Most annoying character to run into on quickplay?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Imo, pk fire is only an annoying move because of how long it keeps you unable to do anything. If it had all the same followups, but didn't take as long to happen, people would probably find it less annoying to play against. It's mostly just the feeling of helplessness after getting hit by it, knowing that you're stuck there until the pk fire ends - unless you somehow manage to SDI out, which seems to have *greatly* reduced effectiveness in this game. So you spam SDI, and it still doesn't help, further contributing to the frustration of getting hit by the move. I don't mind the guaranteed followups at all; it just puts you in a state of "not playing the game" for too long.

The solution, of course, is "don't get hit by pk fire." But it doesn't make it any less frustrating when it *does* happen.
I definitely get this. It’s like getting buried or any mechanic like that. Depending on where PK Fire hits it still is pretty easy to DI out of, I literally never go for bat on them because it won’t hit. Plus PK Fire is a punishable move that Ness has to set up to hit. It has less endlag for Ness I’m Ultimate which makes some followups a little easier which may add to people’s annoyance but it’s not even one of Ness’s top 5 moves

Imo, pk fire is only an annoying move because of how long it keeps you unable to do anything. If it had all the same followups, but didn't take as long to happen, people would probably find it less annoying to play against. It's mostly just the feeling of helplessness after getting hit by it, knowing that you're stuck there until the pk fire ends - unless you somehow manage to SDI out, which seems to have *greatly* reduced effectiveness in this game. So you spam SDI, and it still doesn't help, further contributing to the frustration of getting hit by the move. I don't mind the guaranteed followups at all; it just puts you in a state of "not playing the game" for too long.

The solution, of course, is "don't get hit by pk fire." But it doesn't make it any less frustrating when it *does* happen.
Youre only stuck when you jump on it. Whenever I get hit directly, I just hold away from it and I pop out. Or in game and watches case, up B gets you out immedietly.

Id argue pk fire got nerfed and its harder to follow up than it was in smash 4

XxDiCaprioxX

Smash Rookie
I would say, every Character that is abused for Spamming. A good Ness or Lucas is a nice Match, every Ness or Lucas spamming PK Fire - Grab or something like this, that is f*cking annyoing.
The same applies for: Samus, Dark Samus, Simon, Richter, Ridley

Exactly, it’s not like there’s people lining up to get their “brain dead” wins with Ness, I don’t know many Ness mains at all.
Because very few people actually like ness. He has a reputation for being annoying POS. You wont be winning hearts like a cpt. falcon or dedede would. It's a no-brainer (heh) why he's not very popular.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I would say, every Character that is abused for Spamming. A good Ness or Lucas is a nice Match, every Ness or Lucas spamming PK Fire - Grab or something like this, that is f*cking annyoing.
The same applies for: Samus, Dark Samus, Simon, Richter, Ridley
This is 100% true. I’ve had some phenomenal and fun games against characters I usually consider annoying due to the player being good and using them well

XxDiCaprioxX

Smash Rookie
As a ZSS and Corrin main, K Rool is mostly an easy win for me. Juggling him and punishing his crown spam is so satisfying. So I don't mind him at all. But yeah, projectile spam is more annoying than ever. I do groan a little bit, if I have to play for the 100th time a Samus, Link, Dedede , Belmont or Snake, all basically using the same strategy. I can do fairly well against them, but sometimes even when I see a Boomerang, Gordo or Bomb coming I still tend to get hit by it. Lag messes up my timing, it gets even worse when I buffered an airdodge, because I pressed the shield button too late and fall to my demise like an Idiot. It's annoying but well, at least I get a good laugh of it when that happens.

Of course, everyone can play the way they like, but it is kinda sad, that quickplay mostly consists of heavies or zoners. I mean, the game has 70 characters after all. Characters that nobody uses like Rosalina, Duck Hunt and Greninja need some love too, you know.
Oh yeah that Feeling when you punish a Crown Throw or Cannon Shot (especially with a Down Air)

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
If we're talking braindead characters now I'd like to toss Bowser into the mix. His range always catches people off-guard. And the armor he has is pretty great. Like "here let me charge my forward smash directly through your rapid jab and kill you at 60". I have to think way less as this character than I do any of the other ones I play. Nickel and dime damage all day and command grab to the top platform or uptilt juggle till dead. I can only imagine how frustrating this can be if you've never faced Bowser before.

In fact if anyone knows any truly braindead characters please point them my way, I love just playing on autopilot and winning for it

Last edited:
If we're talking braindead characters now I'd like to toss Bowser into the mix. His range always catches people off-guard. And the armor he has is pretty great. Like "here let me charge my forward smash directly through your rapid jab and kill you at 60". I have to think way less as this character than I do any of the other ones I play. Nickel and dime damage all day and command grab to the top platform or uptilt juggle till dead. I can only imagine how frustrating this can be if you've never faced Bowser before.

In fact if anyone knows any truly braindead characters please point them my way, I love just playing on autopilot and winning for it
K rool and ike spring to mind.

Switch FC
SW-8400-4658-5024
Approach from the air and throw more fire balls. F.L.U.D.D. off stage for cheap kills that are hilarious.
thanks for the advice! i use mario's fireballs a lot versus characters like K rool because they kinda just sheild and panic so i can just approach. I am guessing the same goes for mac.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I'll start by saying that I have hated Pikachu with a passion since Smash 64. **** that stupid electric rat. And just when I didn't think it could get any worse, we get Pichu, who is now silly good and even more annoying that Pikachu. **** them both, and **** everyone who plays them. Hearing them say their names over and over and over and over in their annoying voices is the worst thing of all time. Plus they're really tiny and lightning fast so they're hard as **** to hit. And as far as Pikachu goes, I hate that it's been a good character in every smash game. Pikachu players have never known what it's like for their favorite character to be even mediocre. No. They've never had anything but a quality character who has never been anything worse than the low end of high tier. So **** Pikachu, **** Pichu, and **** all their mains.

With that out of the way, the most annoying characters for me in Quickplay are...
Megaman - not only is he a zoner, but for the life of me I just can't figure out a good strategy against him...even garbage Megamans tend to beat me
Ike - because he's ****ing easy mode and even if I kick his *** all over the place and rack up twice as much damage he only needs a few good hits to kill me
Rob - people who main Rob are almost universally better than me as Smash players so this is a matchup that I almost always lose and can't seem to get any better at yet
Snake - Becoming a less annoying lately, but that's just because I haven't faced any good ones recently. Those damn missiles are the most OP edge guard in the game and I hope they get nerfed to hell.

The characters who are basically impossible to edge guard:
Zelda
Palutena
Mewtwo
(I would add Meta Knight but I rarely encounter one)

And last but not least - Ness and Lucas. It annoys me that Ness's bat and Lucas's stick seem to have longer reach than Lucina's sword even though the sword is visually longer. And almost all their moves seem to have priority over mine.

Switch FC
SW-5095-5731-3909
To actually answer the thread question instead of arguing about nonsense, for me it's Richter. He's not OP or anything, just extremely annoying. It almost seems like he's designed to be as unfun to fight as possible. Simon comes second but he doesn't bother me as much simply because I don't see him as much.

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
To actually answer the thread question instead of arguing about nonsense, for me it's Richter. He's not OP or anything, just extremely annoying. It almost seems like he's designed to be as unfun to fight as possible. Simon comes second but he doesn't bother me as much simply because I don't see him as much.
They're literally the same character though.

Switch FC
SW-5095-5731-3909
They're literally the same character though.
This is true, aside from Richter's Holy Water not setting off bombs and damaging Red Pikmin. But as Simon does not show up for me as much as Richter, he has not been able to inflict the most annoying upon me in total.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
This is true, aside from Richter's Holy Water not setting off bombs and damaging Red Pikmin. But as Simon does not show up for me as much as Richter, he has not been able to inflict the most annoying upon me in total.
Take this! Heuh! Heuh! Heuh! Heuh! Heuh! Take this!

*stares blankly into the abyss*

NNID
ZeDiglett
Easy answer, but zoners in general. Even more so if it's a team battle due to the absence of team attack in quickplay. Going up against double zoner teams just makes me wanna pop out the game card and play some Mario Kart instead, especially since they're almost always super laggy as well.
For a non-safety quip response, though, Marcina. I really just have no idea how to fight those guys. Their range and frame data makes them nigh impossible to challenge or punish and they hit hard to boot, meanwhile I'm just sitting here wondering how awesome it would be if I had godlike frames, early kills, and unbeatable disjoints all at once. Seriously, how is that fair? (No pun intended, of course.)

Last edited:

Bubs Cooper

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-6250-6452
Switch FC
6478-9564-3006
:ultganondorf: i know how to play him, at my first time i got annoyed with him, yet this was me playing the game at first, but a lot of Ganondorf players will try and go for the flame choke and perform another attack afterwards. Btw he's my secondary. SImply just avoid getting command grabbed by him, also avoid his sword too. If you see him gonna start using his sword pull out your shield or move away.

:ultkingdedede: I know how to play against him, since i main Fox, if you main either :ultwolf::ultfalco: :ultmario::ultdoc:or :ultfox: you can reflect the Gordo's back at them. unless if you main Wolf you can just shoot the Gordo right back at dedede across the stage. Any other character it's all on timing. But i still find him a bit annoying but i just pull a copycat and just nair him back with Fox. That is if you main :ultchrom::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultkrool::ultmetaknight::ultroy::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultshulk: :ultincineroar::ultlittlemac:who have counter attacks which can deflect the Gordo back at them. HOWEVER if they catch the gordo you deflected and throw it back at you, and repeat the same action and play a game of hot potato. :)

:ultduckhunt: where do i begin with Duck hunt, oh yeah the frisbees... i don't know if i can reflect them. I should try it out and see if i can. I learned how to avoid the barrels and the wild west men too, you just hit them to disarm them.

Now.. :ultkrool:however i learned you can disable his projectile attacks by constantly picking up the crown and throw it away from him and keep doing it. Because that will make them more likely result to be forced to use Smash attacks until they get their crown back.

I hope this info helps for some users having a hard time with spammy and zoner characters.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I can’t really point out any characters specifically. It always depends on the player.

Also i try to keep the mindset that i can beat anything if i do the right thing. With just one char in elite i don’t think I’m in a league where matchups are a unbelievable huge thing (but existent).

Most of the time though I get angry playing against people who spam one or two moves. But when i lose to them i always know that i just reacted badly to a very predictable player.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Easy answer, but zoners in general. Even more so if it's a team battle due to the absence of team attack in quickplay. Going up against double zoner teams just makes me wanna pop out the game card and play some Mario Kart instead, especially since they're almost always super laggy as well.
For a non-safety quip response, though, Marcina. I really just have no idea how to fight those guys. Their range and frame data makes them nigh impossible to challenge or punish and they hit hard to boot, meanwhile I'm just sitting here wondering how awesome it would be if I had godlike frames, early kills, and unbeatable disjoints all at once. Seriously, how is that fair? (No pun intended, of course.)
Lucina main here wondering how a Mewtwo main struggles against my character. We can't edge guard you and your tail is longer than our sword!!

Last edited:
NNID
ZeDiglett
Lucina main here wondering how a Mewtwo main struggles against my character. We can't edge guard you and your tail is longer than our sword!!
First of all, I never said I was good. Second, while it's true Mewtwo has some disjoints of his own, they aren't really fast or big enough to challenge Lucina's. It doesn't help that Marth and Lucina are just generally really good characters in this game. (Like every other Smash game they're in...) Also, edgeguarding in general is kind of a lost cause in this game due to how safe most recoveries are anyway. Sacrificing stage control and the advantage for an edgeguard attempt usually isn't worth it in most matchups.

Last edited:

Veigar

Smash Rookie
anything with lag is awful. chars like K rool in particular are stupidly annoying because of how cheese they are

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
First of all, I never said I was good. Second, while it's true Mewtwo has some disjoints of his own, they aren't really fast or big enough to challenge Lucina's. It doesn't help that Marth and Lucina are just generally really good characters in this game. (Like every other Smash game they're in...) Also, edgeguarding in general is kind of a lost cause in this game due to how safe most recoveries are anyway. Sacrificing stage control and the advantage for an edgeguard attempt usually isn't worth it in most matchups.
I mean, I'm not all that good either, a little above average but no more, so I guess we could debate all day about who has the matchup advantage and probably never reach an agreement. I'm pretty certain Mewtwo has the edge, nonetheless.

You're seriously wrong about edge guarding though. It's one of the best means of getting kills in this game, and you don't necessarily have to connect with an attack offstage either. A lot of times it's enough just to present the threat offstage and force your opponent to make a move earlier than they wanted to which can lead to mistakes. For example, you can jump offstage while your opponent is approaching the ledge, and even if you don't do an attack and go straight back to the level, your opponent might still react to the threat and air dodge, use their double jump too early, or mis-time their up special. As a result, they could miss the ledge and die or land on stage instead of the ledge allowing you to punish.

Specifically for Mewtwo, you have a great recovery so you can safely go pretty far offstage and force your opponent's hand. Both your neutral air and back air are good edge guarding tools against someone recovering high or who uses their jump too early. If they're trying to recover low you can go for a back air to hit them into the underside of the level, which is virtually guaranteed to kill most characters at most % since they'll ricochet into the blast zone. Only top players will react fast enough to tech that and survive.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Edgeguarding is how I net most of my kills, it's absolutely a good option unless you go too deep. There are only a couple recoveries in the game that are hard to edgeguard.

You can two frame Mewtwo's teleport, it's usually super obvious when they're going for the ledge. I feel like Lucina should have something to cover this option

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
As of late it's Zelda, mainly due to the overusage of her specials more than anything. The Phantom Hourglass armor attack is annoying to deal with both uncharged and charged because of the delay, and the fact that jumping over it doesn't mean you won't get hit. Factor that with Din's Fire's and getting the edge is a pain.

And her most annoying special is Naryu's Love due to that fact when ever you get even close to a online Zelda, they overuse this move.

So in general, I gotta go for the hard punishes and bait out moves when fighting Zelda, which wouldn't be an issue for me if Ultimate's defense mechanics weren't so bad...

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
people with reflect. I main link and when i cant poke you with my arrows or boomerang it really neuters my gameplan. (Zelda, fox, d3, etc.)
I recently discovered playing Palutena that I if I evade and let the boomerang go past me then use reflect on it making the return trip, it will go straight through me and deal damage to Link when it gets back to him. So sneaky hehe

Last edited:

Whit

Smash Journeyman
I have to say the most annoying character is :ultincineroar: The fact that they can counter one small attack and then use the unblockable side b to do 40+ damage plus increased knockback makes me so mad. I haven't played against any Inciniroar's online, my buddy mains him and it is just awful. Thank your stars if you haven't gone up against a good Inciniroar.

Other than that, I'd say :ultzelda: is the most annoying to go up against online solely because of her neutral b. All day long she spams it.
Someone get's too close?
Press B.
Projectile?
Press B.
Don't know what else to do?
Press B.
Not to mention it's range and how long it lasts. I could go on about her knight, but I don't find it too bad if you know when its coming. But ya man, screw that neutral b.

I am very curious to hear what specifically most people don't like about :ultinkling:. They are my main and I always hear that nobody likes playing against them. I totally get the roller, that is very scary to play against, but it did get nerfed pretty hard with 2.0. Just wondering because I only ever do okay with them and I don't see much of them online to be super annoying.

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I have to say the most annoying character is :ultincineroar: The fact that they can counter one small attack and then use the unblockable side b to do 40+ damage plus increased knockback makes me so mad. I haven't played against any Inciniroar's online, my buddy mains him and it is just awful. Thank your stars if you haven't gone up against a good Inciniroar.

Other than that, I'd say :ultzelda: is the most annoying to go up against online solely because of her neutral b. All day long she spams it.
Someone get's too close?
Press B.
Projectile?
Press B.
Don't know what else to do?
Press B.
Not to mention it's range and how long it lasts. I could go on about her knight, but I don't find it too bad if you know when its coming. But ya man, screw that neutral b.

I am very curious to hear what specifically most people don't like about :ultinkling:. They are my main and I always hear that nobody likes playing against them. I totally get the roller, that is very scary to play against, but it did get nerfed pretty hard with 2.0. Just wondering because I only ever do okay with them and I don't see much of them online to be super annoying.
Inkling really isn't so bad. Even before the roller nerf they weren't so bad. The one thing about them that annoys the crap out of me though is the landing damage on their up special. Like come on Nintendo, you made this character near impossible to edge guard AND you give them a basically free landing?

Technically that complaint applies to Zelda also.

Frizz

Smash Lord
As :ultrobin:, it'd have to be :ultzelda: and :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:. They throw out a ton of projectiles like nobody's business, which is a problem for Robin since he doesn't really have any tools to deal with them.

I really wouldn't mind the matchup if I was :ultvillager: for example, but since I can only play as :ultrobin: in Elite, I do mind. A lot.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
For me personally, I feel like Inkling is always changing size and is incredibly difficult to hit. It also feels like all of Inkling's moves come out instantly, and it can be very hard to track their movement. I imagine as I get more match-up experience with them some of these pains will go away, but right now it is just not a very fun match-up to play and I feel almost powerless when playing against a good Inkling player.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
For me personally, I feel like Inkling is always changing size and is incredibly difficult to hit. It also feels like all of Inkling's moves come out instantly, and it can be very hard to track their movement. I imagine as I get more match-up experience with them some of these pains will go away, but right now it is just not a very fun match-up to play and I feel almost powerless when playing against a good Inkling player.
Pretty much agree with that. I don't think Inkling is OP or anything, but his dashing animation makes it really confusing and hard to follow. That's actually the only complain I have for this character. I know it's a cool little hint to Splatoon but I don't think it's really practical in the context of Smash.

:ultincineroar: is probably the character I'm struggling the most with. His side B is good, maybe a little bit too good against certain character. If the opponent spams it, it's not too hard to punish or get used to but I feel like it's a really little risk high reward move.
It should probably either travel less distance or do less damage in my opinion.

:ultolimar: haven't fought a lot of them online. But every single time, it was probably the least fun I had in this game. Most of the time, wether I win or lose, I just put down the game after I encounter him because I'm just not into it anymore.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Pretty much agree with that. I don't think Inkling is OP or anything, but his dashing animation makes it really confusing and hard to follow. That's actually the only complain I have for this character. I know it's a cool little hint to Splatoon but I don't think it's really practical in the context of Smash.

:ultincineroar: is probably the character I'm struggling the most with. His side B is good, maybe a little bit too good against certain character. If the opponent spams it, it's not too hard to punish or get used to but I feel like it's a really little risk high reward move.

:ultolimar: haven't fought a lot of them online. But every single time, it was probably the least fun I had in this game. Most of the time, wether I win or lose, I just put down the game after I encounter him because I'm just not into it anymore.
Olimar is just legit never fun to play even if you have a good matchup with him and win. It’s so painstaking everytime

:ultganondorf:+:ultkrool: are characters I usually like playing and win against like 9 out of 10 times but if I lose against them I feel so bad about myself that sometimes I stop playing lol

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
:ultganondorf:+:ultkrool: are characters I usually like playing and win against like 9 out of 10 times but if I lose against them I feel so bad about myself that sometimes I stop playing lol
Can relate to that...those character are so predictable but sometimes I'm just like "Okay, he's going to do that"...yup, he did it, and I still managed to get hit by it.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Can relate to that...those character are so predictable but sometimes I'm just like "Okay, he's going to do that"...yup, he did it, and I still managed to get hit by it.
Exactly or walking into a stray fsmash Ganondorf is literally the worst feeling. Even if I’m a stock down I still feel like I should win especially as Ness. It just makes me feel bad when I lose to them lol