• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Morehead, Ky 3/20 to 3/21 Tournament Plus Smashfest

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
After our turnout in Janurary at G3. Me, Xisin, and Hilt want to run a two day smashfest right at G3 Arcade. The owners have promised us more room, a 24 hour stay and best of all no increased venue fee. Here is what has been planned so far.

G3 Arcade and Inet Cafe 146 East Main St. Morehead, Ky 40351

Prices
 Venue fee: $5
 Registration for Singles: $10
 Registration for Doubles: $20 per team

Payout for Doubles
 1st 60%
 2nd 30%
 3rd 10%

Friday March 20th

5 PM: Smashfest begins

More will be posted later this is what we have confirmed so far.

Saturday March 21st

11:00 AM Registration for doubles begins
11:50 AM Registration for doubles ends
12:00 PM Doubles tournament begins
3:00 PM Intermission
4:00 PM Registration for singles begins
4:50 PM Registration for singles end
5:00 PM Singles tournament begins

Ruleset
• 3 Stock
• 8 minute timer
• Items are set to "off" and "none"
• All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above is recommended for any "finals" matches)
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
• No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
• In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
• If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
• Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Bans
  • MK’s Infinite Cape
  • Stalling
Infinites are allowed but must stop at 300%.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage Lists

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counter
Delfino
Distant Planet
Pirate Ship
Yoshi Island (Pipes)
Halberd
Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

All other stages are banned

Additional Rules for Double's Play
• Life Stealing is allowed
• Set team attack to ON

Additional Rules
• Stage Striking is allowed.
• Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
• Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.
• Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
• Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.
• Pirated copies of Brawl or modded Wii consoles will not be used for tournament matches.
• The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.
• It is recommended to have a station set up specifically for Gamecube controllers; this prevents intereference from wiimotes in future matches, whether intentional or accidental. This is a great way to make sure the finals go smoothly. Alternatively, you could make a station for wiimotes only, but it is recommended to have a GC only station.

These rules MAY change overtime so please use this time to debate and suggest ideas for what you hope to see on Monday March 23rd these rules will be set in stone.
Also PM me if you plan to attend I would like to get a guest list started. Also tell me if you plan on bringing a setup so you can have your Venue Fee waived we want 12 Setups this time. Also rules mat change once the new SBR rules come out so keep a watch for that as well.

People bringing setups
  • Xisin

I heard most people enjoyed it last time (Thanks) so we only hope to make it 10 times better this time. See ya there.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Thanks for posting this andy!

anyway this tournament should be good post if you plan on attending, food will be served at the venue, the restroom will be working this time and there will be waaay more space to use as well.

So yeah! I'm going and bringing a set up.

Milln

Smash Champion
I'll go if I don't have anything else happening in March (I can't remember right now if I do or not. >,>).

I do have a question why you're potentially allowing Dedede players to have a free match with Castle Siege being a starter stage/counterpickable?

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
I'll go if I don't have anything else happening in March (I can't remember right now if I do or not. >,>).

I do have a question why you're potentially allowing Dedede players to have a free match with Castle Siege being a starter stage/counterpickable?
Sorry forgot to add Stage Striking......what if Castle Siege was a counter and was replaced by Lylat as a starter?

Milln

Smash Champion
Then everyone would probably waste their ban on Castle Siege just in case their opponent has a Dedede. @@ Not just that, but there's other silly things about the stage:

Instant deaths for no reason cause you glitch through the transition area
Spikes/Kills that turn into saves due to transition changes , etc.

It's a fun stage, It's just not a stage that a competition for money should be held on.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
Then everyone would probably waste their ban on Castle Siege just in case their opponent has a Dedede. @@ Not just that, but there's other silly things about the stage:

It's a fun stage, It's just not a stage that a competition for money should be held on.
Ok I will look into this...BTW the date has changed.....can you still make it?

Milln

Smash Champion
Like I said. =o I'll have to look into it. I have a feeling that I have something going on that I can't remember at the moment, but it might just be some game that comes out.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14

welcome to the midwest :)

anyway CS really isnt that bothersome, there are characters that cant be chaingrabbed and advance slobs helps that. the stage itself can be fallen through you are correct... but if thats banned well... we might as well ban delfino, rainbow Cruise and a few others. (you can fall through the floor there at times too.)

the stage serves as an excellent CP and if someone slobs to dedede... camp the platforms on the 2nd part. It's a nice stage, really it is. give it a shot.

Also Allisbrawl link is here - http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=4757

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Wow, most of MD/VA will not travel 7 hours for this...it might be at best 5.75 hours for the closest people to you- so nah you're probably not gonna get any MD/VA attendants, sorry

clowsui

Smash Legend
Haha Tant
If we changed the ruleset would you?

Just out of curiosity

EDIT: OH F*CK
these are the days that i will be going to louisville
DAMMIT x___X

change the date please? >___>

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
Wow, most of MD/VA will not travel 7 hours for this...it might be at best 5.75 hours for the closest people to you- so nah you're probably not gonna get any MD/VA attendants, sorry

Wasnt really targeting MD as much as i was VA .. VA borders KY

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Okay, rule changes lol. For the starters we there are two options.

either the Five Standard or Seven Standard should be used

For Five: FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise. If we take it up to seven, we add Delphino and halberd. Castle Seige should ONLY be a starter if the Standard Nine Starter set is used, alongside Stadium 1.

