Most annoying character to run into on quickplay?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still say :ultinkling:. But :ultolimar: is just as annoying, maybe even worse. Why the **** did they decide to give this dude a kill throw? It's stronger than Mewtwo's even, which is just weird.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Taunt party people. That they still exist in this game bothers me so much. It's not enough that everything online has to suck, now the people have to suck even more? I just went on to one match where everyone at the start decided to gang bang me only and never took shots at the others. I never even provoked them in any way. They sure liked tea bagging a lot.

Didn't help that it was a 7 minute battle and they proceeded to just tea bag for the remainder. I wasn't too salty about that, but I wasn't waiting 6 minutes, screw that. Yeah my hour penalty is on me, but why does Nintendo promote this douchebaggery?

Lacrimosa

Smash Journeyman
I don't really worry about projectiles because I play a character with a reflector. Meaning most of the Links I run into have to switch their playstile and most players can't do that well if they can't rely on projectiles that much as they can in other match-ups. Ness/Lucas are also surprisingly fun matches for me.
However, I consider :ultpichu:/:ultpikachu: , :ultyoshi:and :ultivysaur: as super annoying. Ivysaur and Yoshi because I lack real match-up experience and Pichu/Pikachu can rush Zelda down with no real problems. Sword characters are mostly ok for me, though. I know what they can and you can still wall down if needed (or I've never played a really good player using FE characters).

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Personally for me, it's having to deal with characters who have enormous shield pressure since blocking in this game has been nerfed, and playing against characters you have to chase such as Wii Fit Trainer and Zero Suit Samus.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
The guy who runs away until the clock runs out in hopes of winning sudden death.

Also when on omega stages (or whatever stage is the one similar to for glory, but with three platforms) Gets boring having to deal with a projectile spammer who hides underneath one of the far edge platforms and spam projectiles. Then when you close in on them they run off to the other side. I can beat them most times, but it is never fun. NEVER.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Ness and Samus, free. At high levels they take a lot of skill, but the majority of people who play the character (especially online) are idiots who spam the same stuff and run away. They’re very beatable (even online) but I don’t like playing matches that go to time.

Also Bayonetta. Maybe it’s because I never played 4, but I have no idea what to do against her combos. Even though you win because she can’t kill, it feels like you don’t play the game when she starts a combo and they go on forever.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Almost all Ness players that I run into online just pk fire the whole time. For Lucas its freeze. I used to come across a lot of Samus spammers on 4, but not so much on Ult.

Bayonetta was a lot worst on 4, especially pre-patch. When she first came out, almost everyone was using her. Her combos aren't nearly as impossible to get out of as they were in 4. If you got hit by her combo you might as well sit back and do something else. Not because you're dead, but because her combo was that easy to dish out and that hard to get out of.

Her combo on 4 did kill at low percents because one combo just dialed into another until the opponent was in the sky blast zone. I'm glad she got nerfed as hard as she did. Any online match for 4 was just predictable and boring whenever someone picked her.

Last edited:
Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
Let’s say rulesets are normal and no weird stages with low time. Personally I think the most annoying characters to run into are a good Snake, the Belmonts (not because they’re difficult, their spam is just annoying), Ridley when all they do is the command grab and fire balls, and spammy K Rools. Basically anything that spans over and over again and any zoners are annoying. What do you guys think?
One word: JOKER :ultjoker:

While I am decent at taking him down with Meta Knight, whenever I am playing with my other main, Lucina, it is hard to get hits on him because of that stupid shadow flame special, or his long-lasting counter, or that he moves so fast! Not only that, but when he hits you or you hit him, that stupid gauge fills up and he can summon a demon ghost that greatly amplifies his abilities!
While I am good at edge-guarding Joker or juking him with Meta Knight (teleport), whenever he summons his demon ghost, I pretty much have to run around or jump underneath the stage to get to the other side (Meta Knight has 6 jumps). And I can only do that with Meta Knight or Kirby. Whenever I fight Joker with Lucina, I can't avoid Joker when he has the demon ghost.
While Joker is pretty strong, I can still beat him with characters that have excellent recovery, but that's the line. Only characters with good recovery. I am not comfortable with playing as Lucina anymore because I'm being matched against Joker users. I'm not saying that Joker is broken or anything, he's just really good against characters with sucky recovery.

Some other characters that piss me off:
  • Mario
  • Pokemon Trainer
  • Ness (he doesn't require any skill and him saying 'Take that' is really annoying)
  • Lucas
  • Incineroar
  • Villager/Isabelle
  • Olimar
  • King K. Rool
  • Bowser
P.S. I'm not saying that the characters in the above list should be changed, neither should Joker.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon being played by skilled players.,.omg i just frigging can't.. i struggle alot against him lately..
i notice that each time when i do great against characters i used to get often defeated by...a new character appears that all of a sudden gives me trouble..this time Captain Falcon is it >.<

Naov

Smash Cadet
For me, the most Annoying are:

:ultbowser: who only relies on grabs
:ultness::ultlucas: who only spams, and are also the worst matchup against my :ultgunner:.
:ultjigglypuff: they ALL rely on the same gameplay of air combos
:ultsimon::ultrichter: who spam, but it has been a while since I played against one, maybe they are not used anymore on high gsp?
:ultbayonetta1: Most of times, i just hate her in almost every aspect haha

:ultzelda: has an annoying game too, but it is fairly easy to learn and punish. So I rarely lose to one now.

:ultmegaman::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultpichu::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainer: tend to be difficult but not annoying.

:ultjoker: is only annoying right now but mostly because everyone is playing it, the same happened with :ultpiranha: at the time.

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
For me, the most Annoying are:

:ultbowser: who only relies on grabs
:ultness::ultlucas: who only spams, and are also the worst matchup against my :ultgunner:.
:ultjigglypuff: they ALL rely on the same gameplay of air combos
:ultsimon::ultrichter: who spam, but it has been a while since I played against one, maybe they are not used anymore on high gsp?
:ultbayonetta1: Most of times, i just hate her in almost every aspect haha

:ultzelda: has an annoying game too, but it is fairly easy to learn and punish. So I rarely lose to one now.

:ultmegaman::ultwolf::ultinkling::ultpichu::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainer: tend to be difficult but not annoying.

:ultjoker: is only annoying right now but mostly because everyone is playing it, the same happened with :ultpiranha: at the time.
No offense, but a Samus main complaining about spam?

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Premium
Of course you don't. Anyone who plays Ness knows how frustrating it is to land a PK Fire on a competent player who is good. Even online. Which is why MG_3989 uses it sparingly. It's an easy move punish. Unless you're playing a braindead player. They run into it like moths to light. In that case, spam away. Get the match over with so you can move on to someone decent.

Sounds to me like a whole lot of assumptions about PK Fire and not a whole lot of proving that he's a braindead character.
The proof is in Yoyo and players with a 900,000,000 ping on their connection spamming PK fires you can't react to because you're missing 50 of the 60 frames a second or they lag 60 frames so half the time when you tap shield or jump, it doesn't buffer because it was on a freeze frame.

They clearly play a Mii fighter, not Samus, but you're not wrong, Samus mains spam online harder than anyone.

My peeve is joker because his counter actually carries people. I've hit jokers UNDER platforms with an uptilt and STILL got hit by their counter while they were above the platform. A lot of things carry joker outside of matchups with short characters.

b-b-b-b-ut he can't kill - said the the joker main who knows I'm right.

BULL, I've seen Joker kill people with good DI from center stage off the side blast zone WITHOUT arsen at like 100.

I've also seen this character consistently beatout Lucina fairs with frikin Jab..... JAB!!!

My last issue with him is, EVERYONE uses him. Call it "hype train for a couple weeks" all you want. It's actually draining to see 99 out of 100 matches be joker VS Joker or Joker VS X until they switch to Joker.

I was the same way about Plant when everyone was using him, the only difference is, players have to carry plant, Joker carries players.

Last edited:

Naov

Smash Cadet
:ultgunner: is not Samus, it's Mii Gunner.

I'm not really sure If I am spammy. Probably sometimes as most of its attacks are projectiles, but I try to vary my movies during the game to have more fun.

Actually I like to play against Samuses, because sometimes it feels like an arcade game with all the weapons trying to defeat the other each on a side of the stage haha.

As a Mii Gunner I use a lot the Drop Bomb, but other than that I vary constantly between smash attaks, dash, grabs and airs. :ultgunner: became my fav just because of that, it has so many good moves that you can always use all your moveset and vary the playstyle depending on who is the opponent.

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
:ultgunner: is not Samus, it's Mii Gunner.

I'm not really sure If I am spammy. Probably sometimes as most of its attacks are projectiles, but I try to vary my movies during the game to have more fun.

Actually I like to play against Samuses, because sometimes it feels like an arcade game with all the weapons trying to defeat the other each on a side of the stage haha.

As a Mii Gunner I use a lot the Drop Bomb, but other than that I vary constantly between smash attaks, dash, grabs and airs. :ultgunner: became my fav just because of that, it has so many good moves that you can always use all your moveset and vary the playstyle depending on who is the opponent.
My mistake. Thought the gun was Samus’s A bit of a brain fart.

Mikazuki

Smash Cadet
Joker has become quite annoying as well, because most players online play him like Ness, not the skilled ones, you know what I mean. Running back and forth and using sideb and dash attack over and over again. Also the occasional counter that gets hard punished by a fully charged fsmash. It`s also funny how every Joker gets up from the ledge by jumping and using sideb than eating a flip jump kick or pin to the face. Yeah, these flowchart type of plays really make him easy to deal with, but like with Ganon, Ness or Bowser you still get fmashed at 30% and die, adding salt to the injury.

Another thing that kinda annoys me is how many players online still play Ulitmate like Smash 4 and buffer a shield after each action, especially these grab greedy heavies. How many times do I have to Tomahawk or break your shield until you understand that it won't work?

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Joker has become quite annoying as well, because most players online play him like Ness, not the skilled ones, you know what I mean. Running back and forth and using sideb and dash attack over and over again. Also the occasional counter that gets hard punished by a fully charged fsmash. It`s also funny how every Joker gets up from the ledge by jumping and using sideb than eating a flip jump kick or pin to the face. Yeah, these flowchart type of plays really make him easy to deal with, but like with Ganon, Ness or Bowser you still get fmashed at 30% and die, adding salt to the injury.

Another thing that kinda annoys me is how many players online still play Ulitmate like Smash 4 and buffer a shield after each action, especially these grab greedy heavies. How many times do I have to Tomahawk or break your shield until you understand that it won't work?
Ness and Joker have pretty weak smash attacks, unless you mean Arsene.

Nubby

Smash Cadet
One word: JOKER :ultjoker:

While I am decent at taking him down with Meta Knight, whenever I am playing with my other main, Lucina, it is hard to get hits on him because of that stupid shadow flame special, or his long-lasting counter, or that he moves so fast! Not only that, but when he hits you or you hit him, that stupid gauge fills up and he can summon a demon ghost that greatly amplifies his abilities!
While I am good at edge-guarding Joker or juking him with Meta Knight (teleport), whenever he summons his demon ghost, I pretty much have to run around or jump underneath the stage to get to the other side (Meta Knight has 6 jumps). And I can only do that with Meta Knight or Kirby. Whenever I fight Joker with Lucina, I can't avoid Joker when he has the demon ghost.
While Joker is pretty strong, I can still beat him with characters that have excellent recovery, but that's the line. Only characters with good recovery. I am not comfortable with playing as Lucina anymore because I'm being matched against Joker users. I'm not saying that Joker is broken or anything, he's just really good against characters with sucky recovery.

Some other characters that piss me off:
  • Mario
  • Pokemon Trainer
  • Ness (he doesn't require any skill and him saying 'Take that' is really annoying)
  • Lucas
  • Incineroar
  • Villager/Isabelle
  • Olimar
  • King K. Rool
  • Bowser
P.S. I'm not saying that the characters in the above list should be changed, neither should Joker.
I thought I was alone saying Joker is annoying to fight against. Also why is Mario an annoying character to fight? Just curious.

Switch FC
SW-4208-5476-7796
I thought I was alone saying Joker is annoying to fight against. Also why is Mario an annoying character to fight? Just curious.
His water attack from Sunshine is really good at keeping opponents from the edge. The super cape is even more annoying.

*See people accusing all Link players of projectile spamming*

Hey i don't spam projecti- wait...

"And no I'm not a Link who spams projectiles" - Every Link main in Smash
Damn you!
:p

But joking aside, as many other Link players, i use projectiles but i don't spam them (unless we don't share the same definition of spam). Personally, i don't want to spam for a few reasons:
1. Using the same attack repeatedly will activate the stale-move negation mechanic which will gradually reduce the dmg and knockback of the spammed attack each times it hits (the opponent or the opponent's shield).
2. It's not fun (what's fun for me in Smash is trying to use various approaches to a situation plus, pissing people off is not fun at all, at least for me).
3. I'm not learning anything from it (i find it way more rewarding to learn how to use a character's whole moveset)
4. If i rely too much on projectiles, any character with a reflector will eat me alive

But i can understand why people get frustrated with projectiles based characters. Personally, I still struggle against very defensive Samus players but i learned their patterns pretty well, it just takes an extra amount of concentration to beat them.

Btw, the most annoying characters for me (the master spikers): :ultmario::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultfalcon:

No generalization but some of those players have absolutely no chill :p, they'll just constantly try to spike you even if you're waaaaaay out of their range or even if you spend like 0.5 second offstage, they'll go for the spike, e-v-e-r-y time. It's not that bad but it's a bit stressful.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
But joking aside, as many other Link players, i use projectiles but i don't spam them (unless we don't share the same definition of spam).
Do not deny it. Link is a zoner and without the spamming of his projectiles he sucks. You might switch between your different projectiles but you'll either be zoning a lot or getting souped.

There is no shame in projectile spamming. I use R.O.B. and I embrace projectile spamming. On FG i used to wear down shields by repeatedly hammering them with Gyros to open them up for an unblockable Arm Rotor. And in Elite Smash I also spam Gyro or Robo Beam. I remember when I was having problems with some Ness and then I changed tactics and started spamming them Gyros even more heavily than normal after which it went great and I ended up winning. And it was good. I love projectile spamming and setting stage traps. Like R.O.B., Link can do both and if I were a Link main I would embrace it with pride and show it off wherever I can like I do with R.O.B..

3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
NNID
punchtropics
:ultjoker: Got real old real fast.

I’ve tried camping out Arsene but that can easily take a whole minute or two from the entire match, and I usually have to face 2-3 of these per match so it always goes to sudden death.

Yeah, I’m not getting near that thing.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I do not really have trouble with Arsene. My strategy is to avoid his attacks and hit him with my attacks while Arsene is out.

Do not deny it. Link is a zoner and without the spamming of his projectiles he sucks. You might switch between your different projectiles but you'll either be zoning a lot or getting souped.
lol. That's one way to put it.

I see your point but Link's projectiles all have a pretty slow startup so they're better used at mid/long range, the moment an opponent decides to rush you need to know how to defend yourself up close (in certain matchup, it's almost impossible to use projectiles, e.g. vs Sheik, vs Greninja, vs Pichu). In my experience, Link doesn't 'suck' without his projectiles, he actually has a bunch of good tools for cqc (e.g. his nair being the best, grab is suprisingly quick at frame 6, down throw can combo into a bunch of moves with d-tilt, up throw can kill at hight percent, up smash is a great anti air, up-b out of shield is a good 'get off me' and a potent killmove etc.). Sure he's a bit sluggish but on the other hand, most of his attacks are pretty strong.

Anyways, zoning and spamming are two different things. Spamming only works when the opponent doesn't know how to deal with a particular move. As i pointed out in my previous post, i think it's better to learn to use a character whole moveset in order to get better at the game. Keep in mind, it's just my opinion based on my experience, i'm not trying to prove you wrong here.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
lol. That's one way to put it.

I see your point but Link's projectiles all have a pretty slow startup so they're better used at mid/long range, the moment an opponent decides to rush you need to know how to defend yourself up close (in certain matchup, it's almost impossible to use projectiles, e.g. vs Sheik, vs Greninja, vs Pichu).
R.O.B. has the same problem except his Gyro is actually decently fast if he has it.

In my experience, Link doesn't 'suck' without his projectiles, he actually has a bunch of good tools for cqc (e.g. his nair being the best, grab is suprisingly quick at frame 6, down throw can combo into a bunch of moves with d-tilt, up throw can kill at hight percent, up smash is a great anti air, up-b out of shield is a good 'get off me' and a potent killmove etc.). Sure he's a bit sluggish but on the other hand, most of his attacks are pretty strong.
Now that you mention it, I remember playing a Link and his Nair was amazing. That move seems to have no endlag and is incredible safe. I enjoyed using R.O.B.'s safe Nair in Smash4 but I think SSBU Link's Nair might be even safer.

Anyways, zoning and spamming are two different things. Spamming only works when the opponent doesn't know how to deal with a particular move. As i pointed out in my previous post, i think it's better to learn to use a character whole moveset in order to get better at the game.
I know they are different. But zoning can be done by spamming projectiles which was what I was getting at. Although I remember that Link has good cqc too.

BTW spamming does not always imply a mindless playstyle. For example R.O.B.'s Nair is pretty safe but only when spaced properly. And the only way to space it properly is to predict the opponent's movement because otherwise the opponent may mess up R.O.B.'s spacing. Hence spamming Nair successfully requires mindgames with the spacing. Mindgaming can be done anytime that both players have to choose between different options in a rock-paper-scissor like situation. Those options can consist of different moves to use, but also of different movement patterns or different timings. Hence spammers can still mindgame by varying movement and timing. Spamming only becomes mindless when nothing is varied. This is the kind of spamming that relies on people not knowing how to deal with a certain move.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if they're the most annoying characters to fight online, but Ness and Ganondorf are certainly the ones that I most dread encountering.

I seem to only get spammy opponents or opponents capable of combo-ing me to death, so I'm scared of most of the cast, haha. Bowsers can be annoying if they're constantly going for suicide kills. King Dedede is often annoying with up-special and side-special spam. Wolf is annoying with neutral-special, when I'm not playing Ness. And, speaking of, Ness is annoying pretty much 100% of the time, especially when I'm not Ness. Every Gannondorf I find seems to try for forward-smash kills exclusively. Cloud is annoying to me too, because he has good range on his attacks and often they will use lots of neutral-specials and/or side-specials. Link and Young Link are both annoying with their projectiles effectively shielding them on Battlefield. Every time I see a Pokemon Trainer, I'm scared that I'll be combo-ed, and usually I'm right.

Online is fun, though.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
meh in the 4 mil range i can name alot of annoying things

Megaman spam
Samus spam
Zelda's up B spam
Ness PK fire spam
Captain Falcon
Bowsercide (any person who does it is a worst player then me, cause you wouldn't need this if you could beat me otherwise :p )
Links spam ( lol ok ok i do it too with Toon & Young but just not the mindless way, i won multiple matches with just using my projectiles and try to keep my distance from my opponent(s) cause close combat just doesn't always work cough Ike vs Toon cough)

