• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortality eSports Drops ChuDat and Fighting Games

Vilorious

Smash Rookie

Mortality eSports has announced that they will be parting ways with Smash pro Daniel 'ChuDat' Rodriguez and fighting game player Jonathan 'Rico Suave' DeLeon. Being the first Smash player to be sponsored by Mortality last June, ChuDat has achieved a numerous amount of victories in his, including 4th place in Melee doubles with Chillindude. From all of his "Morning", "Lunch", "Dinner", and "Night guys" tweets, ChuDat has been an interesting part of the Mortality team. With these fighting players gone, Mortality eSports wishes to focus in a new direction:

Mortality will soon push in to additional team oriented eSports titles requiring the resources that might otherwise be spent on expensive travel to fighting game events.

Director of Operations, Patrick 'OctanePro' Jester​

You can check out their full statement on their website here.

Unfortunately, both of these players became free agents weeks before big tournaments. As of now, ChuDat has announced that he will not be attending CEO or EVO, two of the biggest fighting game tournaments of the summer. With both Rico Suave and ChuDat being notable FGC players, hopefully they will be able to find sponsors in time for these events.

Writer's Note: As a former journalist and player of Mortality eSports, these two were the first professional players I met formally after working with them online. I wish for the best of the both of them, as I know they will be positive assets to whatever teams they will join the future!

Grass

Smash Lord
>>Mortality will soon push in to additional team oriented eSports titles requiring the resources that might otherwise be spent on expensive travel to fighting game events.

>Mortality kicks ChuDat from group

>Axe is next

>**** paying for these guys' flights

I'm so done lmao

Grass

Smash Lord
I swear to god, if this is what it means to get a sponsorship. I am never getting one.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Poor Chu.
It's sad to see one of the most good natured and entertaining players get dropped because Mortality has some super secret new team that there was never any indication of until now. They could've at least given ChuDat the decency of telling him what the team exactly was that required him being dropped instead of saying "sorry Chu, you cost too much money and our other team that doesn't even exist yet is more important to us".

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Isn't he the one who plays Kirby and does nothing but grab the ledges and try to Kirbycide?

Lucasmaster90

Smash Rookie
NNID
LucasmasterBR
No Chu, great, no woobling ****... wait, no woobling **** ;-; :( :(
D: , love woobling ****, RIP wobling and Chu, we will never forget you when EVO came out

Poopmaster

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3153-4588-8224
Isn't he the one who plays Kirby and does nothing but grab the ledges and try to Kirbycide?
Only in PM, and you probably know that best from the Chudat troll video from GRSmash; he does a lot more than that you know, that video just highlighted his troll moments.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Only in PM, and you probably know that best from the Chudat troll video from GRSmash; he does a lot more than that you know, that video just highlighted his troll moments.
He does more then that, but he undeniably loves to mess with people. And we love him for it.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I'd love to see Chu at EVO. The GoFundMe for him is already past 100 dollars, I hope it reaches its goal so he can make it.

Blazing Seraph

Smash Cadet
NNID
XxKajixX
As much as I hate to say it, fighting games are the least lucrative form of E-Sports. But we don't play for money. We play for the love of the game.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
>>Mortality will soon push in to additional team oriented eSports titles requiring the resources that might otherwise be spent on expensive travel to fighting game events.

>Mortality kicks ChuDat from group

>Axe is next

>**** paying for these guys' flights

I'm so done lmao
wut?

Axe left Mortality in April to join MVG, and then he left them too.

TheAttitudeEra

Smash Cadet
Good. He sucks anyway, and his lunch photos made me vomit

And anybody who donates to this guy is a huge naive tool. He only plays for easy money and notoriety. He is not the same guy from years ago. There's a reason why he's trying to get you fanboys to pay for him. He doesn't want to take the time to catch up to anyone in any game.

But hey, have fun enabling washed up players.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This sucks for ChuDat. I really hope he finds another sponsor soon. COG is a great rising mid/mid-high level sponsor that's getting bigger and bigger in seemingly every eSport (League, CS:GO, and Smash). They have been signing a lot of newer blood in the Melee scene, as well as quite a few Smash 4 players. Maybe signing an old veteran and Melee major winner in ChuDat would be a nice change of pace for them to further diversify their roster of sponsored players?

I have also heard of many mid-level eSports teams entering Smash. I know of at least 2 or 3 that are actively trying to sign Smashers. I hope ChuDat and many other top Smashers of all Smash games are among them! :)
Good. He sucks anyway, and his lunch photos made me vomit

And anybody who donates to this guy is a huge naive tool. He only plays for easy money and notoriety. He is not the same guy from years ago. There's a reason why he's trying to get you fanboys to pay for him. He doesn't want to take the time to catch up to anyone in any game.

But hey, have fun enabling washed up players.
Alright, time to dish out some serious stuff.

Honestly the level of disrespect shown wanting a player to fail from you is disgusting. This cost him likely a quite big size of money, and he probably can't go to tournaments as frequently now, which is something he enjoys.

To ever want someone to be worse off financially (who isn't a criminal) is a f***ing disgusting mentality. He streamed, entered tournaments, and got results consistently, and to bash him like this is ludicrous. He's also one of a dozen or so players to win a major, and the only one to do so with the Ice Climbers. He's been one of the 50 or so top players with a character that's hard to consistently get results. That's an incredible achievement.

===

So I got an idea. Instead of raining on people's parade when things are going good, you should celebrate with them, congratulate them, tell them you're happy for them. You should be happy for other people's success.

Instead of being celebratory, a mocking jerk, and a total prick to people when they're down in the dumps when people are down and not having things go their way, you should sympathize, empathize, and encourage them, not push them down further.

People like you need to be taught some basic human decency and basic respect, because you sorely lack it. I don't care if you're the best player in the world or the worst player in the world, there is ZERO reason to be happy someone like this lost a sponsorship.

The fact that total tool jacka**es like yourself have been kicking people like Prog (who was basically forced by the cancer that is "/r/smashbros" to not commentate EVO Top 8 this year), D1, and now ChuDat down in the dumps in the community is truly sickening. The Smash competitive community and community as a whole needs a purge of this sort, and we need to purge your pathetic kind entirely.

So yeah, in closing...
F*** YOU AND YOUR BULLS*** HATE, AND F*** ANYONE BULLS*** HATERS WHO AGREES WITH YOU!!!

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
This sucks for ChuDat. I really hope he finds another sponsor soon. COG is a great rising mid/mid-high level sponsor that's getting bigger and bigger in seemingly every eSport (League, CS:GO, and Smash). They have been signing a lot of newer blood in the Melee scene, as well as quite a few Smash 4 players. Maybe signing an old veteran and Melee major winner in ChuDat would be a nice change of pace for them to further diversify their roster of sponsored players?

I have also heard of many mid-level eSports teams entering Smash. I know of at least 2 or 3 that are actively trying to sign Smashers. I hope ChuDat and many other top Smashers of all Smash games are among them! :)

Alright, time to dish out some serious stuff.

Honestly the level of disrespect shown wanting a player to fail from you is disgusting. This cost him likely a quite big size of money, and he probably can't go to tournaments as frequently now, which is something he enjoys.

To ever want someone to be worse off financially (who isn't a criminal) is a f***ing disgusting mentality. He streamed, entered tournaments, and got results consistently, and to bash him like this is ludicrous. He's also one of a dozen or so players to win a major, and the only one to do so with the Ice Climbers. He's been one of the 50 or so top players with a character that's hard to consistently get results. That's an incredible achievement.

===

So I got an idea. Instead of raining on people's parade when things are going good, you should celebrate with them, congratulate them, tell them you're happy for them. You should be happy for other people's success.

Instead of being celebratory, a mocking jerk, and a total prick to people when they're down in the dumps when people are down and not having things go their way, you should sympathize, empathize, and encourage them, not push them down further.

People like you need to be taught some basic human decency and basic respect, because you sorely lack it. I don't care if you're the best player in the world or the worst player in the world, there is ZERO reason to be happy someone like this lost a sponsorship.

The fact that total tool jacka**es like yourself have been kicking people like Prog (who was basically forced by the cancer that is "/r/smashbros" to not commentate EVO Top 8 this year), D1, and now ChuDat down in the dumps in the community is truly sickening. The Smash competitive community and community as a whole needs a purge of this sort, and we need to purge your pathetic kind entirely.

So yeah, in closing...
F*** YOU AND YOUR BULLS*** HATE!!!
Woah, calm down there, let's set a few things straight. While I disagree on his opinion of ChuDat, he is still welcome to his opinion, even if it was expressed in a rude way. Second Prog decided by himself not to commentate EVO and even defended the community, check the earlier news post and Melee It On Me blog post if you don't believe me. Finally, calling people "pathetic" and "lacking human decency" is not okay. Censored swears, insults, and giant fonts don't help your point, they only make you look like a fool. You are seriously overreacting to someone saying they don't like ChuDat, take it down a few notches.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Finally, calling people "pathetic" and "lacking human decency" is not okay. Censored swears, insults, and giant fonts don't help your point, they only make you look like a fool. You are seriously overreacting to someone saying they don't like ChuDat, take it down a few notches.
Shut up with your fake lecture boy.

The guy just said he was happy he lost a sponsorship, which effects his monetary well-being.

THERE IS NEVER A F***ING APPROPRIATE SITUATION TO DO THAT!

YOU SHOULD WANT OTHER PEOPLE TO SUCCEED, NOT GET KICKED DOWN IN THE DUMPS.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't feel happy when I hear people lost their job they liked. I feel sad. I don't like hearing people can't go to tournaments due to financial struggles. I feel sad. I don't like hearing other people go through hard times or difficulty, because I would rather see them succeed.

Maybe it's because I actually care about other people, which is something you and especially this other guy seem to not agree with.

AS A COMMUNITY, WE NEED TO PUNISH AND EVEN ABANDON PEOPLE WHO REVEL IN OTHER PEOPLE'S FINANCIAL FAILURES. WE DON'T NEED THEM AMONG US, AND THEY HOLD EVERYONE BACK!

Last edited:

TheAttitudeEra

Smash Cadet
Chu is a cancer to the community. He shamelessly promotes playing only for easy money, shows up incredibly late and coaxes T.O's to hold events for hours for him, ducks competition, and calls his own fans meat riders. Like I said, there is a reason he doesn't place any more. Stop living in the past, and stop being the poster boy for chu's kiss my ass club, John White Knight

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Shut up with your fake lecture boy.

The guy just said he was happy he lost a sponsorship, which effects his monetary well-being.

THERE IS NEVER A F***ING APPROPRIATE SITUATION TO DO THAT!

YOU SHOULD WANT OTHER PEOPLE TO SUCCEED, NOT GET KICKED DOWN IN THE DUMPS.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't feel happy when I hear people lost their job they liked. I feel sad. I don't like hearing people can't go to tournaments due to financial struggles. I feel sad. I don't like hearing other people go through hard times or difficulty, because I would rather see them succeed.

Maybe it's because I actually care about other people, which is something you and especially this other guy seem to not agree with.

AS A COMMUNITY, WE NEED TO PUNISH AND EVEN ABANDON PEOPLE WHO REVEL IN OTHER PEOPLE'S FINANCIAL FAILURES. WE DON'T NEED THEM AMONG US, AND THEY HOLD EVERYONE BACK!
Bruh, you are feeding the trolls so hard right now. I'm honestly with you, as I said beforehand I hate seeing ChuDat getting dropped, as I would with anyone losing their sponsorship. However, the extreme Internet rant does absolutely nothing to change people's opinions, it's just want they want to get out of you.
Chu is a cancer to the community. He shamelessly promotes playing only for easy money, shows up incredibly late and coaxes T.O's to hold events for hours for him, ducks competition, and calls his own fans meat riders. Like I said, there is a reason he doesn't place any more. Stop living in the past, and stop being the poster boy for chu's kiss my *** club, John White Knight
You good sir are a troll, please go back to 4chan.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Bruh, you are feeding the trolls so hard right now. I'm honestly with you, as I said beforehand hate seeing ChuDat getting dropped, as I would with anyone losing their sponsorship. However, the extreme Internet rant does absolutely nothing to change people's opinions, it's just want they want to get out of you.
It seems we have trolls everywhere then, and they are the majority of posters on /r/smashbros and SmashBoards it seems then. These so-called "trolls" do need to be called out, banned, IP blocked, and removed from the scene entirely.

Last I checked, these jacka** trolls got Prog removed from the EVO 2015 commentator desk... within the last 24 hours. They didn't give a damn that he was the most important person in the push for Melee's growth to get to EVO, they don't care that he's had life-threatening illness and cancer issues for years, they don't care about the fact he could barely walk after commentating.

They just don't care about other people.

And it isn't just on internet message boards, trust me. That guy I quoted is a competitive player in a scene I have friends in. There's a lot of folks like him. You can find them everywhere sadly. They're cancer that needs to either grow up and apologize, or be cut out entirely. It is that plain and simple.

Last edited:

TheAttitudeEra

Smash Cadet
Bruh, you are feeding the trolls so hard right now. I'm honestly with you, as I said beforehand I hate seeing ChuDat getting dropped, as I would with anyone losing their sponsorship. However, the extreme Internet rant does absolutely nothing to change people's opinions, it's just want they want to get out of you.

You good sir are a troll, please go back to 4chan.
Please feel free to argue points instead of cowering under the "waaah troll" umbrella

Nothing I said is wrong. Hell, ask anyone from this region

If you delusional fanboys think Chu is such a great representation of the smash community, well, we know who's been paying his bills.

You ever think there is a reason they dropped him? He doesn't place, and now he blatantly ducks competition unless it's free. You stream monster scrubs think sponsorships are toys. They expected certain things from him that he didn't deliver.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Please feel free to argue points instead of cowering under the "waaah troll" umbrella

Nothing I said is wrong. Hell, ask anyone from this region

If you delusional fanboys think Chu is such a great representation of the smash community, well, we know who's been paying his bills.

You ever think there is a reason they dropped him? He doesn't place, and now he blatantly ducks competition unless it's free. You stream monster scrubs think sponsorships are toys. They expected certain things from him that he didn't deliver.
There's very clearly nothing to argue here, whatever I'd say would have no impact on your bias against ChuDat and I'm not going to turn this thread into an argument. And by the way, I did think about why they dropped ChuDat. It's because Mortality is using the money that would have gone to sponsoring Chu to fund some other teams they're creating, it's in the original post for crying out loud.

Top Bottom