Also we should make it clear that this ruleset may or may not change upon the release of the updated Rule Set from the SBR that is supposed to be released soon. This is mainly directed towards the counterpick and banned stages. Oh, and I dont think Crews is gonna happen. Time may be an issue, and having it after singles is a bad idea. It would have to be after doubles.

andy122888

Smash Apprentice
Okay, rule changes lol. For the starters we there are two options.

either the Five Standard or Seven Standard should be used

For Five: FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Lylat Cruise. If we take it up to seven, we add Delphino and halberd. Castle Seige should ONLY be a starter if the Standard Nine Starter set is used, alongside Stadium 1.

Also we should make it clear that this ruleset may or may not change upon the release of the updated Rule Set from the SBR that is supposed to be released soon. This is mainly directed towards the counterpick and banned stages. Oh, and I dont think Crews is gonna happen. Time may be an issue, and having it after singles is a bad idea. It would have to be after doubles.
Got it Lylat now a starter CS is now a counter. Also stated rules may change once the new SBR ruleset comes out.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I think a Brawl + 1 dollar tourney would be nice on the smashfest day XD
We're thinking about what to do as the side event on friday for fun, keeping it brawl related though (No MvC2). I suppose a Brawl+ side tournament wouldnt be too bad... however deciding on a ruleset would be difficult (there's no way I'd play with directional airdodging >.< ). My vote would have to go towards an All Random Tournament like they had at the MWCC. Random Characters AND stages, from the entire stage list (getting olimar on summit suuuuucks). Everyone that entered had that had fun though.

Something a little less on the fun side, and more on the competitively fun side, would be a crew battle tournament, with everyone getting into groups of four for the tournament. However this probably wont work out. I think whatever side tournament we do will be decided on the day of the smashfest so we can ask everyone there what they'd like to do. keep it flexible.

Shadowbot

Smash Apprentice
We're thinking about what to do as the side event on friday for fun, keeping it brawl related though (No MvC2). I suppose a Brawl+ side tournament wouldnt be too bad... however deciding on a ruleset would be difficult (there's no way I'd play with directional airdodging >.< ). My vote would have to go towards an All Random Tournament like they had at the MWCC. Random Characters AND stages, from the entire stage list (getting olimar on summit suuuuucks). Everyone that entered had that had fun though.

Something a little less on the fun side, and more on the competitively fun side, would be a crew battle tournament, with everyone getting into groups of four for the tournament. However this probably wont work out. I think whatever side tournament we do will be decided on the day of the smashfest so we can ask everyone there what they'd like to do. keep it flexible.
I have 3 different versions of brawl +, so I'll bring them with my laptop to the event and if we decide to do Brawl + we have three different versions to work with depending on what everyone wants.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Morehead sounds like a really fun place. I'll be there!

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I hope there's lot of good peoples.
And robots!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
There's a chance I'll be there. Depends on what my March schedule ends up being like.

Majora's Incarnation

Smash Cadet
I'll try to make it. If only I was born a few years earlier :/
My dad is kind of concerned about me hanging out with people that are like five years older then me.

I'm guessing Singles will last late into the night again?

(If I do come, I may use ZSS in singles).

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I'll try to make it. If only I was born a few years earlier :/
My dad is kind of concerned about me hanging out with people that are like five years older then me.

I'm guessing Singles will last late into the night again?

(If I do come, I may use ZSS in singles).
This time its a two day event though techincally the tournament doesnt start til saturday. and itll prob last til around midnight.

Majora's Incarnation

Smash Cadet
This time its a two day event though techincally the tournament doesnt start til saturday. and itll prob last til around midnight.
Well that sucks:urg: I'm pretty sure my dad won't let me and my friend stay there until midnight. (We're planning to skip the smashfest). Oh well, maybe Hilt will be able to see my Olimar and give me advice. I'll hopefully see you all there.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Well that sucks:urg: I'm pretty sure my dad won't let me and my friend stay there until midnight. (We're planning to skip the smashfest). Oh well, maybe Hilt will be able to see my Olimar and give me advice. I'll hopefully see you all there.
But hey bro, you can make it out to the Lexington tournament can't ya, Zero??

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
eh, 12:00 - 2:00 is just how long we'll have the venue. If all runs well, it wont last as long as it did previously. It'll be much more organized this time around. And yeah, i'll be sure to see your olimar! Or even at the UK tournament if you're able to make it.

Shadowbot

Smash Apprentice
You had a really good Olimar I only beat you by a lucky gimp in pools. Hopefully you can make it out to Morehead again and Hilt tell Tactical I want to do some Temple shenanigans Lucario dittos.

Majora's Incarnation

Smash Cadet
Thanks Shadow, you have a very good Lucario too. I got a little to nervous I guess >.>(I was trying to Spotdodge Lucario's Fsmash instead of shielding when I was fighting Tactical >.<)

I'll most likely be at the UK tournament too(Kentucky has had a lot of tournaments lately it seems). Spy's planning to come with me for both tournaments(His Olimar's getting much better too from what I've seen. I haven't seen much of his R.O.B. since he's focusing mostly on Olimar right now.). He just joined smashboards, and he's trying to fit in right now. I rarely post myself, so I really don't know how to introduce him to the community. Please try to make him feel welcome here, because he really wants to join the competetive scene(His username is Hidden spy).

Well, I kind of just went off topic there, but we hope to see you guys at UK and Morehead:)

( Btw, I joined Kentucky Brawlers on AiB as well.)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
This should also be posted in the Midwest section.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
And for the possible people that don't go to the S2D thread?

Top Bottom