1FC0

Smash Lord
Bowsercide (any person who does it is a worst player then me, cause you wouldn't need this if you could beat me otherwise :p )
Maybe they do not need it but like the challenge of beating you while forcing themselves to spam. Anyway this excuse is stupid. People often say to me that I only win because I have great skill and that really they are better because my skill gives me an unfair advantage that I need to win. But I do not care. I know that my skill seems like an unfair advantage but If it is true that if I have my skill then I win and that I have my skill, then I win and therefore I am the best.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they do not need it but like the challenge of beating you while forcing themselves to spam. Anyway this excuse is stupid. People often say to me that I only win because I have great skill and that really they are better because my skill gives me an unfair advantage that I need to win. But I do not care. I know that my skill seems like an unfair advantage but If it is true that if I have my skill then I win and that I have my skill, then I win and therefore I am the best.
doing a suicide move does not require any type of skill..it's a move anyone could do when they are either desperate or know they can't defeat you otherwise, he had 1 stock advantage sure but he was struggling and he was going to lose that stock so he got scared,
i will admit if someone was better then me but Bowsercide is a sad move that basically says ''look! i can't beat you so i am gonna use Bowsercide on you otherwise i can't win!'' it's so sad xD

1FC0

Smash Lord
doing a suicide move does not require any type of skill..it's a move anyone could do when they are either desperate or know they can't defeat you otherwise, he had 1 stock advantage sure but he was struggling and he was going to lose that stock so he got scared,
Bowsercide requires hitting with a hard to hit move hence it requires a mindgame. Hence getting beaten by a Bowsercide often means getting beaten by mindgames. Mindgames are all about skill. If you get outmindgamed, then you lack skill.
i will admit if someone was better then me but Bowsercide is a sad move that basically says ''look! i can't beat you so i am gonna use Bowsercide on you otherwise i can't win!'' it's so sad xD
So if they beat you with a Bowsercide then according to you they are basically saying that they cannot beat you. Even though they just beat you. Well I think that if they beat you then that just proved that they can beat you. In fact this seems so obvious to me that I do not even know how to explain it.

I also do not get why you think that you are better at Smash Bros. even if you can not win in Smash Bros., just because you assume that you would win in in a game that is like Smash Bros but where Bowser only has 3 of his specials. Even if your assumption is correct, Bowser does have his side special in Smash Bros and thus if a Bowser can consistently beat you using his side special then he is better than you at Smash Bros..

Bowsercides require mindgames, just use safe moves when you think that he is going to try it and then you might be able to actually win in Smash Bros. instead of losing while assuming that you would win in another game with your made up rules.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Any suicide move involves baiting you close enough to them that it will work. If it worked on you, it means you've just been outplayed. I'll admit, command grabs can get a little tilting sometimes, but you can counter them by staying out of range, or even just spotdodging when you think it's coming and punishing the lag on the grab. Most command grabs can also be mashed out of if you're ready to do it fast enough.

Bowser's also allows you to control his movement if you're at a lower percent. So if you're beating him, he shouldn't be able to bowsercide you if you just hold the control stick in the direction you. If he's beating you with a stock advantage plus percent advantage, he would have probably beaten you without it anyway.

Garo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
NNID
Garomasta
Hard to decide honestly, so here's an unordered top 10:

:ultgreninja: Very hard to hit and has ridiculous kill power for a character this speedy.
:ultinkling: Even a small amount of lag makes Splat Roller a nightmare. Insane damage, hard to hit and ridiculous aerials.
:ultness: Boy, I sure wish I had an airdodge that can get me to the ledge from 10 meters away. Stupid aerials, PK Fire and PSI Magnet are annoying sometimes.
:ultlucas: Kinda like Ness, with some moves being less annoying and some more. Even with Rope Snake though, he's overall a little less annoying.
:ultpalutena: Let's see, there's the nair train, Explosive Flame, up air, the invincible shield... Basically all her key options are pretty overtuned.
:ultpichu: Very hard to hit and apparently electricity outprioritizes everything. Self-damage means jack when you can't get your hands on him.
:ultpikachu: See above. Now with no self-damage and the added annoyance of Quick Attack.
:ultpokemontrainer: More specifically :ultsquirtle: who's hard to hit and :ultivysaur: who outspaces you and has some ridiculous hitboxes on his kill moves. Who needs :ultcharizard:?
:ultsnake: You hit me? Grenade. You're offstage? Have a Nikita. On the ledge? Up smash. Basically has a near-broken option for every situation.
:ultyounglink: Pretty hard to hit, combos from every projectile and a nair that he can probably throw out twice in a single short hop. Does it really have to kill too?