

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

Double Hammers. They don't look like much at first with their awkward movement, but then in a moment's notice they charge at you faster than you can run. And those hammers are no joke either, with their massive range and attack power that will even put the hurt on high level players. Better break out your most powerful Blunt and Lightning-based glyphs and hope you've built them up pretty well, because these guys can take quite a bit of punishment.

And get ready for double the fun when you encounter doubles (that's a lot of hammers swinging around right there).

Not quite as dangerous as his brother, as his attacks are a bit more methodical instead of just charging wildly at you, the Weapon Master can still be troublesome due to the variety in his weapons. Beware the range he has with the twin gurkhas he hurls as boomerangs and the barrages of knives that can catch those who don't quickly recognize the the patterns. He'll eventually break out the hammer on his back with jumping spin attacks that cover a wide area. You don't want to be caught under that. Also, he has more health than his gray brother, but the same weaknesses.

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
Personally, the enemies I hate the most are the ones that cling onto you and "suck" damage off and/or slow you down that are difficult to get off (e.g. the tiny Goombas).

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Rabid stalkers, EXP loaders, and suicidal psychos in Borderlands 2
Really? I always thought these guys are among the easiest. Rabid enemies are best handled with something that can distract them (like Axton's turret) or disrupt them (singularity or Phaselock).

Just shoot the EXP Loaders in their legs so they can't rush you. But even then, just walk away when they do try to detonate and you'll be well out of their blast radius.

If all else fails against the suicide psychos just retreat so you can get a better shot at them. They aren't as fast as you.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Ever played Drawn To Life? If you haven't, let me fill you in on annoying enemies: Shadow Bat, and Shadow Fish.
Shadow bat: They come in from above, and slowly come down to you to attack. Knowing this game is a platformer, this can easily get annoying. You have to stop or backtrack a bit for them to get in a general area to attack with your weapon
(snowball gun, acorn gun, starfish gun, or sword depending on the world)
Or if you can jump on them, but sometimes the area is narrow, it can be hard.
Shadow Fish: You get to the part where you can finally swim. But these guys are around, and they swim fast. Knowing you want to get past the level, you can flee them, but you must suffer 1-2 hits (Note: you get 5 hits before you lose a life)
Or you may use the starfish gun, but ammo is scarce if you shoot a lot.
Speaking of shadow bat above, bats in any game in general are annoying. Seriously, games need to be creative. Bats easily get generic and annoying that they pop up all the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom